GB HOMEPAGE

Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom *Spoilers*

Posted By: Trail_Mystic

Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom *Spoilers* - 11/02/08 12:36 AM

OK, I figured I was on the verge of giving out too much information on the review topic and others will start playing soon. So, to try and keep game play discussion under the firm control of the spoiler gods I present to you the Fallout 3 Thread of DOOM! *Echo*

Non spoiler hints I've so far come across to help in game play:

~Melee is ok against light arms and saves ammo
~Save the junk you come across, they can sometimes be assembled into devastating weapons evil

Go to it troops, we're in this together... lol

Patch Link: FALLOUT 3 PATCH US ENGLISH v 1.0.0.15
Posted By: orient

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/02/08 02:43 AM

I was mildly skeptical of the Fallout 3 world before I bought the game yesterday -- mainly due to the dated animation, the same seen in Oblivion -- but I've found my doubts to be generally ill founded. The developers have done a brilliant job of creating a believable world and setting. Sure, the enemies still look sort of silly whilst attacking you and there are odd, conflicting moments in terms of character interaction. For example, I accidentally got someone killed and only moments after it happened, I was forced to talk to their child, who seemed far too accepting of what just happened, completely ignoring the corpse on the floor and instantly pushing the tragedy aside.

Apart from those initial gripes, I'm finding it to be a ridiculously engaging and addictive game. I've done things that have led to some "unwanted" events, but I've forced myself to carry on anyway. Very interesting indeed.
Posted By: nickie

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/02/08 06:33 AM

Welcome to Gameboomers orient! So when you say you've "done things that have led to unwanted events" are you saying that there are different story paths in the game?

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/02/08 12:26 PM

Cheers nickie smile

Yeah, here's how it's structured: there's a main quest and a multitude of side quests, much like in any other RPG. However, in Fallout 3, you can choose whether to be good, bad or neutral through your actions (killing, not killing, helping, not helping etc.) and this is usually facilitated through dialog. Dialog trees usually give you the option of being very helpful, being very nasty or being helpful, yet wanting money for your services. There are also options that require you to persuade the person you're talking to and how successful you are is determined by your speech attribute (which can be raised like every other attribute when you gain a level).

People react to you differently and different things will happen to you depending on your karma level (a measurement of your goodness/evilness). Some decisions you make are permanent and will affect the world in a significant way. The best example is your choice to blow up a town at the start of the game, or disarm the bomb and save the town. The moral choices are surprisingly interesting to make.

Be aware that the "good vs evil" aspect isn't as night and day as it may sound. It's all in the background really and your character's development feels more genuine because of this. There isn't a bar on the screen telling you how bad/good you are, although gaining/losing karma does feel like a suitable reward/punishment, depending on how you see it.

Sorry for blabbing on a lot razz To answer in short -- nearly every character can die in this game, so depending on your actions, your story will pan out differently than other people's and you will gain different side missions. However, I can only assume that the main mission stays relatively the same for everyone, with maybe the ending being different depending on your karma level, but I'm not totally sure.
Posted By: Yankee Clipper

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/02/08 12:40 PM

Yesterday, there was Fallout 3 in the mailbox! It sounds more like an undertaking than a game. Can it become a "comfort" game like Oblivion? Why did they use Oblivion graphics rather than newer - like in Heaavenly Sword? This setting is intreging - life after the nuclear. A good game for Oldfeeble.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/02/08 03:23 PM

Thanks for the explanation orient - I think it's more interesting when games give you moral choices. Seeing it more and more in RPGs.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/02/08 07:00 PM

Bethesda seems to have gone back to the roots of the RPG and has done a nice job in melding their own particular style with that of the Fallout theme and traditional character traits, attributes and alighnment. Like Fallout 2 "Karma" comes into play indicating the character's good vs. evil alignment, but the over all advantage is towards the good.

Like Orient mentioned most characters in the game can be killed, this can result in "Quest Breaking" similar to the earlier RPG's where your actions can have consequences that will resonate through out the game.

I did some experimental game play last night and found that the environment is a bit more interactive than in Oblivion. Which makes sense, I'm sure there have been advances in the Gamebryo graphics engine since Oblivion used it. Combine that with the now well known Havoc physics engine and a post apocalyptic backdrop and you have one cool, but dangerous playground...

Edit: As I play through this I'm glad that the Gamebryo engine was used. It has a slightly rough look to the graphics that seems more natural than might be accomplished with the more glitzy engines and it fits the Fallout theme very well in my opinion. Not saying this couldn't have been accomplished with the Unreal engine or something similar, but this one just has a more earthy feel to it.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/02/08 08:58 PM

Thanks TM - you answered my question. Started Fallout 3 and still hopelessly running around the vault trying to escape. But I did manage to punch out 2 guards and 1 bully! And I have a bad-boy reputation. Those posters take us back to an era don't they. I'm going to like this game alot when I'm more comfy with it - not too cognitive sometimes.
Posted By: Pokey

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/02/08 11:42 PM

I finished the supermart quest and got used to the VATS system. I don't think I would have survived without it. I like it. I found a few meds but they didn't seem to fulfill that part of the quest. Couldn't find any more. Did the radiation quest and am off to the landmines. It's a tough life.

YC, I thought escaping the vault was very confusing.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/03/08 12:21 AM

Pokey,
Click to reveal..
there's a raider in the supermart with a key to the pharmacy which is at the back of the place. You have to get the medicine from in there.

Personally I was finding the battles a bit too harsh on the default difficulty setting so I put the game on easy razz I'm not used to first person shooting, especially on a console. I'll probably crank the difficulty back up when I get used to it.

I'm in the town near the supermart now fending off fire breathing ants.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/03/08 02:21 AM

Thanks, orient.

Click to reveal..
I searched all the raider's bodies but didn't find a key. I did see the locked door. Maybe I'll check again.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/03/08 04:25 AM

Just a quick note. I've had two crashes so far, and historically my machine is pretty stable, except with the occasional crash while playing Oblivion. This tells me that Fallout 3 has inherited that tendency. So, save often, especially after critical points. It gets really easy to become immersed while running around the carnage and forget to save. lol Nice thing is that the game retained the F5 Quicksave key.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/03/08 08:49 AM

I found the key to the pharmacy (it wasn't on a body) and collected a lot more loot. Is there someplace to store some of the heavy stuff I might use later? Can I drop it on the floor in the Megaton supply store will it still be there when I return?
Posted By: Moondancer

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/03/08 01:13 PM

Where on earth is that key? I didn't find it on a body either! Should I search the shelves for it?

I've already been back to Megaton, but as I was overloaded anyway, I don't mind doing a return trip. I'll go check for you if stuff that I dropped is still there, Pokey.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/03/08 02:15 PM

Key location:

Click to reveal..
It's in a metal box on a shelf in a room just down the hall from the pharmacy storage.

