GB HOMEPAGE

The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers)

Posted By: nickie

The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/21/08 08:29 AM

The old thread reached its page limit, so here we are again! I'm just wondering - haven't heard much about the new added downloadable content. Was it not fun? Or maybe folks haven't had time to play it yet? Or?
Posted By: threads

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/21/08 10:16 AM

Nickie - my computer wasn't man enough to play it. Am re-playing the old one.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/21/08 11:39 AM

It's still sitting on my desktop. I have had several tons of mulch with my name on them the last couple of weekends!

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/21/08 03:10 PM

Sorry to hear that Threads. At least the main game is playing for you - no problems?
Ack Drac - that's a lot of mulch! Do you grow vegetables?
Posted By: Mad

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/21/08 04:24 PM

Hi nickie smile

My unplayed stack of games is getting so ridiculously high and unstable that I have put trying out the new Witcher stuff on hold for now.

[I downloaded this first release of the two (or is it three) new doses and then put it on a CD for safekeeping.]

Hopefully a BIG treat in store !!

Cheers.

Mad broccoli

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/21/08 10:40 PM

Nickie, this is for all my many perennial beds. I have about 2 more tons to spread this weekend! Ummm.... do I grow vegetables. I guess the 200 tomato plants and 150 pepper plants I have under the grow lights in the basement would count, right? grin I don't have a tomato patch; I have a tomato forest !

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/21/08 11:39 PM

Mad, does that mean you've put your foot down and aren't buying any more? No? Timberrrrrr! devil

Wow Drac, a forest is right! Tomtaoes, peppers - would I be way off base to guess you make your own salsa?

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/21/08 11:45 PM

Dang, you're good, nickie! How about to the tune of about 50 gallons every year? About 7 or 8 of us get together every summer for a Salsa Party. We split it up between us. My speciality is a chipotle salsa from my own jalapenos that are smoked on a wood fire and dried.

See why I'm madly gaming as much as I can before gardening season sets in! I WILL be making an exception when that Witcher upgrade comes out though...

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/21/08 11:51 PM

Sounds wonderful! And just about enough for all of us here. whistle

OK, just wondering if you all had played that new little bit and just weren't telling me. razz

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/22/08 12:58 AM

Welllll... hubby just called and he's decided to spend the night at the farm where a bunch of guys are turkey hunting and fishing. Hmmm.... I have the entire evening to myself... what to do... Shall I reload The Witcher and try out that new addition... Decisions, decisions, decisions...
Posted By: looney

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/22/08 02:23 AM

Wow Drac, can I put in my order now? The hotter the better too! Yum yum yum... devil

Now, I guess I'm a little confused about the new Witcher stuff, is it coming out in several installments?
I was hoping for a nice big chunk all at once. I haven't played it cuz I'm waiting for that.

I can't wait to get back to it! devilchili

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/22/08 02:24 AM

Hi smile

"Mad, does that mean you've put your foot down and aren't buying any more? No? Timberrrrrr!"

You did go see the Doc, nickie ????
If not, you need to .... asking questions like that !! rotfl

Cheers.

Mad kissy

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/22/08 04:03 AM

You're right, Mad! There is no excuse for not buying more games!

Wish I could get you some, looney! Our salsa is famous and highly sought after. The majority we make in a "middle of the road" heat because there are so many different tastes to satisfy. But I also make about 50 pints of my "Slap Me On The A** and Call Me Sally" heat. It's usually the most popular! The smoked chipotles add a smokey taste to the heat and I grow a special tomato fairly high in sugar content, so it is quite a taste!

The BIG Witcher upgrade is supposed to be released in May sometime, but it might be later. This patch with the new adventure was released along with the D’jinni beta adventure editor. I think it was to keep us addicts in game playing!

The new adventure - supposedly a couple of hours of gameplay - is very strange without any of the voice acting. I will play it because it adds to the story of Geralt before, but it's weird.

I will say no more, but I now have a clue as to the identity of the assassin in the ending though!

Nickie, let me know if you want me to send you these new patches or if you want to wait for the big one. I didn't download the D'jinni one because I'll never have that much time!

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/22/08 04:47 AM

Hi smile

From one of my "Witcher" newsletters I got the impression that there might eventually be three new "add on" adventures for free download .... Unless, of course, I am just plain getting over excited laugh

Cheers.

Mad yes

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/22/08 06:10 AM

I'll just wait for the big one Drac, thanks!
Posted By: maggie57

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/23/08 02:24 AM

Nickie- devilchili devilchili devilchili

I downloaded the new add on and find it boring with no talk, you hear all the other sounds but that and well, not sure if it fits in, but it may be me waiting for the big one. I gave up on the other and will wait.

maggie wave catrub :spring:

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/23/08 05:09 AM

Thanks Maggie! I guess they just hurried something out to soothe our Witcher habit.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/23/08 12:36 PM

It is very disconcerting with background sounds and no voices. I'm sure you're right, nickie!
Posted By: Milee10

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/24/08 06:59 AM

Really? The patch and added game content that was released recently isn't the finished product? I'm not speaking of the tool set (I know it's a BETA release) because I'm not into making my own anything.

Maybe the missing voices will be put in for the big release next month think.

Marilyn

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/24/08 12:27 PM

No, Milee, this is just an extra chapter to play. It's kind of a prequel and is supposed to have about 2 hours of gameplay. I'm hoping too that the voices will be included with the "big" upgrade. Like Nickie says, I think they're just trying to tide us over!

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/24/08 04:01 PM

Hi smile

I'm getting confused .... which is certainly not unusual lol

So is the big free download in May going to include the "voiceless" extra that I've already just downloaded - but with voices ??

I thought all downloads would be different woozy ....

This recent voiceless download was no 1.
The one in May would be no 2.
And that there might be at least one other in the pipeline.

think think

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/24/08 05:14 PM

Thanks Drac! I knew this had the extra add-on, but like Mad I'm confused about what the difference is between this download and the one coming out next month. What I'm wondering is if the one released this month could actually be called a sort of 'BETA' release and the one coming out next month will be a 'polished' version of what's out now, OR.....if these are (like Mad suggested) two completely different upgrades headscratch.

I realize that there may not be a clear answer just yet, but I've been fretting about whether or not to just wait until the next release and not worry about the download that's out now. If this current one is just something to tide us over until the 'real' one comes out, I can certainly wait.

I'm still trying to finish 'Silent Hill 4' which I haven't had anytime for it seems, but if I can wait another month for the next Witcher patch/upgrade, that gives me some extra leeway.

Marilyn duh

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/25/08 04:43 PM

Hi, you wont believe this think though perhaps you will. My day has been like a jig-saw puzzle - all my days appear to be like jig-saw puzzles - but today someone has been removing one piece only to replace it with another. That meant using the telephone to try to cancel appointments to fit more urgent ones in.
In the end I gave up and loaded the game.
Am in the very early part of Chapter Two of the old Witcher. When I levelled up again cry I'd could not remember how. cry cry cry My talents had increase but was unable to use them. help

One thing I have got down to a fine art is making potions. Have loads of potions - will soon start selling them.

Now I have Mr. P breathing down my neck so have to say goodnght all.

Alice

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/25/08 05:04 PM

Hi Alice, I'm glad you could immerse yourself in the game for a while away from life's chaotic pace. You need to find a place for Geralt to meditate -- generally asking someone who is a friend to him to meditate at their place, or using a campfire. Once you get the meditation mode on your screen, click on the icon on the top right of your screen with his head, I think it is. Wait, if you've made loads of potions, you're already doing this, except you're in the potion screen rather than the attributes screen. You're just a different icon away. Once you're in the correct screen, click on the various skills on the left side of your screen, such as intelligence, a magic skill, fighting skill or whatever, and on the right side of the screen, various possible enhancements will show for that particular skill. Click on what you want to improve in that skill. You do not have to go in sequence, clicking on each circle, unless a skill requires it and tells you so.
Is that what you needed, or is there something else?
Posted By: Trail_Mystic

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/25/08 06:58 PM

I know that everyone likes games with voice acting, but I'd like to put forward a theory. Remember that this update (aside from being free for previous owners... wink) included the tool-set that will also allow fans to build new adventures for Geralt and crew. If you're familiar with the NWN style of fan adventures, while some do integrate voice acting many use snippets from the original, but for the most part you are reading the dialogue.

My guess/theory is that the extra bit that was given this time around was done so to show case the new and improved toolset and really isn't a true "expansion".

C'mon folks, just use your imagination and you'll be fine... Besides it's good to read, keeps the old neurons working lol

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/26/08 10:38 AM

Nickie - am doing that but the number of bronze talents never alter.
Think I'm gradually going around the bend with this computer - I can receive e-mails but not send them. Think I must wait until Tuesday when David, I hope, is calling to update Incredimail.
rolleyes

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/26/08 02:11 PM

Oh, I thought you meant you solved that problem and it worked at one time and you had forgotten. You never solved why the bronze talents weren't being used at all? Do the circles that you click on to use the talents light up when you click them?

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/26/08 02:45 PM

And are you clicking on a personal traits like strength or intelligence; or one of the things like Igni; or one of the fighting styles first before trying to click on the talent circles?

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/26/08 05:38 PM

So Trail, you think this current download could be just a 'plug' for the new tool-set and the main objective is for people to start modding their own adventures?? I sure hope not, but you never know.
Posted By: oldman

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/26/08 07:51 PM

Has anyone seen this?

I had read that the re-release was going to be 16 May but it looks like the wait will be a little longer. How long? We are not being told yet.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/26/08 11:32 PM

I mentioned it but didn't give the link - thanks!

