GB HOMEPAGE

Dragon Age

Posted By: Rowan

Dragon Age - 11/03/09 06:40 PM

It's here! It's in my hot little hands! I got the call from EB Games. I picked it up, of course. Big decision now: Do I start it or do I finish Risen? I'm not good at playing more than one game at once.
Posted By: maggie57

Re: Dragon Age - 11/03/09 11:16 PM

Rowan- grin

I just recieved mine today, gogamer sent it to me in the mail. Much quicker than I thought it would be.

Maggie tomato wave bravo
Posted By: Marian

Re: Dragon Age - 11/03/09 11:34 PM

My son has started this game, and he thinks it's fantastic!
Posted By: kazzmo

Re: Dragon Age - 11/04/09 12:07 AM

I am happy to say that mine also arrived today. My husband is feeling sooo much better, so I will probably start playing soon!
Posted By: Barb

Re: Dragon Age - 11/04/09 12:09 AM

I'm interested - is it a RPG? fIRST OR 3RD PERSON?

I'm interested -is it an RPG? 1at or 3rd person?

Rowan, if I were you, I'd finish one game before I started a new one. I can only play one at a time, too. smile

Posted By: oldman

Re: Dragon Age - 11/04/09 02:42 AM

From what I can tell by the reviews and the gameplay videos, it's 3d person. It's purported to be in the vein of Neverwinter Nights.

You guys got me researching the game and now I'm hooked. I ordered mine from Interact and Dave usually gets games to me in a couple of days.

Since Divinity 2 isn't scheduled until December, (which probably means Jan if I'm lucky) I'll have a couple of months to play this game.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/04/09 05:22 AM

Hi-

I am trying just to use my mouse on this game only, I do not like the WASD keys and all the others. Can someone tell me how to do this, I have tried to use my mouse, but so far no luck. If I cannot I will give the game away I guess.

Thanks

maggie help wave yay broccoli think
Posted By: Moondancer

Re: Dragon Age - 11/04/09 07:20 AM

I am sooo jealous of all of youuze... cry my copy is only coming over the weekend... I'll be pulling my hair out in frustration until then.... mad
Posted By: Karsten

Re: Dragon Age - 11/04/09 02:48 PM

Hi Maggie...

According to the manual (please look at page 9)

http://akamai.cdn.ea.com/eadownloads/u/f/manuals/GAME-DRAGONAGE/Manuals.zip
(note you will a program to open the zip files such as 7-zip; the source for the info about the manual is here:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/9/index/69466 )

you'll need to RIGHT-CLICK to move and interacts with object i.e. open doors, attack enemies and so on. I don't know this is? Maybe because left clicking is used for something else...?

Left-clicking in this game is used for selecting things you want to do i.e. drinking a potion from a quickslot, selecting a party member, opening a door etc. Or dragging a box around them to get them to move - by clicking om your right mouse button (RMB).

To zoom, you'll need to click your mousewheel - to rotate the camera click and hold the RMB (right mouse button).

There is no info in the manual (that I can find that you'll need to go into the game's options menu and change the controls to 'mouse only'. It'll be worth a shot, though, I think...

/Karsten
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Dragon Age - 11/04/09 04:09 PM

Hmmmmmmm I wonder when mine will come wave
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Dragon Age - 11/04/09 04:35 PM

I ordered mine from Dave at Interact last night and should have it in a couple of days. Maybe in time for some serious late night gaming this weekend!
Posted By: Mad

Re: Dragon Age - 11/04/09 06:28 PM

Mine now has the status "Packing" bravo

Although I am actually still meandering along through Morrowind.

[I am thinking Morrowind is set to be a permanent fixture on my machine lol]

Re: Dragon Age - 11/04/09 07:58 PM

Karsten- crazy

My page nine has the Class and Class Benifits on it only, nothing about moving or how to move at all.

Thanks

maggie wave help think broccoli :witch:

Re: Dragon Age - 11/04/09 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: maggie57
Karsten- crazy

My page nine has the Class and Class Benifits on it only, nothing about moving or how to move at all.

Thanks

maggie wave help think broccoli :witch:

Hi Maggie

Sorry about that frown

It was the UK version of the manual I've found...

You, being in the US, will need to look at page 6

You still move by clicking the right mouse button, though. Here's the relevant quote from the US Manual on page 6:

Quote:
To execute most actions, right-click the mouse. Right-clicking on an object makes your currently selected character take appropriate action—attack an enemy, talk to a friendly character, loot a corpse,open a door, pull a lever, and so forth. You can also right-click on the ground to direct your character to move to that location if you don’t feel like using the keyboard to move.

You'll need to look under complete controls or general controls in the manual; don't know if you have the CE version or not? It should be mentioned on page 6-7 though in the manaul for the US version of the game.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/04/09 08:24 PM

Karsten- grin

I could just shoot you, hey only kidding, now I will print out the UK and send you the bill. rotfl rotflI am such a dunce!!!!!!!! I had no trouble getting it upzipped, I have 7 zip. Thanks for all your help really, will let you know later how it goes.

Hugs

maggie wave grin happydance

Re: Dragon Age - 11/05/09 11:00 PM

Please note that there seem to be a glitch or a bug for the DLC items, if you play as a Dwarven Noble. (you won't have access to them). This only happens on the PC, though. Small comfort, I know...

Click to reveal..
The reason is that as Dwarf Noble, you'll loose your gear, at a certain point during the origin.

OriginalBaern at the Bioware DA spoiler forums points to a solution to this:

http://daforums.bioware.com/forums/v…orum=145&sp=30

In the thread is post from a developer, Nathan Frederick that comfirms the issue existing on the PC version. And there looking into how they can fix things.

A Bioware dev. (Sydney Tang has verified this to be true; he has also confirmed that the issue is NOT to be found in the console versions of the game:

Sydney Tang wrote:

Quote:
I am told that this bug was fixed for the console versions of the DLC items. The issue was found and fixed while testing the console port of the DLC, but the Windows DLC had been finalized by then.

This just to let you...

And inform any of you that might be playing the dwarf noble origins wondering where you dlc items went...

PS: Maggie, how it's going with the playing of this game?

Re: Dragon Age - 11/05/09 11:52 PM

Thanks Karsten. I wonder if they will get a patch out for the PC folks?

Re: Dragon Age - 11/06/09 01:16 AM

Karsten- grin

So far I have started the game twice, I think I need a new mouse as this one does not want to do what it is suppose to, so I will go to Best Buy tomorrow. Again, thanks for your help.

maggie wave broccoli tomato hardwall

Re: Dragon Age - 11/06/09 05:08 AM

Thanks, Karsten, I've made a note of that thumbsup

Re: Dragon Age - 11/06/09 04:31 PM

From RPG Watch comes word of patch 1.01 for DA: Origins.

http://www.rpgwatch.com/#13702
link to patch in this link)

It fixes, among other things 'potential corruption of character statistics.'

In other DA news, there is a problem with some of German DA games, but only it is has a white sticker on the back of the box.
(source: http://www.rpgwatch.com/#13702)

Just to ley you know smile

Re: Dragon Age - 11/06/09 05:24 PM

Thanks Karsten, I hope that fix will allow folks to be a Dwarven noble if they so desire wave

Re: Dragon Age - 11/06/09 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: looney4labs
Thanks Karsten, I hope that fix will allow folks to be a Dwarven noble if they so desire wave

Thanks looney smile

As for playing as a Dwarven noble - people may stil play this Origins; they just have to do it without the items from the DLC.

As for why this is happening, I don't know. duh

On on more general note in the dlc, I do think that Bioware did not expect how popular DA: Origins seem to be.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/06/09 09:38 PM

Confusion !! eek

I installed Dragon Age earlier (the disk version) JUST to see what it was like, of course lol and found it all a rather confusing process with the entering of passwords, user names, different codes and the downloading of stuff.
[Not quite as simple as other RPGs I've encountered whistle]

Then, when I thought I'd done everything, I noticed your post, Karsten, about the patch being available, so I downloaded and installed that too.

Baaaad !! As before the patch, the game ran fine but afterwards it refused to even launch - so I had to uninstall everything and start over mad

Is the patch not for everyone, then ??

My second installation is working fine, thank goodness, but I wasn't offered as much downloadable content this time and just wondered if anyone might know why think

I wasn't offered the Grey Warden Keep (or something like that). I can't remember the exact name now.
But I do have Prisoner of Stone (I think that's the name of that one).
Plus Feral Wolf Charm.
Plus Memory Band.

So have I got all the download stuff I should have ??

Re: Dragon Age - 11/06/09 11:00 PM

Hi Mad smile

It sound like you have the CE version of the game?

Also, do you have Windows Vista, XP, or Windows 7?
(can't remember, sorry)

There seem to be a problem with the 64 bit versions of Vista and Vindows 7, I think?
(could be related, could not be related).

As far helping your out, Mad, try this:

http://daforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=704181&forum=135

Please take a look at the suggestions made by JamesX

Do you have the code (on a card?) for the Blood Armour? You should also have that one...

The tree other items, you've mentioned should be OK.

In this thread, there is some good advice, too:

http://daforums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=702633&forum=135&sp=45
(please have a look at coenjan's post)

Oh, and Mad, do you have The Warden's Keep installed before you applied the patch i.e. did it get through OK in the dowloading part of it?

Urza's post in this thread might also help you (and others)

http://daforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=702572&forum=146

Just for good measure Chris Priestly from Bioware have made a sticky thread about understanding DLC etc.

http://daforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=702633&forum=135

This thread made by member of the Bioware Community could be helpfull, too

http://daforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=703059&forum=146

From what I've seen there seems to a problem with the Warden's Keep DLC. People are not getting it, or having trouble redeeming the (free) promo code.
[Doesn't help that the social site is down for the moment either...] After the patch people can't get their DLC back either, or get Warden's Keep.

From the sounds and looks of it, Bioware people are running around being very confused as to why this is happening - didn't think the game would be this popular now, did they?

I hope some of my suggestions will be helpfull smile

Re: Dragon Age - 11/07/09 03:06 AM

Hi Karsten smile

Thank you for all that "research".
If any of it solves my problems I'll certainly come back here and let you know thumbsup

I am running Dragon Age in WinXP - but what is a "CE" version of the game ??
[Showing my ignorance again !! blush ]

I've never experienced such problems with previous RPGs .... My more usual one is getting slaughtered in fights lol

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Mad yes
Posted By: gremlin

Re: Dragon Age - 11/07/09 01:00 PM

CE = collectors edition.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/07/09 01:16 PM

Hi Mad smile

I just meant if you had the Collector's Edition of the game? As I remember it, pre-ordering the Collector's Edition did give you these three (free promo) items? [I may, of course, remember wrongly?]

Did your game come with a cloth map?

As I see it, Bioware (or more possibly EA) have brought this on themselves buy tying different items to different pre-orders?

And by tying the Warden's Keep to any digital distribution (or just the Digital Deluxe Edition of the game? ) they have a great deal of confusion.

It also seems to me that that Bioware (and EA) did not anticipate the popularity of this game (in my local gamestop is is # 4 item sold); they were not expecting, probably, their servers to be hit as hard, as they did.

Oh, well, maybe by the time Mass Effect rolls around around January 26th, the social site will function somewhat OK?

I also looked at the box, very confusing it is, I think. No where is the words 'rpg' to be seen, the text of the back describes it as some kind of action game? where you (as the hero?) unite the lands, fight the good fight against the evil force that has invanded the land etc.

If I did not know what this game was about, I would assume that I was about to play a game in which I would be the hero (no mention of party based either) that solely unites the land without any help...

And the text for system requirements are very very small, even for normal eyes...

On a more aesthetic level, I don't like the dragon that's on the front of the box. It just looks like a generic game, not the epic, dark, partybased fantasy game that it is...

Ok, I'll end my rant now...

PS:
In a thread over at the Bioware forums, it was suggested that you could move by clicking both the LMB and RMB mouse button at the same time...

Edit:

There seems to be a problem with the patch having a conflict with the MS C++ 2005 redist. package. If you think you have this problem, please head here to read ToddMcFF2002's post: (link to solution in post)

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1060981887#post1060981887

Re: Dragon Age - 11/07/09 03:30 PM

Hmmmmm......I wonder what happened to mine???

Re: Dragon Age - 11/07/09 05:40 PM

Got mine in a day from Interact and fired it up last night. I played for about a half hour and have to say I'm not thrilled with the controls. I like to change camera angle with the mouse and use the WASD keys for movement. I didn't see a way to change this in the in-game options. I guess I'll get used to it...

Re: Dragon Age - 11/07/09 10:06 PM

Hi all smile

First, to let you know by way of RPGWatch that Fernado Melo, a Bioware dev has posted a lengthy letter to the community explaining about the issues - and apologizing for the problems people are having both with the dlc and the (new) social site. Apparantly, they took Spore's numbers and doubled it! - and for the DLC there was an issue with (some) Windows Service, I think

Anyway, here's a snip from the post:

Fernado Melo wrote:

Quote:
Despite our best planning for the launch of a single player game of this magnitude we have to admit we clearly underestimated the desire for players to want to play connected, their pleasure at sharing their stories on the BioWare Social Site, and the overall level of interest in the launch DLC (downloadable content).

Here's Fernando's reflective thoughts on the whole thing:

Quote:
Know that we are continuing to monitor your feedback here on the forums, as well as throughout EA’s support network, including FAQ usage, email and phone calls – there is actually a significant number of BioWare and EA staff lurking through the various forums on social site, our previous forums and EA support sites with the sole purpose of capturing this feedback. Those issues are collated and prioritized on an on-going basis and already being planned against a roll out game feature updates and fixes, which we'll continue to do as needed.

This is customer service like we used to get in the olden days!
A company acknowledging a problem, communicating about it, and fixing it.

---

Those of you that have problems with the controls for movement might want to check out this thread; please have a look at mithent's post:

http://daforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=704644&forum=135&highlight=

There are apparently three ways to move in DA: Origins - or rather make your characters move wink

1) using the wsad keys
2) leftclick the character(s), then use the RMB to tell them where to go
3) drive the characters MMO-style by holding the RMB and LMB down at the same time and use the mouse to move the character(s) forward.

/Karsten

Re: Dragon Age - 11/07/09 10:10 PM

Thanks Karsten, it's is great that they are listening and responding and trying to make it right. wave

Re: Dragon Age - 11/07/09 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
Got mine in a day from Interact and fired it up last night. I played for about a half hour and have to say I'm not thrilled with the controls. I like to change camera angle with the mouse and use the WASD keys for movement. I didn't see a way to change this in the in-game options. I guess I'll get used to it...

There is a way to do just that. You hold the right mouse down to rotate your camera angle and move with your keyboard. Took me a while to learn that but now I'm very happy with the controls.

I also like the way that you can adjust the camera view with the mouse wheel. I use behind the back view for exploring and overhead view for combat and it works really well for me.

I just got mine yesterday and really like the game. It is like an improved BG or NWN game.