For storage:

Click to reveal..
If you go to Megaton and disarm the bomb the Sheriff will give you the deed to the vacant shack.

I haven't done it yet because my skills are too low so I just sell off the more common stuff and figure I can go back to the pharmacy later to pick more up. Not sure if things stick around when dropped.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/03/08 05:41 PM

Thanks for the tip about storage. I'm probably not ready for that yet. How about the houses that can be lockpicked but you get bad karma for doing so? Is is worth it or will there be consequences? I took stuff from the containers in the common house, so those should be usable. I do want a house of my own, though.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/03/08 06:10 PM

Ok, thanks, Trail, got the key.

I actually restarted the game, this time as a man, with slightly different skills and stats. I got rid of all my goodies before I went to the Mart this time, so I'm sorry, Pokey, I still don't know if your stuff remains where you leave them.

Btw, have any of you tried to tell the Sherrif about the guy who wants to blow Megaton up? I did, just to see what happens and - oops!

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/03/08 07:43 PM

The stuff I left on the floor of the supply shop is still there today. I left some things in the container in the common house too. I'll try that with the sheriff. Where do I find him?

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/04/08 12:02 AM

Hey folks, I seldom get game guides, but I made an exception for Fallout 3 because a friend of mine told me that it was as nice as the big ones they originally produced for Morrowind and Oblivion. Well I just got my copy of the hardcover Collectors Version guide in the mail and is it nice thumbsup For about $20.00 it's a good deal considering that's only a few bucks more than the usual type. Here's the link to Amazon where I ordered mine so you can take a look:

Fallout 3 Collector's Edition: Prima Official Game Guide

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/04/08 12:18 AM

Sorry guys. I could've sworn I found the key on a body...

I have the house now, which is cool. Moondancer, I told the Sheriff about the man razz I kept going, though.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/04/08 08:21 AM

I had my first crash, strangely enough, in the minefield. It is a long trek out there and the navigation was feeling a bit sluggish. It seems to get that way after playing a long while.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/04/08 01:36 PM

That's what happened to me when I tried to use the VATS system. My PC is fairly fast so I was surprised when it dropped to a crawl as soon as I activated VATS. Haven't used it since so I just do a lot of bashing evil

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/04/08 06:06 PM

Got to Megaton and met sheriff - meandering around town. Am playing game on PS3 and it's playing smooth - no stops, crashes etc. I used VATS and all fine. Oblivion blacked out upon occasion when on PC but on PS3 never a problem. Just might get to Fry's and get a guide.
Posted By: maggie57

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/04/08 08:20 PM

Hi-

Okey, this game interests me, but is it a point and click? I also checked out the Strategy Guide and it looks great.

Thanks

maggie think wave broccoli

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/04/08 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: maggie57
Hi-

Okey, this game interests me, but is it a point and click? ....

Sorry Maggie, cotrols are keyboard and mouse, almost a duplicate to Oblivion's commands.
Posted By: Rowan

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/05/08 01:40 AM

What is VATS?

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/05/08 03:15 AM

Vault-Tech Assisted Targeting System

When under fire you can hit the "V" key and it allows you to pause the game for a second and select a specific target on your enemy (i.e. Head, Torso, Leg) and how many shots you want to take. It's not fool-proof though, that would make it too easy. It's good to use against extra tough opponents. Each area has a specific chance for a successful hit. In Fallout, shots to certain parts of the body cause more damage than others, so in a fire fight against a very nasty enemy it can be crucial to make every one of your few bullets count. There is a cool-off period, so you can't use it for every shot.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/05/08 03:30 AM

Thanks, Trail. That's the first I have heard of it (or maybe I didn't pay attention to it before). smile
Posted By: maggie57

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/05/08 05:42 AM

TM- thumbsup

Thanks so much, well I will save some money and I just bought Kings Bounty Legend, so that will make me happy. Thanks again.

maggie wave zombie broccoli

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/05/08 06:24 AM

@Orient
Quote:
Moondancer, I told the Sheriff about the man I kept going, though.

EDIT: Oh, ok, thanks, Orient. I decided to remove my original comment, so people can find out the consequences for themselves. Heh heh.

TrailMystic, regarding VATS, - I feel pretty sure that it's not a case of your PC that can't handle it, because your VATS shots are supposed to happen in slow motion. Some of it is pretty gory- I suppose that's specially for lovers of gore. razz

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/05/08 06:53 AM

Moondancer, that isn't exactly true:
Click to reveal..
If the Sheriff dies, his child gives you the key to the house on behalf of his Dad.

Critical hits and finishing blows in VATS are particularly slow-motion-esque by design.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/05/08 07:09 AM

I was aware of the slow-mo effect they use, kind of cool actually. I lose frames at the point of shot selection, in other words while I'm still in the VATS interface. It's most likely because of the layering they used to outline the target body parts. It just surprises me, the machine I'm using has two overclocked 8800GTS vid cards. They should be laughing at this graphics engine. It's not a stability issue either, everything else runs at max settings without an issue. I'll track it down.. smile

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/05/08 04:36 PM

I just bought this game. Are there any patches I need to download before I start playing?

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/05/08 06:16 PM

Rowan, there are no patches. Go ahead and start.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/06/08 09:16 AM

I'm really getting tired of running around underground and looking for the Fire Ant Queen's nest. I wonder if anyone would be so kind to tell me if I should be
Click to reveal..
exiting the underground rail system to find it, or am I somehow missing a door or exit that will allow me to find her?

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/06/08 02:31 PM

I haven't done that quest Moondancer, but is there a chance that the maps or HUD arrow on the Pip-Boy would help?

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/06/08 02:48 PM

Ah - I finally found it. It was a way through that I hadn't thought to investigate. You see, I could see the quest marker, but couldn't figure out how to get there. Got it now, though.
Thanks anyway!
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/06/08 02:58 PM

yay Moondancer happydance

Have fun puppy

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/07/08 04:38 AM

Fallout 3 Patch now Available.

You can either download it though your LIVE account if you have one (see the LIVE selection in the main menu). Or go to the following link and download it the old fashioned way razz

FALLOUT 3 PATCH US ENGLISH v 1.0.0.15

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/07/08 10:44 AM

Listen guys - when I want to put my weapon away by pressing "R", it doesn't want to "take" most of the time. I end up hitting the R button a million times in frustration. smashpc

Is there perhaps some trick to get my avatar to put his weapon away?
Posted By: boshettee

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/07/08 12:15 PM

For me, holding the R key down for @ 2 secs. works

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/07/08 01:57 PM

I've been wandering around Megaton looking for a bed. None of the beds let me sleep because they don't belong to me. The only offer for a bed is from a prostitute in the saloon. All I want to do is sleep to heal up. tired Where can I do this?

