GB HOMEPAGE

Tomb Raider UnderWorld

Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/15/09 10:11 AM

Just thought I'd check in and see if anyone else is playing TR UnderWorld. I just started Level 4 in southern Mexico. This is such a beautiful game. The graphics are outstanding.
So far I've had no major problems playing on Vista. The only problem I have is with saving a game. It is confusing the way the saves are "numbered" and they are listed backwards when I go to look at them.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/15/09 03:37 PM

I just finished the game a week ago. Yes, the environments are just lush! I hated the stupid motorcycle which was nearly impossible to control with a keyboard or gamepad and of all the hours I spent in the game, I never did figure out the save system.

But still, I really liked the game and plan on playing again to pick up all the things I missed along the way!
Posted By: oldman

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/15/09 05:19 PM

I was just wondering. How much of the game is spent on underwater swimming? That is one of the parts of these new TR games that is the most difficult for me to navigate through.

I see also see that Stella already has save games that would get me through the impossible (for me) parts of the game.
Posted By: marie

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/15/09 05:30 PM

I just got the game Thursday and started to play but it crashed. I didn't remember that you had to have a patch for it, so after I downloaded and installed the patch, no more problems. But I understand the game has a lot of bugs when I checked on Stella's site so I'm avoiding doing the things that she suggested would trigger the bugs.

I love the environment so far very beautiful graphics.

The save system is confusing to say the least, even when you save and then try to go back and load that save it's not the same one you saved?? Kind of goofy. I think they tried to make it more like a console game with the auto save feature.

The controls aren't too bad for this Tomb Raider as they have been in the past. The only thing I don't like so far is the chimney wall climb, I usually fail several times before I can do it, it's a little frustating.

All and all I'm enjoying playng it.

Marie wave
Posted By: mcc

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/15/09 06:56 PM

I don't know how to use the sonar map well, I don't seem to get any useful information that it, supposedly, gives. Any help?

I have found that when loading a game I don't appear in the spot I saved but everything I had done is done anyway.

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/16/09 09:31 AM

Oldman so far not to much time is spent swimming underwater and what there is is much easier than in past games. You can also play the game in "easy" mode. Draclvr I've just reach the part with the motorcycle and I to am having trouble controlling it with the keyboard. I actually had better luck controlling the motorcycle in the older TR games. The chimney wall climb gets better with practice.

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/16/09 04:03 PM

I actually got pretty good with chimney wall climbing!

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/16/09 05:22 PM

Glad to hear somebody is getting good with the chimney climbing, I guess I just have to try harder and remember to count how many times I have to hit the space bar to keep jumping up. lol

I haven't had any problem with the underwater areas so far, but I'm sure that the Andamen Sea and Artic Sea levels will have some part in those levels.

I'm just going to start The Mexican level today so I will see how the motorcycle controls are going to be.

Marie wave

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/16/09 06:36 PM

Thanks for the info Gerry. wave I'm trying to wait and see if I can get this game in a trade. If not, I'll probably purchase it down the road. Right now am getting myself back in a TR mode by replaying Anniversary. Thanks to Stella I can get past some of the impossible (for me) crazy jumps and Boss battles. smile

Posted By: BaldBob

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/16/09 09:32 PM

On a post some time back I offered that there are no limits to the number of save slots. Well..........that is not correct. I ended up maxing out with 40 save slots. So this is just an fyi, if you need more, you will have to begin overwriting. And the game has automatic saves. I believe that when you save, it goes back to that last point. If, however, you find a treasure or relic, it will "remember" that you have found that one, and not make you go get it again.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/16/09 10:34 PM

BaldBob, if you need more than 40, can you move your older saves to a separate folder? That is what I do with the Witcher.

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/17/09 09:57 AM

Well I'm at the "timed" motorcycle run in Mexico and drove into a pit and died! I'm going to have to practice with the bike! I did discover one cool move by accident. When you hit the space with the arrow keys you can make Lara spin completely around on the bike!