I played through several character stories until I got to the Grey Warden and what I like about it is that every character starts off with their own separate stories and then all end up at the Grey Warden place.

I have the retail version and, so far have had no tech problems. Will not patch the game until I run into a problem or a patch comes out that adds some goodies or something.

I don't really understand the downloadable content stuff but when I clicked on it it wanted me to purchase some extra things so I don't know if that is an add on or what but I'm not ready to pay some more money for a download.

If you download the game rather than buying the disc version and the additional stuff was included in the downloaded version in order to encourage downloads I could see how that would be a good way to sell downloads but maybe I don't even know what I'm talking about.

Anyway I'm really enjoying the game as it is and hope it stays trouble free until the end.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/08/09 03:34 AM

I just meant if you had the Collector's Edition of the game? As I remember it, pre-ordering the Collector's Edition did give you these three (free promo) items? [I may, of course, remember wrongly?]

No, I don't have the "CE".
[Thank you for the translation, gremlin thumbsup]
But I did pre-order my version from Play.Com in the UK, if that makes any difference.

Did your game come with a cloth map?

No. It just came with the manual - and an advert for Mass Effect 2 bearing a code number for downloading Blood Armour.
But I now see that I can use this code to get the armour for Dragon Age woozy
Codes !! Codes !! Codes !!
[I've never experienced having to do so much on-line stuff to get a disk version of a game set up !!]

As I see it, Bioware (or more possibly EA) have brought this on themselves buy tying different items to different pre-orders?
And by tying the Warden's Keep to any digital distribution (or just the Digital Deluxe Edition of the game? ) they have a great deal of confusion.

Well maybe I have the Digital Deluxe Edition then (although it doesn't say that anywhere on the packaging) because the first time I installed the game I was given the Warden's Keep.

It also seems to me that that Bioware (and EA) did not anticipate the popularity of this game (in my local gamestop is is # 4 item sold); they were not expecting, probably, their servers to be hit as hard, as they did.
Oh, well, maybe by the time Mass Effect rolls around around January 26th, the social site will function somewhat OK?

Whether good sales were anticipated or not, in my opinion a comprehensible and easy to use system for all this downloading should have been in place and tested before the game was ever made available shame

Edit:

There seems to be a problem with the patch having a conflict with the MS C++ 2005 redist. package. If you think you have this problem, please head here to read ToddMcFF2002's post: (link to solution in post)

Thanks again grin I'll go take a peek.
But I've decided to uninstall the game and wait until this ridiculous downloading fiasco has been resolved.

I have three other RPGs and several Adventures not even started yet so I won't be without my BAAGS "fix" whilst I wait lol

Re: Dragon Age - 11/08/09 07:54 AM

Originally Posted By: oldman

There is a way to do just that. You hold the right mouse down to rotate your camera angle and move with your keyboard. Took me a while to learn that but now I'm very happy with the controls.

I'm with Draclvr on this. I realised from the start that you have to dpress the RMB, but I just hate that! It's such an unecessary strain on one's arm, and I've now switched my RMB and my LMB so that at least I can use my index finger for a bit less strain on the hand and arm. Though it's still a pain, and I really don't understand why it couldn't just have been automatic mouselook like with all other WASD games. Or at least they could have let it toggle.

Otherwise, I'm finding it to be a very cool game so far. I'd set "persistent blood" off right at the start, so there's not even that to bother me. The cutscenes are awesome, btw!

Re: Dragon Age - 11/08/09 11:42 AM

Hi Mad smile

I think you might have the UK Collector's Edition.
This version of the game comes in a regular plastic box, with no cloth map and the three items you've been given. [Did your game come in a tinbox...]

Or maybe first time, you installed the game, the servers mistook it for a Collector's Edition?

It seems you do have physical copy of the game?
[I think you need to buy the game via Steam or Impulse? to get the DDE?)

Glad you have other gamers to play, though smile

edit:

As for the DLC problems there's over at gamebanshee that mentions this and a solution:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/95705-dragon-age-origins-forum-activity.html

Re: Dragon Age - 11/08/09 09:20 PM

Hi again smile

I think you might have the UK Collector's Edition.
This version of the game comes in a regular plastic box, with no cloth map and the three items you've been given. [Did your game come in a tinbox...]

My version came in a plastic DVD case - as seems to be the norm these days when purchasing a game in the UK.

Or maybe first time, you installed the game, the servers mistook it for a Collector's Edition?

I don't actually understamd how that could happen - but then I don't understand much about techie stuff laugh

It seems you do have physical copy of the game?
[I think you need to buy the game via Steam or Impulse? to get the DDE?)

Glad you have other gamers to play, though

I don't know what "DDE" is woozy but I'm actually not into downloading whole games. Nor do I participate in "on-line" play.
I like to have a hard copy sitting on my shelf so I can re-play it 20 years from now, if I so desire.
And I do a LOT of that. I have many really old games that I still like to re-play ....
So yes, I have a disk version yes

Which brings into the question all this "downloading of special content".
I don't expect THAT will be available years from now.
For me, it should all be on the disk to begin with frown

edit:
As for the DLC problems there's over at gamebanshee that mentions this and a solution:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/95705-dragon-age-origins-forum-activity.html

Thanks. I'll go and look thumbsup

And thanks also, once again, for all your helpful replies !!

Cheers.

Mad wave

Re: Dragon Age - 11/09/09 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad
I like to have a hard copy sitting on my shelf so I can re-play it 20 years from now, if I so desire.

When prompted to download the DLC is there an option to save this somewhere (so you can reuse it at other times) or does it automatically install itself?

Haven't installed my copy yet as I am still playing Risen.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/09/09 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Rowan

When prompted to download the DLC is there an option to save this somewhere (so you can reuse it at other times) or does it automatically install itself?

Haven't installed my copy yet as I am still playing Risen.

I think I have seen a way to do this over at the Bioware forums or on the Bioware Social Network (BSN).

The good news is that the DLC is tied to your account, not your computer. (several devs. from Bioware have confirmed this).

This means that if you want to play DA: Origins again 2 or 3 years from now you can; the server? should remember your DLC (it is possible you'll need to log in again to get it back, though)

If you have your promo codes (cards for shale, blood armour, and the pre-order stuff) you can just log into the BSN to redeem them.

For the Warden's Keep (WK) DLC, there's a NPC in your camp, you'll need to talk to to get this DLC. Then after you talk to him - and accept the quest - if will get a line like Premium Content. When you click the Premium Content line, you get taken to the chekout counter, where you will need to buy Bioware Points. Luckily, you can buy points for exactly 7 US dollars=the amount you'll need to buy Warden's Keep.

Rumour has it that WK is about 1-2 hours long, depending on how muc you do in it.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/09/09 05:48 PM

Thanks Karsten! You've been a wealth of info on this game. wave

Re: Dragon Age - 11/09/09 07:20 PM

Yes !! A special thanks !! praise

Re: Dragon Age - 11/09/09 07:42 PM

Karsten-

I understand the end of #3m but could you explain the first part about MMO ??? and RMB ????, I am totally lost with that.

Thanks

maggie help think wave broccoli hardwall

Re: Dragon Age - 11/09/09 07:46 PM

Thank you, Karsten. thanks

Re: Dragon Age - 11/09/09 07:49 PM

Maggie, RMB = Right Mouse Button

MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online (like World of Warcraft) wave

Re: Dragon Age - 11/10/09 04:54 AM

L4L grin

Thanks so much, so many initals and I never get them right. But I do not play WOW, so what do I do for a single game????? help

maggie wave happydance yay

Re: Dragon Age - 11/10/09 08:58 AM

Maggie, you just don't log on to the server. You just play as a single player.

I never play online. You just play the game normally. Just click "play" and start by choosing your character. smile

Anyway, I've played a few of the "origins" by now, and I like the mage story best so far.

The Dalish Elf story was perhaps the most boring, but I got a nice Dalish Elf warrior that I'm continuing the story with.

I'm in that first town after Ostagar now.. - Lothering. Got my dog and my rogue, and had to choose..

What origins did the rest of you guys choose?

Re: Dragon Age - 11/10/09 04:03 PM

I picked a Dalish Elf too. Haven't had much time to play and am still getting used to the controls.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/10/09 05:22 PM

After playing through the Human, both elves, Dwarf commoner and Magi origins I finally chose to continue with the Dalish Elf. I chose a Rogue for my character. I have progressed past Lothering and now have in my party Allstair Morrigan and Elliana which is a Warrior Templer, Witch and Rogue/Bard.

My main character uses dual weapons while my female Rogue uses a bow and Morrigan has a lot of spells she can use.

Probably better parties around but I'm happy with my crew.

I also finally figured how to get a couple of freebies that came with the game. I downloaded the Blood Armor and a special mission. I don't like the fact that I ran into an NPC and in order to complete his mission I had to go on line and purchase the quest. When I buy a game I don't expect some of the quests to cost extra money by downloading them.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/10/09 06:51 PM

"When I buy a game I don't expect some of the quests to cost extra money by downloading them"

Me neither !!!! eek

Is it possible to not finish such a quest but just continue on and still finish the game ??

Re: Dragon Age - 11/10/09 07:25 PM

After shelling out $50 for this game, I guarantee I won't be paying extra for any quests.

Gotta love those Witcher developers who fixed stuff and gave us extras for no extra cost at all!

Re: Dragon Age - 11/10/09 07:41 PM

Thank you all for the kind words smile

First, let me assure that you can finish the game without ever visiting Warden's Keep. I've now confirmed that this quest is actually max. 2 hours long. (some say 45-90 min. long actually)
It sounds like you get a keep while you've done. You don't. The merchants you get + the storage chests ate out in the snow in front of the Keep.
[Warden's Keep is not necessary to finish the game].

Look please instead at the Bioware forums, both in the regular and in the Social Site forums. There are ways to add storage chests to your camp or to extend your inventory. As always, please do a bakup of your saved games before actually doing anything.

EDIT:

If you turn down the guy at camp (who is installed on your computer no matter what you do), thus refusing to do his quest, rumour has it that you will be seeing him again in camp where he just stands and stands. Personally, I don't like this way of selling stuff - it feels to much like peddling to me.

/Edit

As Looney4Labs explained the RMB=the right mouse button. In DA: Origins you can hold the right mouse button down to tell your guy where to move, drag a box around the party, then hold the right mouse button down to tell where to go.

You can, also, use press down both the left mouse and the right mouse button at the same time, then sort of push or drive the mouse forward to get your character(s) to move.

I think you'll need to leftclick on the little button that's to the right under each character?
Or maybe just click on the character's portrait?

There should be a way to actually invert the mouse use in this game so you use the left mouse button to tell your characters where to go.

MMMO=Massively Multiplayer Online game, as Looney explained, like World of Warcraft or Eve Online or Funcom's The Secret World or Myst Online.
(I think this game was called that?) It just means many people play the same game, talk to each other, decide to fight together, split the loot etc.

For a single player game, you don't log into Bioware's social site or their servers - unless you need to redeem a code for (free) DLC, register your game or download DLC.

If you just want to enjoy the game as is, just put the game disc in your DVD-drive, and away you go - to Ferelden - In Peace Vigilance - In War Victory - In Death Sacrifice -

Sorry, couldn't help myself...

(such it is when you don't have the game)

Re: Dragon Age - 11/10/09 10:31 PM

"Gotta love those Witcher developers who fixed stuff and gave us extras for no extra cost at all!"

I do so agree !!!! thumbsup

Posted By: Sherryah

Re: Dragon Age - 11/10/09 11:07 PM

This game sounds great! Are the graphics like Witcher? Is there a demo I can see before I buy? I want to join in the fun also. Can I digitally download the game? Thanks in advance whoever answers.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/11/09 12:08 AM

You can download the game digitally via

Steam
Impulse
Direct 2 Drive
EA Store
(maybe Gamer's Gate)

Getting the DDE=Digital Deluxe Edition of the game will get you Warden's Keep for free as well as all the other free stuff I've talked about.

As for graphics and visuals:

Big download has some screenshots for you to see:

http://www.bigdownload.com/galleries/dragon-age-origins/3105/84/

There's also some trailers here.

Both of these are age gated.

Gametrailers have some trailers where you can see the visuals and graphics of this game as well.

Personally, I find the graphics to be OK, not as great as The Witchers, but OK. Art direction in The Witcher really was great, in this game it is OK or just above OK.

As I see it, DA: Origins should not be played for its visual presentation, but for the story, not at least the 6 different origin stories.

Note please that Bioware have done so that those people who just enjoy the story can play on easy setting (there's a difficulty slider in the game's control options that you can alter at will anytime in the game). It can also be used for those who prefer a more run and gun type game, not at least in combat.

On a somewhat different, yet related note:
EA just announced (info from Kotaku and several other places) that they are laying of off 1500 people - be thankfull for DA's succes. Bioware seems to be safe - at least for now. [DA: Origins is the most downloaded game on Steam, it seems].

Re: Dragon Age - 11/11/09 12:17 AM

Thanks Karsten. I've gotta figure out where my game is puppy

Re: Dragon Age - 11/11/09 12:20 AM

Thank you so much for all that info. Is there a demo to make sure it will work with my computer? How big of a digital download is it?

Edit..........
Are the voices as good as Witcher? Does our main character talk or all the characters you meet talk? Do the enemies speak when they die like in Sacred 2?

EDIT...............AGAIN
OK I looked at the trailer and oh my gosh so much blood! Is there a way to turn off that much blood? I admit I don't like blood and gory movies I hide my eyes or take off my glasses when there is any bloody scene. I am interested in the game but not all that blood spewing forth. yuck
Is this all fighting or are there alot of different quests to do?

Re: Dragon Age - 11/11/09 02:52 AM

Thank you, Karsten, for even MORE info !! grin

Re: Dragon Age - 11/11/09 02:59 AM

Hi- grin

It looks like a great game, but arm cannot take all the moving, just too painfull, so I am giving up. Give me a point and click any day, good thing I have kept all the good ones.

Thanks

maggie cry wave thanks hardwall happydance

Re: Dragon Age - 11/11/09 04:04 AM

Is this just a fighting game? Or are there quests?
I agree with you Maggie I need point and click games also that is why I am hesitating buying this one. Also is there a way to turn off the blood and gore? Thanks in advance whoever answers these questions.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/11/09 04:59 AM

So far I haven't seen much blood and gore. I've killed a bunch of yucky huge spiders and some darkspawn guys that look like orcs, but I haven't seen any blood and gore. I will check in the game options to see if there is a setting for that.

I'm finally getting used to the controls. I can move my Dalish Elf forward with the W key and am getting better at using the A and D keys to change the camera angle. Sure don't like it as much as using the mouse to change the camera - it's not nearly as accurate.

The story so far is pretty good.

Maggie, I'm not doing any moving of my arm at all. But then then I use a gamepad instead of the keyboard which is a huge pain. It's made for typing, not for gaming!