Also, has someone found a purified water source for that beggar outside the main gates?

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/07/08 03:18 PM

Rowan, I haven't played this but I googled and found the following:

One person said the bar--but you already know that

Another said the Common House, but someone else disputed that

Another one said if you just need to heal, go to the clinic and they will heal you for free.

And another said to deactivate the bomb and the town will give you your own bed.

I hope one of those works for you luck

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/07/08 04:27 PM

Ah - thanks boshettee - I tried it and it works. thumbsup Thanks! Guess I'm generally too hasty, eh? blush

For sleeping, the Common House didn't work for me, either, and you have to pay at the bar.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/07/08 04:28 PM

Did you try the clinic?

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/07/08 04:31 PM

I haven't tried the Clinic, but I found that Nuka-Cola is tops for healing if you don't have a stimpack. Of course any food helps, but your radiation is higher with normal food.

If you've already done the Super-duper Mart quest, you can always transport there, and sleep in the beds they have in their toilets.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/07/08 04:49 PM

Before I got my house, I used to sleep in the Gibson house at the minefield. The Teleport puts you right outside the house. I ran into respawned raiders when I used the supermart. The Springdale school is another place once you clear it out.

I haven't found any purified water in all my travels. It must be pretty rare.

Also, if you talk to Lucy West, she will give a quest and a map marker for Arefu, not a difficult travel. There is a house at the back of the village that has a bed you can use. On the road to Arefu, there is a Jury St metro station that has beds and a lot of good loot. A few raiders too. There is a bed in a trailer shortly before that.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/07/08 04:53 PM

thanks Pokey

Nothing like someone who has already played the game wave

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/07/08 11:49 PM

The best thing is to do the bomb quest to get the key to the empty house in Megaton. Your explosive skill needs to be above level 25, but I would save just before doing it anyway, just in case you manage to give the town a case of terminal sun tan lol

Also, you'll find a source for purified water in that house.

Healing is a difficult and sometimes expensive endeavor in Fallout 3 so don't forget to throw a few points into Medicine as you level. That way healing medicines and such have a more pronounced effect.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/08/08 02:43 AM

Thanks for all the tips. So far the only place I was able to sleep was at the Wests' house. But that is too far through dangerous territory. I'm paying a fortune for stimpacks and healing from the doc. When I do find a bed it either isn't mine or there are enemies nearby. My bomb disarming abilities are too low for me to attempt that, so no personal real estate for me yet. I'm so poor and I'm a lousy shot. I wish I had my trusty bows from other games. I'm great at shooting arrows but not bullets. I'm finding this game difficult. I'm playing normal level. Maybe I should restart and try easy level.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/08/08 02:47 AM

Rowan, are you using fast travel? It is so easy to zip out, heal up and zip back.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/08/08 03:03 AM

How does the fast travel work? When I click on a map icon I get the message that fast travel is not available in this location.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/08/08 03:14 AM

A message should pop up when you have visited several locations. It won't work till you actually visit. I think I had three or four locations that I had visited when I first got the message--the Supermart, Vault 101, Springdale and the minefield.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/08/08 03:26 AM

Right, they patterned the fast travel more along the lines of Morrowind. Actually, the more I play this the more it reminds me of Morrowind over Oblivion even though it is using the same update to the original graphics engine as Oblivion.

I totally empathize with you Rowan, it can be a very difficult game at the lower levels. Leveling is a slow process and the bad guys definitely hit harder as you advance. I recall coming across some mercenaries in level 2 or 3 that I could take down by rushing with a baseball bat, by level 10 they're carrying missile launchers or taking me down with 2 or 3 shots from a combat shotgun scared

Also, if you get frustrated and want to play on easy for a bit you don't have to restart. You can just adjust the level until you have a better lay of the land. I cranked it up for a bit and man did the monsters ever multiply, I couldn't take three steps into the wasteland without being accosted by a flock of one-eye purple people eaters lol That made normal feel a lot more tolerable...

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/08/08 05:51 AM

Just a tip: don't spend money on healing items. There are always breaks in the action when you can sleep and heal for free (even if you have to fast travel somewhere). I think you can only fast-travel outdoors.

Also, when fighting enemies from a distance, shoot normally (and use the steady aim) because there's usually more chance of hitting them than when in VATS. At a distance, VATS can give you really poor hit percentages.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/08/08 03:31 PM

Thanks all again. I finally fast travelled - right into the arms of a super-mutant and I was turned into a burger I think I will try another location next.

Is anyone else having trouble patching their game? When I click on the link to run the patch the game starts instead. think

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/08/08 05:28 PM

Another good tip is that the hunting rifles are way better at a distance shooting than the assult rifles. Just slower to shoot because they are bolt action.

EDIT: Well, I decided to get a parallel game going that is along the dark side of the games path.
Click to reveal..
I find it interesting that the same individual who voiced Lucien Lachance of the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion should also be the one responsible for your moral downfall in Fallout 3.
devil

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/08/08 08:09 PM

Has anyone been able to patch the leak that you see when stand on the clinic roof? I've patched 2 other leaks but this one seems to be out of reach. I wish I could reach it as this would finish that quest. think

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/08/08 10:15 PM

Rowan, the space bar is your jump key. Just get to a point on one of the walk ways above the leak, jump over the guard rail to the roof next to or somewhere near the leak, walk over to it, and then fix the leak. Just watch yourself getting down, you can be injured or killed falling from heights.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom - New and Improved with Spoilers! - 11/09/08 02:07 PM

Just a quick note regarding the quicktravel: exactly like in Oblivion, you have to be outdoors. If you get the "can't travel from this location" message, it's because you're indoors. Just find an exit, and Bob's your uncle. wink

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/09/08 08:23 PM

For anyone that is interested - So far, the same console commands that worked for Oblivion also work in Fallout 3.

Example: if you want to name your saves as opposed to just going with the auto numbering sequence you just bring up the console by hitting the [~] key, then if you only use a one word name for the title just type save then a space and whatever word you wish to use:

save Mutants

If you want to use more than one word you'll need to put it in quotes like so:

save "This is My Save"

In either case you just hit enter after typing and that will make the save. You won't get any acknowledgement after you hit enter, but it will save. To close the console hit the tilde [~] key again. wave

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/10/08 07:18 PM

I'm getting the hang of this game a bit better now. The biggest difference occurred when I finally deactivated the bomb and I got my own house. A bed is such a luxury. Then, thanks to you guys, a learned how to teleport. praise

When I was looking for Ian in the underground train tunnels I noticed an incredible amount of loot. I never took any because I didn't want to fight with all those "people" down there. Now that I saved him can I go back there when I'm strong enough or do I need the goodwill of these "people" in future? My little thievy fingers are twitching but I don't want to ruin any future quests that I don't know about yet. Has anyone played far into the game yet?
Posted By: Nipomo

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/10/08 08:38 PM

I'm finding this game really fun. It seems harder than Oblivion and I like that. Though I like being a hero nobody can hurt, to be honest the struggling part of the game is what I enjoy most. Gotta say so far its hard to get caps...I'm using a lot of my loot to repair items, not sure if that's smart money wise but other wise I have to leave a lot of loot because of weight issues. I dispear ever tricking out my house.