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/17/09 12:39 PM

I gave up on the timed ride there and used Stella's save. That is a cool move and also useful if you time it right!

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/17/09 03:59 PM

I'm doing the 2nd calendar puzzle today and then on to the timed motorcycle event, Wish Me Luck! lol

Kaki'sSister, Thanks for the idea on the motorcycle move, I'm going to try that out, it sounds like a hoot! rotfl

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/18/09 09:35 AM

It really is fun marie! I'm going to practice the motorcycle run before I do the "real" one. Good Luck to you! Let me know if you make it!

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/18/09 08:14 PM

Kaki's Sister, I tried about 4 or 5 times and those keyboard controls really where to hard to manage given the short period of time and those curves, too much pressure for this old lady. rotfl I finally gave in and downloaded a save from Stella's site. I'm now starting Land of the Dead after having fougt to skelton things, I loved stomping them bad boys! lol

I hope you had better luck than I did with the motorcycle run. luck

Marie wave

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/19/09 09:32 AM

Hi Marie, I did have sucess with the timed motorcycle run! I failed doing it from the "2nd" puzzle. When I retried by resetting the "1st" puzzle I was able to make the ride to the opening sucessfully! For anyone else out there you might want to set both puzzles and if you don't make it in time go back to the "1st" puzzle because you only have to reset the outer ring and go from there.
It seemed easier to make the turns from this direction.
Also when I did the "spin" around on the bike it also made a chirping sound like I was peeling out on pavement! Great fun!

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/19/09 01:42 PM

Nicely done, Gerry!

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/19/09 04:16 PM

Fantastic Gerry bravo You should be proud puppy
Posted By: Volkana

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/19/09 04:47 PM

That was a tricky point. Well done!! grin

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/19/09 05:47 PM

Hi Gerry, Well Done! bravo It's very clever of you to have figured out a better way to do that timed puzzle. You should email Stella and have her add it to her tips on the site.

I finished Land of the Dead, I had a blast with it. rotfl

I'm playing on to Jan Mayen Island Level and I'm now figuring out that motorcycle or maybe its just the circular ramp that that I'm getting a rush from. Wait till you see the giant machine in this part!! lol

Marie wave

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/20/09 09:17 AM

Hi Marie. I found that tip in Stella's walk thru so she already knows. Wow Marie you are moving right along. I can't wait to catch up to you!

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/20/09 04:52 PM

Hi Kaki's Sister, Yes I'm really hooked on this game. My husband says his hearing almost shot from my sub woofer rattling the walls of the house. lol

Have fun and enjoy the ride!! rotfl

Marie wave

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/21/09 03:39 AM

Just a suggestion for those approaching Jan Mayen Island-Valhalla:
SPOILER ALERT (NOT A BIG ONE THOUGH)/I don't know how to code this so it can be a popup. Maybe a Moderator can help change it.

Click to reveal..
If you are trying to capture all of the Relics, this one is really difficult. You use the motorcycle in a timed puzzle, and remembering the hallways in the dark really is confusing. So, get Stella's map, and have someone call out the turns as you approach them. That way you won't have to "remember" which way is which (and you will NOT know which way is which, trust me).
Posted By: Cathy1

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/21/09 03:49 AM

I can't wait for this game to come out in March on the PS2. It's been on my want list for quite a while now.

Cathy happydance

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/21/09 04:11 AM

BaldBob, after about a dozen tries for this relic, I finally gave up!

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/21/09 10:25 AM

Thanks for the advise BaldBob. I'll let you know if I make it.

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/21/09 04:21 PM

Cathy1, I was going to wait on the PS2 version also but I got a great buy on the PC version on ebay for less than $20. so I couldn't resist. But I may still get the PS2 version to see what its like, maybe the motorcylce controls will be a little easier for me, although I'm getting better with them. I'm going to check out Stellas site for the walkthrough to be sure that I can get past any bugs in the game for the PS2 version.

