GB HOMEPAGE

Everquest II vs World of Warcraft

Posted By: JeanK

Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/03/10 04:12 AM

Hey all:

Any of you doing either of these games? I've been playing Wow for almost 4 years and have just started playing Everquest II, Sentinals Fate online. Both games are fantastic, but there are interesting differences between, and I wondered if any of you have, or are playing them, and what differences you've found.

World of Warcraft is more popular and much more smoother running, but it's been kind of "dumbed down" lately to appeal to mass audiences. Mobs are easier to kill and quests are much easier. Everquest, on the other hand (and I've only been playing for a few weeks), seems to be more complicated, more like a traditional rpg, (except, of course, online). Even at lower levels attacking one mob can bring 3 or 4 on you.

I've also gone back to adventure gaming. Can you tell I don't have a life? lol

Jean
Posted By: Mugsy

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/03/10 05:49 PM

Hi Jean,
Thanks for asking this question, I've been wondering what Everquest is like. I've been a WoW player for years but I haven't tried EQ and have often wondered if I should check it out too. I've never been into serious raiding in WoW and lately I've been getting even more discouraged that the main emphasis in the game seems to be on the raiding element and gear scores. I appreciated the achievement feature they introduced into the game, at least achievements are something a person can work on solo. It still irritates me that unless you do arena's or raid your level 80's will never have a hope of getting any really nice gear. wave

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/03/10 07:12 PM

Hi Mugsy:

I agree with you totally about Wow and the serious raiding. I was a member of several raiding guilds this past year, and it got so intense and unpleasant with the bickering of members of the guild, that I quit raiding. It was getting to be too much like a job, and not enough fun. I still play, but do about 3 instances a day on my priest, and that's about it.

What got me aggravated two was the cross-server randoms. Now that they are cross server there is really no accountability and people are getting worse. Tanks run in without checking with the group to see who is ready, and it can get to be messy (I play a priest so this is my pet peeve). Hopefully blizz will hear enough complaints and do something about it. I have four 80s so I'm not going to quit, but I'm spending less time there.

You can do a 2 week free trial on Everquest by going to their website and trying it out. I ended up joining because someone asked me to join their guild and you can't without subscribing. Give it a try -- there's nothing to lose.

It's more complicated than Wow and the combat is harder at a lower level than in Wow. There's a lot more to their professions -- I haven't gotten it figured out yet. guilds have guild halls, and you can buy and furnish a house. As I said, I'm only a level 27 so don't know a whole lot yet, but it's fun to do something different.

One drawback is the first time you download the game, or go to new areas, there is a bit of a wait for the area to download. After that it's faster. The game itself loads much slower than Wow -- sometimes takes 5 minutes.

Oh, they have collectibles. Things you pick up from the ground with question marks over them, that you can start collections of and get some type of reward for when you have enough. Don't know yet since I haven't finished one yet.

I hope you try it. I've met several Wow deserters there, lol.

Jean
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/03/10 08:36 PM

You know you can get Tier 9 gear by doing Heroic Dungeons, yes?

I really like the achievements too, and am having a great time doing dungeons with hubby.

Do you guys know that we have a GameBoomers guild on Drakka?

Jean, I have to agree with you about tanks that never think of mana users. But we've had many more good experiences than bad ones.

I've never played Everquest though, but I think my next door neighbor did before he switched to WoW.

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/03/10 10:35 PM

Jean and L4L,

Thank you both for your thoughts on EQ and WoW, I think I will be giving EQ a try. I still enjoy WoW but as you said Jean the game play seems to have changed lately and not in a good way. I can relate to the lack of consideration for the mana users too Jean. Blame the priest if you die, but don't ever bother to come prepared for the battle. I have a level 80 feral druid and I chuckle when asked to pop out of bear or kitty to do a (quick) rez or heal after we lose a healer. After I've managed to gain the attention of the mobs you want me to pop into human form and rez and heal without dieing, sure thing lol. I want to ask them what don't they understand about the concept of a "feral" druid. How about everyone keep the mobs off the healers and come prepared with potions and flasks instead. hardwall rotfl

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/03/10 11:32 PM

Hi you two:

I've done so many of the randoms dungeons I can do them in my sleep, lol. I play the priest most of the time and she's in almost all tier 10. I don't play my other 80s much. I have a mage who has some frost gear, a restro/feral druid who is in some tier 9 and a warlock who is pretty much forgotten, lol.