Its probably too soon but does anyone know if you buy a theme for your house and then try another one...can you repurchase the first one if you like it better? Just wondered...Bet I'll play several different ways so I can see all the theme's eventually.

As Eartha Kitt sings "I wanta be evil, I wanta spit tacks"...that's for my next game!!!

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/10/08 08:52 PM

I don't have enough caps ever to buy anything for the house. I try repairing items myself when I can. This also lessens the load of equipment I carry plus it increases their value. I do ask Moira to repair my favorite weapons and armor since I usually can't get duplicates for these items. I still carry about an old lab coat from the vault which increases my repair skill. I put it on in a safe place and I regularly go through my inventory to fix things.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/11/08 12:41 AM

You can definitely buy multiple themes for your house but I'm not sure if you can swap back because I haven't done it myself.

The game gets easier as you progress I find. You have to fight more enemies, but the more you play, the more quality items you get (and in more quantity) so in general you become richer, faster. I repair my own items with duplicate items so it saves me going to somewhere and paying to get it done.

Also, about The Family, after I saved Ian I never went back there so I'm not sure if there are extra quests from them. Personally, I think the best element of Fallout 3 is that there are consequences to your actions, so I try not to worry about quests that I might miss because that's just a part of it.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/12/08 04:04 PM

Help, please!
Click to reveal..
How do I get out if "tranquility lane " without killing all the residents?

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/12/08 05:46 PM

Sorry, Moondancer, I haven't played that far yet. I just got to the radio station. I think I'll halt the main quest here for a while, do some exploring and levelling up before I pursue anything else.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/12/08 06:49 PM

I'm going to leave the main quest for last unless it interacts with where I am. I'm trying to do the minefield quest for Moira but I keep getting side tracked just exploring and then walking home with all my loot. I killed a Savenger which gave me bad karma, I guess I won't do that again, but I just didn't trust him enough to put my gun away and back off.
I like it that you can't build up skills by just doing dumb things over and over again. Its hard though to have to assign skills right when you level up...I liked Fallout 2 where you could save up points until you figured out where you needed them...but its Ok I just have to have a plan ahead of leveling up.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/12/08 09:12 PM

Sorry Moondancer I haven't done that quest yet. I did a quick search and couldn't find your answer.

If anyone does find it, please place the answer in a Spoiler Box as this is a pretty major piece of the puzzle if I understand it correctly... thanks

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/13/08 12:15 AM

Moondancer, you may find the answer here .

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/13/08 01:27 AM

Moondancer,

I just played through that section and...

Click to reveal..
There is no other resolution. You have to activate the failsafe to leave.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/13/08 08:04 PM

Thanks, Rowan and Trail_Mystic, in the end, I actually tried both ways to exit,
Click to reveal..
(the "ripper" way and the "failsafe" way)
and at first, I could not understand why one was considered "good" and the other bad;
Click to reveal..
(the ripper way does not actually kill them, as it's just a simulation; the "failsafe" way does kill them in reality) but then I realised that they probably suffered more alive than dead.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/14/08 12:18 AM

I'm stuck and need a spoiler. insane I've arrived at Rivet City via land route but can't find an entrance to the city. There's a metal structure where the town name is and the beggar, Carlos, is on the platform. The arrow on my map show that Rivet City is right here. However, there's nothing but this structure and Carlos. What am I missing?

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/14/08 01:18 AM

Rowan, I'm at the same spot except that Carlos is dead. Hope I don't need him. I have searched all over but haven't found a hotel. Did you go down the metro station? I met up with three mercs wearing talon armor and got some armor to repair mine.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/14/08 01:24 AM

Carlos just wants pure water. You only need him to boost your good karma.

I'll try going down the train tunnels. Maybe there is an underground way in. Try not to shoot me if you run into me in the tunnels.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/14/08 01:58 AM

Rowan,

Click to reveal..
Not too far from Carlos is an intercom. You need to click on that, then security will activate the bridge for Rivet City

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/14/08 02:20 AM

Thank you, Trail!

Can anyone explain what the numbers after the ammo means? For example: Shell(12/42)

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/15/08 12:58 PM

your weapon has total 54 bullets. 12 are loaded and 42 remain in cache.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/15/08 08:09 PM

thanksBoshettee.

Does anyone know where you can buy lockpicks?

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/15/08 11:08 PM

You just have to find them; at least I haven't bought any. I will always save the game just before attempting to use a lockpick. If it should break, I reload the saved position and try again. I guess I have @40 lockpicks(bobby pins).

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/16/08 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Rowan
thanksBoshettee.

Does anyone know where you can buy lockpicks?

You just have to keep your eye open for Bobby Pins, that's what you use to pick locks. Occasionally, they show up at a wasteland trader or Moira's.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/16/08 12:11 PM

Hi, guys! I just want to say: I finally beat the Main Quest! yay cool broccoli
Perhaps now I can have my life back again..... think

As the game properly ends, I'd have to reload an earlier save to complete all the side quests I haven't yet done, but I think I probably did most of them (I stopped Moira's quests with the "damage" one - so there might be quite a few I missed there). The end seemed very abrupt, and this game doesn't seem as big as Morrowind or Oblivion to me.

(Perhaps they were preparing us for a sequel?)

I'll probably now continue with the Witcher where I left off. puppy

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/16/08 02:57 PM

yay Moondancer wave

Will you play this one again?
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/16/08 03:19 PM

I don't like Fallout 3, it's distracted my Guild Wars guild leader, he hasn't been on since he got it.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/16/08 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: looney4labs
yay Moondancer wave

Will you play this one again?

Probably not entirely, you know. This is one of those Good/Evil games, and being my saintly self, it was quite natural for me to end up as a goodie-two-shoes, with "good" karma. wink

Now, apparently the ending is different depending on whether you have good or bad karma. As it is, I tried out about 4 small variations on how you could have done the ending, but the cut-scene at the end was almost the same, with those variations, but with me as a good guy.

I think sometime I'll reload just a bit before the ending, and go off to do some side quests, and perhaps just do some random "bad" stuff, to try and get my karma low enough so that I can see the alternate ending. (With me as a "bad guy" devil)

This was not really a very pleasant, attractive gameworld to be in, for me, so I doubt that I'd want to restart again from scratch.