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/27/08 04:22 AM

Hi smile

Yes. I've seen it. And it backs up the idea I got of there being three new adventures ....

The one that's already been released (with no voices) plus the two more mentioned in that announcement ??

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/27/08 05:08 PM

help please - I need to download the 1.2a patch for the older game and can't find it anywhere.
rolleyes
Be back in the morning when the Plumber leaves. (Some one has been playing with my jig-saw puzzle again rotfl)

Alice cry

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/27/08 06:28 PM

Here is the 1.1a patch. Although at the same place, down the page I see the 1.2 patch, it doesn't come up for me (instead showing the newest 1.3 patch). I will say that a lot of us without Vista had to go back to the 1.1a patch from the 1.2 though.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 04/28/08 01:27 PM

Thanks for trying, Nickie - am getting along quite fine with the 1.2 patch so will leave it at that.

It is nearly 2.30pm and the plumber still hasn't turned up. Daniel came to make my tootsies more comfort able over an hour ago.

Can't settle down to much although I'm determined to go make another cuppa when I've posted this. (By Murphy's Law that should have the plumber ringing thedoor bell rotfl)

See ya.

Alice

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/01/08 09:10 PM

Yes Mad, that's how I read it also. Two brand new adventures and a rewrite on the original thumbsup.

I like how they always say 'in a few days' and it's now May 1st with no word yet about the release date headscratch. I'm going to wait regardless. Guess it'll get here when it gets here.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/01/08 11:30 PM

It was supposed to be released May 16, and the developers said it would be a short while after that. I know it's hard to be patient when a game is this much fun.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/02/08 02:32 AM

Oh this is just torture! I haven't played at all, just waiting for the new stuff! I'm waiting so I can play it all at once like a whole new Geralt adventure!

I want it now! pacify

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/02/08 03:26 AM

Me too, looney!

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/02/08 03:32 AM

Hey Drac! I'm so glad I have company! Just think, if this keeps up we'll have enough threads to make a Witcher quilt! lol

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/02/08 05:46 AM

Ouch! Who just threw that quilting needle? laugh

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/02/08 06:03 AM

HI-

I have put the game back on to play again, downloaded the new patch and the new little game, what is this about a rewrite of the story, are we going to have to buy a new game or is this part of the new download with other parts of new game for this month??????? This will be my third time through when I start again, but want the new stuff too.

Thanks

maggie think wave :spring: broccoli

Nickie-

It wasn't me, I can barely sew a button on!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rotfl rotfl

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/02/08 06:23 AM

All the game content that is in the new release will be available for download free to registered owners of the original game. There are extras with the new game like the book that won't probably be downloadable.
Are you sure that wasn't you throwing that,Maggie? You said you can't sew, but you didn't say you can't throw! Aha! grin

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/03/08 02:52 AM

Nickie- devilchili

I could say I have two broken arms, but I do not. Guess I did get confused, hey did you just throw that dish at meeeeeeeeee!!! If the book is not for download, where will we be able to buy it do you know??

Take care and Hugs

maggie shame rotfl rotfl wave

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/03/08 03:44 AM

You two stop tossing my quilting needles, I need them to make the quilt! shame
Look, if I don't keep busy making the quilt, I'm gonna go bonkers waiting! woozy

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/03/08 05:13 AM

Looney- bravo

You go Bonkers, I have already gone bonkers with the wait, wait, wait. If was your needles or talking to myself and I can't get myself to answer!!!!!!!!!! rotfl rotfl hardwall smashpc

maggie wave

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/03/08 05:31 AM

I don't know which book was being considered as an addition to the new game, but as far as I know, the author of the Witcher series that the game is based on, has only had one book translated to English from Polish so far. That doesn't mean that there isn't a second one that will make its debut with the game though. The first one translated can be purchased here at amazon.com. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but did thumb through to see Geralt's name throughout.

I didn't throw the dish Maggie - I use paper plates so I don't have to wash dishes. devil It was me throwing the crayons!

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/03/08 09:44 AM

hardwall Hi, think we are all going bonkers waiting on Geralt. I received a J-Lawsen e-card this morning from ME to ME. How on earth did I manage that?
My dumb computer has suddenly started actually Sending e-mails today. For weeks it would only receive. think Perhaps that is a one-off and it wot happen again rolleyes

I'm still pottering about in the Swamps, accidently picking up quests but never appear to complete any. rotfl

Oh, by the way, the plumber actually turned up y'day afternoon, thank heavens.

Well, back to the swamps. It is a holiday weekend over here so hope to make the most of it.

Nickie - I use paper plates to save washing-up. If I start throwing things it will probably be burger
grin

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/03/08 02:06 PM

The swamps part of the game does seem to go on a long time. With all those big swords and powerful magic Geralt has, shouldn't he be able to make some of that undergrowth that gets in the way disappear?

Threads, did you really just throw that hamburger??? It is now on top of Looney's quilting needle, and she won't be happy! And I can't think why it isn't a good idea to send a card to yourself nice person! grin

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/03/08 03:02 PM

A "Witcher Quilting Bee! I'll bet that's a first!

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/04/08 01:05 AM

Drac- yay yay

Carefull or Nickie will throw plates at you too. I use paper plates too, get them at Walmart, they are coated so the food does not soak through. A Witcher Quilting Bee, if you do that, all I can do is sew buttons, will you add buttons to it please. Oh and I can also sew a zipper on, but have never heard of one for a quilt. Threads, have you ever made a Quillo??????

maggie think wave burger :spring:
Posted By: Yankee Clipper

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/04/08 12:29 PM

Oh,OH move over Mr Geralt Witcher - Iron Man's comming to town. Yup, it's a game. And You Are On Preorder.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/05/08 04:28 PM

This game is a great puzzlement. It appears to be leading me by the nose. Last time I loaded the game for an hour it led me into the last situation I wanted. Straight into Yaehvin's camp and found myself leading them straight into the Golems graveyard. Afterwards went back to the Hairy Bear only to discover they had been attacked and Coleman (the man who drank the night away with Ramsmeat) killed because someone using the Hairy Bear had done just that!!!!

And I'm trying hard to remain neutral. I walked into the Elf camp while looking for beggertick flowers.

When I next have time to play certainly hope I can get it going my way.

rolleyes

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/05/08 04:44 PM

Glad you're able to play a little Threads. I think it's hard to stay neutral. I can just imagine you merrily picking those flowers and then finding yourself leading the rebellion. lol

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/06/08 12:40 AM

The exact same thing happened to me the first time I played, Threads! I was looking for beggerticks and ran right into Yaehvinn's camp! Did the same thing too...

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/06/08 10:46 AM

Drac - did you manage to get back on the other track - if so please tel me how thanks

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/06/08 12:09 PM

No, I didn't. I also stayed neutral that time. I think once you make certain decisions, you lose the opportunity to take a different track. But I'm not sure. Maybe nickie or someone else has a better feel for whether you can do it...

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/06/08 05:35 PM

I did things that weren't neutral, and there still comes a point in a later chapter - when you return to the town and it is under siege where you're asked to take a side. The only big thing I saw affected up until that point - if you help the Yaevinn folks the Order's armorer won't do anything for you, and I would guess it is the same for those who help the Order in regard to the dwarf blacksmith.
Well, along the way a few quests do come out differently too, come to think of it. Like the one with the guy at the inn, which you already saw Threads, and what you did in the early chapter when you see the elves taking equipment at the river.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/07/08 01:46 AM

HI-

I have put The Witcher on again with the update and all and started playing it again today, find that I really miss this game when not playing it. Just gets you hooked and I am sunk. So I am happy to be with Geralt and fight the fights.

maggie wave hearts :spring:

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/07/08 02:33 AM

Just couldn't resist, could you?? grin

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/07/08 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: nickie
I can just imagine you merrily picking those flowers and then finding yourself leading the rebellion. lol

I think I once did something like that in my youth. Only they weren't flowers exactly and I really wasn't "picking" them per say...oh, nevermind... whistle

lol

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/07/08 05:51 AM

rotfl Oh man, do I ever want to hear that story!

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/07/08 10:19 AM

Spill it, Trail! lol

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/07/08 01:18 PM

I think the board would disintegrate if he actually told it, so perhaps that one is better left to the imagination. laugh

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/07/08 02:15 PM

ummmm..agreed. So how is that Geralt guy doing anyway...? wink

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/07/08 11:36 PM

Nice segue, dear! I was hoping you wouldn't tell, actually!! My imagination is quite sufficient!

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/08/08 12:13 AM

Trail- lol

Geralt is nice, sexy and oh so much fun to have him in the game.

Maggie wave hearts broccoli

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/08/08 12:22 AM

shame Now, now Maggie, you're going to make me want to play it again! grin

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/10/08 06:32 AM

Nickie- devilchili

I am my third go through and am already in part 3, it seems to go faster once you remember so much. I don't think I shall tire of the game at all, but would love it if the company came out with a Witcher 2..............................Now Nickie, that would knock your socks off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rotfl rotfl

maggie wave broccoli :spring:

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/10/08 06:56 AM

You bet, Maggie! laugh I think it likely that there will be a sequel, considering the unexpected success of the first. But will they stick to the great format - sure hope so.
Have you played the game differently the third time around? Gone with a different side, etc?