EDIT: Sherryah, I just checked and lo and behold there is a selection in the Options menu to enable or disable "persistent gore."

Re: Dragon Age - 11/11/09 08:10 AM

Drac-

I am having so much problem because it is my right arm and that is where I have pain and all.
If I could find a gamepad that does not cost an arm and a leg I would like to keeo the game, I so wanted it to work like The Witcher. I have had several game pads and gave them away as they did not work good for me. Would appreciate any help in that area.

Thanks

maggie help wave duh

Re: Dragon Age - 11/11/09 08:35 AM

Maggie I use a Merc Stealth Game Keyboard and I really like it. You use your left hand to control the wasd keys keeping your right hand on the mouse.

You can read about them here and/or here. (The second site has a good closeup of the game controls of the keyboard.)

I really like mine and I bought it at Best Buy so they're available at retail stores.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/11/09 09:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Sherryah
Is this just a fighting game? Or are there quests?
I agree with you Maggie I need point and click games also that is why I am hesitating buying this one. Also is there a way to turn off the blood and gore? Thanks in advance whoever answers these questions.

This is not just a fighting game? [even if the marketing seem to think it is, at one point the head honcho of EA saud that it was game 'about dragons' - DA: Origins that is - we all had a good laugh that summer...]

There are quests to do in this game, you can control up to 4 characters in your party, you need to keep them happy, or else - they'll leave you for good. The game has 6 Origin Stories for you to choose from, and they will have some (small or big) impact on the rest of the story. Based on feedback from the forums at Bioware, it seems they've made a dating simulator, since you'll need to appease your characters liking of you with gifts or glib of mouth - or something else wink.

The quests generally seem to be well written (again based on info from the forums) and don't have a black or white character to them. Something the choices you'll have to do seems difficult and hard. Sometimes you can do quests multiple ways. As said, for those who just want to enjoy the story there's the easy option which makes combat somewhat easier.

Maggie, can you confirm that you can use the right mouse button to point & click to where your characters go?

It says in the manual you can but based on info from the forums at Biioware, I'm beginning to doubt the validity of this statement? I thought it would be like Baldur's Gate where you just clicked on a characters portrait (or the little ring under them) and then they moved...happily smile to where you wanted them to move. [There's a post over at the Bioware forums that deals with the controls, I'll try to see if I can find it...]

Now, it seems like Bioware added this as an afterthought - since it were a great wish by many community members. And you can move with the wsad keys using your left arm. Takes a while to get used to doing, but I got used to it playing Oblivion - is it impossible for you to use the mouse with your left arm?

You can turn OFF persistent gore - that is the blood that stays on you after the fights I think?

There's a story reason behind all this blood; you'll discover it, while playing the game.

The marketing of this game has made it so that people might think there's more blood that there actually is. Just a way to get attention...

And it has worked:

Steam is now reporting that DA: Origins is the most downloaded(bought) game of this week; and I saw on another website that DA: Origins now is # 4 in the Top 10 Sales chart of the Week. This means, I hope, Bioware is safe from letting people go ---- in reference to EA laying OFF 1500 people...

/Karsten

Re: Dragon Age - 11/11/09 10:27 AM

Thanks Karstan and Draclvr for all your info. I watched a video of the programmers talking about how you cut off the heads of the enemy, and the entire focus of the video was nothing but blood and combat so it turned me off of the game. Now that I know there are quests to do and you can turn off the blood it makes me feel better.

Is there anywhere to get a demo of the game? Do you think they will release a demo if not?

Witcher enhanced and Sacred 2 are great games and I am looking for something up to that level of greatness or more.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/11/09 10:49 AM

I don't understand. You can play this game exactly like any other point and click. You can also play it with WASD if you so choose.

To make your entire party move with with point and click: First make sure that the little "run" icon under their portraits is active and not the "hand" icon, which makes them stand still while only the main charcter moves.
With your "run" icon enabled, click on the portrait of your character that you want to run in front, and then click on the ground where you want your party to run. You don't have to click the portrait all the time, though. Once the leader is selected, you can simply keep clicking on the ground, and they will go there. It's just like Witcher and NWN2. It's as easy as that.

Of course, I personally prefer WASD, so at the beginning of the game, I used to hold my Right mouse button depressed to give me free-look camera panning while I run along depressing W, but I found RMB a strain, and have changed my mouse buttons around in the Options menu, so now I depress LMB for the free-look camera.

Anyway, I just want to say that I'm finding the graphics in this game beautiful. Both the backgrounds and the character models are very nicely done. The cutscenes really look good, and the animations are excellent.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/11/09 10:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Sherryah
Thanks Karstan and Draclvr for all your info. I watched a video of the programmers talking about how you cut off the heads of the enemy, and the entire focus of the video was nothing but blood and combat so it turned me off of the game. Now that I know there are quests to do and you can turn off the blood it makes me feel better.

Is there anywhere to get a demo of the game? Do you think they will release a demo if not?

Witcher enhanced and Sacred 2 are great games and I am looking for something up to that level of greatness or more.

Hi Sherryah smile

I don't think Bioware (and EA) are going to release a demo of this game, sorry frown But you can go to giantbomb and watch two guys play the Xbox 360 version of the game. On the Bioware Dragon Age site there's info on characters as well; you can also view some (or all of the released) videos related to the game there. Game trailers should have them all, I think..

Once again, the marketing for this game has made people think it's an action game.
It it not, you get quests to do, you level up...and so on...

Hint:
Try to use cold damage in the game - when fighting enemies...

Re: Dragon Age - 11/11/09 10:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Karsten
[quote=Sherryah] But you can go to giantbomb and watch two guys play the Xbox 360 version of the game.

Just keep in mind, though, that the console versions (especially Xbox360) don't look half as good as the PC version, as is the case with most of your next-gem games these days.
Posted By: Debra

Re: Dragon Age - 11/11/09 05:01 PM

I have a game specs question. Is anyone playing the game with Vista and 2GB RAM instead of the 4GB they recommend? If so, is the game running OK?
I'm using a laptop so I can't upgrade the RAM on it. I don't want to buy the game if it won't play worth a hoot.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/11/09 06:34 PM

Karsten-

It can be done, but they move very stiffly and slow. Last night I clicked on both at the same time and that is when it happens. I do not know what I am doing wrong to do this. You could never fight in this, if so you would be dead every time, but my character and her brother are still in the Castle, it is so funny it is laughable. I know there is nothing wrong with my game, I hope the company reads this, as maybe they can come out with a patch for it.

Oldman=

Thanks so much I will look at that, you say it plays good. Do I take my keyboard off my computer then or do I use the pad and keyboard at the sametime, I could never do that. Thanks again

maggie help wave think smashpc

Hi-

I just purchased the Merc Stealth, got it from Dell as the one at Best Buy they wanted $89.00 for it and this one looks grand and with a mouse and headset.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/11/09 08:00 PM

Maggie I hope you're happy with your new keyboard. I know I am. It takes some getting used to but once it becomes comfortable to your left hand it is really great.

Hope this helps you play keyboard games.

What I did was wander around and explore in a safe zone for a while until I got used to the controls.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/11/09 08:34 PM

Hi Maggie smile

Over at the Bioware forums a dev. said that you needed to leftclick on the icon under the characters that says run; the characters will then run. And hopefully, not move as slowly and stiffly..

You do not need to click on the portraits. You can drag a box around the characters, us the right mouse button to click and point to where you characters need to go. (as least that's what's in the manual).

I hope, you'll be happy with your new gamer keyboard as well. The next time I'm getting a new keyboard, I will be getting a gamer keyboard, too.
[I've always found it weird that the arrow keys were in the right site of the keyboard]

@ Debra

I think you'll do fine with 2 GB of RAM. The big challenge seems to be processor and the graphics card. I've seen people mentioning they're playing with a single core p 4 2.4 Ghz and a 7900 (GS) card and 2 GB of RAM.

/Karsten

EDIT:

In this thread at quater to three

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?p=1964558#post1964558

there's someone (Malkav11)having troube with a slider puzzle (the torch puzzle in same area where you get Shale).
I just thought it could be sort of cool and neat if any adventuregamers here could help these people out smile - provided of course that you've solved this puzzle. Just to prove, you know, that adventure game(r)s still exist...

/Karsten
Posted By: anne2

Re: Dragon Age - 11/11/09 09:09 PM

Karsten, started playing the game yesterday, as an elf mage, its a lot of fun and beautifully done. Your links and all the info have been so useful, thank you, but why are you not playing the game?

wave

Re: Dragon Age - 11/11/09 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: anne2
Karsten, started playing the game yesterday, as an elf mage, its a lot of fun and beautifully done. Your links and all the info have been so useful, thank you, but why are you not playing the game?

wave

Sadly, I can't afford to buy the game right now - as I recently lost my job frown

I then decided to help others enjoy the game smile

Hopefully, at a later time, I can afford the game...

Re: Dragon Age - 11/11/09 11:31 PM

Thank you Karsten for the info on the game and running it with the 2GB under Vista. I've got the dual core and the OK Nvidia card. I wish you luck on finding a new job.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/12/09 12:47 AM

Karsten and Oldman- grin

Since my right hand is the hand I use for almost everything, is it difficult to use the left? I am looking forward to getting my Merc, got it for # 39.00 plus shipping, I thought some places wanted way too much money. Thanks so much for both of your help. Do not be surprised if I ask for more.

Hugs to both

maggie think wave yay thanks

Re: Dragon Age - 11/12/09 02:31 AM

What a steal, Maggie! I'm a total rightie also, but it was easy to get used to the left controls. What I like about my gamepad is that I no longer get wrist and hand fatigue. I rest my left hand on the gamepad (as you will on the gamepad part of your Merc) and I don't have to do any twisting or lifting or anything. It will definitely take a little getting used to, but once your brain figures it out, you will love it.

What about trying it out on a game you're familiar with like The Witcher?

Re: Dragon Age - 11/12/09 05:51 AM

Drac- grin

What a brain you have, I never thought of that and I have The Witcher on so as soon as it arrives, should be 3 to 5 days I will do that. Thanks ever so much for that advice, it sure is good and I have played The Witcher about six times with my right hand, when I get the Merc I shall use my left hand. It comes with a mouse and earphones, I take it you are suggesting using just my left hand and getting use to it????

maggie think wave yay catrub

Re: Dragon Age - 11/12/09 06:58 AM

Hi Maggie, I wrote a little description for you yesterday, on how to use the point and click: -did you not see it? Here it is again:

To make your entire party move with with point and click: First make sure that the little "run" icon under their portraits is active and not the "hand" icon, which makes them stand still while only the main charcter moves.

With your "run" icon enabled, click on the portrait of your character that you want to run in front, and then click on the ground where you want your party to run. You don't have to click the portrait all the time, though. Once the leader is selected, you can simply keep clicking on the ground, and they will all go there. It's just like Witcher and NWN2. It's as easy as that.

I specially opened The Witcher yesterday, (just for you wink ) since I know you've played it, and I checked out the point-and-click mode there, and it's really quite similar to the movement in Dragon Age. The DA moving system is quite similar to NWN 2, if you've played it.

You could drag your mouse around the characters themselves to select them, as has been suggested, but your people are sometimes spaced far apart, and then you need to use that little Left-hand icon under your character portraits.

Have a look in your manual, it is numbered (8) there. That icon makes that you can select either only one person, or your entire party.

The little icon next to it, (9) makes them either run with the main person, even if you don't have then all selected, or stand in place, while only the selected person moves.

Knowing how this works, becomes more important during combat, when you have a full party with some of them using ranged attacks, so you can put the rangers at the back, and make them stay there and shoot from far away, while your melee fighters run forwards to engage the enemey. smile

If your movement is still slow and stiff, even with your gamepad, there is a possibility that your computer is not up to the game's requirement... -could that be possible?

To Sherayaha: The game really is not all that gory if you switch off persistent gore, especially since you don't see the blood from close up. The worst is that creatures that you have already killed, tend to bleed a bit while lying on the ground. I had found Risen and Fallout 3 to be rather more gory actually, I guess because I'm playing with "persistent gore" set off. As I had said in a previous post, the game really is rather nice-looking; (if your PC is up to running it on high specs) - I wish I could post you a screenshot.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/12/09 07:03 AM

Not quite, Maggie. What I like to use is left hand (mostly W) for forward movement and the mouse for changing the camera angle or some call it panning. Simply put, W makes Geralt move forward and simply moving your mouse left and right changes his direction. No clicking is involved until he is fighting. Then you use the left click for the fighting maneuvers.

It became very "second nature" to me within about an hour of gameplay. And no fatigue on either hand or wrist...

Re: Dragon Age - 11/12/09 07:07 AM

Draclvr and Oldman: With these gamepads you are using, does one still have to depress the RMB for camera panning in DA? ..or does it switch to normal mouselook like in the Witcher or Oblivion?

If so, I might be interested in one for myself... ;D

Re: Dragon Age - 11/12/09 08:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Moondancer
Draclvr and Oldman: With these gamepads you are using, does one still have to depress the RMB for camera panning in DA? ..or does it switch to normal mouselook like in the Witcher or Oblivion?

If so, I might be interested in one for myself... ;D

In DA you still have to depress the RMB to pan with your mouse. However, you can turn the camera left or right with the keyboard but you need the mouse (with RMB depressed) to pan up and down. Don't know about the gamepad though.

What I like about the Merc Stealth is that all the normal commands besides the WASD keys are within reach of the fingers of your left hand. Like Jump, walk, duck, C key, tab, and all the numbers for quick slots.

It made games like TR Underworld playable for me.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/12/09 08:25 AM

Thanks, Oldman. I do have a very nice 360-type controller for my PC, with which I could play games like TR or POP; but maybe I should make it known amongst my family members, that I'd really like such a gamepad like yours as an Xmas gift. grin

Then I'll be nicely set up for any game, hopefully, eh? cool

PS. I'm also waiting with bated breath for Divinity 2..

Re: Dragon Age - 11/12/09 03:06 PM

No, Moondancer, I'm not pressing any of the mouse buttons to move forward with the W key. I can change the camera angle/pan with the A and D keys while I'm moving forward. I'm not using the mouse for any movement, just the RMB for interacting with objects and the LMB for attacks.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/12/09 06:32 PM

Hi Karsten, so sorry to hear that, hope you find a new job soon, will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Am certain everyone really appreciates the help you give us with games, and especially with Dragon Age, it being so large and detailed.

wave

Re: Dragon Age - 11/12/09 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: anne2
Hi Karsten, so sorry to hear that, hope you find a new job soon, will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Am certain everyone really appreciates the help you give us with games, and especially with Dragon Age, it being so large and detailed.

wave

Thank you Anne 2 and Debra for your empathy - much needed. I hope I'll find a job soon, too.

Will continue to cover DA: Origins smile

Re: Dragon Age - 11/12/09 08:07 PM

Moondancer- smile

Thanks for all the information, I sure will use it. Yes, I am going to try my Merc on The Witcher first, I look forward to that. You are a weath of knowledge and I thank you for that,

Drac- grin happydance

Thanks so much, I am really keen to use it now, I think it will be difficult at first with my left hand, but I am sure I will get it done. When I am comfortable with that I will start Dragon Age again.