They did leave the ending very open for a sequel, so I suppose it won't be too long before we see either an expansion of some sort, and eventually a sequel, as I believe the game sold very well. happydance

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/16/08 05:38 PM

I've actually become quite hooked on this game. I didn't like it at first and almost quit playing. I still don't know the difference between all the gun and ammo types but levelling up helps a lot and I'm aiming better. It's also amazing the amount of damage a simple melee weapon can do. I'm also playing on easy now.

I try to keep my karma at neutral. From there it's easy enough to become evil for a time just by stealing (for survival, of course). It's also easy enough to become good again by giving water to the beggars, donating to the atom church, or by donating scrap metal to the water reservoir guy.

I do wish there were a completed on-line guide to help out. So far I have found only 2 incomplete ones.

I've now found a new pet puppy called Dogmeat. He follows me and helps me to fight or find items for me. However, I'm so afraid he'll get killed thatI left him with my home robot to keep him company.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/16/08 05:56 PM

I was surprised at the ending as well. Just to reiterate what Moondancer mentioned. While this game is made by Bethesda and does resemble Oblivion in some ways it is not the same style of story.

If you purely follow the main quest line to fruition the game ends-Period. There's no going back unless you go to an earlier game as Moondancer (and I lol) is doing.

So if you want this to last longer, do some exploring of the other vaults and cities, that's where you will pick up other side quests. You can move in and out of the main quest line up to a point.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/17/08 03:55 AM

I can't believe that I'm 25 hours into the game and haven't gotten sick of it yet razz Every time I go to progress the main storyline I discover a new area with at least one interesting quest I want to try. I thought "The Underworld" rocked and I'm currently doing a quest for Reilly, the female merc who was in a coma.

I do find it too easy to get distracted though, so sometimes if an area doesn't interest me straight away or I'm wasting too much ammo fighting off bad guys, I'll just leave and carry on with whatever I was doing before hand.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/17/08 11:50 PM

I was poking around around trying to march in a stright line to the Mine field but failing because I'd see something I "NEEDED" to check out. Anyway I found a wooden quonset hut/barn building with a fellow all decked out in a vest with granades carrying a rifle but he was sitting in the middle of the hut and asked me for a drink of water and I gave it to him and a soda bottle appeared in his hand and he drank it and then walked off and only spoke set phrases to me (he had a name and of course I've forgotten it). There was a motor cycle in the hut and some other good stuff BUT upstairs there was a ham radio set that you could turn on and leave on.....which I did.
Has anyone else seen anything like that and do you know if the ham radio is conected to a quest?? I hope it was OK to leave it on as I'm not sure I could find the hut/barn again....even though I was headed to the minefield I think the hut/barn was near vault 101...don't ask how I got there. I must have set out for the minfield like 10 times and I never make it because I fill up with loot.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/18/08 08:10 PM

There are ham radios to turn on/off all over the place. So far fiddling with them hasn't done anything in my game. I've met only 2 people who have asked for water: The guy sitting outside Megaton and Carlos who is outside Rivet City. There may be more. I think their only purpose to boost your karma.

Have any of you found a place called Oasis? I just come from there and the area is amazing - very different from the rest of Wasteland. thumbsup I won't say any more.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/18/08 08:28 PM

I've been near Oasis, so will have to check it out. Another interesting place is an area inside the Museum of History. I was very surprised at what was on the other side of the door.
Posted By: mcc

Fallout 3 - 11/22/08 09:02 PM

Is there a way to holster the weapon?

I walk around with my pistol in hand and sometimes with a sudden movement it shoots, not the most friendly attitude duh.

Re: Fallout 3 - 11/22/08 10:14 PM

The R key should work. You may have to hold it down a couple seconds, depending on which weapon you are using.

Re: Fallout 3 - 11/22/08 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Pokey
The R key should work. You may have to hold it down a couple seconds, depending on which weapon you are using.

Yup, it's any weapon that requires reloading, because the reload command is also the [R] key.

Re: Fallout 3 - 11/23/08 01:15 AM

Thank you Pokey,
I had tried the R key and it hadn't worked but it was a normal hit not a hold, I tried again now holding it and it did. happydance

Re: Fallout 3 - 11/23/08 01:33 AM

yay Mcc

Glad it's working for you now puppy

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/23/08 06:18 AM

So anyone come across a Death Claw yet? I seem to be a magnet for these allegedly rare and dangerous creatures. I'd actually like to get one as a Guard Dog lol Luckily after being relentlessly pursued by them I have come across an almost fool proof defense:

Click to reveal..
RUN! lol
Actually a few well placed mines seem to do the trick WHILE you are running wink

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/23/08 03:52 PM

Trail, that is one of my favorite techniques in most games lol

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/23/08 05:36 PM

Yes, I have met one Deathclaw and that was enough. I did think it was ever so considerate of it to wait during his attacks while I stimpacked myself over and over again.

Does anyone know if you can spoil a quest by exploring too soon in an area before a quest for that location has been triggered? I find I am opening a lot of new locations en route to one quest and I'm easily side tracked to explore. However, I've located more than I can handle at once and am afraid I will forget what I have been in and what is still unexplored.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/23/08 09:39 PM

It seems to be dependent on the situation Rowan. I came into what should have been midway through a quest, but because one of the main quest characters had been killed in a battle the others perceived me as a threat. I had to defend myself against them, after which I received the ominous "Quest Failed" message. So, it's not when you come across a quest line, it's what the circumstances are surrounding it.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/24/08 05:53 PM

Misrepresented a Perk! in this paragrah so deleted it.

After playing 3 or 4 times to level 4 just to get the hang of the skills and perks I spent some time figuring out what perks I wanted at each level and where more or less I was going to put my skill points. I identifyed about 4 holes where I could grab a perk that wasn't "essential" to me and I just made some notes of what the ones might be good to fill those holes and then I could see as I played where I needed some perk reinforcement. I also made some notes for the last 3-4 perks incase I felt invinciable enough and wanted some "fun" perks.

So far my plan seems good with the exception that I should have used points to get to 50 lockpick (with a +5 pair of clothes) and 50 science (with another +5 suit of clothes) a level earlier than I did. I was hoping to find some books and spend points on other areas but its just to maddening to come acrossed things you can't open. All fixed now though.

Such a fun game...a little to much gore (we have a one room (big) live/work and others don't want to see my gore while they are putzing around or reading and look up) but I try to be sensitive to when I play.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/24/08 09:20 PM

I am stuck in the Memorial trying to get into Taft Tunnels Manhole but I need a key I don't have hardwall.

Dr Li opened it!

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/24/08 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Nipomo
For the Deathclaws...if they are just driving you nuts there is a perk that makes it easier to kill them and other Insecty type things (like ants and radroaches but not sure about the murklurks or what ever thier names are)....