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/13/08 03:31 AM

Nickie- devilchili

No

I have stayed with the order, next time the other side. But I am finding lots of new conversations I have never had before, also certain hideouts I have never been before. I do hope they keep the style of game, especially point and click and keep Geralt, that would be a true loss. cry cry smashpc
maggie wave broccoli happydance

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/13/08 03:32 AM

I can't stand it! I'm going stark raving bonkers crazy

Is it time yet?

grin

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/13/08 03:35 AM

Looney- thumbsup
Why are you going bonkers, not that we all aren't. Is it because you are waiting for the other The Witcher games????????????? I will be old, so old by the time they ever get here!!!!!!!!!!! rotfl rotfl

maggie wave

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/13/08 03:56 AM

Hi Maggie! Yeah, I'm holding off from playing until the new stuff is officially out. I'm thinking if I wait long enough it'll be like a whole new adventure with the White Wolf again...

But by golly it's taking forever! lol

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/13/08 05:46 AM

I know! And the more I play other games, the more I think I should just put The Witcher back on anyway.

So you preferred the Order, Maggie? That's interesting.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/13/08 06:41 AM

Nickie and Looney- devilchili yay

Well I did and didn't, but they were with the King and just was not sure. I just finished the game, that last guy, the one Geralt killed at the end, sure wonder who he was?
I will keep my game on and start on Rhem 3 now, just going Bonkers waiting and waiting and waiting.

Maggie wave thumbsup broccoli

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/14/08 11:52 PM

I am playing the free little game we all downloaded. It has three pits, they are full of Kikimores. Has anyone played this game, I keep spending forever in the first pit and never go further as the two of us can't seem to kill all of them. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

maggie think think wave

I got the game finished, short, but very good. Answer is here.

Click to reveal..
use Aard Sign on Eggs, then Big Kikamore comes for you

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/15/08 06:18 AM

Good for you Maggie, and look at that nice shiney spoiler box! grin

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/15/08 06:46 PM

Nickie- devilchili

Yes, I am very proud of you, I never knew I could do one. they are a great help. Thanks so much , have just started my fourth go through of The Witcher, yes I know that is alot, but I love playing it and wish the other ones would show up soon. I am just a Witcher Addict!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rotfl rotfl

maggie wave thanks broccoli

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/15/08 08:35 PM

Let me tell you, you are not alone! rotfl

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/15/08 11:33 PM

Nickie- devilchili

I figured we are all addicts of The Witcher here, do you have the game back on again too???? rotfl

Take care

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/16/08 02:20 PM

Not yet, but I'm like a moth drawn to the light! grin

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/17/08 06:06 AM

Nickie- devilchili

Yes, I know what you mean, I am in part 2 and still enjoying it, don't know why with all the other RPG's, except this one was made so well and the storyline is so good.

Take care

maggie wave broccoli tomato

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/19/08 04:48 PM

This afternoon had another visit from one of the technicians from the place which makes my computers. Strangely both my hairdresser and the man who tickles my tootsies lol have both bought new 'puters - Vista. Yesterday day discovered one of my neighbours had gone to a local shop to buy a computer - he wanted to get on the Internet and was only offered Vista. Bought one and is now having lots of trouble.

John knows well I have avoided Vista for several reasons. Having first assured me he could still obtain Windows XP, he checked my computer hardware. It is more than man enough to take Witcher 1.3 and Sacred 2. Pointed out it had refused the 1.3 taster so he investigated that. Altered a few menus I didn't know existed, and downloaded the 1.3 taster. He loaded the game I was playing and it worked normally from my last 'save' so mentioned the taster was actually silent - no sound at all - you folk (Maggie) had needed to start a new game, so he did. Only played for a while but all the sound was there.

Then he increased the size of the font on the computer - not the icons on the desktop, so I can actually read what I have typed, then investigated why I could receive e-mails but not send them.

Also updated my NVIDIA cards.

Made suggestions as to how he can make life easier for me with a new Tower containing all of it present innards, to sit on the desk top with the printer on top. Then went away to price it.

I left the 'puter to have a snack for supper, returned to tidy up the icons on the screen - and, do you know, I dont think the 1.3 download to desktop was actually installed.

blush please tell me how to open the zipped files, with what, and how and where to do it. blush

When it is available will definitely buy the New Witcher - for one thing my DVD is beginning to look exhausted.

This may not be the expense I thought it might be. Should know in a few days.

rolleyes
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/19/08 06:27 PM

Alice, you should be able to right click on the zipped file and say "extract all".

Ana luck

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/19/08 08:01 PM

Hey Alice,

You can tell if your have 1.3 loaded by clicking "New Game" from the main menu. If on the next screen you have the "New Adventures" selection available to the right, you have the patch. wave

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/19/08 09:10 PM

Yes, Alice. What Trail said. If it isn't there, Ana's suggestion will be what you need to do. After it's extracted into its own file folder, you just double click on it and follow the prompts. The guy may have just left the zipped file on your desktop after he installed it...
Posted By: hagatha

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/20/08 01:16 AM

Witcher runs reasonably well on my computer, but I'm having a heck of a time reading that manual.

I've got a question about levelling up. The game notified me that I had levelled, and when I went into the Hero screen, I had three bronze thingumijigs, which I assumed I could spend on skills. But I couldn't figure out how.

I then meditated, and when I went into the Hero screen again to see if I could work it out, the three bronze things were gone without my having done anything with them.

Can someone tell me what I should have done, how to use the level up screen? My eyes can't cope with brown font on brown paper in tiny font. I just can't read it.

Edit. Argh. Now I really don't understand. I reloaded and went through the sequence in the lab again, where Leo dies, but now I get no bronze things, nor do I get the level up message.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/20/08 01:44 AM

I can so totally relate to the brown on tan thing. The only way I can read these manuals is to take them out in the bright sun. I guess they assume all their players have young eyesight!

At first leveling up can be tricky. Most of the time you will be notified when you can level up, but either it didn't do it all the time or sometimes I missed it.

Go into meditation mode. Click on the Hero screen to bring up Geralt's stats. Look to make sure you have a few bronze talents to spend. Later you will get silver and gold ones. If you have some talents to spend, then look to the left at all your options. You will have character traits like Intelligence, Strength etc. Then you will have other things like your spells such as Aard and Igni. Down below that are your different fighting skills in both steel and silver. Steel is used for humans and silver for monsters in general. Pick one of any of the above! Let's say you pick Strength, so you click on strength. Then go to the "tree" on the right. Normally you start on the left end of it and work your way up. You do not necessarily have to do them in order either, but you will have to at least select the "I" before you can advance to the "II, III" etc. You can hover your mouse over each of the talent circles to see what it will gain you in the attribute or skill you selected.

If you select a spell such as Igni, all your options in the tree will be different. Same if you select one of your fighting skills. They options change with each change in your selection. Spend your talents, make sure you select at least an hour or some amount of time to complete your meditation and you are done. I think if you just exit the screen with finishing the meditation with some amount of time, the character advancement won't take.

Have fun!
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/20/08 01:46 AM

thanks Drac puppy

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/20/08 01:50 AM

L4L, I know all you mods are covering for nickie, but I hope to pick up at least a tiny bit of slack for her whenever I can...

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/20/08 02:19 AM

Well, trust me, we really appreciate the help. I haven't played most of the games so hearing from those who have is a Godsend bravo

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/20/08 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
I think if you just exit the screen with finishing the meditation with some amount of time, the character advancement won't take.

That stinks. I've never played a game where you could lose your advancement points before. But that's obviously what happened. And reloading and runing through the sequence again didn't help -- I never got the advancement notification again, at least not that I could see.

That's not a very encouraging start to the game.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/20/08 03:11 AM

All I can say is it's worth it if you stick with the "learning curve!" Most of the time you get at least an hour, but you can advance the hour-glass to any of the 4 main parts of the day. You will actually use the time advancement in later parts of the game. If you click on the Journal and then go to tutorials there should be a small part on character advancement.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/20/08 03:24 AM

I'm about ready to give up on the game. I've now levelled up twice and have no skill points. Something is very wrong. I don't think I'll bother continuing. There's no point.

Edit: I went from level one to level three somehow, in all of the cutscenes between Kaer Morden and the next locale, where the green dogs are. These being cut scenes, there was no opportunity to even know I was levelling up, let alone look for skill points -- or do anything at all. This just can't be right.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/20/08 09:58 AM

You won't be able to level-up unless you are stopped at a fire to meditate. Going directly into the "Hero" screen won't show any points to distribute or allow you to level if you haven't actually gone through the meditation sequence; it only shows your past progress. Also, you shouldn't lose points just for pulling out of meditation without distributing talents. Talents should be able to be distributed any time you want any amount you want. In other words if you don't want to distribute your talents because you're "saving up" for something that requires more than you currently have, then you just complete your meditation and go back to the game. The talents should accululate over and above what ever you didn't distribute the last time you meditated to level-up.

I'm wondering if you just didn't complete a cycle of meditation by setting a specified time and then clicking the hour glass while in meditation. If you didn't do that after distributing the talents then the regular Hero screen will not show any additional points. It took me a bit of time to get used to not being able to track level progress in the same manner as the D&D games.

Also, Geralt will show level advances but, will not gain any new skills unless you distribute the talents.

This is why I have a bias towards the D&D games, it's all in the numbers and easy to see in a glance where you are....

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/20/08 11:50 AM

Definitely everything that Trail says. I have saved up talents sometimes because I really didn't need to level up any of my skills to complete a quest.

And your progress as a Witcher is shown on the upper right of the screen.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/20/08 04:45 PM

lol Well - I checked everything you all advised me to check and it had been installed. And I am going to uninstall it. I sincerely hope the new version is exactly the same as the old version, except for coming across these new quests here and there. Realise new quests will affect the rest of the game and, of course, I believe that the producers have tried to not duplicate characters ie: At the moment the ferryman looks as though he is a clone of the thug hanging around outside the Hairy Bear. Another example is the fact one meets the gravedigger as several different characters.