Thanks so much both of you.

Maggie wave thumbsup yay thanks

Re: Dragon Age - 11/12/09 09:38 PM

For anyone interested I've found a walkthrough for the main quests here. It looks like the side quests will be posted sometime in the future.

Moondancer:

Last time I checked the anticipated date for the English version of Divinity 2 was late December. Since the German version is already being played maybe they'll meet the projected date for the English version.
One can only hope.

Posted By: Tracy

Re: Dragon Age - 11/13/09 05:38 AM

Hi everyone. I was checking out Dragon Age the other day and am thinking of getting it, but the digital version that includes the DLC, was like 64 dollars. The regular was 49....so I'm wondering if anyone knows if we can buy that extra content later if we've bought the regular version, or in order to have the extra stuff do we have to download the digital version?

Thanks for your help!
Cat smile

Re: Dragon Age - 11/13/09 06:46 AM

Hi catbelly, sure you can buy the extra content later, or not at all, if you wish - it's not essential to the main story in the game. Yes, you can just add it to whatever you bought as a hard copy. I bought the standard edition as a hard copy, and got some extra DLC with it because it was a pre-order. Whether you buy the hardcopy or a download, there will be a tab that you can click for DLC.
One simply has to create an account with them, and you're ready to download whatever extra content you require.

Sorry to hear about your bad break, Karsten, I hope you get a job again soon, and I hope you either get Dragon Age for Christmas, and/or that the price of it comes down soon. smile

Phew! This game sure is expensive!

Good luck with your new gamepad, Maggie, I hope it helps with your sore arm. happydance

Thanks for the info, Draclvr and Oldman! wave

Re: Dragon Age - 11/13/09 02:40 PM

I bought my copy of DA on Wednesday (I didn't preorder the game) and it had been reduced to $39 already and had two downloadable items- The Stone Prisoner and the Dragon Blood armor in it. So, you can get some DLC and a lowered price. What a deal!
BTW, I bought it from Game Stop.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/13/09 05:11 PM

That's a good deal Debra, I need to check my email and see if I can figure out where I ordered this from? Hmmmm........
Posted By: Tracy

Re: Dragon Age - 11/13/09 05:44 PM

Thanks Moondancer! Also thanks Debra---maybe I can grab a less expensive one at Gamestop too. smile

Cat

Re: Dragon Age - 11/13/09 10:47 PM

Thank you everyone for your kind words - and your empathy - much neede it is smile

As for the download, the digital deluxe download version contains all that will be in the game, including Shale( The Stone Prisoner)and Warden's Keep. It also included the Blood Armour (which you also can use in Mass Effect 2, the code for it, not the armour wink ). The soundtrack should be in there, too, I think?

The only extras that come with the retail version of the Collector's Version of the game is a cloth map, and a making of DVD.

You can just buy the normal version of the game, and then pay 7 US dollars for Warden's Keep...

Re: Dragon Age - 11/14/09 04:13 AM

Has anyone done the quest where you are to activate the golem (The Stone Prisoner)? I need help with the puzzle in the basement. Does anyone know of a online strategy guide that would cover the solution?

Re: Dragon Age - 11/14/09 04:59 PM

Debra, Oldman found one Here and I found one Here.

Perhaps one or both will help?

Re: Dragon Age - 11/15/09 01:56 AM

Thanks so much for the guides. I figured out the puzzle. I guess I was too tired last night. It really wasn't very hard after all.
I like this game so much I'm not even playing WoW and that's saying something.
I'm trying out another race because I'm just not getting how to play the rogue very well. It seems you can't stealth once an enemy has been sited however far away. I'll keep working on the rogue, but for now I'm trying the Dwalish elf warrior/ranger class.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/15/09 02:22 AM

Great Debra, I'm glad you figured it out. I thought I pre-ordered this but I can't find my receipt and I don't have the game, so ....... lol

Re: Dragon Age - 11/15/09 03:48 AM

Hi-

I understand that Prima has made a Strategy Guide for the game, they sent me an email the other day. Just in case someone wants to know.

Maggie wave catrub fall

Re: Dragon Age - 11/16/09 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Debra
Has anyone done the quest where you are to activate the golem (The Stone Prisoner)? I need help with the puzzle in the basement. Does anyone know of a online strategy guide that would cover the solution?

Debra how do you start this quest? I have downloaded both Blood Armor and Stone Prisoner but can't figure out where to go to get the Golem.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/17/09 04:17 AM

Karsten- grin

I recieved my Merc today. My husband put it and the mouse on, I loaded the software. I then found the user guide and printed it all out, 19 pages. You know the numbers to the right, I cannot get them to work, I am use to the number pad, it is probably in the user guide I am thinking??? I must say I love this Merc, even if I never get the hang of it. When I went to use the wasd red buttons on the left, it turned my game off, I was playing space hack.
Anyway, I am going to read through all 19 pages and see what I can come up with.

maggie think wave tomato turkey

Re: Dragon Age - 11/17/09 06:52 AM

Debra how do you start this quest? I have downloaded both Blood Armor and Stone Prisoner but can't figure out where to go to get the Golem.

Go to
Click to reveal..
Sulcher's Pass
. wink

Re: Dragon Age - 11/17/09 07:38 AM

Thanks Moondancer, was also wondering about that. Love your morning posts, there is always something interesting.

wave

Re: Dragon Age - 11/17/09 09:04 AM

Thank you Moondancer. I'll be checking it out when I finish my current quest.

Maggie:

Above the numbers on your right keypad there is a "Num Lock" which has to be on in order for you to use the numbers. When it's on there will be a light above it.

When you get used it I'm sure you will like it.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/17/09 04:30 PM

Oldman- grin

I have the number lock on,but I still cannot use the numbers to the right.. I read the entire booklet and it did not tell me how. What order does it have to be???
Thanks

Maggie think hardwall wave

Re: Dragon Age - 11/17/09 06:03 PM

Hi Maggie smile

I'm glad you received your Merc keyboard and the mouse.

Did you connect it ? If they're wireless, there should be a wireless receiver with it?

When I press the 'numlock key' to the right on my keyboard, the led light to the right in the wireless reciever light up.

Hope you get to play Dragon Age soon smile

Re: Dragon Age - 11/18/09 12:52 AM

Hi Karsten- grin happydance

No, it is not wireless and I am glad I recieved it too. But I sure would like to use the numbers to the right. I have number lock lit, but I still cannot use it, I can use the ones to the left above the wasd keys and the ones above the keyboard. It is connected.
Karsten, how is the job hunt going? Anything we here can do. I feel so bad for you, I know what it is like and so does my husband. Keep the faith and I will pray for you.

maggie help wave fall

Re: Dragon Age - 11/18/09 02:10 AM

Maggie, can you use the numbers on the right in a document, not a game? I can't use the number keypad on the right in games either on my regular keyboard. However, I wouldn't want to as that would require that I lift my hand from the mouse and lose valuable time in a battle if I needed to equip something assigned to a quick-slot. I use the numbers on the left gaming keypad.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/18/09 03:33 AM

Drac-

I just tried in my office to write a letter and no I cannot get the keypad to work. I do not know why it does not. I may have to uninstall it again.
It is the only thing I can think of. I can use the numbers on the left, but I want to also use the ones on the right for typing and I cannot.

maggie think wave yay

Re: Dragon Age - 11/18/09 04:10 AM

Hmmmm.... I assume you mean by uninstalling that it did come with a driver CD?

You also might take a peek in your Device Manager to see if there are any yellow alerts there that the device drivers aren't installed properly. Start, Computer,System Properties, Device Manager... Take a look at your keyboard entry.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/18/09 07:12 AM

Drac- grin

Okey, will reinstall it and take a peek. Will not be able to do it till Wednesday late afternoon.

Thanks so much for your help. Yes, the cd, which I uninstalled, but will put back on.

maggie wave yay smashpc

Re: Dragon Age - 11/19/09 10:31 AM

Originally Posted By: maggie57
Hi Karsten- grin happydance

No, it is not wireless and I am glad I recieved it too. But I sure would like to use the numbers to the right. I have number lock lit, but I still cannot use it, I can use the ones to the left above the wasd keys and the ones above the keyboard. It is connected.
Karsten, how is the job hunt going? Anything we here can do. I feel so bad for you, I know what it is like and so does my husband. Keep the faith and I will pray for you.

maggie help wave fall

Hi Maggie smile

Good to hear that the your keyboard is connected; hope you get it to work the way want it do soon smile

Maggie, thank you so much for asking into how the job hunts going smile Thanks your for empathy, too - means a lot to me. Just knowing that people think about - and are praying for me - is helping a lot smile You do what you've been doing - encouraging me to keep faith, praying...

As for right now, I've been lucky to get some temp work at a school; I'm hoping this pays off so I'm can get a full schedule, to january maybe, or sometime durinmg the spring next year. I'm focusing my energy into getting this job.

As for Dragon: Origins (to keep it on topic a bit); I'm somewhat happy smile that I didn't get it at release. There have been reports about broken quests, bugged quests, people not getting their dlcs, their redeemed codes not working. So I've decided to wait a bit - hopefully, the game will be patched by then so that it works better...

Re: Dragon Age - 11/19/09 11:58 AM

Good luck with that job, Karsten. I hope you get something more permanent, and you just hang in there. smile

Re DA, I'd be interested to know which quests have been reported broken?

I'm about 3/4 through the game, and haven't noticed anything untoward yet. The only DLC I downloaded was Shale, though.

I've so far done Lothering, Redcliffe, The Mages Tower, Brecilian forests and a few sidequests, also just entered Ozammar to peek. smile

Re: Dragon Age - 11/19/09 01:32 PM

I think it mainly is the quest to get Shale and the other DLC quest or DLC items that have been reported broken. People also seem to be having troubles with quests involving Leliana and other NPC members of the party.

I have an intuivtive feeling that it mainly is the peole who (legally) downloaded the game that are having these problems. The retail version seems fine.

It could also be that some people maybe are playing a pirated version of the game? (bad bad - very bad :naughty) or that they consider a gameplay element or a story element a bug?

People playing this game can't have it both ways, they need to make some tough choices like who to support in Dwarfen Politics. And from what I understand, Bioware made this choice a choice between the plague and cholera i.e. both are somewhat and both are somewhat good...

Re the job thing, thank you for your support and your empathy. I hope I get something more permanent, too smile

Re: Dragon Age - 11/19/09 07:17 PM

Karsten- smile happydance

Dell, who I bought the Merc from is picking it up, they say their is a problem with it. Spent some time on the phone with them yesteday, the red keys to the left kept turning games off. I am getting another keyboard, not a gamepad. My mouse is about shot, I have three, but it looks like I have to go over to Best Buy since we have one in the neighborhood. Wanted to let you know what was going on. I guess I am not a gamepad person, or I may buy still just the gamepad, as an extra.
I have my fingers crossed for you on a job Karsten a full-time would be great. Let us know, we care and are not just being nosey.

maggie thumbsup catrub wave

Re: Dragon Age - 11/19/09 08:04 PM

Ah, maggie, I had a feeling there was something wrong with the keyboard. My extra gamepad to the left of my keyboard has been a life-saver for me in my gaming!

Re: Dragon Age - 11/19/09 08:28 PM

Drac- grin

I want to buy one of those small gamepads with big keys, do you recommend any? I need the big keys for my older eyes< I am 62 and not getting younger rotfl rotfl What are you using?

maggie think yay wave
Posted By: Pokey

Re: Dragon Age - 11/19/09 08:49 PM

I am about to install this game and am wondering about the DLC. I bought the retail copy and have Blood Dragon Armor and Stone Prisoner available for free. How large are these files? I have a slow connection and don't want to get caught up in a large download. I really hesitate to get any of the DLC unless it is worth it. Is the Blood Dragon Armor great? Is there much to the Stone Prisoner?

Re: Dragon Age - 11/19/09 09:03 PM

Maggie, I'm going to point you to one of the Hobbit threads where I posted a link. Scroll about halfway down.

Cyber Snipa Link

Yuppers, at 62, I certainly need those big keys too!

Re: Dragon Age - 11/19/09 09:07 PM

As I understand you just need to redeem your code from the DA: Origins site (under your profile, there's a menu point saying 'redeem code'). Just be sure to log into the game with the same account you've used when loggin into your Bioware (EA) account.

The nice thing about this is that you can play the game (I think?) when the DLC is downloading.

The Blood Armour is, as I understand is, very nice smile It is indeed one of the best armour in the game, and the very best thing is that anyone in your party can wear as long as they have the strength requirement. The bad thing is that it requires 38 strength, I think?, to wear.

The quest to quest the Stone Prisoner (Shale) is sort of short, I've gathered from people at the Bioware Social Site. However, this is not the whole deal. Shale has a (great) personal quest as well as banter (talk and dialogue) with and some other things to be revealed during the game.

Thank you for crossing fingers and caring - It means a lot to me - I know it is because you care smile Thanks again.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/20/09 12:14 AM

Thanks, Karsten. Sounds like both might be worth downloading then.

Edit...I have the Stone Prisoner redeemed and it seems to be downloading. Blood Dragon Armor is not showing on the available list though Warden's Keep showed up for purchase.

I have Blood Dragon Armor now. Just needed to look in the right place.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/20/09 02:18 AM

I just finished the section of the game called "The Fade". One word of advice - walkthru. Very confusing and a lot of it to go through.
Also, I wish Bioware had not made the females walk like Brutus in Popeye. It's just off putting.
I love not having to deal with respawn an having a pause button. (Been playing World of Warcraft too long :)) I love the story. It draws you in. I've been teary eyed a couple of times. Great writing!
Well, I'm gonna quit for tonight. Anyone have any first impressions?

Re: Dragon Age - 11/20/09 04:57 AM

Drac- grin happydance

Yes, that is what I am looking for and I found one on their space for $39.00, I went to gogamer first but they are out of all of them, but their price is better.

Thanks so much

maggie think wave

Re: Dragon Age - 11/20/09 11:40 AM

From RPGWatch comes news of new DLC 'Return to Ostagar' - link below:

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9199

You'll get a second chance to get Dog as well as learn something about the politcal musings in Ferelden.

The DLC is (very short), about an hour, it seems, or even 15-30 minutes, if you speedrun.

Bioware ask 5 US dollars for this which you see here

http://dragonage.bioware.com/addon/

Personally, I don't plan to get this as a download...

Re: Dragon Age - 11/20/09 01:48 PM

I bought the retail version, and my Stone Prisoner took a mere few seconds to redeem and download. smile..and it's certainly been worth it!

Since I wanted to get to know all my companions first, I didn't bother with doing The Stone Prisoner quest early on in the game, but it's been an interesting distraction to go and fetch him, and his banter with the party members certainly is a hoot! So, yes, -worth working on.