That's interesting because Death claws are a reptilian based creature... think

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/25/08 01:28 AM

I'm trying to do the Tenpenny quest peacefully by pursuading 5 of the residents to leave. I'm having difficulty because my speech skill is not that high. Does anyone know where I can buy some charisma boosting drugs? The usual beer or other spirits doesn't boost enough.

Also, if I can't do that my next option is to get the generator door open for the ghouls but the door indicates that it is activated elsewhere. Does anyone know where this other location is?

Third, does anyone know what is behind the vacant suite door in tenpenny tower? It's locked and needs a key which I don't have.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/25/08 01:47 AM

Do you have a save right before you ask? Repeated asking and reloading usually works for me.

Sexy Sleepware +1 Ch bought from Bannon in Rivet City
Grimy Pre-War businesswear +5 Speech found in houses in the minefield.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/25/08 05:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Rowan
I'm trying to do the Tenpenny quest peacefully by pursuading 5 of the residents to leave. I'm having difficulty because my speech skill is not that high. Does anyone know where I can buy some charisma boosting drugs? The usual beer or other spirits doesn't boost enough.

Also, if I can't do that my next option is to get the generator door open for the ghouls but the door indicates that it is activated elsewhere. Does anyone know where this other location is?

Third, does anyone know what is behind the vacant suite door in tenpenny tower? It's locked and needs a key which I don't have.

Mentats boost your Charisma 1 point and your intelligence 2 points, just remember the effects do not stack, so don't take more than one - they are very addictive. That in combination with some sort of clothing that Pokey mentioned should help. Otherwise you'll just have to wait until later to develop your speech skills by taking more points when you level up. Don't use booze to increase your charisma if you need to have a higher speech skill. Intelligence is one of the contributing attributes to speech, which is lowered when you take any alcohol.

For the remaining questions:

Click to reveal..
You can only open that door from a computer terminal that is located in a locked room, the entrance of which is behind and outside of Tenpenny Tower. The Guard at the front desk is the only one with the key. If you have sided with the Ghouls you're most likely going to have to kill him to get it.

As for the vacant suite, you would find out about that had you selected the other alternative to disarming the bomb in Megaton. As it is now it will remain closed to you.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/25/08 05:57 PM

maybe I have it wrong Trail....I'll try and look it up and edit this with the answer.

I was wrong. That perk only helps with mutated insects. I should have looked it up before I commented.

When I read about the perk they said it was good against annoying difficult (insect) foes in DC and helped you do a lot of exploring easier and I think I didn't get how limited it was...I think there must be difficult radroaches later.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/25/08 10:58 PM

Is anyone doing thier own decorating??? I had a look at the house themes on UTube because I can't keep any caps in my pockets in this game and I wanted to see if they were worth saving for. I decided to save caps and decorate myself. I've been putting around little bits of loot I've found. I do alot of saves as I go!

I put toys on top of the wooden shelves by the stairs, toy car, nucka-cola truck, harmonica, 8 ball and teddy bear so far (all nicely arranged...hard work).

In a corner I have a dog bowl and I pulled a milk crate out of the kitchen and put it near the dog bowl and filled it with numbered pool balls as if they were tennis balls dogmeat could play with and I stuck a teddy bear down there for him too.

I put a damaged garden nome against the wall downstairs, a camera on the desk upstairs. In the empty spaces in the locker downstairs I put a wrench and hammer.

I hate the icky old bed sure wish I had sheets for it but I was thinking of dumping all my pre-war money on it but I have to wait awhile as I need it now for ammo. Does anyone have any good ideas for decorating the bed??

I wish the house had a bathroom with a tub so I could throw empty whiskey bottles in it.

Later when I'm a bit richer I plan to put a lot of food on the kitchen shelves if it is possiable to shove them in there.

Anyway any one being this nutty, if so tell me any good ideas and I'll try them out.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/26/08 01:25 AM

Yes, I have the same things on my wooden shelves--Nuka-Cola trucks, toy cars, teddy bears, baseball glove, Lincoln's hat, Lincoln toy figure. I have Teddy bears on the bed and on the chair. I put two garden gnomes on my deck. The nice new one is inside. I also put a couple boxes of food on the kitchen shelves. I can't bring anything home to Dogmeat because he just got himself killed by showing up in a dangerous situation. I'm on the lookout for more decorations.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/26/08 01:35 AM

That part sounds like a lot of fun to play! I'm almost afraid to ask, is dogmeat an animal, or???

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/26/08 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: nickie
That part sounds like a lot of fun to play! I'm almost afraid to ask, is dogmeat an animal, or???

lol Actually both...er...depending on how hungry you get. You have the option of picking up an animal companion in the game. You also come across the more vicious variety which yield dinner once dispatched, if needed...

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/26/08 01:45 AM

Nickie, Dogmeat is a mangy black and white shepard mix dog. He is an NPC in all of the Fallout games. You can get quite attached to him but it is hard to keep him alive till the end. He can be of help battling enemies. I left him in my shack and thought he was safe, but he showed up miles away in a very dangerous situation and I couldn't save him.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/26/08 02:01 AM

Thanks! I've kind of thought I wouldn't like the game scenery, but it's sounding more and more interesting to play.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/26/08 03:00 AM

Thanks for all the help on my last quest. I ended up helping the ghouls
Click to reveal..
and ended up getting a ghoul mask as a reward. The ghoul mask prevents dangerous ghouls from attacking you because they think you're one of them.

I haven't bothered decorating my Megaton house. However, I did buy a lab which removes addictions, a healing station which removes rads, and a nuka machine which extends the power of the nuka-colas. I hope I never have to experience a nuclear disaster because I'm not sure I would survive those disgusting toilets. sick

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/27/08 04:01 AM

I finally completed the game. It took me 40 hours, although the main quest is a lot shorther than I was expecting, so if you're having fun doing your own thing, I suggest staying away from the main quest. There were a few things I didn't get to experience that I would've liked to, but all in all it was an excellent experience.

END OF GAME SPOILERS:
Click to reveal..
I felt the ending was a bit of a let down. It was quite abrupt. It had a good lead up to the final scene (with Liberty Prime) but no real boss fight to speak of, no climax. I sacrificed myself in the same vein as my father had, but I never really felt the importance of "Project Purity" - only what select few people told me - so the ending didn't feel as epic as it should have. It would've been nice to see some 3D greenery...a nice visual reward for all your hard work. The still images were a bit anticlimatic, despite the narrator doing a good job. War...war never changes.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/27/08 04:23 AM

We might want to limit end game discussions for the benefit of those that are still in the thick of it all. thanks

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/27/08 11:57 PM

Did anyone find all the bobbleheads yet? I've picked up 7 so far. It reminds me of looking for the indices in Morrowind.
Posted By: Ameno

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/28/08 04:55 PM

I just paused playing it the game rock even this is not a RPG and i didnt had to upgrade my pc.