Anyway, half an hour with the 'taster' could have ruined any love I have for the game.

Hagatha - I've never to date, completed the game - the whole thing has been a learning curve for me. The thing which stumped me most was the meditation and leveling up business. But I can tell you some things. When in meditation, in the Character screen, up near the top of the right side of the screen, there are small buttons over whch will be written 'Novice', or 'Novice Witcher'. Believe there are eight, or even might be ten of these 'buttons', run your cursor through and above the left hand button and it should tell how many experience points you have gained and how many you need to reach the next level. Think you can only use your talents every so often. Can't swear to this but will check in a day or so which will be the next time I might get a chance to load the game.

Anyway didn't worry me much because Geralt was get stronger and stronger whatever happened.

With my poor sight I was reading the screen with a magnifying glass (the computer technician who came y'day has altered something on my 'puter which has increased the size of the font on every thing so I can see my typing errors - may God Bless him)

I overcame not being able to read the manual by printing it out in A4 size - It was well worth the time and paper. I believe the chance to do that is on the DVD. Can someone correct me if that is wrong, please.

Must pull the plug - have to do certain chores now to prepare for tomorrow.

rolleyes

Forgot to mention - buy, steal or otherwise obtain every book or scroll and READ it so its contents enter your glossary. Once you have bought it, and read it, you can sell it back, or dump it on the ground to make a space for somethig more important. If you are buying from someone the game will tell you if you have already read it. There is so much you cannot do unless you have read the book.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/20/08 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: threads
lol Well - I checked everything you all advised me to check and it had been installed. And I am going to uninstall it. I sincerely hope the new version is exactly the same as the old version, except for coming across these new quests here and there. Realise new quests will affect the rest of the game

Actually, the new adventures will not have any effect on the main story line as they are a separate "game" from the other. In order to play the new quests you have to select New from the main menu and then New Adventures.

If you can keep track of your save games you could actually play two different Witcher games so to speak; one with the original main and the other in the New Adventures. smile

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/21/08 05:30 AM

Hey thanks, Boomies. I am now able to level up happily.

This looks like a good game. I wish it performed better on my computer -- the load times are horrendous -- but otherwise it promises to be a lot of fun.

What did they do, poll ten thousand women to come up with what Wolfie should look like? grin

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/21/08 06:26 AM

That's good to hear..er...read hagatha bravo It takes a little time to get into the game and it's controls, but once you do its really quite addictive...

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/21/08 10:48 AM

Oh, yes, we women are all swooning over The White Wolf!

Have you downloaded the 1.2 patch? It decreased the load times for me by a huge amount. A few people have had trouble with it and have gone back to the 1.1 patch which was released shortly after the game was, but it worked beautifully for me.

You definitely need at least 2 GB of RAM for this game...

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/21/08 02:38 PM

yay Hagatha wave

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/21/08 08:05 PM

Hagatha yay devilchili

So glad to hear you are doing so well, I am in my fourth go through of the game and just love Geralt. The game would not be the same without him. Drac, do I hear you swooning over my White Wolf!!!!!!!!!!!!! rotfl rotfl

Good Luck and glad to see you here.

maggie wave broccoli

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/22/08 04:33 AM

Patch, huh? That would be good.

I'm really not supposed to be playing games at all right now (my M&M VI jag notwithstanding) but I've got two or three good ones waiting and anyway I miss being on GB. I've spent WAY too much time doing the serious hardworking professional by day/angsty struggling artiste by night thing, and it's time for some FUN.

Any way, the load times aside, the game looks great. I've got some framerate stutter as well, but I doubt I can do anything about it. I'll try reinstalling it on my D drive, which has a lot more space on it, and see if that works.

I've been dashing around at night getting experience from those dayglo ghouly dogs and putting points into alchemy and sword skills. Wish I could find someone to buy those skulls, though.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/22/08 05:05 AM

Originally Posted By: hagatha
...angsty struggling artiste by night ...

Angsty? I couldn't find that in my Pocket Oxford lol

As for the barghests skulls there is a Alchemist/Herbalist just outside the inn that I think will buy the skulls, but there is also a quest associated with them as well. Check the board in front of the inn, I think there is a contract available regarding those....

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/22/08 05:20 AM

Hmph. Shows what you know. Only a true artiste could possibly understand.

I've already done the skull quest. Now I need...MORE BRAINS! scared

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/22/08 05:24 AM

Hmph. Shows what you know. Only a true artiste could possibly understand.

Ah, that explains it razz

lol

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/22/08 05:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Trail_Mystic
Ah, that explains it razz lol

Yes. You must be one with the cosmic awfulness of things to know true angstiness.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/22/08 06:02 AM

One more question. I have an axe, but it isn't a very good one. Somene outside the Inn dropped a much better one, but even after I dropped the old axe I could not pick up the new one, ostensibly because my inventory was too full, according to the message I got. But the space for the axe was empty, in my inventory.

Bug, or operator error?

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/22/08 06:50 AM

Since he uses the swords, you have to put any other weapon in that same box where you can keep a torch, which is below the others on the character screen. Weapons won't go into inventory unfortunately.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/22/08 07:48 AM

Hi-

There is a box next to where the torch goes and the axe will fit in it, mine does and it is also a good one.

maggie wave luck

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/22/08 10:38 AM

Indeed, it does sound like time for some fun for you, Hagatha! I think it was looney who had much better luck with her game after she installed a larger hard drive. Have you tried lowering some of the settings in the video options screen? You can get the patch here.

I'm assuming the 1.3 patch includes all the previous ones since it's the only one available for download now...

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/23/08 01:12 AM

I won't be able to download the 1.3 patch right now as I can't register my game, it being on a non-Internet-connected computer.

I have downloaded the 1.1 patch and can transfer it using a cd.

However, the download site says that you have to start a new game in order for the changes to take effect. Is that true? has anyone tried that patch on an existing game?

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/23/08 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: maggie57
Hi-

There is a box next to where the torch goes and the axe will fit in it, mine does and it is also a good one.

maggie wave luck

I already had an axe. When I dropped the old one I assumed that i would be able to pick up the new one, but I couldn't.

Oh, and I was not able to pick up the torch I found, either. Same message -no room.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/23/08 01:55 AM

That's one of the complaints about the game - not enough room in the inventory to pick up extra weapons. I think there is supposed to be some improvement in the inventory in the new download when it is released, but I don't know if it will address this.

Right now they are only offering the 1.3 patch and I believe that is true that you have to start a new game. I think Maggie was able to continue playing without doing that, but I can't remember for sure.

I would be more than happy to burn the 1.2 patch to a CD and send it to you if that would help. It sure made the game a lot more enjoyable for me by reducing those horrid load times.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/23/08 02:03 AM

Thanks for the offer. I might be able to find the 1.2 patch somewhere on the Internet. I did find 1.1, so 1.2 might be kicking around somewhere.

Otherwise -- can I register the game without connecting directly to the website from the game -- do I have to have the game installed on the computer I register it with? Or can I just go to the websste and register my game on this laptop? If I have to start again I might as well use the updated patch if I can.

But I really just wanted to come home and play.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/23/08 02:05 AM

That's an interesting question. I'm not sure. I'm a registered member on the forums - I'll go ask... I did find the 1.2 patch on filefront too...

EDIT: Hagatha, I've read a dozen posts and everything seems to point to having to have the game on a computer connected to the internet. I'm getting the impression you can only register the game from the initial game screen when you load it, but I'm not sure.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/23/08 02:09 AM

From the forums I scanned it seems to be hit and miss. The patch 1.1a is apparently more recent than 1.1, but both state the following in their release notes:

- A whole lot of localization fixes (some of them won't work with old savegames!).

So, it appears that it's a "depends" situation. If your saved games references one of the changes then you may have problems. I would venture to guess that if you are still fairly early in the game you might not have as much of a chance in having issues.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/23/08 02:23 AM

I'm under the impression it's only the 1.3 patch that may require starting over. I know the 1.2 patch didn't. But like you say, "depends." I know nickie had to uninstall 1.2 and play with 1.1 because of some issues.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/23/08 03:42 AM

Well, I installed 1.1 over my existing saves, and the framerate imrpoved a lot, and it also seemed that the load times were better. I then turned off anti-alisasing and turned everything down to medium, and the save/load times are better yet. Not great, but better. Maybe 30 seconds instead up to a couple of minutes. I still dread going through doors, though.

Rather than start again I may try to play this way. I suspect that the real culprit is my video card, which only just meets the requirements. And there's masses of space on my computer -- more than enough for this or any other game I could throw at it, so it can't be that. It's gettng to be time for a new computer anyway. I'll get one put together with the best video card I can find and set that one up to be my Internet-connected machine.

I am tripping over old computers, though. I may haul one of them up to our place on the Island so I can play games there as !well. Whee. Gaming while on holiday. Seems overly self-indulgent, for some reason.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/23/08 03:54 AM

Whee. Gaming while on holiday. Seems overly self-indulgent, for some reason.

Never. Game on! wink I've actually taken days off just to game...Scary isn't it..

Glad it's working a bit better for you.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/23/08 04:04 AM

Meh, on second thought...I'm going to start over again. I haven't got too far and I have experienced a couple of bugs already. There's definitely something wrong with the inventory. I SHOULD be able to pick up a torch if there's a space for it in my inventory.

I located the 1.2 patch and am downloading it as we "speak."

Can it be loaded over the 1.1 patch?

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/23/08 04:25 AM

Yes, you can load 1.2 over the top of 1.1

Good thing you are starting over with 1.2 now. Although the dev's originally said you should be able to use saves from 1.1 after loading 1.2 a good number of issues came up with older saves after loading it. Let us know how it goes.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/23/08 04:32 AM

It will be nice to start the game knowing the combat system, at least. I just restarted (using 1.1)and discovered Geralt's nifty sword whack/throat cutting move, which I hadn't seen before.

