GB HOMEPAGE

Portal 2 - an adventure game?

Posted By: RNL

Portal 2 - an adventure game? - 02/23/11 09:16 PM

From Wiki:
"Portal 2 was a strong favorite of gaming journalists from closed-door previews at the 2010 E3 convention.
The Game Critics Awards, selected by a large number of journalists and critics, awarded Portal 2 the title of Best PC Game and Best Action/Adventure Game,[78] and nominated the game for Best of Show and Best Console Game.[79] IGN named Portal 2 as its Best of E3 for PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 systems as well as Best Puzzle Game, further nominating the game as Best Overall Game.[80]
Gamespy named Portal 2 the Best Overall Game and Best Puzzle Game of E3.[81] Portal 2 has also won the Spike VGA award for "Most Anticipated Game for 2011."

With one of the mentions here being 'adventure' will Gameboomers catagorize this as an adventure and be covering this game?
I played the original Portal and personally thought of it as an adventure game.

It is supposed to be out in April 2011 I believe as well.
Posted By: Becky

Re: Portal 2 - an adventure game? - 02/23/11 09:33 PM

When the original Portal was released, our Dark Side expert played it and said that it seemed more of an action adventure than a traditional adventure. I haven't played it myself, but my understanding is that many of the challenges are timed. Did you find that many of the challenges required quick thinking or quick reflexes?
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Portal 2 - an adventure game? - 02/23/11 09:45 PM

I have Portal and do not consider it an adventure game. I consider it more of a platformer.

Ana wave
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: Portal 2 - an adventure game? - 02/23/11 10:42 PM

Did you enjoy the game Ana?
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Portal 2 - an adventure game? - 02/23/11 10:58 PM

I'm not good at those games, but it was fun watching the kids play. It was on a console with gamepads.

Portal 2 is definitely not an adventure game. You can watch the trailers here.

I'll move this to the DArkSide.

Ana wave
Posted By: RNL

Re: Portal 2 - an adventure game? - 02/23/11 11:46 PM

Guess my first attempt at a reply to you was lost in the move to the darkside.

Thanks for the replies. There certainly is some quickness needed especially if you want to get some of those gaming trophies my kids go after. The mention of the game being an 'adventure' by some is what led to the question. The darkside is fine with me.

Interesting I never thought of it being a platformer as I envision my kids playing Mario games when they were younger. This game had more to do than just scroll to the right. But I have little experience with platformer games to know if you can do anything else. Nor am I going to take much effort to find out.

Portal - the humor was great, and that only continues on with Portal 2 along with a 2 person cooperative mode that will be fun to do with the kids, it will be a good lesson for them to learn more patience with the old man.
Posted By: Becky

Re: Portal 2 - an adventure game? - 02/24/11 07:49 AM

The cooperative mode sounds interesting. I sometimes game with my son, and he does have to be patient with me when we do. grin He's much faster at just getting around the game world than I am.
Posted By: Karsten

Re: Portal 2 - an adventure game? - 02/24/11 05:50 PM

I only know about the original Portal because of gamers' referring to 'cake' and 'lie'. I need to play it soon, I think..
Posted By: Lex

Re: Portal 2 - an adventure game? - 02/25/11 10:57 AM

A brilliant and most enjoyable game virtually in a category of its own: sort of puzzle/action with some speed needed but success achievable even for those less nimble by repetition in most situations.

Interesting to see it categorised as a platformer: it certainly has some similar attributes although with more dimensions.
Posted By: ray

Re: Portal 2 - an adventure game? - 02/26/11 01:13 AM

Actually, RNL, no one in your quote refers to Portal as an adventure game. It's referred to as a Puzzle game or an Action/Adventure game. Action/Adventure is a completely distinct genre from Adventure.

I think of the Portal games as their own genre: Puzzle Action.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community