Nipomo,
How do you place items around your house toys, teddy bears and other stuff.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/28/08 06:09 PM

Right-click the item in your inventory you wish to drop, close your inventory. Then with the cursor on the item press the [Z] key, which will "grab" the item. Take it where ever you would like to place it and then hit the [Z] key again to drop.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 11/30/08 08:22 PM

Trail_Mystic,

thanks

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/01/08 06:48 PM

Hi Ameno
Do lots of saving when you decorate your house, its hard work and you can wreak it very easily. I save everytime I get some thing right and then later go back and delete some of the early decorating saves so I don't clog up my harddrive.

My new decorations are a rake in a corner and a package of bubble gun on my toy shelve. I also set up the table up stairs with a hot plate (that I think looks like a desk lamp) an iron and a red nightgown (uhlala) that I am supposabley getting ironed.

Its just fun and I stop and go back to my save if I get flustrated and try again some other time.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/02/08 01:46 AM

I finished the games with the same ending as orient. Is it worth playing in a different way to get the other endings. The only thing I can imagine to do is

*END GAME SPOILER*
Click to reveal..
not to sacrifice myself
but supposedly there other more endings.

If somebody got any different ending I would like to know about it, please PM me or email me if it is not good to post it here.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/04/08 09:14 AM

mcc,

Click to reveal..
There are more endings depending on your karma and quest you did.

Click to reveal..
for example if you did agatha quest you get her in your ending.

check out this cool house i found on the internet
Weapon and muniton storage
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/nynjato/ScreenShot22.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/nynjato/ScreenShot25.jpg

Research and Develpment
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/nynjato/ScreenShot26.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/nynjato/ScreenShot27.jpg

The "misc" corner
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/nynjato/ScreenShot28.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/nynjato/ScreenShot29.jpg

The library
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/nynjato/ScreenShot31.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/nynjato/ScreenShot30.jpg

Kitchen
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/nynjato/ScreenShot32.jpg

Treasured keepsakes
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/nynjato/ScreenShot34.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/nynjato/ScreenShot35.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/nynjato/ScreenShot36.jpg

R&R Room
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/nynjato/ScreenShot33.jpg

Personal quarters
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/nynjato/ScreenShot40.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/nynjato/ScreenShot39.jpg

IT'S NOT MINE

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/04/08 07:02 PM

Ameno
That's a very cool find. I've been trying to google search for people's own house decorations and not finding much. From my experience it must have been done with code (or an incrediably steady hand)...which doesn't make it any less cool.

My decorations are all the cute stuff, not weapons but I think I will try and put a few around after seeing this...maybe in the spare room. Not a lot because my RPGing about the house it that I want it to be a relief from the wasteland.

Have you found the shelter where
Click to reveal..
the resident feral ghoul spends his time pileing things in very intricate and creative ways???

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/05/08 02:26 AM

Has anyone found Agatha's violin? Spoiler requested.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/05/08 03:56 AM

Click to reveal..
You don't say, but I assume you have found Vault 92 (Agatha sends you to Vault Tec to locate it). When you enter the vault, go through the door on the left and head to the sound testing room, down some stairs.
Posted By: hagatha

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/05/08 05:30 AM

I picked up my copy of Fallout 3 the other day. Haven't loaded it up just yet -- I somehow managed to get stuck in a BG2 loop --but I'm dying to know how people are liking the game.

I'm not sure my computer can handle it, and if I need a new video card this is the perfect time of year to start dropping hints.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/05/08 06:17 AM

Hagatha, you are going to love it. It is the best game of the year. If you like a wide open landscape to explore with a new discovery over the hill, it fits the bill. I am getting close to the end of the game and don't want it to end.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/05/08 07:40 AM

nope i didnt find that feral

LINK REMOVED

Ameno CYPM

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/05/08 03:21 PM

Hagatha, I think you will like it. Your playing style is similar to mine. I didn't like it at first but I'm completely won over by now. It is a HUGE gameworld with lots to explore.

Pokey, thanks for the tip. I have been to that place but haven't found the violin. I'll go back again with a fine toothed comb. I'm near the end of the game, too. But I've decided to abandon the main quest until I find every single bobblehead and "found" and explored every single location.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/05/08 09:24 PM

Rowan, I had a hard time finding the room too.

Click to reveal..
I think you make a couple right turns after going through the left door in the first room. When you go down some stairs, you are almost there. Look for a room with some chairs and music stands.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/05/08 10:26 PM

Need help again: Can anyone direct me to where to find the Unarmed bobblehead? This one is most elusive.

I found the violin. thanks It was in
Click to reveal..
a locked room whose opening needed to be triggered in a completely different place.
Thanks again for all the help.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/06/08 12:00 AM

That's a hard one to find.

Click to reveal..
Go directly west of Casey Smith's garage, the center of the next block on the map. You should find a red rusty barrel that is radioactive. Look near it and find some banners hanging over a boulder. Inside, it is next to a body.

Did you find the one in the National guard Depot? I looked all over but think I missed an area.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/06/08 12:31 AM

Pokey, I did find the one in the Nat. Guard Depot. Sorry that the following spoiler is a bit vague:
Click to reveal..
Soon after you enter the National Guard Depot you will come across a door that needs to be opened from the other side. The bobblehead is not very far behind this door. It is almost impossible to describe the path to it. All I know is that I dropped down various holes in the floor until I ended up behind the area. To open this door from the other side you first have to activate either a lever or a computer before the door begins to flash signalling that you can open it. You will have to drop down in front of the door.
I spent a very long time in this place before I found myself in the right position. I sell bobbleheads for stubborness. lol

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/06/08 05:21 AM

I got it. Thanks. The lever was very hard to find.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/06/08 04:12 PM

I still can't find the Unarmed bobblehead.
Click to reveal..
In the square to the west of the garage there are no barrels and no flags. I've been over every inch of that square. The only dead bodies are the ones I've killed.
I've been to 2 other walkthrough sites and each gives a different location for this particular bobblehead. I hope it isn't a random location.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/06/08 05:59 PM

Rowan, try this:

Click to reveal..
From the back of the garage, head one mark to the left of the NW direction to a clump of trees on a small hill. You can see them from the garage. Just past the trees, turn on your local map and Rockopolis should show up. There is a barrel in front of the opening. The banners are hard to see. Go up to the boulder under the banners and put your curser on it.The last time I checked, the barrel wasn't radioactive and had a fire with some friendly ghouls near it.