Anyway, I'll load up the patch and see how it goes.

Edit: Wooo Hooo! It worked like a charm.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/23/08 11:29 AM

So, I'm curious if it helped with the loading times even more than 1.1. I know it did mine.

The only place for a torch is in the lower left spot if I remember correctly. Try dropping everything in the two lower spots and see if you can pick one up then. You can always pick it up again later if it doesn't work.

Have you tried hitting an opponent with Aard and then going in for the coup d' gras? Way fun!!

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/23/08 10:02 PM

Drac-

Do you know if when the new The Witcher comes out and we dowload it, can I put it on a disc, have never done that?????????????? It would save a lot of money not to buy, but to download and just burn to disc.

Thanks

Maggie help wave broccoli :spring:

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/23/08 11:23 PM

Hi Maggie,

All the patches load as a self-extracting file or executable so when you click on the link instead of clicking "Run" in the next window, just click "Save", it will then bring up a Browse window letting you select where you would like to save the file. You can save it to your computer or if you have a CD or DVD burner, save it directly to disk. You can also just save it to your computer and burn it to your disk later. To install, you just double left-click the file in what ever folder or disk you have it stored. smile

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/24/08 02:16 AM

HI Trail-

Thanks so much for the information, never knew how to do it, so I will do that when we get the download. Thanks again so much for your help.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/24/08 07:25 AM

The 1.2 patch definitely speeded up the load times.

But it came with a cost, for me. The framerate stutter is worse in certain areas, and it interferes in combat. Just when I get to that third attack, bam! I'm bounced out of attack mode. It' not so much of a problem now, but I suspect later in the game it will be. I've got everything turned way down on the game, and I'll try futzing around with hardware acceleration, etc. -- al the stuff I had to do years ago to get Morrowing working properly.

I'll also try moving my game saves to another folder and starting with an empty Sav folder each time I play, as this problem seems to get worse as the hours go by.

I have a question. There is a merchant I have to find -- Leuwenvaard. I found his companion's skull -- but now I can't find him in the Inn. I've clicked on everyone at least twice, had a drinking contest, had a couple of fistfights, but I can't find the man. The quest arrow shows him in the Inn, but he is definitely not there. Where is he?

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/24/08 07:56 AM

I'm pretty sure he should be inside the inn (hmmmm, that sounds off doesn't it laugh ) at least during the day. His full name is Declan Leuvaarden and he is a rather heavy-set gentleman with a funny hat and long matching robe/coat. Here is a good pic of him along with a few descriptions. Watch out for spoilers...

Witcher Wiki

That is generally a good site, but being a wiki I have seen a couple inconsistencies here and there. A good example, they don't mention meeting Declan until Act 2...

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/24/08 12:33 PM

Hagatha - the first time I played the game, after giving his friend a 'proper' burial, Declan was in the yard outside the Inn and the dialogue did not allow Geralt to mention his friend.

Next time, at that part of the game he was inside the Inn and immediately showed his appreciation.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/24/08 04:00 PM

I would try to find Leuvaarden at different times inside the inn. If I remember correctly, he is there during the day, but not at night.

Sounds like you will have to decide on a happy medium with framerate stutter and shorter loading times, Hagatha!

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/24/08 08:37 PM

Found him, and have killed the Beast. Now I'm off to investiate Vincent at the Warehouse.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/24/08 09:11 PM

Good news! bravo Did you use your "Sword of Sullen Angst" to off the beast? lol

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/24/08 11:37 PM

Aye, the famous pouting sword, last known to have been wielded by Minsc of Amn. It bores its enemies to death with its powerful kvetching and oiking.

I do have a question about swords. I keep running into other steel swords and wonder if I should drop my Witcher's steel for another.

Er, to rephrase that, I don't actually run into the swords, per se. It's more a question of tripping over them...oh dear...

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/24/08 11:43 PM

lol

As for the swords I personally stuck (ouch) with the witcher's steel since it best suited Geralt's fighting style. You will also come across ways to improve its bite at time goes on...(and get a compainion for it wink )

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/25/08 12:26 AM

I have ore and a rune, but no way to use them yet.

Lost in the swamps, I have decided to let the Cannibal live...for now. But those bloody great weeds are a problem. I don't mind a Ghoul or Drowned dead or three, but those other things are a pain.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/25/08 01:29 AM

Does anyone know of a map of the Swamp? I thought I knew how to get back out, but apparently not. I am stanting at the Tower, which is locked. Gramp's house is quite close. I crossed water to get to it, and I crossed over at the point where there is one of those standng stones. But I can't get back that way, and there doesn't seem to be any other way out. There are two stones nearby, but I can't cross at either of them.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/25/08 01:50 AM

Excellent, Hagatha! More fun and games!

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/25/08 02:20 AM

Hagatha, does this help?

Swamp Map

It has a little bit more detail than the in-game map, but is geared towards Act 3.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/25/08 03:34 AM

And the only way to get back out of the swamp is on the ferry. But that map Trail posted should help you get back to the bricklayer's village.

So how are you enjoying the dreaded swamp and all it's varied and wonderful monsters?!! It's a dangerous place - especially after dark...

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/25/08 04:07 AM

Ah, found my way out of the swamp. Now I've run out of basic Alchemy supplies. I've come to rely on Swallow potions.

I'm having way too much fun. We'll be ordering dinner in tonight.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/25/08 05:30 AM

Hagatha, join the club! I just played the new brief adventure that came with the 1.3 patch. It's without any voices, but I was having withdrawal symptoms!

Yup, read those books and gather those plants and save up those Drowner brains. Buy; sell; make those potions!

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/25/08 06:41 AM

Right now I'm stuck. I can;t kill the doggies. I mean, I could, but for some reason I can't use magic or draw weapons while in Vizima unless someone attacks me first. And I only had one doggie left. They growled at me. Shouldnt've done that. Bad doggies.

I've read a lot of books, but I am short on potion maerials I desperately need to make some Swallow potions. Time to go on an ingredient hunt.

My goodness there's a lot to do in this game. And yet I have the feeling I haen;t done half of the side quests available.

I recused a half-elf and was supposed to meet her at the nonhumans house. We did have a conversation in elvish, and matteres seem to have been concluded in a satisfactory manner, but the quest won't update. I suppose it doesn't matter. I don;t have to solve every quest.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/25/08 08:40 AM

Hagatha- grin thumbsup

I could not kill the dogs either, we have a cat here and well, it does not seem right. I finally found the quanity needed looking in all the houses, and stealing, which you are allowed to do.

good luck

maggie wave

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/25/08 05:03 PM

Hi Hagatha,

That is an odd one. I had that happen with the Barghests and I think so did Drizzt in the swamps at one point. You have to get in really close to your opponent sometimes with sword drawn to attack. Sometimes it's a matter of just clicking the right spot. I actually did the house to house search for tallow rather than going after the dogs.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/25/08 05:34 PM

If you don't have an enemy, you can't fight, but you should be able to draw your swords. That is strange.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/25/08 09:11 PM

If you cannot draw your sword, there is a problem, I would update fully to 1.30 patch. That is what I have on. I can draw my sword at anytime as long as I am not fighting. I generally have it drawn, the silver one for Monsters when I am in the swamp.

Good Luck

maggie wave broccoli

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/25/08 09:41 PM

I've had this happen in other games as well -- in Might and Magic, for instance. After a while it seemed to pass -- like if I reloaded or restarted the game, although that hasn't worked in this game.

I can draw if there's an enemy nearby and the medallion is wobbling so it won't affect me unduly in combat situations.

Unfortunately I can't upgrade to 1.3 for this game right now.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/25/08 11:07 PM

I'd stay away from 1.3 right now anyway. That's the one that may not allow your saved games to work correctly.

As long as you can draw your sword when you need to, you should be good to go!

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/25/08 11:35 PM

Drac- yay

I am playing on my Vista Ultimate and so far have not had any problems with it. I was glad to have it as I had problems with the 1.2, so it could be Vista. But I agree with you, if it works why change it.

Take care

maggie wave broccoli

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/26/08 01:38 AM

Yup, maggie, the operative word here is "may!"

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/26/08 04:04 AM

So, I'm being asked to take sides in the Swamp. Eight of the Sephrots placed, and the Sqirrels and the Knights of the Holy Grand Snivelling Wet Blanket have each asked me to lead their parties to the Golem graveyard.

So -- do I fob them both off? If so, what will happen. I'm not really a law'n order kind of gal, but the squirrels are just a wee bit bloodthirsty for my taste.

I also not even close to solving the "case." I made a bit of an oopsie and told Vizima I knew he was innovent but I also gave the elf's letter to Vincent as well. Not sure what kind of havoc that will wreak, but I do NOT want to end up on the side of the humans. Have I messed this up? I've got so many quests goin at oncce I got confused.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/26/08 04:24 AM

hagatha- devilchili

Yes, you will have to take a side at sometime or not get help later in the game. I chose the Order, the Squirrels were not human and Geralt felt he should go with the humanside. One time I want to help the Squirrels and see what the difference is. Can you get the letter back from the detective to give it to the Dwarf?? If you feel you must stay with the Squirrels, go for it, I found myself with many things to do at the same time too. Luckily I just went slow the first couple of times through and did not push myself.

Good Luck

maggie wave broccoli

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/26/08 05:53 AM

I'm stuck, more or less.