BaldBob, Great suggestion for the timed puzzle. thumbsup
I just memorized the left right left straight stuff and what I saw at each intersection (such as the entrance, etc) and did a lot of trial runs. It's really a tuffie.

Marie wave

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/21/09 09:39 PM

HI Marie
My computer won't run the game. Not enough oomph. I loved all the other Tomb Raider games so I'm hoping this one will be great also.

Cathy

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/22/09 09:22 PM

Hi Cathy, I know what you mean about computer oomph, mine just makes the requirements and sometimes kicks up a fuss. This one is sure to please, no Boss fights and March isn't too far off. I played the last two (Legend and Anniversary on PS2) I enjoyed them with the exception of the Boss fights which my grandchildren helped me with. lol

Marie wave

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/23/09 09:32 AM

I am in the Jan Mayen Island Level and had trouble with the motorcycle run down the circular path with holes to the door! I made it to the bottom 3 times and died when those 4 creatures attacked me. In 2 of my runs I actually went over the side of one of the holes and landed at the bottom but didn't die. Lost a lot of health though and I think that's way I died so quickly when I got attacked.

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/23/09 12:23 PM

Whenever I saw the wraiths, I stopped the motorcycle and got off to kill them with the shotgun. I think the 4 at the bottom killed me the first time too.

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/23/09 04:53 PM

Hi Everyone, I just shot the first one and kept on around the spiral, being sure to keep to the left and go up and over those little ledges and you can bump into the pieces that stick out and still get around but keep your speed up over the ledges and let off a little at the piece that sticks out and at the bottom just run over all the wraiths, that kills them, because its to hard to deal with so many of them by hand, you will probably get killed. luckto all of You!

Marie wave

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/24/09 10:32 AM

I'm on the giant tower working my way to the top. I love this game!

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/25/09 04:04 PM

Hi Gerry, Yeh! its really a blast, I loved it too.

Marie wave

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/26/09 12:35 AM

I just started another game on this new computer I just built. I put in a high end graphics card and the game just plays and looks awesome!

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/26/09 10:09 AM

That's great Dradvr! Enjoy!

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/28/09 11:51 AM

Nice!!! Enjoy the game dradvr!!! thumbsup

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/28/09 03:56 PM

I'm trying playing in the most difficult mode this time. I'm really going to try to get all of the treasures too!
Posted By: nickie

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 02/28/09 04:45 PM

Way to go, gals!

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/01/09 10:20 AM

I'm playing in easy mode the first time and so far I've been able to get all but one treasure. I missed the one that was underwater near the beginning of the game on the way back to the boat. Couldn't go back for it because it went to a video and into the next Level.
My last save was to far back in the game so I didn't go back. I'm looking forward to playing this one again in "hard" mode.

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/01/09 06:10 PM

Hi Gerry,
Since you done playing the game, start the game use the "Treasure Hunt" to pick up any items you have missed. "Treasure Hunt" should appear after the game is completed and just click on that then what the scene comes up use the TAB to go to "Revisit Location" then find the location in the list and click on it to go back to that area, that's all there is to it. Enjoy!

Marie wave

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/01/09 06:57 PM

Thanks Marie!

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/02/09 12:06 AM

You know what is missing from this TR, that was in the other two I played (Legend and Anniversary)? A "Play the Cutscenes" option. I love that. They spent innumerable hours and, likely, millions of dollars to animate those scenes. You'd think they would be glad to have us play them over-and-over (like I would) without having to play thru the whole section/game again. I really miss it. Anyone know of a download to play them?

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/02/09 02:40 AM

Is any of this stuff on youtube what you're looking for?

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/02/09 11:33 AM

Thanks for that info Marie. I will definitely try to get the treasure I missed. I finished the Tower and am now ready to make the timed run thru the tunnel on the bike. I'll let you know if and when I make it!

