GB HOMEPAGE

The witcher 2

Posted By: oldman

The witcher 2 - 03/18/11 03:46 AM

Hi all,

Just got this email from the Witcher folks and although I have no questions and will probably not participate, some here might find it interesting and want to join in. Plus there's a chance for a free game. happydance
Quote:
This Friday, We Take Your Questions

This Friday, the 18th of March, everyone who's preordered The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings from GOG.com is invited to a live Q&A with Senior Producer Tomasz Gop, and Head of Marketing & PR for GOG Trevor Longino.

The Q&A will start at 17:00 GMT, and during the presentation we'll be showing some unpublished work-in-progress materials from Geralt's model creation live for the first time ever. Preordering The Witcher 2 on GOG is free - you don't have to pay until you download the game - and you can do so by visiting them at www.gog.com/tw2. Make sure you preorder by 12:00 noon GMT on the 17th or you'll miss out!

P.S. GOG will award one free classic game to every person whose question is picked to be answered during the Q&A, so be sure to attend for your chance to win a free game.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/18/11 04:11 AM

THanks oldman!

Ana wave
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/18/11 01:02 PM

Thanks Oldman wave

I wonder if the new game is only going to be available via download?
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/18/11 03:05 PM

They told me it would also be available in a boxed set. That's what I'm waiting for...
Posted By: Karsten

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/18/11 04:39 PM

The Witcher 2 will both be available as download and a boxed set. There's a really, really nice Collector's Edition for The Witcher 2. And the boxed set available is also ver nice, with some nice stuff in it. The download for The Witcher 2 will be on GOG (goodoladgames) and drm free...

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/18/11 05:04 PM

I love Boxed CE's. I will have to look for it. thanks
Posted By: Dunn Tawkin

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/18/11 10:16 PM

I want the boxed set also.

Dunn
Posted By: Mad

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/19/11 01:55 AM

I have the boxed set already pre-ordered from Play.Com thumbsup

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/19/11 02:30 AM

Mad, why am I not surprised?! lol
Posted By: misslilo

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/19/11 05:21 AM

Wasn't the latest news from GOG, that their own Pre-Order will be the only version totally DRM free?

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/19/11 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: misslilo
Wasn't the latest news from GOG, that their own Pre-Order will be the only version totally DRM free?

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think the word from CD Project (who owns GOG) still is that both the pre-order version, and the regular version of Witcher 2 will be DRM free.

However, I'm not sure if you have to pre-order to get the (boxed) version of the CE of Witcher 2.

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/19/11 04:55 PM

Karsten I think that's correct. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that all versions will be DRM free.
Posted By: misslilo

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/19/11 05:05 PM

According to one of their own news the version on GOG WILL be the only digitally download with no DRM.
So, if people buy if it from other download sites, they will get some form of DRM.
Posted By: Pokey

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/19/11 07:14 PM

I just clicked on "Preorder Now" to get more information and was notified that I just preorderd the game and could now download the goodies. I don't know if they are holding my credit card information. There is no way I could download the game with my slow connection. Seems like I should have a chance to say yes or no first.

Later...their email indicates that they don't have my credit card info but I told them to cancel any preorder.

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/19/11 08:17 PM

I wonder about Steam and the others - but then Steam has their own version of DRM. But I'm almost positive that I read somewhere that all the other versions will be DRM free too.
Posted By: traveler

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/20/11 05:20 AM

I think misslillo is right. There are still questions on the forum about DRM. It seems the boxed version will have a limited type of DRM...maybe a one time activation...but as far as I can tell, it's only the downloaded version from GOG that will be completely DRM free.

Gil.

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/20/11 02:57 PM

Maybe I worded it wrong then. All GOG versions will have no DRM for The Witcher 2. Steam will use Steam's DRM, and the boxed version will have some form of DRM (that's decided by the publisher). However, CD Project is also a publisher.

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/20/11 03:03 PM

Guess we'll just have to wait and find out!

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/20/11 05:56 PM

Here's a link for you

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=56967

And a quote too:

Quote:
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Digital Premium Edition to be DRM-Free only on GOG.com

We're happy to announce GOG's version of highly-anticipated RPG will not contain DRM as all other downloadable versions will.

With the exception from the "good, old games" rule by offering The Witcher 2, we wanted to transfer all the GOG values to a new AAA title. Thanks to a close cooperation with our sister company CD Projekt RED, the developer of The Witcher franchise, we've managed to get the best deal for the digital edition of the game. With today's announcement of GOG's version being the only one fully DRM-free in digital download, the deal gets even more unrivaled.