The quests I have left are:

1. to talk to Shani (and I don't get any new dialogue whenever I do, whether I talk to her at her house or in the hospital)
2. to find a lost boy. The Dryad denies it...
3. to place two more of the whatsits in the obelisks in the swamp to open the Tower.
4. To deal with the Golem.
5. To deliver some ancient wine to someone in the inn at night, but he hasn't been there when I've gone.
6. Decide who to support inthe swamp, Squirrels or humans.
7. Get some blood or guts or some other squirmy part of some creature that I can't find, for Kalkstein.

According to my journal the only suspects left are Kalkstein and the big guy that has his own house -- you know, whatshisname, striped pants that just absolutely scream "walk on the wild side," hangs around in bars. I thought Vincent should still be a suspect, but he's not, apparently.

Although I have to say, that detective with the sad story about the dead family looks like a psycho killer to me. I think it's him. Never trust a thin man with a pointy collar, a monocle and a deadpan voice. They're trouble. I reckon it were him what done it, his family and now this, this...whatever this crime is that I'm trying to solve. I've been runing around so much I can't remember what it is. lol

Anyway, I've been running around in circles for a while not knowing what to do next. The only dialogue I have left with either of the two suspects is about Salamandra. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/26/08 06:05 AM

hagatha-

Shani is at her house at midnight. You won't find the lost boy till Vaska tells you that the Salamandra took their men and split them up in camps to do their dirty work.
The wine in the evening at the inn.
Talk to the chief Dryad and he will mention a lightening rod, you need to get one made by someone in town.
That is blood Kalkstein wants, Ghoul Blood.
You have to choose who to side with, go with what you feel is fair.

Hope some of this is help. Did you download and print out the walkthrough from either Gamepressure or Gamebanshee? Both are very good and will help with all but the last I mentioned. The Golem has one of the stones. Has Vaska given you the playing card yet? If she has show it to Kalkstein. I hate to say more and ruin your story for you.

Maggie wave luck

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/26/08 06:15 AM

Yes, pretty much all that maggie said! However, you also have a choice to not take either side and remain neutral. I did neutral the first time and picked the Squirrels the second time. I don't know if I can stomach the Order, but I suppose I should take their side at least once!

Ghoul blood requires killing a bunch of ghouls. You will find them down in the sewers amongst other dark and creepy places.

The lost boy will be in a cave somewhere after you talk to Vaska, as maggie says.

Vincent will turn out to be a very interesting character!

Having fun yet???

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/26/08 06:24 AM

I would tell Vaska that the Dryads don't have the boy, if you haven't already. I think that quest continues into the next chapter. Talk to her completely to get a lightning card that you need to show Kalkstein. This should set other things in motion, including eventually talking to Shani. Just for laughs, has the old woman at Shani's house thrown you out yet???
Don't worry, the story will kick in as you progress. Each time you play you can choose different ways to play - none of them will leave you at a dead end.

I could never bring myself to join the Order. Joining with the squirrels made it more fun, I think.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/26/08 08:22 AM

Nickie-

I am glad to hear you say that about the squirrels, I am going on their side next game, I had a feeling you did. Why was it more fun???

Maggie wave broccoli

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/26/08 10:30 AM

Hagatha - do you make sure you have the appropriate quest clicked as active in the log? That was a mistake I once made. You will not get the correct dialogue if it isn't the 'active' quest.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/26/08 02:48 PM

Hagatha, I can't tell you how many times I thought I was completely stuck in the game the first time I played. But something always happened to get it moving again. Like Nickie says, you won't ever get to a dead end.

Of the two I've played - neutral and Squirrels - I definitely preferred going with the Squirrels. Yaaevin does get down from his high horse a bit later and they help you out a lot.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/26/08 03:20 PM

Threads, you should still get all dialogues in the game, even if the quest isn't the one highlighted. If you don't have the quest highlighted, the directions on the little map won't be what you need though.

Maggie, you'll just have to play as a friend to the Squirrels and see. devil

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/26/08 08:45 PM

Nickie and Drac- yay devilchili

Thanks for all the help, devil devil I will have to play again and only help the squirrels. You are right about clicking on the right quest. I was stuck so many times the first game I almost gave up, but it is so much fun and now I really enjoy the game. The Best Game I have played in years.

Thanks

maggie wave broccoli

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/27/08 12:42 AM

I have told Vaska that the Druids don't have the boy and got the resultant reward, and I have spoken to Kalkstein and had the appropriate dialogue. Shani's dialogue does not change, no matter where or when I speak to her. I think I must have enough ghould blood for Kalkstein, so I wonder why no dialogue opens up for that quest?

Anyway, I'll just keep at it and see what comes of it. If nothing else, I can always go back to the Swamp and kill monsters for experience.

Edit: No, it's ghoul marrow, not blood, that I need. I just killed a bunch of them down in the cellar on the wine quest, but got no marrow, only blood. Oh well.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/27/08 01:18 AM

hagatha yay

The marrow is in the swamp I believe, check each ghoul you kill. Has Vaska told you that the Salamandra has taken their men to work for them? If so check the cave for the boy, also kill Salamandra. Check where woodcutters use to be and another group there and a man at the Druid camp will help if Vaska gives the right answer. Did Shani have the party yet, did she ask you to get wine?? Have you bought and read all the books that everyone has to sell, you can resell them or dump them, but you need information in your file about the books to sometimes start a quest.

Good Luck

maggie thumbsup wave broccoli

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/27/08 02:09 AM

It sound like you need a book that gives you the Ghoul Marrow option when you kill them. Do you have Ghouls in your Bestiary yet?

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/27/08 02:36 AM

Did you go to the book seller in Vizima and buy all the books, when your pointer is on one, the information will tell you if you have read it. If you have not read it, you need to buy any and all you need, then one by one right click on each to read, which it will then put the information in your Bestiary. You can then sell them back to the guy. Same way with any other book, Kalkstein has some and I think the Druids do too. You will also find books in some houses, I just steal them as we are allowed and read and drop them or sell them.

maggie wave :spring:

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/27/08 03:29 AM

Yep, I have ghouls in my journal. Sort of like having ants in yer pants, I guess.

OK. So I got the autopsy done, but I refuse to believe it's K. Way too obvious. I think it's that creepy detective.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/27/08 03:40 AM

Another question:

Do I absolutely have to get into the graveyard? Vincent is mad at me and I can't find Thaler. I didn't need to get into the graveyard because the Gravedigger brought the body out to the hospital, but it srikes me that I've gone wrong somewhere. Kalkstein is the only suspect I have left, but I doubt it's him, and anyway, that creepy detective has vanished.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/27/08 04:19 AM

hagatha-

You can wait to get into the graveyard till part 3, that is what I did, could never do it in part 2. Let Vincent stay mad at you, it will not change yet, Thaler, has a place to stay in his house, it is behind the bookcase sort of in a corner, he sits there on a chair, try him in the late evening and you will find him in bed. Your instincts are right about that detective, but I shall leave it at that. If you feel it is wrong, redo the autospy and you will find the person responsible in another sentence.
Have you done any gambling at the Inn? Also gamble with Carmen and gamble with all you can if you have the time, not the most important, but probably on your list. Have you picked up the dice. Play with any Dwarf that will play with you.

Good Luck

maggie wave broccoli

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/27/08 04:49 AM

Some of this doesn't make sense -- and that's partly because, I think, some of the journal entries don't seem to be updating when they should. For instance, the gardener's Echinops contract would not update, and would not update, and then all of a sudden it showed that I'd completed it. Same with the Half-elf quest. The autopsy pointed to Kalkstein, and Raymond said basically that was it. Then all of a sudden I had a notation in the journal telling me I should tell Ramsmeat I knew he was innocent. But now when I go to Raymond, he's talking about confronting Ramsmeat. None of it really makes much sense.

I'll see if it's possible to do the autopsy again. But I asked all of the questions offered the first time.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/27/08 05:08 AM

Ah, never mind. Can't do the autopsy again -- and I'm not reloading. I've played too long since then. The only options I've got are to confront Ramsmeat - and I've established his innocence, apparently, although god knows how, none of this actually makes a lot of sense to me -- or confront Kalkstein, and that also makes no sense since now I've had the dialogue options that suggest Raymond is guilty. Vincent tells me if I have any real evidence he'll help me, but that's it, Thaler hasnothing to say unless I prove him innocent, which I apparently can't do. This is too much like my job. Whatever. I'll go confront Ramsmeat and Kalkstei, then nobody will tak to me and the game will be over.

Edit -- nope, can't cnfront Ramsmeat -- he's in the cemetary and i can't get in there.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/27/08 05:21 AM

Hey Hagatha,

I've read where this one can have some twists in it. I wish I could help further, but I've only played through the game once and this particular segment was pretty linear for me. Maybe this might help as it lists some of the permutations in the conversations.

Vizima Confidential

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/27/08 05:26 AM

There are no permutations in any of the conversations any more. Vicent gives me the same dialogue every time. Thaler will not let me into the cemetary unless I prove his innocence and none of the important characters have anything to say about him. Vincent wont talk to me. The only dialogue option I have with Kalkstain is to accuse him. Not a good idea, because then he won't talk to me any more either.