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/02/09 03:48 PM

Go get 'em Gerry luck

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/02/09 03:50 PM

Hi Gerry, Ok, luck wave

BaldBob,I also missed seeing those cutscenes, here's what I found on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_ty...ider+underworld

Marie wave

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/03/09 04:29 AM

Well I finally gave in and got this game and, so far, and really pleased with the controls and think the graphics are fantastic. I'm just starting Mexico and see what was meant in earlier comments about the motorcycling. It is really clumsy for me and I can't attain much speed without bumping into everything.

Am dreading the timed run that has been talked about and, knowing me, will probably have to resort to a "Stella" save.

So far though, I have been able to manage which is an improvement over my performance in TR Anniversary.

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/03/09 09:54 AM

oldman are you playing in the "easy" mode? That can really help if you have trouble with the controls.

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/03/09 08:04 PM

Thank you Gerry and yes I always play on the easy as I'm somewhat of a wimp. rotfl

I've finished the first Mexico chapter and now am on to the next, which I see by Stella's walkthrough is where the timed sequence is. eek

So, here's hoping. woozy

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/04/09 10:27 AM

oldman there is more than one timed sequence with the motorcycle. i was not able to do it the "first" way but I did do it following the suggestion in Stell's walk thru and went back to the "first" gate and made the run from there. It was easier but still tricky.

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/04/09 06:26 PM

Thank you Gerry. I am trying it that way and almost made it. The auto save brought me back to the motorcycle starting the run from the first gate so maybe, if I'm real lucky, I'll eventually get it. If I can keep from crashing into that first wall....... sad hardwall

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/05/09 09:33 AM

oldman if you practice doing it slowly you'll get. Don't try to go to fast. If youcrash into the wall there is a way to spin the bike around to face the right direction.
You simply hold the space bar and the directional arrow key and the bike will spin around. Don't hold the space bar and key to long or Lara spins in a complete circle. Try doing it a couple time it's really fun and it gets Lara back on track faster than backing the bike up. Good Luck!

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/05/09 12:48 PM

Thanks Gerry - what a great tip!

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/05/09 06:31 PM

Thanks Gerry. I finally got thorough Mexico (without using Stella's save games) crazy bravo woozy

Now I just finished climbing that Mechanical Tower in the Gate of the Dead chapter and I must have had a glitch. I turned all four areas twice and only had 3 light beams. mad I finally got tired of it and got a Save from Stella for that area and was able to open the gate.

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/06/09 10:17 AM

Good job oldman. Your almost up to me. I'm ready for the 2nd timed door in this area. It's a really hard timed run!
Your welcome nickie. grin

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/06/09 04:59 PM

luck Gerry

Let us know how you do wave

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/07/09 01:59 PM

broccoli tomatoI did it! I got the second timed door open this morning! I'm sooo excited! tomato broccoliI'm now on my way into the 4th small room with the blue water pool!

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/07/09 03:38 PM

OK. You guys are all making me feel bad for wimping out and using Stella's save! This time through I SHALL make it all by myself!

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/07/09 04:20 PM

Thats Wonderful Gerry bravo bravo Way To Go!!

Marie wave

Hey! draclvr don't worry about it I've had to use a few saves from Stella myself. lol

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/07/09 05:38 PM

bravo bravo bravo Gerry

Drac, go for it thumbsup

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/08/09 09:34 AM

Thank you Thank you! grinIt's such a good feeling when I get one of those hard timed sequences. I practice the run first so I commit it to memory and then I try to stay calm when I actually go for it. Drac if I can do it you can too. Just have patience and practice! Good luck!

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/11/09 09:22 AM

I'm now in the Artic Level so will probably finish this weekend. I like this game so much better than the last TR game. The controls for the PC especially for grapple runs were so much easier for me. How are you doing Drac/

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/11/09 10:46 AM

Just made it to Thailand last night. The game is SO much more fun on this new computer I built!

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/11/09 11:11 AM

yay Draclvr!!! This game is really amazing. Glad you enjoying it...