If I had the extra money I'd transfer my toons over to the Gameboomers guild on Drakka. I'm going to keep it in mind, and when I get extra do that. That would be so much fun! Right now money is tight though. What classes do you have Looney?

Mugsy I can relate to what you are saying about feral druids. Before I dual specced mine to restro I can't tell you how many people got mad cause I said I'm not specced for healing. I never did any tanking with her. I really like the bear tanks -- they are the easiest for me to keep alive. What server are you on Mugsy?

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/04/10 12:33 AM

I wish I could do dungeons in my sleep Jean, I'm clumsy enough even wide awake. grin The toons I play the most are on currently on Perenolde. I have an 80 Destro Lock and also a 80 Elemental Shammy as well as the druid I mentioned.

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/04/10 12:42 AM

I've just run them over and over and over so much. That said, Forge of Souls, Pit of Saron and Halls of Reflection keep me on my toes. I hate Halls of Reflection. And I never made it past the 2nd boss in ICC. By the time I got there I got tired of all the guild and instance drama. My toons right now are on Sisters of Elune.

I have a 76 elemental shammy that I love playing, but just don't have time right now. Which is your favorite class?

My little mage hit 28 today on Everquest!

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/04/10 03:00 AM

Congrats on leveling to 28 today Jean. What is the level cap in EQ ?
My favorite class is my druid. I love the versatility of the class. My favorite form is the kitty dps for all the soloing I do. Flight form rocks too.

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/04/10 05:08 PM

Jean, I have an 80 Hunter on Drakka (SnowOwl) and and 80 Mage on Burning Blade (Owlheart).

I obviously have a split personality as I miss my mage while I'm playing my hunter and I miss my pet when I'm playing my mage. rotfl

I also have a Druid that I really want to level and I want to do a Shaman and a rogue.....

I'm getting more comfortable in the Dungeons but I'm sure not able to do them in my sleep.

Soot has an 80 Resto Pally. We haven't started raiding yet as we've been trying to gear! We didn't run any dungeons when we were leveling, so we had a long way to go.

But we finally have 4 pieces of T9.....

Twill be fun to raid if we can find a group wave

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/05/10 05:28 AM

Hi All:

I've been busy on Wow and Everquest all day, and can't see straight, lol. Don't know how I'll sleep tonight. In Wow I finally got the blue drake drop from Oculus!

Mugsy, EQ level cap is 90. It seems easy to level so far, but I'm not sure if that will slow down later on.

A friend of mine is playing EQ with me. What is really neat is they have the mentoring system, where if you group with someone a lower level than you you can "mentor" them by becomming their level as long as you want to. That way they still get all their xp and you're not just running them through with your higher level toons. I usually don't want a higher level running me through in Wow cause I like to learn how to fight.

Looney, lol at the split personality. I know how you feel. I complain about the pressure of being a healer, but when I play my other toons I keep thinking about healing. Maybe I'll paly my shammy tomorrow. How many people do you have in your Gameboomers guild Looney?

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/05/10 04:44 PM

JeanK, that is great! Hubby got the blue on his third run there, but I'm still waiting waiting waiting. lol

I'll have to count members in the Guild...I'm thinking 9 or 10, with lots of alts?

Are you working on Children's Week stuff?

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/06/10 12:35 AM

Hi Looney:

Is it Children's Week already? The year went by fast. No I've only done it once. My attention span doesn't last quite that long, lol. Last thing I did like that was the Valentine's Day Stratholm instance. That was kind of fun.