Raymond wants me to go after Ramsmeat, but I can't because neither Thaler or Vincent will talk to me, so I can't get into the cemetary. Visima has been proved innocent, and he has no dialogue options left. Shani wants to have a party and I have to get her some wine. But nobody has any dialogue left relating to the quest except Raymond. I'm pretty sure it's game over.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/27/08 06:08 AM

It isn't game over. Ramsmeat is at his house (or occasionally at the Inn) and you don't need to go to the cemetary. I'm pretty sure once you talk to Ramsmeat, the game will go forward from that point.Why do you think he is in the cemetary?
To get different dialogues for the autopsy, you have to first read two or three books on the subject, and talk to everyone you can about autopsies prior to doing the autopsy. I know you have to talk to Vincent and the grave digger about it (and to not have accused Vincent in re Salamandra to get into the graveyard). When I played it that way, I never got the option for the party. I've played the game both ways -it just has a lot of different ways to complete it.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/27/08 06:54 AM

You can pretty well forget Thaler for now. Ramsmeat needs to be taken care of. What I did, was I went back to the save just before the autopsy and had Shani do it, it turned out to be Ramsmeat, that is why Raymond wants him taken care of, sneaky fellow that he is. Vincent you can also ignore till part 3, he will find you. Go after Ramsmeat after the autopsy and then if you have not been to the Mage's Hut in the swamp you should go and open it up if you have lit all the Monoliths. Did you free all the brickmakers? Did you see the head Druid about the storm for the Golem?? Before you go into the Mage's Hut drink a couple of good potions, you will need them.

Good Luck and really, I love the game and it is so much fun. The first time I think was a pain as there is so much to do and I cannot remember how many dozens of times I went to the swamp. Now I can do the game without the walkthrough at all and it is just a really good game.

maggie wave luck :spring:

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/27/08 11:29 AM

As Nickie says, it isn't game over at all. You need to talk to each suspect and tell them they are either guilty or innocent before you can advance. If he's not in the back room at the Inn, Ramsmeat should be in his house in the slums which is flanked by two guards. I just bribed them to get in. You can kill him or leave him. I sort of liked Ramsmeat, so I let him live. Thaler is missing right now for a reason. I accused everyone and absolutely NO ONE would talk to me the first time I played the game!!

There is much more fun to be had in the cemetary, but it can wait until chapter 3 if you want.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/27/08 11:36 AM

I got into the cemetary by offering the gravedigger a bottle of strong dwarvern liquer. It has to be the real strong one. Can buy from the waitress at the Hairy Bell.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/27/08 02:33 PM

Unfortunately that won't be enough if you've accused Vincent and Thaler of the Salamandra connection.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/27/08 08:01 PM

I also bribed the Gravedigger with the same stuff, but he got drunk, could not of cared less and since I had accused Thaler and Vincent, I waited till part 3 to go into the cemetary.
I think at the beginning if you treat them all really nice, you have a chance of getting into the cemetary, but I had accused also. And if you accuse Vivaldi, you lose the Dwarf blacksmith and the only one left is the one who does work for the Order, that is why I had no choice but to help Siegfried with the group in the swamp since I needed the lightening rod.

maggie wave broccoli tomato

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/29/08 06:02 AM

The problem I had was that when I got the dialogue with Raymond saying that I would go after Ramsmeat, the arrow led me to the cemetary and Ramsmeat's house was empty.

However, I uninstalled and reinstalled the game and the patch and for good measure moved most of my game saves to another folder for more space, and things seemed to settle out properly. Not sure if that was because the game was not working properly but anyway I certainly get better performance if I'm playing with only a few game saves at any one time. And all of a sudden my journal seemed correct for the quests I knew I'd done.

Next time I play I'll be sure to take the path of least resistance and not annoy anyone! But all seemes to be working now.

See, I knew that detective was a little -- off.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/29/08 01:51 PM

yay Hagatha bravo

Glad you figured it out wave

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/30/08 12:50 AM

hagatha- thumbsup

One thing I figured out is that the saves take up lots of space, so I generally delete all but two days, it makes the game run better and I have over 3 MB of Ram.

Yes, the detective was a stinker, that did surprise me the first time.

I have also been able to take the game off and it saves my saves, but I do not know if it is my Vista Ultimate or what.

Good Luck

maggie wave :spring: broccoli

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/30/08 03:25 AM

Yes, a little "off" he was, hagatha! I need to get rid of a ton of saves too...

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/30/08 01:35 PM

Hi everyone - Microsoft kept dropping my Witcher game back to the desk top. I know a new computer is in the pipeline but not until my broken rib is healed, which will not be for some weeks yet so have had an engineer out this morning. He was here to look at the room around my desk (it is in the bedroom) to figure out where to place towers, printers etc in a way convenient to use with my back and Mr. P.

He had intended to sort out the problem with the Witcher but I had had enough. So the dear man uninstalled that game and installed and patched Nverwintersnight 2 and the expansion pack.

I intend the buy the New version of the Witcher when it is out but will not be installed on this computer, and also after you have all been playing it for a while.

So - expect me to be calling for help on a different Thread. hahaha.

So good to have enjoyed all your company for so long. Boomers are the best.

thumbsup

God Bless,

Alice

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/30/08 02:25 PM

As we enjoy yours, dear Alice! Sorry it didn't work out on this computer, but something to look forward to. When the new content comes out, you'll have a lot of company!

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/30/08 03:21 PM

Hope someone is playing NWN2 plus expansion. Am already off to start a Thread. The manual is like ll manuals - never says how to do the important things.

rolleyes

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/30/08 07:57 PM

Hi Alice- grin

I hope your broken rib mends soon, had that it can be really painfull. I know you will be glad to get a new computer and do The Witcher again. Take care and talk to you later.

Maggie wave broccoli

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/31/08 08:28 AM

Hah. I'm now in Chapter III and have destroyed the drug trade in Vizima. But not in a very subtle way. The loooooong loading times make me reluctant to reload a game, so when i met up with Angus (?) right at the start I gave him the wrong name and off he went. I chose not to spend twenty minutes reloading over and over to find the right name. Instead of using my brains to infiltrate the drug ring I just blasted through it. No subtlety.

I think my framerate improves if I'm not carrying much in my inventory. Unfortunately, as soon as I hit the Swamp, up it fills.

I chose the Squirrel side. But I regret disppointing Siegfried. He was a decent sort. And I suspect that as the game goes on Geralt's human friends may fall off.

I am unable to make the mutagenic potions, since I can't find a pure sourceof Aether. I thought I would be able to make lots of the potions that give you gold and silver tokens for attrinutes, but apparently that is not the case. But I would like to make the potion using the GOlem Heart.

Anyway, this is a great game. My partner was watching over my shoulder and couldn't believe some of the combat moves. He would love to try some of my games, I know. He always gets wistful when I give away the old ones, knowing he'll never get to play them. But I'm keeping all my favourites, and this will definitely be one of them.

Can anyone tell me how to upgrade my weapons? I have ores and runes, but I don't know what to do with them. And can they be upgraded more than once?

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/31/08 12:49 PM

You have to upgrade your weapons through a blacksmith. If you've helped the Squirrels, the Order armorer ( down the road from the graveyard) won't help you, so you need to use dwarf blacksmith - down the road to the left of Kalkstein and Vivaldi's houses. In the house there are two individuals, one who will trade stuff, and the blacksmith who does the forge work. Later in the game you'll get some better swords by doing quests too.

There's only one Golem in the game, so pretty sure there's just one Golem heart to be found.
Glad you're having fun!

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/31/08 01:58 PM

I found the weapons upgrading to be somewhat confusing at first. What happens is if you have the correct number of runes etc., you go to the blacksmith and then he offers to SELL you your weapon back after it's upgraded. So, it's not a freebie.

Yup, just one Golem heart. Then you have to find the rest of the indgredients.

I just got an e-mail yesterday saying they were delaying the release of the new game upgrades in order to get it absolutly right. They claim it will reduce loading times by 80% among other things. I know the 1.2 patch reduced my original loading times by 80%, so even more would be a great help.
Posted By: fildil

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/31/08 03:59 PM

Can I just jump in here and ask a dumb question? I've gotten the email about the new and improved Witcher. I've already downloaded and played the additional quest (the one without voices). Is what we're waiting for just the original Witcher game with great improvements, or is there a sequel to the game (I hope, I hope)? I also read that they're rerecording voices, please don't let one of them be Geralt's. shame

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/31/08 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: fildil
Is what we're waiting for just the original Witcher game with great improvements, or is there a sequel to the game (I hope, I hope)? I also read that they're rerecording voices, please don't let one of them be Geralt's. shame

It's the same game with improvements and some additional content, but not a sequel.

As for re-recording, I think they just mean re-doing some of the voice overs, not necessarily changing who did them.

Posted By: fildil

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/31/08 04:30 PM

Thanks Trail_Mystic, I guess deep in my heart I knew that there wasn't going to be a sequel this soon but hope springs eternal. I've been dying to play the game again, but I've been waiting for the improvements. Maybe, I'll just do a couple of chapters. lol

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 05/31/08 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: nickie
You have to upgrade your weapons through a blacksmith. If you've helped the Squirrels, the Order armorer ( down the road from the graveyard) won't help you, so you need to use dwarf blacksmith - down the road to the left of Kalkstein and Vivaldi's houses. In the house there are two individuals, one who will trade stuff, and the blacksmith who does the forge work. Later in the game you'll get some better swords by doing quests too.

SOmething wrong here, then. The dwarf Blacksmith in the Temple District WAS talking to me in Chapter Two, but since I helped the elves in the Bank heist he refuses to.

The Blacksmith in the merchant Quarter will forge me a sword, but I can't tell if the sword he offers to sell me is better than my witcher sword. In other words, the swords he forges are not describes as being used with Witcher combat styles. I found a very good sword in the swamp on the dead Courier near the Wyvern Female, and I have that as well as my two Witcher swords. I'm just wondering if I should use THAT sword instead of forging another steel sword. It would be useful not to have three swords, since I like to sell the better weapons that I find.