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/12/09 09:06 AM

Draclvr glad to hear you are having fun and moving right along. The graphics are really great in this one. I'm going to play it again as soon as I finish!

I'm now ready to start the timed run in Arctic Sea. Lots of jumping to do in order to get the relic! Anyone got any helpful advice or know how much time Lara has before it runs out?

I just finished TR UnderWorld! What a fantastic game!

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/17/09 09:18 PM

Well I finished and am so impressed. It's one of the few games that I'm sorry it's over. The graphics, of course, are so great. I really thought the storyline was well done and very intriguing. The emotions they were able to show on Lara and the other characters were the best I've seen in a PC game.

I also concur that the game without the impossible boss battles was much more enjoyable and I was actually able to finish this game without using any save games by Stella. I did dodge the second timed run of the game by finding the hammer room and just going through it without picking up the relic. (didn't think one more relic was worth all that fuss anyway).

All in all, in my opinion, this is the best of the newer batch (the ones since chronicles).

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 03/18/09 09:20 AM

Congratulations oldman! It was the best game! I to was happy there were no boss fights. I was able to get all the relics and treasures.
Did you know you can go back in the game and try and get the relic you missed? Which relic did you miss?
Posted By: Lynnypoo2

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 04/05/09 08:35 PM

I have played all the TR games and ashamed to say that i'm confused in the very first part killing the Octopus. I pulled the levers on the left and the right. Are there only 4 levers all together? I have the one up over the Octopus and the one up top that i can't pull yet. Am i missing something? Thanks,
Lynnypoo2

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 04/05/09 08:49 PM

There is another lever on the wall where the 2nd lever is. You have to pull it away from the wall before it will work. You will see the icon for the grapple hook. If you've done all that, go back to that small platform on the wall where one of the switches is. Take a look at the chains on either side? Does it look like they may have weak links? You know what to do!
Posted By: JohnBoy

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 04/06/09 02:21 AM

I just this minute finished Underworld. Awesome game. I loved the story. The game play was a bit repetitious but it was still loads of fun. I love the underwater swimming but I don't like driving the motorcycle. I thought it was a lot easier to drive in Legend.Those heights you have to climb make my stomach feel weezy. eek Does anyone else get height sickness when looking down? lol

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 04/06/09 02:47 AM

No, JohnBoy! In fact I would make a point of looking around at all the gorgeous scenery! But I did despise that motorcycle. I would have loved it had the direction control been the camera angle. Then I would have "gone like he**!"

I still need to play Legend. Underworld was so gorgeous and fun, I hope it's not a let-down...

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 04/06/09 04:38 AM

Tomb Raider Legend will not let you down. I loved it enough to play it 3 times. The scenery is beautiful in that one also.
I played it on the PS2.

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 04/06/09 09:10 AM

Congratulations on finishing JohnBoy! it was a fabulous game! I am now in the middle of playing the original Tomb Raider 1 and loving it. I have the whole series so I'm going to play them all one more time in order! So much fun!

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 04/06/09 11:27 AM

Thanks, Cathy1 - I think Lengend will be on my "buy" list then.
Posted By: JohnBoy

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 04/06/09 01:09 PM

Legend was very good except for the bosses. I wish they designed games to be able to skip them.
Posted By: gremlin

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 04/06/09 08:19 PM

I loved the glorious scenery in Underworld too. Absolutely breathtaking. laugh

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 04/06/09 10:17 PM

Thank you Draclvr. I'll give it a try. Even the walkthrough has me stumped on that one.....

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 04/09/09 09:42 PM

The save system really is awful. I spent 4 hours yesterday going through check point after check point and ending up back at the water to have to climb back up...I love her game but it's getting to be a pain...Love it though. Recommend to everyone..

Re: Tomb Raider UnderWorld - 04/10/09 04:17 PM

Lynnypoo, did you finally conquer it?
© 2024 GameBoomers Community