I have 9 bobbleheads now.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/06/08 06:40 PM

Thanks, Pokey! praise That helped a lot! I finally got it. That was the hardest thing to find.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/06/08 06:51 PM

It was. I walked all the way to the edge of the map looking for it. I finally saw the banners from above. Don't forget to use the local map at times. So how many bobbleheads do you have? Which one are you going for next? Maybe we can cooperate on the search.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/06/08 07:02 PM

I have only one left: the lockpick one. I don't really need it for its skill points as I am already at 100 for that. However, I will look for it just to make my collection and display case complete.

I still have a lot of "undiscovered" places to explore.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/06/08 07:15 PM

I need that one too. Let you know if I have trouble finding it.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/06/08 07:47 PM

this is one of the easiest to find
Click to reveal..
it's in Bethesda Ruins east ofices second floor on a table

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/07/08 06:02 AM

I guess I'll try loading the game up tomorrow to see how it runs on my computer. I hope it runs. If not, I REALLY shold be doing other things...but I'd rather play. grin

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/07/08 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: hagatha
I guess I'll try loading the game up tomorrow to see how it runs on my computer. I hope it runs. If not, I REALLY shold be doing other things...but I'd rather play. grin

The game settings are pretty flexible. It will analyze your system and give you a baseline with which to start.
Posted By: Drizzt

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/07/08 05:16 PM

Hm, after finishing it I can concude it was a good game. Nothing outstanding, and definitely not in the same league as its predecessors but a fun post-apocalyptic game.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/07/08 05:47 PM

Drizzt, what kept it from being in the "same league" in your opinion?

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/08/08 08:53 PM

I'm going to explore everything before I do the main quest too, but I'll have to be carefull not to mess it up. I love the tension of exploring and crazy things you find.

I've been playing since it came out and just finished my first Quest (other than the get out of the vault ones and get a house one) it was the Survivile Guide one...boy was that long and I got to go lots of different places. I just put my copy of the guide on the desk upstairs in my house...it looks great. Be sure and take it out of your pip-girl and look at it. I put a pencil next to it and a wad of pre-war money. Oh a box of Potatoe Crisps for munching.

The other thing I've done is arrange a shelve in the kitchen with lunchboxes so I can see the front, back and all the sides...they are all different.

I'm starting the sad scared little boy and fire ants Quest next. I came accrossed him and can't wait to help out.
Posted By: Drizzt

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/08/08 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: looney4labs
Drizzt, what kept it from being in the "same league" in your opinion?

Well, for starters, it didn't have the same atmosphere. Which is very vague, I agree, but I never got the same feeling of immersion as I did with the first games. Also, most importantly, they removed the ability to team up with the real nasty lowlives of the wasteland and you couldn't join any factions at all. I mean, in Fallout 3 you could become a champion boxer, join any of the competing mob families of New Reno, wipe them all out, manage negotiations between Vault City and Gecko, solve the problem by just eradicating the latter, get married, blow up an outhouse with dynamite, have your ear bitten off, sell your companions to slavers, join the slavers and gather slaves for them....not to mention that the skill system was much better implemented. And the humour...I mean the special encounters where you encounter the guardian of the chasm of the abyss, Sir Arhtur's Knights, the talking head or those things...they were just absent.

It was still a very enjoyable game, but all in all it was just Oblivion with guns.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/10/08 05:22 AM

I have Fallout 2 on my laptop right now, so I might play it first, just to remember. I never did finish it, having trouble with the combat. But that was a long time and many games ago, and I might find it easier now.

Of course I'm still playing Thief 2 FM's, and I have my umpteenth game of BG2 on the go as well. So many games, so little time.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/10/08 06:16 AM

Drizzt, you can team up with individuals in Fallout 3 - some of them scumbags. You can also do some of the other things you mentioned, but they're just executed differently to prior Fallout games it seems.

As for the whole "Oblivion with guns" stigma, all I know is that I didn't like Oblivion one bit yet I loved Fallout 3.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/10/08 09:37 PM

I played Oblivion alot, once I got over its faults and started playing it in ways that maximizied its good parts, I really enjoyed it. As an example I almost quit when I figured out all the below ground areas where just the same basic layouts over and over again...then I learned to use the internet to find out the handful of unique underground areas and explored just them plus whatever I needed to to complete quests. I did much the same with other parts of the game coming up with ways to keep the game fresh untill I had played through everything. It was an open enough game to let you invent ways to play and of course there were mods as well.

I think Fallout 3 is much much better than Oblivion, more immersive, more unique situations. What it doesn't have when compared to Fallout 1 and 2 is the grittyness, the I gotta keep moving and where I may stop for a minute is not going to be comfortable feeling. I think its haveing a house...I love my house...but it gives one that level of comfort and fimilularity that you never got in the other 2 games. I always always felt like an outsider in the other games and the only person(s) I remotely trusted was Ian and in FO2 Sulik, Cassidy and Vic. I always felt I was scaming everyone else even if I was helping them because I knew I would move on to find whatever I needed to inable me to help my own people. When I figured out those kids where pickpocketing me in (I forget the town) when I was fairly new out of the vault and had no extra supplies I just wanted to never be nice to anyone again and when I kept getting thrown out of Vault City when I just knew I had to be there, I would get so mad...I just never get that feeling in Fallout 3. The environment of Fallout 3 makes you tense but the people...not so much.
Posted By: Benedict

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/16/08 09:22 AM

Just started playing Fallout3 last night and I am intrigued! I have passed the 1 year old (very cute - try "talk to dad" pacify DAA DAAH! although the ability to jump on a chair in a single bound is as disturbing as a mutant to a normal person in the X-Men mythology) and the 10 year old segment and I am doing the 15 year old segment tonight. My character is going to take the G.O.A.T. Any tips to share for the G.O.A.T.?

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/16/08 02:29 PM

Oblivion and Fallout 3 are very similar. However, what I preferred in Oblivion is that the vast number of side quests which lead you to the majority of locations in the game. Only a few places are not quest related. In Fallout 3 there are relatively very few side quests and the vast majority of map locations are not quest related.

The GOAT test is a character development test. The game will automatically apply points according to your answers. Not to worry, nothing is written in stone and can still be changed before exiting the vault.

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/20/08 01:10 PM

the goat is the best part of the game

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/20/08 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Ameno
the goat is the best part of the game

Care to elaborate on that Ameno?

Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread of Doom -Spoilers- New Patch Available! - 12/28/08 10:08 AM

...so it's been a good few weeks since I completed Fallout 3 and I find myself craving for more razz That's really odd for me because I usually don't have any interest in completing games multiple times, especially so quickly after and when the game's so long. It must be one of my favourite games of all time or something blush

I may hold off until the first expansion pack, although by the sounds of it, it's very shooter-heavy because it's a war simulation. It will be cool to see the snow, though.
© 2021 GameBoomers Community