What I really would like to do is use the runes on my witcher silver sword, if that is possible, I have two runes, one red and one blue. But the blacksmith doesn't want to upgrade that sword.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/01/08 01:00 AM

The silver sword can be upgraded with runes and the steel with ores, but you need three for the upgrade (you can mix and match).

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/01/08 06:11 AM

Hm. I'm doing well with what I've got, especially with the various poisons you can make for the swords.

Heh. I just knew who I would find when I "solved" the werewolf quest.

So, is De Wett the worst poker dice player around? It may be my eyesight, but I could swear that at least three times he's re-rolled when he's already got me beat, and then loses. What a doofus.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/01/08 06:33 AM

hagatha- grin

You have a great way of perfectly discribing De Wett!!!! rotfl rotfl

maggie wave

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/01/08 01:06 PM

I don't know about the worst. There's a whole bunch of really bad poker players that lose easily to Geralt. A very easy way to make money, for sure.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/01/08 01:51 PM

I loved the poker game and would play it sometimes just for fun. It was frustrating that the other players would throw away an ace high straight! I wanted to play it for real. But I guess after Geralt gets to be a master player, he's supposed to win. I won boatloads of money that way.

I loved the werewolf quest! How did you decide to deal with him?
Click to reveal..
I just never had the heart to kill him!

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/01/08 08:22 PM

Vincent was watching my back. I let him go.

Edit: And now I'm glad I did. Aw, true love. Ain't it grand?

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/04/08 02:54 PM

Hi smile

There was a Witcher Newsletter waiting for me when I got back home from visiting with family - but it didn't mention the big new "enhancements ....

I haven't missed anything have I ?? eek

Cheers.

Mad grin

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/20/08 09:59 AM

I don't know if this has been mentioned on this site yet but they have finally announced the release date of the enhanced version and it's still a ways off. Oh well Sacred 2 and the enhanced version of the Witcher are what this soul is really waiting for.

Here is the site for the announcement.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/20/08 11:34 AM

Yup, I saw that too, oldman. Sigh.....

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/20/08 03:15 PM

thanks Oldman, I was wondering. I saw a version in Walmart the other day and though about buying it but it didn't say Enhanced so I passed wave

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/20/08 07:56 PM

I would say Looney that it is the version we all have. I'm sure when they release the enhanced version in September there will be no doubt on the packaging as to what it is. It will probably have the words enhanced version boldly printed somewhere on the box.

Those of us who have the regular version can upgrade to the enhanced version with a download. Probably be a rather large download I'd guess with all they are supposedly adding.

I haven't made up my mind whether I'm going to buy the whole package when it comes out or download. Knowing me I'll probably order it in the mail and down load it while I'm waiting for the whole packaged to arrive. I'm pretty stoked about this enhancement. puppy

As an aside, I just got a new HP computer with Intel Core Duo and GeForce 8800 that came with windows vista 32 bit so I loaded The Witcher to see how it would do on my vista. I let the software do the upgrade and ended up with the 1.3 patch and so far I've had no problems and the loading times seem quite faster than the original that I played on an XP with the 1.2 patch.

Now that I'm rambling, I played a few minutes of the additional adventure on the 1.3 patch and just couldn't get in to the voiceless adventure. The main game is so good with voices that the added adventure without any voices kind of ruin it for me. Just one man's opinion. sad

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/21/08 02:39 AM

The one without the voices really put me off too, but I did go ahead and play it... It did give me another clue as to the identity of the assassin at the end of the main game!

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/21/08 06:24 AM

You know, I've been thinking about that assassin. There was that other little boy in the swamp...

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/22/08 06:09 AM

Well, second time through I'm picking up on a few things I missd first time. I've worked out how Alchemy works so that my potions don't poison me, and I've also worked out how to gain more experience for levelling. I thought those elven ruins were kind of a waste of space the first time through. But those endlessly respawning Alps are a godsend to the greedy experience-hunter. And that Crypt in the Fields respawns a lot. This time I'm at level 35 and have only just started the main quests in Chapter IV. I might get through this on Hard/Neutral after all.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/22/08 10:05 PM

You know, I've been thinking about that assassin. There was that other little boy in the swamp...

Click to reveal..
I've always though the Assassin was Vesimir, the Witcher who was in charge at the beginning. No on agrees with me but that was my thought when I say Geralts reaction when he became aware of the assassin. Also the Assassin had a scar on his chin and so did Vesimir. But since no one knows anyone's guess is just that...a guess

Since I started the game again with my Vista computer I'm playing through and have hit Act III and have yet to decide where to take Alvin. In fact, I haven't gotten to that quest yet. Just doing all the side quests, monster killing, etc.
After this it's a 3 month wait for the enhanced version frown

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/23/08 12:49 AM

I thought the assassin at the end looked too young to be Vesemir. But the two other witchers are still around, too.

The thing I like about this game is that the choices you have to make are at times very difficult. For instance, in this game I've decided to go neutral in Chapter IV. The elves hav done some pretty terrible things. Yet it's clear that Geralt knows some of the elves from a long way back; in his bio in the game he protected elves during a pogrom years ago. Some of them welcome him as an old friend in Chapter IV. So turning "my" back on them, with the obvious ramifications of that action, will be difficult.

It's also interesting to see how Geralt, once he realizes that he isn't cut out to be a father, just lets poor little Alivn run around loose. The kid idolizes him, and has to watch Geralt blaze his way through the killing fields in a haze of blood. The kid is obviously scared a lot of the time, and nobody is looking after him.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/29/08 10:42 AM

Hi - has anyone heard of a site to pre-order The New Witcher?

Would like to obtain it although will not play it for a while

wave
Alice

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/29/08 01:46 PM

Explain to me - make an entry into the bestiary - so I can get the benefit of killing monsters. Don't everybody shoot me down but this game is kinda slow. Playing too many shooters I guess BTW there are fantastic new games for PS3 now if you like action war shooters.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/29/08 03:38 PM

The Bestiary is updated in two ways:

1. Talking to someone -- they may give you a quest, or ask you for food or booze -- and do as they ask. They may tell you about a new kind of plant or beast. In Chapter One the village Grannies are good for this.

Get into drinking contests with anyone you can (use beer). Often they will giv you something -- a book or a scroll or a piece of advice, or even information of interest.

2. Buying, finding, or stealing books and scrolls and reading them (by right-clicking on them in inventory). Scrolls will give you new potion recipes.

Talk to everybody -- everybody -- even un-named villagers. Open every chest and barrel.

When you get a new entry in your Bestiary, it means that the Monsters part of your journal has been updated with new information about beasts, and therefore you can harvest from those beasts.

If you play Witcher just as a Slash and Hack RPG you'll miss out on the deepness of the story and the intricacy of the gameplay. Parts of the game are slow, but for a little more action try playing at night. There will be lots of combat, and the more combat, the more you level up. Go into caves and crypts more than once -- they respawn. Do every quest you get -- some of them are quite difficult. Learn alchemy skills and discover your favourite potions. Decide who you trust and who you don't trust, because those decisions will affect the way the game unfolds later on.

The end of Chapter One has challenges aplenty and Once you get into Chapter two you'll have lots to do.

Enjoy.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/29/08 03:51 PM

I understand your perspective YC. If you're used to playing shooters there will be parts in the beginning of the game that seem very slow. It doesn't have the overt direction that many action games do, but that's not too unusual for an RPG. As Hagatha mentioned the story winds in with the game play, and as you are finding not everything is available right off the bat. You won't finds any clips of .45 ACP laying around for Geralt to load into his sword lol

Many of your actions will change the way the game plays out, so it's good that it slows down a bit here and there so you can digest what's going on....

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/29/08 06:10 PM

OK, thanks you 2 - must take in the whole picture. Will stay with it and of course The Big G is appealing. I guess Oblivion spoiled me. Do you get all this bestiary knowledge from the books?

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/29/08 06:53 PM

YC

There are also scrolls besides the books that you can buy or steal that are just as important, a lot of times a scroll will have the information and you will not find a book for it. Just right click any scroll or book once in inventory, it will read it and put the information where it belongs, then you can get rid of the scroll or book. You will also find formulas and you put them on the same way.

Good Luck

maggie wave broccoli

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/29/08 09:09 PM

And once you've read a book or scroll you can sell it; in the first chapters there's always at least one person who will buy books and scrolls.

Don't worry about how much books and scrolls cost. There's ample opportunity to make money starting in Chapter II, and money is never really a problem in Witcher once you start playing poker dice. The potion recipes are vitally important, and the books will give you information not only about monsters, but also about Geralt's world and his quest. I made sure I'd read every available book and scroll just before moving onto the next chapter.
Posted By: Marian

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/29/08 09:14 PM

Alice, the expanded edition is scheduled to release in September. I haven't seen any preorder listings for it yet, but when I do, I will be sure to spread the word. wave

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/30/08 02:35 AM

OK - will slow down a bit and start reading everything. Currently having a grand time in the sewers and enjoing(?) my olfactory hallucinations. Those are the worse looking sewers I've seen in a game. Must explare alchemy.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/30/08 03:45 AM

Definitely explore alchemy. It can get you through the hardest battle with ease.

If you've been collecting potion recipes and skinnable items from your monster victims you should be able to make some very helpful potions by now. My two favourites were Swallow and Tawny Owl made with all Albedo ingredients.

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/30/08 04:55 AM

I wonder how "slow" it will be for you, Yankee Clipper, when you get to the swamps and attempt to navigate them at night! evil My favorite two potions too, hagatha... well, those and Cat!

Re: The Witcher Thread 6 (spoilers) - 06/30/08 05:27 AM

OK, everybody out of the bus and go here! (new thread smile )
© 2024 GameBoomers Community