Debra, I did the Fade (do you mean the Mage's Circle quest?) without a walkthrough, but I admit the maze aspect was pretty frustrating.

What was extremely fun though,
Click to reveal..
was the shapechanging. I just loved the burning man! laugh

Thanks for the feedback, Karsten, I have not done the Dwarf City yet, that is my next stop in the game. So I'm crossing fingers I won't have any problems there. smile

Re: Dragon Age - 11/20/09 03:43 PM

Moondancer, I am never good at mazes so the WT was necessary. I agree with your spoiler. Very different!
I'm in Denerrim (sp?) now working on the Urn of Ashes and about 6 more Chantry quests.
Did anyone download the Warden's Keep? Is it worth it for a place to keep your stuff?

Re: Dragon Age - 11/20/09 05:18 PM

As for the Warden's Keep, word on the Bioware forums and the Social Site is that it is not worth getting if you (just) want a place to store your stuff.

It's fairly short, too - maybe 1½-2 hours total.
And you can get a storage chest added to your camp site by going to the projects (mod) site at the Bioware Social Site. Also, there is a Dragon Age Nexus site up now.

If you get Warden's Keep, you will get a very good armour, some experience and some additional talents and skill, I think?

Re: Dragon Age - 11/20/09 05:29 PM

I've just loaded the game and am experimenting a little. I've created a human noble and chose stealing as one of my skills. However, I have come across some doors and chests that I can't open. Is there such a skill as lockpicking? I didn't notice one but I might have missed it.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/20/09 05:47 PM

That has frustrated me too. I finally went to the DA forums and found that you can't open the chests until you get a Rogue in your party.
Posted By: Demosthenes

Re: Dragon Age - 11/20/09 07:01 PM

...and sometimes after, too. My party's only rogue has maximum lockpicking skills and cunning at about 28, and he STILL can only open about 85% of the chests we run across.

Of course, if I hadn't MISSED one of the playable characters early in the game, I probably wouldn't be having this problem now...

Re: Dragon Age - 11/21/09 02:22 AM

Thanks Karsten for the chest and Warden's Keep info. I'll go to the Bioware site and look for that mod that adds a chest to the party camp.
Demostenes, I agree with you about lockpicking! I wish you could bash the chests even if you might destroy some of the stuff in it if everyone can't learn the lockpicking skill.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/21/09 02:36 AM

I've just started and am playing as a Dalish Elf Warrior. Finished the cave with the spiders and all and was transported back to the elf camp. The game looks great but I am having a recurrent Nvidia error, "Nvidia_nv4 has stopped responding". Hope I am able to continue since the game looks great.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/21/09 10:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Pokey
I've just started and am playing as a Dalish Elf Warrior. Finished the cave with the spiders and all and was transported back to the elf camp.

Hey, that's my main too! My character is a female though. In the end, I chose dualwielding as my main field of expertise, and I'm happy with that decision. I like that the Dalish Elf comes with a nice ranged setup though - so although I did work on her strength, the dexterity is a prerequisite for many of the dualwielding talents, so that fitted in nicely with the ranged skills. smile

I also played the human warrior and elfin mage and some of the city elf's origin, will try out the dwarves later. I'm too wrapped up with the main story at the moment to really care about them right now. yay

Re: Dragon Age - 11/21/09 10:18 AM

Well I finished the game as a City Elf Rogue and must say I am impressed with the acting the graphics and the music. The cut scenes were awesome and worth watching. One of the few games that I actually enjoyed the ending, in fact one of the few games that actually had an ending.

I had no problems whatsoever so I didn't install any patches. I only did the main quests and no side quests (other than those that fell my way).

Now that I am familiar with the game I will have a go at it again doing all the side quests so I'll be spending a lot more time.

For those interested, I have found a much more complete walkthru at gamepressure with side quests and all.

This game was worth the bucks.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/21/09 03:41 PM

Oldman, if you played as a rogue, were you able to open all/most of the chests? I'm thinking of restarting with a rogue character because I love "finding" things. whistle

Also, can you eventually return to previous locations to open any chests that you missed? Is there some kind of fast-travel later on? I'm still fairly early in the game so I don't mind restarting if necessary.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/21/09 10:49 PM

Oldman, if you played as a rogue, were you able to open all/most of the chests? I'm thinking of restarting with a rogue character because I love "finding" things. whistle

Also, can you eventually return to previous locations to open any chests that you missed? Is there some kind of fast-travel later on? I'm still fairly early in the game so I don't mind restarting if necessary.

Any Rogue can open chests. You have to invest in the skill as some get more dificult later in the game.

The game is completely open ended and you can revisit any place in the game anytime.

As far as quick travel all you have is the world map. Once you get into a city or area where there is an exit to world map you can go to any place but there are no teleports or the like.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/21/09 10:54 PM

Thanks, oldman, for the walkthrough link thumbsup and great to hear you enjoyed the game so much grin

Re: Dragon Age - 11/22/09 07:57 AM

The game is completely open ended and you can revisit any place in the game anytime.

Except for Lothering, the Koukarii wilds, and Ostagar. Those cannot be revisited after certain events.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/22/09 08:38 AM

Hmm, didn't know that because I didn't try. blush I just saw all the towns on the map and assumed I could revisit them and you know what assume means. lol

Re: Dragon Age - 11/22/09 08:59 AM

I just arrived in Lothering. does that mean I can't go back to Ostagar and get a dog? I don't see Ostagar on the map.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/22/09 10:57 AM

Pokey, you can go back to Ostagar, if you buy Bioware's (new) DLC *Return to Ostagar* for 5 Dollars. It will be out some time before Christmas, I think.

If you decide to buy it, you will get a second chance to get Dog. I think you'll need to do the Kennel Master's Quest before you can get Dog in the first plave, though.

Rob Bartel, a Bioware dev says this about the Return to Ostagaer DLC:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/9/index/241198/7

Quote:
As for areas, Ostagar itself has seen a major re-art to snow it over and make it feel like Darkspawn have been lingering there for a while. We've also opened up some new portions of the map that you weren't previously able to access. The quest also includes 3 additional areas which are smaller than Ostagar and involve a greater degree of re-use.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/22/09 05:03 PM

I've restarted as a noble human rogue (kinda contradictory terms wink ) and am in Ostagar. I'm about to start the Tower of Ishal. I'm glad I restarted because now I have been able to open all the locked doors and chests. I've collected a lot of stuff but am confused about what I can sell or what I should keep. I've found precious stones, runes, a flying carpet (not a quest item) and an assortment of plants and minerals. Since this is early in the game I still don't know what will be useful later on or whether I can sell with a clear conscience.

Also do you give your companions upgraded weaponns or armor that you find on your trip? Do you let them keep it in case you use them again later or do you take the item back? One of my grey warden recruit companions had a better sword that I had given him but when he died in the ceremony the sword went with him. Most of the time you don't know what will happen so you take your chances I guess. Anyway, just wondered what others do.

You can get Dog puppy right at the beginning if you are playing a noble human. He's side quest part of the human origin story at the start. If that is not your origin story you can get him from the kennel master in Ostagar in return for finding something for him. The quest is not triggered by the kennel master but is triggered if you stumble across the item. Good game so far. happydance

Re: Dragon Age - 11/22/09 05:32 PM

I think you'll need to keep the runes; they can be used to upgrading weapons etc. There's some people that can enchant weapons for you, runes are needed to do this.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/22/09 06:36 PM

That's annoying. Most games will let you know if you can't return. I did all the Korcari wilds quests, including the flower, but when we returned, we reported to Duncan first. That got us caught up in the ceremony and then immediately sent to the tower. I thought we would return, but we got transported to the hut and no option to return to Ostagar.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/22/09 07:08 PM

On the Bioware Social site (and in the old forums) people have complained about they're not being told that the game closes them off at that point in time, you're talking about, Pokey.

I think that's why the devs. decided to make this Return to Ostagar DLC.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/22/09 08:02 PM

Replaying has taught me to finish all side quests at a location first as finishing the main quest at a location can close off opportunities to complete the side quests. That is why I robbed the Tranquil's chest first and returned the flower to to the dog keeper before I went to Duncan. But I didn't know that either the first time through. Now if I trigger a closing sequence I reload and finish other stuff first. That is annoying.

Pokey, if you haven't finished the Tower yet
Click to reveal..
search the barrels and chest in the top level before lighting the beacon otherwise you won't be able to do so

Re: Dragon Age - 11/22/09 08:29 PM

Perhaps I was spoiled by all attention paid to the gamer's experiences by the developers of The Witcher, but it annoys me that after paying $50 for a game, I have to pay another $5 here and there for enhancements to the game.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/22/09 09:39 PM

Perhaps I was spoiled by all attention paid to the gamer's experiences by the developers of The Witcher, but it annoys me that after paying $50 for a game, I have to pay another $5 here and there for enhancements to the game.

I understand what you're saying, and we are, of course, free to not get the DLCs at all. The game can be completed without the need to play through the DLC offered, though.

I know we got spoiled by CD RED Project and their excellent 'for the fans' line when they decided to give away the extra content for free to all registered owners. To celebrate this, I bought a copy of the Enhanced Edition retail, and to help the devs. get some more money. It still left CD RED Project and the publishing house in great financial turmoil; a turmoil they are still struggling with to this day.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/22/09 10:11 PM

Three of my party got injured in a fight with the bandits. All look like they are on fire but only Alistair has injuries showing on his stats. I healed Alistair with injury kits (had to figure out how to use the radial menu) but the rest are still glowing. Do I need to use more injury kits on the others even though they show no injuries.?

Also, I understand I can return to my camp and get healed, but if I try to use the map, it says "no travel at this time". How and when can I go to my camp?

Posted By: PolloDiablo

Re: Dragon Age - 11/22/09 10:17 PM

You need to be on the main map to travel to your camp Pokey, so find the "World Map" exit from where you currently are and then visit the camp.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/22/09 10:48 PM

I absolutely agree. The thing that irritated me the most was that guy at my camp with a ! over his head. When I went to get the quest they wanted me to download it and pay for it. Plus it seems you must accumulate points in order to buy the dumb thing.

At least in Baldurs Gate Icewind Dale and NWN Bioware sold the enhancements separately with enough quests to be worth the money rather than having to download each extra quest separately at 5 to 7 bucks a pop.

This new trend towards downloading has some pros and cons but for me the cons far outweigh the pros.

But that's just one man's opinion.

Incidently I did download the mod for the chest at my camp and it worked fine with no problems.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/22/09 11:16 PM

You do not need to accumulate points for it. You can buy the points at the Bioware Social Site. Just go to your profile and find the tab saying add bioware points. You can even buy points for
7 $ worth=560 Bioware points.

Many, many people, including me, have protested about this on the Bioware site. I've said that I didn't like the idea of having an NPC quest giver in my game, if I haven't (yet) bought the game.
Bioware responded with the 'yes, but this is to make sure that people not following the game development will be aware of new DLC'. To me, this just seems like a (poor) excuse for trying to sell more dlcs..

And quite frankly, when you log into the game (via your account) there could be a message saying 'new dlc' available coupled together with a description of it.

As for the quest icon (exclamation mark), you can just turn it OFF in the game's options menu. Note that doing this will turn OFF every quest mark in the game.

As for the injuries, if they have abilities or something like this checked, they will show as not fully healed. If, say a mage, has a persistent thing running like a certain spell or something, he or she will show up as not fully healed.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/22/09 11:18 PM

Karsten you have been such an invaluable resource for this game. Thank you so much! bravo

Re: Dragon Age - 11/22/09 11:36 PM

Thanks, Pollo Diablo. I found the exit on the other side of the town where I hadn't looked before. Went to camp and all are healed now.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/23/09 12:14 AM

"Perhaps I was spoiled by all attention paid to the gamer's experiences by the developers of The Witcher, but it annoys me that after paying $50 for a game, I have to pay another $5 here and there for enhancements to the game."

Well I haven't even started the game yet but I certainly agree with these sentiments and am shocked at such tactics shame

Right now I am waiting for my engineer to fit a large additional hard drive so I can start to play some of these latest RPGs. They need SO much disk space and my aging computer just doesn't have enough ....

And because of that And because, also, I take eons to get through any RPG lol I now have at least five new and new-ish RPGs absolutely untouched.
So I'm light years in play behind all you folks !!!!

Re: Dragon Age - 11/23/09 12:19 AM

" I now have at least five new and new-ish RPGs absolutely untouched.
So I'm light years in play behind all you folks !!!!

Well, young lady, it sounds to me like you need to do some serious playing lol wave

Re: Dragon Age - 11/23/09 02:14 AM

Well, the annoyance is enough for me that I will not be ponying up any more of my money for extra quests. However, when any CD Project Red games are released, I will be supporting them as much as I can. They totally won my hard-earned dollars with their attitude.

All whining aside, Dragon Age Origins is a pretty good game...

Re: Dragon Age - 11/23/09 04:23 AM

"Well, young lady, it sounds to me like you need to do some serious playing lol wave
Ooooh !! I love the "young lady" (I wish) bit, looney4labs rotfl

And glad to hear (from Draclvr most recently) that the game will be worth the wait for when I do start my catching up thumbsup

Re: Dragon Age - 11/23/09 04:37 AM

I may still be back here with you as after at least a couple of hours at different times of trying to get past the first Ogre, I am about to give up and start over. This Dalish Elf Warrior is just not working out! Even though I've gotten used to them, the hideous controls don't help either. I'm used to being able to move precisely and smoothly.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/23/09 05:11 AM

A Dalish Elf Warrior should be able to beat the Ogre. I tried with mine using the same technique that had been working, mainly just trying to bash him. After two tries where we all died, I tried a different tactic and we killed him and none of our group died. Straight melee is very difficult with him and then he will take out your ranged guys.

The controls are very similar to other RPGs except that you depress the right mouse button to steer while pressing the W key.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/23/09 06:00 AM

I didn't really get the hang of battles in this game until I got locked into a very difficult battle against overwhelming forces and was forced to compensate by micromanaging my allies.

At this point, the harder battles in the game go something like this:

1. I press spacebar to pause, use the middle-mouse button to zoom out as far as possible, and survey the battlefield. I want to get an idea of a lot of things here: whether the opposing side has any mages or archers, how many enemies there appear to be, and whether any of them look particularly powerful. I also look for any large groups of enemies my mage might be able to hit with a fireball or blizzard spell.

2. Still paused, I give orders to each of my allies.

My mage usually starts with one of a few spells for crowd control: I may maneuver him in to apply cone of cold if there are some nearby enemies, or toss a quick fireball if they're further away, often followed by blizzard, especially if there are a lot of distant or ranged enemies like archers who I want to slow down. If I choose to use cone of cold, I may have to get the mage in position first, which usually means I use WASD controls after unpausing in step 3.