I haven't been on yet today - had a lot of real life stuff going on. May try later tonight.

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/06/10 02:11 AM

Yeppers, the time does fly.

I hate when real life interferes with my wow life rotfl

Hubby and I usually play at night now instead of watching tv.....he is a recent convert to dungeons.

I hope you get to play some wave
Posted By: luv2travel

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/06/10 06:01 AM

Hi Mugsy, JeanK and L4L!
I've been in WoW for about a year now, thanks to L4L's help when I started. (Time flies eek)
I have a Night Elf Hunter, a Human Mage, a Human Warlock, a Dwarf Rogue, a Dranei Pally and a DK Gnome. None are at 80 yet. Too much diversification. I'm in deep. All are on Draka.
I belong to the GB Guild and enjoy myself very much. Been doing random dungeons, and have had a good time with only a couple of bad experiences, which I expected anyway. Hope to meet you in-game sometime!
Andrea wave

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/07/10 01:28 AM

Hi luv2travel!

It's good to meet another Wower! You've really been busy in one year. smile I think it took me longer than that to get a lot of toons. What do you like to play the most?

I was able to play some today. I did a couple of randoms, and then on the weekly got into a 10-man pug for Ulduar so got that done. I'll be glad when the expansion comes out. I think people are still saying November. Sure wish it was out sooner.

I'm playing EQ tonight. Darn the mobs attack in groups. The combat can be much tougher than in Wow at low levels.

What kind of a server is Draka? So far I've only tried rp servers (although I don't rp). I don't have the nerve to do pvp -- I'm horrible at it.

Jean lol

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/07/10 04:19 AM

Hi Jean!

Draka is a normal pve server. I don't do pvp either. That's not my idea of fun.
I like all of them. They're each different and special in their own way.
I started on my HP laptop that was 3 years old when I began WoW a year ago. That machine was used everyday and had 4 major repairs in 3 years. I had purchased the 3 year service contract with the purchase from BestBuy. on the last incident last spring, Best Buy let me turn it in for a brand new machine. Another HP. It doesn't have a good video card, just a generic intel, and isn't a good gaming machine. Found out it wouldnt play Mass Effect 2. It's a good basic machine, though. I decided to purchase a refurbished Asus G50 with Nvidea video card and better sound, and it cost half of what a new one was if Asus still made it. I love my new machine, it works great and I couldn't be happier with it. It's what I use now for gaming only.
I'm having so much fun with WoW. The only other MMORPG I had played before was Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean. I had bought the original WoW a long time ago but couldn't get into it until L4L helped me start. Thanks my friend!
Andrea wave

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/18/10 06:22 PM

Hey all:

I had the most frustrating thing happen last night in Wow. I got into a pug for Halls of Reflection, and the battered hilt dropped off the first boss. Since it's something everyone can make a weapon from, we should have all rolled greed. I rolled first, unfortunately, and rolled greed. Everyone rolled need after me. I was furious. I was so mad I quit the group.

I'm getting more and more frustrated with the people on Wow. Maybe I'll get into a more active guild so I don't have to do random pugs. Usually if people know each other, or are on the same server, they're more careful with what they do, as they don't want to risk their reputations on the server.

On an up side, I found a guild who said they'd be happy to let me raid with them one day a week, rather than 2 or 3. I don't want the pressure of raiding a couple days a week, so this will be perfect.

Still having loads of fun on Everquest! My mage is 38 now. She'd have been higher but a could of my Wow friends joined and I've been helping them out.