If the enemies aren't too spread out, and there aren't too many of them, I send my tank (warrior) in to act as a mobile damage sink--by right clicking the enemy I want him to attack. If there are a lot of enemies, or they're spread out too much, I switch my warrior to a ranged weapon (by pressing /, which switches to his secondary weapon) and have him attack from afar. If I have two melee fighters, I usually make sure to concentrate their attacks on one enemy--preferably one who's close by, and especially anyone who threatens my spellcasters. I only split their attacks if there are two enemies with fairly low HP/defense, or if I need to distract two enemies from attacking my mages.

At the start of the battle, I tell my healer to retreat to a safe position (by zooming out and right-clicking her destination), or (if she's already fairly safe) issue ranged attacks against the same enemy the melee fighters are attacking. And if I have a rogue in my party (I usually do) then I may have him try to cloak so he can backstab someone later.

Once I've issued orders to all my allies, I unpause the game...

3. My healer has her tactics set to heal anyone whose health drops below 50%. She also puts up a stone shield to protect herself Most other spells I micromanage, because if I don't she tends to use up all her mana in seconds. So, if at any time 2 or more allies are below ~50%, I pause, switch to the healer, and cast Heal All. If her mana drops too low, I give her a quick potion. And if necessary, I issue other spells as well, such as Rejuvenate.

Additionally, if I'm trying to help a force of NPCs, I watch THEIR health and ty to heal them as much as possible. NPCs tend to die fast, but if you can keep them alive through a battle, their numbers will take a lot of pressure off of your 4 characters. This is made easier by the fact that my mage ALSO has healing spells, so he can help out when my healer is waiting for her spell cooldown to end. Healing NPCs was VITAL when I played through Redcliffe.

Meanwhile, my mage tries to stay back near the healer, lobbing as many spells as he can at the most dangerous enemies, and freezing or fireballing any large group that threatens to overwhelm my forces. And whenever my warrior kills a target, I pause, switch back to him and specifically tell him which enemy to attack next. That (usually) prevents him from suicidally charging across the map to kill the enemy on the other side of the room.

If my melee characters are set to attack with ranged weapons, and the enemy comes too close, I quickly switch their weapons back to melee. Often, battles with very powerful enemies can center around this tactic: draw them close with ranged weapons, batter them with melee, then snipe at them with ranged weapons again as they retreat, to prevent your warrior from chasing them down and getting swarmed.

Similarly, my mage took the arcane warrior spec, so if my warrior needs the help, or my lyrium potions are running low, I may activate combat magic and shimmering shield, which makes the mage a virtually unstoppable melee fighter...at the expense of a preposterously fast mana drain.

Similarly, if I'm up against an enemy with very powerful attacks, I may choose to have characters activate modes that give them defense bonuses. Shale, for example, can hold up very nicely to a dragon if you activate his Stoneheart ability--and he does a great job making sure the dragon attacks HIM instead of my flimsy mage.

Of course, my healer can only do so much, so I have to float around distributing healing and mana potions as necessary, too. On the other hand, a paralyzed or stunned ally is defenseless and can't use potions, so I make sure to concentrate my healer's efforts on them until they recover. I easily spend more time distributing orders while the game is paused than I do watching the battles play out.

When the battle is over, I do damage control: first, I disable any mana or stamina-draining abilities like combat magic. I also heal anyone who was injured (usually caused by falling in battle, as distinct from someone who merely lost som HP.) My healer now has a spell which heals injuries for everyone but herself, so I don't spend much on injury kits.

In other words, not dying pretty much requires pausing constantly and issuing dozens of orders every battle--usually from a birds-eye view.The zoomed-out view also makes it easier to issue movement and attack orders (by right-clicking to move or attack, or left clicking to cast or select a spell).

As far as Ogres go, the main thing (as Pokey mentioned) seems to be to stay back as much as possible. If you have a mage with cone of cold, that will work great to freeze him for a few crucial seconds while your warrior picks away at him. Otherwise, it's probably best to have everyone use ranged attacks, and slow the ogre down as much as possible with whatever spells or abilities you DO have. Paralyze it, or throw a fireball, or try to have your rogue stun it. Freeze it, or use a poison or enchanted weapon to slow it down. And if all else falls, kite it around--have one character run around while it follows him, and have everyone else attack from a distance. If he changes targets, just change who you're controlling to match. Ogres are slow, so you shouldn't have to much trouble staying away from it.

Later on Ogres are less of a problem, as your warrior can do a much better job defending himself, and you'll have more options for slowing it down.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/23/09 06:24 AM

I've tried making everyone ranged and several combinations thereof. I know I can get it done because I've gotten close, so I'll keep trying.

This is the first RPG I've played in a very long time that didn't allow you to use the WASD keys for movement and moving the mouse back and forth for steering. Several of us here have never run into one which makes you continuously press the RMB to "steer." Very fatiguing on the right wrist.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/23/09 07:27 AM

Now that I think about it, I've been subconsciously avoiding depressing the right button for long periods of time.

First off, I generally don't use the WASD keys in this game unless I have to. Especially when traversing long distances, I just right click as far away from my character as possible. I also fight most battles almost exclusively from overhead.

Unfortunately, it's still more convenient to be in an over-the-shoulder view for movement across long stretches of terrain, due to the decreased visibility in overhead view. I have to still adjust the camera fairly often, and sometimes I have to use the WASD keys to move somewhere or to react quickly to enemy movement--but I definitely have minimized the amount of time I have to keep the right mouse button pressed.

In fact, the last time I backtracked through a long maze, rather than walk back the usual way (which would have still involved a lot of camera movement) I sidestepped the mouse entirely. Instead I used the WASD keys to move, ignored most of what was happening on the screen, and used the map to tell where I was. My characters spent a lot of time staring at the wall, but it worked surprisingly well, and it gave my hand a rest.

That doesn't work nearly as well when there are enemies around, though.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/23/09 07:28 AM

I used kiting against the Ogre and it was effective. Alistair can use taunt on the Ogre and then run around the room with the Ogre chasing while everyone uses ranged or spells on him. He was down below 1/4 before he peeled away from Alistair and was no trouble to bring down.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/23/09 10:34 AM

I'm getting quite scared after reading how even some of you veterans are finding the combat difficult eek

Are any of you using "easy" mode ??

Re: Dragon Age - 11/23/09 11:18 AM

I'm getting quite scared after reading how even some of you veterans are finding the combat difficult eek

Are any of you using "easy" mode ??

I am definitely playing on easy mode because I am pretty combat challenged. laugh smirk blush

Also for the wimps like me there is a god mode.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/23/09 02:07 PM

Ahhhhh !! There is a God Mode out there already ??

Well, I'm sure I will be needing it with this game lol lol

Thank you, oldman thumbsup

Re: Dragon Age - 11/23/09 02:09 PM

I'm playing on easy mode. The benefit of easy mode is that you are not vulnerable to friendly fire.

I had no trouble with the ogre. I had Dog and Alistair torment him while I (archer) and a mage dropped his health. What I found strange was that my offficial game guide said that when you enter the tower a guard and a soldier would join your party. However, I had Alistair and I automatically got Dog. It was a no name mage that joined us (no guard or soldier). He was a very good mage, too. Nobody died.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/23/09 02:16 PM

Also do you give your companions upgraded weaponns or armor that you find on your trip? Do you let them keep it in case you use them again later or do you take the item back? One of my grey warden recruit companions had a better sword that I had given him but when he died in the ceremony the sword went with him. Most of the time you don't know what will happen so you take your chances I guess. Anyway, just wondered what others do.

Don't worry - after the battle at Ostagar is over, you get to keep all your companions that you recruit after that, -unless you specifically ask them to leave, at which point you can of course, first remove all their inventory.

Quote:
You can get Dog puppy right at the beginning if you are playing a noble human. He's side quest part of the human origin story at the start. If that is not your origin story you can get him from the kennel master in Ostagar in return for finding something for him. The quest is not triggered by the kennel master but is triggered if you stumble across the item.

Glad you're enjoying the game, Rowan! I just want to mention, that in my case, both with my mage and with my Dalish elf, I was able to trigger the quest for dog, by speaking first to the kennelmaster in camp. Then I'd get the item needed for the dog, later when you have to go out into the wilds in any case for other business. smile

Re: Dragon Age - 11/23/09 02:35 PM

I'm playing on easy mode. The benefit of easy mode is that you are not vulnerable to friendly fire.

I had no trouble with the ogre. I had Dog and Alistair torment him while I (archer) and a mage dropped his health. What I found strange was that my offficial game guide said that when you enter the tower a guard and a soldier would join your party. However, I had Alistair and I automatically got Dog. It was a no name mage that joined us (no guard or soldier). He was a very good mage, too. Nobody died.

I picked up first the guard while making my way to the tower, and the mage at the entrance to the tower.

Warning: the mage and the guard do not remain with you, though dog and Alistair do.

Regarding the long tactics post that Demosthenes posted, and other remarks about playing on "easy" and "normal"

I'd started off on normal, and then while doing the Redcliffe area, fighting a certain enemy
Click to reveal..
(Revenant)
proved so hard, that I turned the game down to easy for a while, until I decided to get Shale and some cool area effect spells. Now playing on normal again.

The biggest difference, is that on normal you have to be extremely careful of friendly fire. In fact, I had a case of Wynne killing herself with her own fireball! eek

So what I do, is I make diligent use of the hand (stop) button before every single battle, and I micromanage my party member's every single move. It's a bit like a chess game. Fun.

PS. Demosthenes: Are you by any chance a Disciples fan, hmm? Just wondering because of the nick...

Re: Dragon Age - 11/23/09 04:11 PM

Where do companions go after you release them from your group? I'd like to be able to change my mind and get them back.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/23/09 04:34 PM

Your companions will be waiting for you at your camp, assuming you didn't choose them to go with you. If you asked them to leave, that may be different. You can reach it by going to the exit of the city or area map and then clicking on your camp in the upper right of the world map. You can heal everyone and buy supplies there. I've had Sten waiting there for a while.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/23/09 04:45 PM

However, what I had meant was, you can let them leave you permanently if you want to, though I have no idea why anybody would want to do that.

One also has to keep in mind, that if their disposition gets too low, and party members start to dislike you too much, they can leave your camp out of their own accord. Making certain plot choices in their presence, could also make them leave you, and apparently even attack you.

The best way to have them like you, is to give them gifts appropriate to the party member. If they only like you 2 or 3 points more, you'll know that you gave the wrong gift to the wrong person. If their disposition towards you rises by 6 points or more, you'll know it was the right gift to give. wink

Re: Dragon Age - 11/23/09 10:19 PM

Thanks for the taunt suggestion against the ogre, Pokey. That did the trick.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/24/09 04:23 AM

I'm having a problem with the back alley quest in Denerim. I've done two of the alleys, but the last one, I think it is Dark Alley, is really difficult. I thought having Morrigan use cone of cold would help, but I can't get her to use it consistantly. Most of the time nothing happens. It is very effective when it does work but I am not sure what is wrong. I could use some ideas for winning this battle.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/24/09 04:54 AM

First of all, make sure you're in direct control of Morrigan while she casts Cone of Cold. If you issue the order and then switch characters, there's a chance her tactics list will take over and choose to do something else.

Secondly, remember that CoC, like other spells, has a fairly long cooldown. After you've cast it, you'll need to let it recharge before you can cast it again.

When you select the spell, make sure to position the cone appropriately. Just clicking the button to cast the spell won't work if you don't then tell Morrigan which direction to cast the spell (by clicking an area near her.)

Also note that while positioning the cone, the area of effect will be outlined. If there's no outline when you click, the spell isn't going to be cast.

Finally, don't try to move her until after she's finished casting the spell, as moving will interrupt it.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/24/09 05:09 AM

Thanks for the tips. I went back and tried it again and was successful this time. It is a very effective spell. We beat the thugs in Dark Alley but seems there are more even though we did all three alleys.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/24/09 09:26 AM

A small tip: If Wynne has the Stone Fist spell, target a frozen enemy with it almost immediately after he'd been frozen, and you will more often than not be able to "shatter" the frozen enemy, which completely destroys it! yay

Re: Dragon Age - 11/24/09 07:35 PM

Excellent idea, thanks. Am really enjoying this game and the story.

wave

Re: Dragon Age - 11/24/09 08:34 PM

The last room in the deserted house in Denerim was tough for our levels 7 and 8. Morrigan doesn't have many good spells except cone of cold, but she was the last survivor and took down the two mages by herself. She used about every spell she had and a lot of potions. smile

Re: Dragon Age - 11/25/09 12:35 AM

Pokey, you are way ahead of me. wave I'm doing the Broken Circle quest now and I'm spending a lot of time doing the side quests here. Some of the Hidden notes are very hidden and a lot of time is invested searching for them. The Revenant was a surprise! scared

Re: Dragon Age - 11/25/09 12:49 AM

Rowan, I think we just went different directions. I did Lothering and then went to Denerim. Things are slowing down here so may leave and check out another area. Have you been to Redcliff?

Re: Dragon Age - 11/25/09 03:06 AM

No, I haven't been to any of the places you mentioned. I went to Lake Galenhad Docks and from there to the mage tower. I'm going to the 4th level tomorrow. There are many side quests and all are hard to trigger and complete because it means going over each room with a fine tooth comb for "hidden" clues. These only show up when you mouse over them. They aren't glowing like the normal loot items and most clues are very small. Come join me when you feel like straining your eyes.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/25/09 05:49 PM

I don't understand specialization. I have a 1 available when I reach level 8, but if I try to use it by clicking on a choice, Champion, etc, nothing is active. When can I use it?

Which choice would be best for a dual weapon warrior?

Later...I did some searching and I guess I have to talk to party members or buy a book. It certainly is not explained in the manual. I would still like to know the best choice.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/25/09 06:30 PM

Pokey, even after reaching level 7, before you can choose a specialization, you need to unlock it.

Some specializations are unlocked by plot developments. Others can be unlocked by reading books--a few such books are available from vendors.

I recommend talking to your companions in camp fairly frequently, as some of them will be willing to teach you their specializations once you know them well enough.

You will not be able to unlock all specializations in one playthrough. However, once you've unlocked a specialization, it should be available for all your subsequent playthroughs. That actually leaves the game open to exploits: if you save the game, purchase a spec book, and read it to unlock a specialization, then reload the game, you'll still have your gold AND the new specialization.

As for which spec to choose for a warrior...well...they're all pretty decent, and you won't get all of them on your first playthrough anyway. So just choose what's available and see what happens.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/25/09 06:37 PM

I'm in the same position as Pokey. I'm on level 7 going on 8. I am a rogue and want to specialize in Ranger. I haven't come across any books about it and so far no companion has volunteered to teach me in it. I've exhausted all conversation possibilities with each so far. I'm at various degrees of "neutral" with each of them.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/25/09 06:51 PM

Ranger is one of the easier unlocks:

Click to reveal..
Buy the Ranger book from the dwarves in camp. It should cost around 10 or 15 gold, so make sure you have enough to pay for it. Then read the book in your inventory.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/26/09 12:01 AM

Thank you, Demosthenes! When I'm back at camp I'll try that. Right now I'm still making my way through the Fade for the mages.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/26/09 10:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Pokey
I don't understand specialization. I have a 1 available when I reach level 8, but if I try to use it by clicking on a choice, Champion, etc, nothing is active. When can I use it?