Jean

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/18/10 11:21 PM

Hi Jean,
Sorry you had such a frustrating experience in your WoW group yesterday. Unfortunately rudeness and inconsiderate players can't be weeded out. We can only hope that Karma will eventually come around to even things out, and it's been my experience in life that it usually does. grin

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/19/10 02:12 AM

I agree, Mugsy.
I have been dong PUGs as well, and always choose greed except in very rare circumstances. It has to be something I can really use. As a result, I rarely come away with much of anything. Once in a while I get lucky, but mostly not. When I first started doing PUGs I didn't know what to do, and chose need for something I really couldn't use. I was chewed out by the dungeon leader in a very nasty way. Learned my lesson right away. Now I notice some dungeon leaders choose need for everything and never think of the other group members at all. That makes me angry, but there's nothing I can do about it, so....sigh.
I just try to enjoy myself. Some groups are very good.
Andrea wave

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/19/10 04:41 AM

Hi Andrea,
I know what you mean, I seldomly choose need either. Some leaders are great and do try to make sure the runs are fair to all. I don't let it bother me, as the saying goes....it's only a game. grin

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/19/10 02:20 PM

Jean, so sorry you had that happen. I think that need/greed thing depends on the group. Some I've been with all roll need while others roll greed. I used to choose my roll as soon as it popped up, but now I wait to see how the group is going.

I really was afraid of pugging but I really wanted the dog. My sons randomed with me for awhile until I was more confident. Now I have no trouble pugging. I guess I've been lucky as I've only had the occasional bad group.

Now, bad rolls are another thing entirely. My roles are always low...rolled an 11 on a ring the other day. If Soot and I are rolling on the same thing, I promise he'll get it. rotfl

I got fussed at the other day for rolling on a sword whose stats I hadn't entirely read. But the funny thing was, the person who fussed at me couldn't use it either. I offered to give her the sword, and she got off my back. lol That is a first for me though.

I'm glad you found a more casual raiding guild...that's the type of raiding that Soot and I will want to do too, once we are geared enough.

How does the Everquest mage compare to the WoW mage?

Mugsy, I laugh everytime that "wow tip" about being polite pops up on my screen.

Andrea, we don't get much anymore as we've gotten most of the gear we can use....so now we just routinely choose disenchant.

Son always chooses Master Looter so the drops are fair....I had to laugh as on the only thing that dropped that I could use was my famous 11 roll. rotfl

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/20/10 04:39 AM

I getting such a chuckle from your comments L4L. I'm a constant low roller too. A good sense of humor sure comes in handy in this game. rotfl

Re: Everquest II vs World of Warcraft - 05/20/10 10:48 PM

Hi all:

I'm feeling better today, but still a bit grumbly. Next time I'll wait for other people to roll first before I do.

I do at least 3 randoms a day, so have a lot of experience with different types of groups. Some are much better than others. I had a Culling of Stratholme group yesterday where the tank said immediately he didn't like Strat and he always got lost. He trailed along behind us, lol. It was so funny. Then, before the gauntlet he said he had to go eat dinner and left. Which was kind of good cause we got a better tank. lol

Everquest is so much more detailed, Looney. It's going to take me forever to learn the game. It kind of reminds me of the old rpgs, more so than wow does. My mage seems to have many more spells than in Wow. I've only done a couple of groups with her so far, so can't really say how it compares to mages in groups to Wow.

On a general note, in Wow you can only choose 2 professions, and so unless you are cooking or fishing you can only gather what you need for those professions. In Everquest anyone can gather anything, and you actually have to level that skill up because they have quests that require you to gather stuff. That was something I didn't realize and yesterday spent all day fishing, gathering herbs, chopping wood, and mining. lol. I think you decide which trade you want from those things. I haven't started one yet because I'm basically lazy, but I have a guild member who said he'd help, so I guess I will soon, lol.

In Wow, I haven't heard anything lately from the casual raiding guild. They said they'd let me know when they're ready to start, so I'm looking forward to it.

I roll low too, especially when I need something. But once I'm geared, I win all the rolls, lol. It's the weirdest thing.

Well, off to finish my last Wow random and then on to EQ!

© 2024 GameBoomers Community