Which choice would be best for a dual weapon warrior?

Later...I did some searching and I guess I have to talk to party members or buy a book. It certainly is not explained in the manual. I would still like to know the best choice.

Interestingly, I also chose dual-wielding, pokey, so we both have Dalish Warrior dual-wielders. I wouldn't say any of the warrior specialisations really make a difference regarding the fact that you are a dual-wielder, though. (I've tried them all out)

Yes, the specialisations have to be "unlocked" before any of your party members can use them.

Pokey, I would advise that you not be in too much of a hurry to simply unlock the first specialization that comes your way. You will be able to buy the Warden spec from the dwarf in your camp, and also theoretically be able to learn it from Alistair, but I suspect his disposition towards you must be high, since he refused to teach it to me at an early stage of the game. Warden is basically only useful against magic-users, though, so it depends on exactly where you are in the game, and what you plan to do in the immediate future.

A nice specialisation, though, is the Champion, which you automatically get after you finish the Redcliffe questline in a certain manner. It has some nice buffing abilities that boosts your entire party.

I was a bit overhasty to take a specialisation, and was then rather sorry later that I took Warden, since Alistair already has it, but it is a useful specialisation against mages, and therefore also useful to have if you don't plan on having Alistair in your party all the time.
I gave Alistair the Champion spec, and I took Reaver as my later specialisation, but you have to do evil stuff to get it.
You can buy the Berserker specialisation from a trader in Denerim.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/26/09 05:26 PM

Thanks, Moondancer for the good advice. I was leaning toward Champion, but will wait till I do Redcliff, which will be next after the Brecilian forest. I could use some help against the mages so will check out Warden and not be in a hurry to choose.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/27/09 01:57 PM

Is there a way to unload items from your inventory? When I was locked in the mage tower I was greeted with the message "inventory full". I couldn't go to a merchant at that point in the quest. The only option I had was to destroy items already in the inventory in order to make way for the new stuff. That created a dilemna as no values are listed on items and I could only guess at what is worth more. Also, can you return to an area after you have completed all quests in order to pick up stuff you left in containers? I still haven't left the mage tower in case I lose this option.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/27/09 03:59 PM

Is there a way to unload items from your inventory? When I was locked in the mage tower I was greeted with the message "inventory full". I couldn't go to a merchant at that point in the quest. The only option I had was to destroy items already in the inventory in order to make way for the new stuff. That created a dilemna as no values are listed on items and I could only guess at what is worth more. Also, can you return to an area after you have completed all quests in order to pick up stuff you left in containers? I still haven't left the mage tower in case I lose this option.

Sadly one can only destroy goodies, and not put them down. I had also found this a waste. I presume you do know about the extra backpacks you can buy from vendors, and about the camp chest mod, and I presume you do know that you can trade with the quartermaster on the ground floor of the mage's tower? I almost think he also sells a backpack.

One can return to many areas; - not sure about the entire tower, but I've been back at least to trade with the quartermaster, after finishing with the "liberation" of the Tower, and leaving.

EDIT: I've checked, and it does seem as if one can safely leave the Mage's tower and return again to pick up whatever loot you've missed. wink

Re: Dragon Age - 11/27/09 05:20 PM

Also, you can examine items to determine their value:

Find the item in your inventory, hover the mouse cursor over it and hold down the left mouse button (as you would for selling or dropping it) but select the eye cursor instead. In addition to a description, examining the item will also give you a base gold value.

Of course, you won't be able to sell the item for that much, as vendors only give a small percentage of the value of an item. But you CAN compare item values pretty easily that way.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/27/09 05:42 PM

Thanks, Demosthenes. I didn't realize about the price comparison. You can't access the quartermaster of the mage tower during the main mage quest because you get locked into the tower. You can access him before and after. Fortunately I didn't destroy that much. I'm trying very hard to save for the Archery skill book back at camp but I still don't have enough money. Spent a lot of it on another backpack. There are so many nice items in the merchants' inventory I don't think I'll ever have enough money. frown Other than that, I really enjoyed the mage quest. It was a very long quest but I really like the opportunity to:
Click to reveal..
gain many free attribute points.
Posted By: H4XX0RZ

Re: Dragon Age - 11/27/09 07:33 PM

Hey all, I have a question.

After purchasing Call of Duty: MW2 and Assassin's Creed 2, this is the last game left on my yearly wish list! I still have a couple of questions about it, however, before I go and purchase it.

First off, is this game party-based or more focused to a single character? I mean this in every way, in the exploration, the combat, and character development? I really don't want to have to worry about the rest of my party's stats when one character in a BioWare game has an encyclopedia of details that you can customize. In combat, I find party combat (especially non-turn based) to be kind of a turn off, due to the fact you usually have to pause the game and switch characters a lot to succeed in some of the more intricate battles. But if it gives the option for a lot of AI control of your party, I'd prefer that greatly.

Second, is it possible to reach a scenario in this game in which you MUST start over because of some mistake you made in the past during character development or gear choices?

Re: Dragon Age - 11/27/09 09:03 PM

DA is heavily dependent on party management--at least, it is at "normal" difficulty and above. You do have to pause the game fairly frequently in order to issue commands to your party members.

You can assign a list of "tactics" to each party member that they will automatically follow. Unfortunately, the tactics available are too limited to make your companions any more intelligent than a brick.

For example, my healer has a healing spell which restores some HP to a single ally. She also has another spell which restores some HP to ALL party members.

I can easily create a tactic which says "if a party member's health drops below 50%, heal them." However, I CANNOT say "If the health of 2 or more party members drops below 50%, cast Heal All." Nor can I combine multiple requirements, as in "If a party member is stunned AND their health is below 75%, cast regeneration on them."

There are other limitations, too: if you assign too many spells to a tactics list, your healer will happily wear herself down to 0 MP after a few seconds of casting useless buffs. You can probably mitigate this problem a bit by creating multiple tactics profiles, and creating tactics in each profile that switch to other profiles when your healer's magic drops below X%...but I haven't bothered because I'd have to spend half an hour editing tactics lists every time any of my characters leveled.

Worse still, your characters only start off with 4 tactics slots. If you want to allow them a list with more than 4 tactics, you need to level them first.

The net result of this is that (depending on how many tactics you assign them) automated characters will either wander around like drunken loons, running straight into bunches of enemeies while swinging a big stick and yelling out warcries...or they'll cast 7 spells, 5 buffs, and then cast a cone of cold that freezes your entire party solid while the enemies chip away at you, and then stand around waiting for their mana to recharge.

Apparently "easy" difficulty eliminates friendly fire, which would make tactics a little more viable, but as it stands they're essentially useless. So yes, you'll have to do a lot of party management during battles, assuming you don't want everyone to die.

You can set characters to auto-level if you wish, if you don't want to manage their stats and skills--but again, the AI is rather stupid in the way it assigns skills. It generally favors combat-related skills, which means (for instance) that your rogue may end up pretty strong, but unable to pick locks or detect traps. Fr some reason you can't choose to auto-level stats without also auto-leveling skills and spells. Once again, managing things yourself is probably better.

There aren't any "game-breaking" points where you'll be unable to continue. If you fail to properly level your characters, they may up weak versus the enemies they need to fight. However, unless you (for example) give your mage 50 points of strength, even pretty major leveling mistakes should be fixable by changing the difficulty, which can be done on the fly if necessary.

Similarly, none of the gear in the game is "special" enough to be truly unique. Even if you accidentally sell off the best armor in the game, there are a few other similar armors available that should work just fine.

The biggest problem I've seen is how hard it can be to find a character with decent lock-picking, trap-detecting, or other ancillary skills. That problem is compounded by the fact that new characters enter your party pre-leveled to your current level, so if you pick someone up at level 15, they'll already have most of their skill points assigned for you...usually not in a very intelligent manner. Additionally, your main character is the only one who can develop their persuasion skills. However, the worst effect any of this has is that you'll have to come back latter to open certain chests, or maybe that you'll get hit by every trap in every room for three-quarters of the game.
Posted By: H4XX0RZ

Re: Dragon Age - 11/27/09 09:54 PM

Thank you Demosthenes. I think I might try the game anyway, regardless of the combat. I've heard too many good things about it to let that kill my enthusiasm.

However, I was happy to hear about the non-game breaking character development. In JRPG's (been playing a lot of those lately) it's entirely possible for you to need to restart the whole game due to the fact that you screwed up.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/27/09 10:25 PM

I'm stuck. I have forgotten where I found the mages collective representative in Denerim. I have looked but I'm missing him somewhere. Is he in the market place?
Thanks for the help!

Re: Dragon Age - 11/27/09 11:01 PM

Excellent summary by Demosthenes there. The reasons he gives are mainly the reasons why I micromanage every single move my people make in combat. (I've totally disabled tactics)

Demosthenes: to give you an example of dumb AI I've encountered: I thought it was bad when Wynne managed to kill herself with her own fireball, until the day that she managed to kill my entire party by casting a firball directly over our heads... razz

Since I'm a HOMM freak, I don't mind the micromanagment though, and in fact, I rather enjoy it save for the fact that it does tend to waste a bit of time.

H4XXORZ, as long as you set the game to "easy" I'm sure you'll be fine - I played it on easy for a while, and it is true what Demosthenes suggested - you don't have to worry about friendly fire in "Easy", so using your automatic AI via the tactics slots should hopefully be just fine. smile

Yeah, personally I've certainly found the game worthwhile so far; though I've yet to finish.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/27/09 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Debra
I'm stuck. I have forgotten where I found the mages collective representative in Denerim. I have looked but I'm missing him somewhere. Is he in the market place?
Thanks for the help!

Yes, he is in the marketplace, standing in an alley diagonally opposite the Chantry, sort of in the street behind where Wade's Emporium is. (In other words, if you are facing Wade's emporium with the common marketplace at your back, go around Wade's emporium to the back of it, in the street where the Chantry is.)

Re: Dragon Age - 11/27/09 11:05 PM

Debra, did you look in the market? luck

Re: Dragon Age - 11/28/09 02:26 AM

I found him. Thanks Moondancer and L4L. He was hidden in plain sight frown

Re: Dragon Age - 11/28/09 03:13 AM

Has anyone else had difficulty with persuasion or intimidation in the Redcliffe quests? hardwall Seem to be a stubborn group of people.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/28/09 07:28 AM

Has anyone else had difficulty with persuasion or intimidation in the Redcliffe quests? hardwall Seem to be a stubborn group of people.

Yes, most definitely. My persuasion skill was only at the first tier, so either I needed that at the second tier, and/or my cunning needed to be higher, but in this game you seem to really need to invest in persuasion quite a bit before it gets you anywhere. I'm nervous of using intimidation, because if it fails, the NPC is often so the heck in with you, that they simply refuse to speak to you afterwards. But yeah, I couldn't either persuade or intimidate
Click to reveal..
the chantry woman or the boy in the cupboard
, no matter how hard I tried...

Re: Dragon Age - 11/28/09 03:52 PM

I have decided after reading all of your comments I won't be left out in the cold only reading about this game I am going to buy it and join the fun with you all. lol

Can anyone tell me where I can buy the game in Europe because I live in Ireland and want the game quickly and a decent price would be great also. confused

If anyone has downloaded it, can you please tell me how long of a download it was and where you downloaded it from? Was it a fast server? Thanks in advance.

thanks old man (John) for recommending the gamepad with so much detailed combat makes me wonder if I will live to fight another battle. With the gamepad it should be easier. yes

I bought Sacred 2 and enhanced Witcher because of your comments and enjoy them and now add Dragon age to the list.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/28/09 10:10 PM

blush Thank you Sheryah. smile Just glad I could help. Gameboomers is a "pay it forward" place. I've been helped more times than I can remember.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/28/09 11:04 PM

Sherryah...

You can buy the game in Europe from gamersgate.

The digital deluxe edition can be bought for about 40£

Info is here:
http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-DAODVUK/dragon-age-origins-digital-deluxe-version

In addition you can buy the game's guide as well for about 22-23£

You can buy it from Steam, too, but at a higher price I think? (don't really now the exchange rate between the Euro and the British Pound, though). Here's the link to the Steam version:

http://store.steampowered.com/publisher/Electronic%20Arts/

The digital deluxe edition is the better deal, I find. You get a sound track, wall papers. You get Stone prisoner, but you get Warden's Keep, too. (normally this will cost you about 7$ or maybe 10£ or so, depending on the exchange rate).

As a side note, I can add that Steam has an early holiday sale with something the call Lucas Arts Premier Pack including the game 'the dig', loom, lucidity and a few other games. (60% of they call it...).

I don't know how long the download will take, but I do now that the game itself requires from about 15-20 GB of space on your harddrive... /talk about delusions of grandeur.../

Then, again DA is supposed to be a great game smile

Re: Dragon Age - 11/29/09 11:14 PM

thanks for your helpful information Karstan. I will go and check out it out now. 15 to 20 gigs is a huge download. I wonder if anyone has downloaded it at Gameboomers and did it take days to complete the download?

EDIT............
I have a DSL connection

Re: Dragon Age - 11/29/09 11:56 PM

I downloaded the DE in around 10 hours on a 6Mbps connection. That wasn't quite maxing out my download bandwidth, but it was getting pretty close.

With Steam's 5-Day sale going on at the moment, Steam's servers are apparently a little strained, so the download may be slower. Additionally, of course, your time to completion will vary depending on the exact speed of your connection. But if you're on a decent broadband connection, the download shouldn't take all that long.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/30/09 02:53 AM

thanks wave Demos, this helps me. Did you use steam? Thanks in advance for your answer, really kind of you to take the time to answer my question.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/30/09 08:03 AM

Yeah, I used Steam so that I could get the Digital Deluxe edition--the only other option was to use EA's online storefront, and that wasn't nearly as appealing.

I've been using Steam a lot lately: it's not perfect, but Steam's about the best digital download service around. The Steam client is a little obtrusive and occasionally buggy. BUT I can uninstall and reinstall my games without limits; all my games are easily available just by logging in; I don't have to worry about backing up the installation or storing the DVD somewhere safe (although I CAN back up downloaded programs so I don't have to redownload them in the future); the Steam client doesn't interfere with game functionality; and the game files are mostly stored unencrypted in Steam's Program Files directory, which means I can apply mods without Steam's DRM getting in my way.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/30/09 04:58 PM

Asha has a question and doesn't remember his log in so:

He is trying to decide between a rogue and a mage. He thinks only rogues can pick locks. So, if he starts as a mage, will he run across a rogue that can join his party fairly quickly, or should he just bite the bullet and make a rogue?

Thanks puppy

Re: Dragon Age - 11/30/09 05:39 PM

It's true: only rogues can pick locks.

You run across two rogues in the game who can join your party. However, it's possible to miss the first one (as I did) and spend about half the game without one. By the time you get the second, due to the game's insistence on pre-leveling characters, you'll have to spend another quarter of the game leveling your rogue to maximum lock-picking ability.

And if you make the wrong choices, it's possible to lose the second rogue, or not let them join in the first place, in which case you'll never be able to open any locked chests or doors without a key. frown

Re: Dragon Age - 11/30/09 05:52 PM

thanks Demonthenes

That made up his mind for him--a rogue it is puppy

You guys are the best wave

Re: Dragon Age - 11/30/09 06:28 PM

Can Europeans us Steam Demos or anyone that knows? I think I prefer to use steam after reading what you said Demos.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/30/09 06:41 PM

Supposedly, Steam is available in Europe. However, due to a fairly slanted exchange rate, you should compare prices fairly carefully. Euro prices on Steam tend to be artificially inflated such that you can sometimes save a lot of money purchasing the game at retail.

Re: Dragon Age - 11/30/09 11:07 PM

Thanks again Demos this is information I needed to know. Still trying to find somewhere in Europe I live in Southern Ireland with a reasonable price that I can buy the game at retail. Besides play.com I haven't been able to find any. If anyone can give me suggestions I would really appreciate it. thanks in advance. wave

Re: Dragon Age - 11/30/09 11:23 PM

Sherryah, did you try Amazon.uk?

Re: Dragon Age - 12/01/09 12:57 AM

It looks like it's nearly impossible to track down a boxed Collector's Edition at this point.

So realistically you have the option of buying the digital deluxe edition from Steam (or another digital provider,) the standard edition in a box, or the standard edition from Steam et al.

The boxed standard edition will probably be the cheapest if you shop around. However, the digital deluxe edition comes with the Warden's Keep and Stone Prisoner DLC. Warden's Keep isn't worth much, but it does include a nearly bottomless chest you can keep extraneous treasure in. And the Stone Prisoner content is definitely worthwhile.

If you buy the normal edition, you can choose later to purchase the extra content online, so you're not losing much either way.

Confused yet?

Re: Dragon Age - 12/01/09 11:00 AM

Dragon Age : Origins retail disk version is available to buy in the UK from

HERE

and

HERE

and

HERE

The Game UK Site will deliver globally.

Play.Com Site will deliver to
THESE COUNTRIES

And the Amazon UK Site will deliver anywhere in the UK.

Hope that helps grin

Re: Dragon Age - 12/01/09 11:35 AM

thanks bravo Mad! I appreciate this list very much. I don't live in UK though and only hope they all ship to Southern Ireland. I know play.com does and now you have given me Game, who I never heard of before so that is 2 that do. I looked for a website that sells the game online from Southern Ireland and couldn't find any.

I usually buy from America Interact but didn't want to wait the extra days especially Christmas mail delays. I wanted to download it but it is such a huge download I was afraid I would waste my money not knowing which server is the quickest.

Thanks again for going the extra mile to do this for me. hearts I just want to join the fun also and have been feeling left out. Now I can join the fun of playing dragon age.

Re: Dragon Age - 12/01/09 01:55 PM

Sherryah .... we all just want you to enjoy yourself !!!! happydance happydance happydance

Re: Dragon Age - 12/01/09 03:33 PM

AH gee Mad, and Demos your both so sweet. I will let you know when the game arrives. hearts I really want the game today and do a digital download but I haven't heard anyone recommending any fast servers for a DSL connection.

Steam is having problems it seems with a slower connection. If you or anyone can recommend a good digital download server I can be playing Dragon Age today before the retail boxed version can arrive. Mad, can you recommend a digital download server that is fast for European customers ? I was going to use Electronic Boutique but found out they are prejudiced and only allows USA customers to download.

I prefer instant gratification to waiting. catrub

wave thanks Looney, yes I am checking it out also.

Re: Dragon Age - 12/01/09 04:13 PM

Sorry, Sherryah, but I hardly ever download games so I can't help out oops

However, I'm sure someone who can will be along soon grin

Re: Dragon Age - 12/01/09 04:31 PM

Thanks anyway Mad, I have decided I am going to get a quick fix with instant gratification and find a reliable digital download server to get Dragon Age. I will have the game 2 different ways one instant, and one it will take a week or more to arrive.

I also am going to order retail so I have a hard copy of it. I can buy from Interact (better packaging comes in a tin and cloth map) as usual but won't care about the delay it gets here because of Christmas rush, because I will have a digital download also. lol

Now I just have to find all the different places I can do a quick digital download and voila I will be playing the game.

My beloved husband is laughing at me because this is my personality, when I go shopping if I see a blouse I like in more than one color and can't make up my mind, I just say the heck with it and buy both colors. wink

Re: Dragon Age - 12/01/09 05:13 PM

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Re: Dragon Age - 12/01/09 06:45 PM

Sherryah...

When you get your boxex copy, be sure check that there are at least these items in it:

a) a card for Blood Armour

b) A card for Stone Prisoner

c) A card for Warden's Keep

d) and probably some cards for the additional content in the Collector's Edition.

To save paper, these cards have print on both sides.

And as far as the cloth map goes, it sounds great, but from what I've heard and seen it isn't.
Still, great to a get cloth map, though smile

Re: Dragon Age - 12/01/09 09:47 PM

thanks Kartstan, just got back online to see where the fastest servers are to download the game. Does digital download come with all you mentioned?

Re: Dragon Age - 12/01/09 09:52 PM

Sherryah, you might try here. I've had success with them in the past.

Re: Dragon Age - 12/01/09 10:07 PM

So what party has everyone had success with? I'm a rogue/ranger and have Alistair, Wynne and Leliana. So far I have had the most success with them. For all his size, Sten isn't all that powerful, I don't need Zehran as he would be my third rogue, and Morrigan is good but not as good as Wynne. Dog was good at the beginning and I might pick him up again for some side quests. I haven't gone for Shale yet. Can he be obtained at any level?

Re: Dragon Age - 12/01/09 10:29 PM

Right now as we are starting the Circle of Mages, I have myself (Dalish Warrior), Morrigan, Leliana and Alistair. I hope to pick up Wynne and drop Leliana. I would think two mages would be more useful than two rogues. Leliana was good with the bow, but I think I can do without a rogue.

I believe that Shale is available at any time. I read that a player had great success with Shale in the Circle of Mages, so I am tempted to go get him.

Re: Dragon Age - 12/01/09 10:48 PM

As a mage, my default party consists of Wynne (for healing,) Zevran, for opening chests and disarming traps (since I missed Leliana), and either Alistair or Shale as a tank.

Shale's usually the better bet for keeping everyone alive, but having Alistair around is usually good for plot-progression.

You should be able to get Shale whenever you want, but I recommend doing so before fully exploring Ironforge Orgrimmar Orzammar. Specifically, before journeying through the Deep Roads.

Re: Dragon Age - 12/01/09 11:12 PM

If you get the digital deluxe edition you will get the stone prisoner and warden's keep + 3 more items, I think. You will get a sound track and some wallpapers, too.

This is buy far the best deal for this game, I find.

Re: Dragon Age - 12/01/09 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Demosthenes

You should be able to get Shale whenever you want, but I recommend doing so before fully exploring Ironforge Orgrimmar Orzammar. Specifically, before journeying through the Deep Roads.

A little too much WoWing there rotfl

Re: Dragon Age - 12/01/09 11:46 PM

thanks John
direct 2 drive is my confirmation I was just on the site before I read your post. I was getting ready to ask about direct 2 Drive digital download reliability and you posted the answer. bravo

EDIT...................
My DSL is not stable enough to download 7 gigs so I won't be using direct 2 drive. However, I did something I have never done before because it was a great deal I bought Dragon Age collection edition on ebay. The game is coming in a sealed box from the UK and will be here Monday hopefully. Since it is a sealed box and comes with the extra bonus items, I don't think I am getting ripped off. Has anyone else ever bought a new game off of ebay? If so I could use some re-assurance please.

Re: Dragon Age - 12/08/09 09:29 AM

RPGWatch brings news that a very hefty patch 1.02 fixing a lot of things in this game has been released by Bioware. Link to rpgwatch: http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9348

Before telling you something about what the patch does, here's a link to patch 1.02 at the Bioware social site:
http://social.bioware.com/page/da-patches (minor spoilers at this link...)

Here's the info about how thge patch affects gameplay and balance:

Quote:
Balance
•Daggers now apply 0.5 points of damage per additional point in dexterity and 0.5 points of damage per additional point in strength, as originally intended. This increases dagger damage for high-dexterity characters.
•During combat, mana or stamina reserves now correctly regenerate more quickly when reserves are low. This allows players to occasionally use an talent or spell in the later stages of lengthy fights.
•When exploring, mana and stamina now regenerate more quickly at higher character levels. This reduces downtime between fights.
•The spells Force Field, Crushing Prison, Cone of Cold, and Blizzard now have shorter durations and/or longer cooldowns. This ensures that combatants can no longer stun-lock each other by repeatedly casting the same spell.
•The cooldowns for several low-level sustained abilities are now shorter. This ensures that players are not penalized for accidentally deactivating them.
•Certain battles were not scaling properly, resulting in excessively difficult fights. They now scale as intended.
•Enemy corpses now drop health poultices and money more appropriately, resulting in less clutter in the player's inventory.

Gameplay

•In rare cases, enemy corpses were selectable when they contained no loot. This no longer occurs.
•Party members whose combat tactics were set to defensive behavior no longer stop attacking after using a spell or talent.
•In rare cases, combat tactics conditions could fail to determine whether a character had enough mana or stamina to use an ability. This no longer occurs.
•The Rally talent no longer repeats its audio effect if it is active during certain conversations.
•The Rally talent no longer deactivates upon area transitions or conversations.
•The Shimmering Shield spell now deactivates when the character is out of mana.

Posted By: MaG

Re: Dragon Age - 12/08/09 01:33 PM

Thanks, Karsten.

Re: Dragon Age - 12/08/09 02:13 PM

Hi Karsten smile

Thanks for yet more info !! praise

I see that three patches are now held [ HERE ]

Do you know if all of them should be applied or just the latest one ??

Cheers.

Mad grin

Re: Dragon Age - 12/08/09 03:25 PM

Mad, I couldn't find anything specifically answering that question, but reading the descriptions of the patches makes me think you need to download them all, or at least the B patch and then the new one.

Hopefully someone will be by with a definitive answer wave

Re: Dragon Age - 12/08/09 09:19 PM

There is a hotfix for patch 1.01a as well as 1.01b. I have no idea whether or not these will work or is required for the patch 1.02, though.

Re: Dragon Age - 12/08/09 10:04 PM

Bioware's patch page reads:

"You do not need to download patches prior to Patch 1.02. Downloading Patch 1.02 contains all previous patches. Downloading Patch 1.02 will provide you with all patch data available."

This is one of those times I'm thankful for Steam's auto-patching service.

Re: Dragon Age - 12/08/09 11:17 PM

Thanks Demosthenes--I went to Bioware but missed seeing that wave

Re: Dragon Age - 12/09/09 01:45 AM

So did I !!!! So thanks from me too, Demosthenes thumbsup

Re: Dragon Age - 12/09/09 02:34 PM

Does anyone know if you can finish the main quests and then go back and work on the side quests or does the game just end?
Posted By: toger

Re: Dragon Age - 12/09/09 04:26 PM

Until you get to the Landsmeet quest, you should be able to do side quests after any of the other main quest lines are completed. After Landsmeet, things start happening really fast and depending on where you go and what you do, you may not be able to fully complete a couple of side quests.

Landsmeet doesn't happen until you've gathered your army.

Re: Dragon Age - 12/11/09 02:37 PM

I want to thank everyone that recommended this great game I think I have been playing 12 hours straight talk about a game being addicting! bravo

I bought the collectors edition on Ebay at a great price and it is a UK version. I didn't get warden keep as a bonus but I did get

Shale
Blood armor (which I am disappointed because I won't be able to wear that for a long time the strength level is so high)

Now here is where I need your help
I am suppose to get 3 more bonuses they are

Bergens honor
final reason
Grimore the frozen waste

I registered my 3 with one registeration number is all that was needed. However I am not seeing anything appear all I get is this message

Collector's Edition
A collection of three special items exclusive to the Dragon Age: Origins Collector's Edition. You'll receive one item immediately. The others are available from Bodahn in the party camp. Thank you, and enjoy!

Does anyone understand where I get the 1 item immediately? Who is Bodahn? I am with the Grey Warden in a town Ostager. I am a human noble rouge and haven't done the ritual yet. Please can you tell me how to get the 2 other free bonus items in camp? Which item is available immediately?

Thanks whoever helps me because nothing downloaded to my game content only on the profile on the browser for downloaded content. Does any of this make sense? think

Re: Dragon Age - 12/11/09 04:34 PM

Hi Sherrayah smile

Glad you're enjoying the game smile

I think you need to go the Bioware Social Site, find your profile and under that find redeem promo code. You should have recived a promo code (free) for the three additional items.

You'll need to log into your account from the game launcher (I think) and then check the DLC tab. If this doesn't work, something is wrong with the DA updater service.

Sadly, I haven't gotten the game yet, but I know you can find help at the Bioware Social Site in the Bioware forums. You can always ask or reead what you'll need to do over there.

Bodahn is a merchant that'll appear in your camp.
You get access to your camp, I think? after finishing Orzammer?

Bonus Info:
In the Bioware General forums for Dragon Age: Origins people are writing very funny stories in the form of secret diaries of Leliana, Dog or the
Human Noble. They're really good and creative. And did I mention they're funny, too...
Posted By: toger

Re: Dragon Age - 12/11/09 05:03 PM

You will not meet Bodahn until Lothering - after both the joining and Ostagar.

With regard to the immediately available items: when you fire up the game, it should log into the Dragon Age servers. In the menu of "resume, load, etc" there should be an option titled Downloadable content. If you click that option, it should show you everything that's available for download, including any bonus items. That's how I found my bonus items.

Full disclosure: I played on the 360; however, it should work similarly.
Posted By: Asha'man

Re: Dragon Age - 12/11/09 05:40 PM

Sherryah : Karsten and Toger are correct you will meet up with Bodhan in your parties " campsite " once you progress that far in the game. It actually doesn't take very long . . . once you reach Lothering and are able to strike out on your own one of the options available to you from the " World Map " or travel screen is " Camp " it will be in the top right hand part of your screen, and that basically takes you to a spot where you can talk with each member of your group you have picked up so far, as well as access to a merchant and a rune worker . . . the merchant ( aka Bodhan ) will have the items ( as well as the rest of the Blood Armor ) you redeemed with the code in his inventory.

Re: Dragon Age - 12/11/09 06:16 PM

This thread has become unwieldy. There are now 2 threads---one for hints and one for general discussion.

Click here for newer Hints and Helps thread

Click here for Party makeup and general chat about the game.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community