Original Source:
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/101960-the-witcher-2-will-be-drm-free-on-gog-live-qaa-on-friday.html

It seems that the Digital Premium Edition will be the copy that GOG is selling. This could be wrong, but I think that the premium edition is the normal edition while the collector's edition is this one:

http://buy.thewitcher.com/preorder-collectors-en

And then there's this:

Quote:
Since the EU price is almost $16 more than the price in USD, we’re giving our EU customers a $16 credit to purchase anything on GOG.com.

I definetely need to support GOG more in the future...

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/20/11 11:36 PM

That's excellent info, Karsten. Thanks for posting it!

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/21/11 03:36 PM

thanks Karsten wave
Posted By: PeteS

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/27/11 06:21 PM

I just got a copy of The Witcher 2 Newsletter: March 2011 (email dated Mar 26, 2011) which contained info re the system requirements for The Witcher 2. (See quote below)

"Official System Requirements for The Witcher 2 are finally here!

We have what so many of you have been asking for: system requirements for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. This should help

you decide whether your gaming rig needs an update before May 17th.

Minimum Requirements:
Processor: Core 2Duo 2.2 GHz or dual core AMD 2.5 GHz
RAM: 1GB Win XP/ 2GB Vista/7
Graphics: GeForce 8800 512MB or Radeon (HD3850 512 MB)
HDD Space: 16 GB

Recommended Requirements:
Processor: Quad Core Intel or AMD
RAM: 3GB Win XP/ 4GB Vista/7
Graphics: GeForce 260 1GB or (HD4850 1GB)
HDD Space: 16 GB"

My Dell xps-410 has a core2duo E6600 2.4 ghz CPU and a nvidia geforce 7900 GS 256MB vid card. My vid card appears clearly to be below minimum spec. I guess that means I won't be pre-ordering the game at this time.

Any comments on why the Witcher 2 system requirements are as high as they are? Or are these system requirements typical for new Action title releases - and I'm just out-of-touch because I buy and play mainly Adventure Games?

Somewhat disappointed - to say the least.
Posted By: Marian

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/27/11 06:28 PM

Pete, I'd say these system requirements are going to be more and more standard for the rest of this year, at least as it pertains to action games/RPG-type games. Adventure games, not to this degree.

I must say that I did try to run the original Witcher with a 256-meg video card and it really wasn't adequate. I had to turn a lot of settings down in order to play the game, and it was still subpar.

It shouldn't cost you too much to upgrade your video card, however, assuming your system allows you to do so (but then of course you also have to make sure you have an adequate power supply for the new card, as well).

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/27/11 09:54 PM

Yup, PeteS, you can count on the requirements for games getting higher all the time to keep up with all the new technology out there. Your computer is pretty low on the totem pole for anything more than adventure gaming. And even adventure game requirements are going up to take advantage of all the cool stuff out there.

It wouldn't be impossible to upgrade your XPS 410 as the specs say it does have a PCI E (x16) slot. Unfortunately, it only has a 375 watt power supply which would really limit your choices. It also probably only has 1 GB of RAM too which is pretty puny even for XP.

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/31/11 06:22 PM

At http://www.rpgwatch.com/#17010 there is a preview for the Witcher 2 being made by n4G, they talked with Tom Ohle. And here's a little comment from him:

Quote:
In the first game there were a lot of quests where you ended up having to run back and forth between areas and you spent a lot of time like that, and then you say 'Oh, yeah it was 80 hours of gameplay'. Well, a lot of that was spent kind of running around the same areas", Ohle comments. "There's a lot more focus on trying to get to the point and spend more time exploring the world or actually being in gameplay."

As for system specs, the rpgs today now practically require more of both your computer (the core) and the graphics card, it seems.

There is also this article from the Escapist

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108699-Witcher-2-Combat-Overhauled-But-Not-Dumbed-Down

Re: The witcher 2 - 03/31/11 06:26 PM

Thanks Karsten wave

Re: The witcher 2 - 04/30/11 01:44 AM

Another newsletter from The Witcher 2 folks

Quote:
Hello everyone,
The RED team is back with an update straight from our Warsaw studios. We are less than four weeks away from release of The Witcher 2, which means only one thing! You will get to play it really soon! How does that sound, huh? In the meantime, you can read up on what's been going on in The Witcher's world over the past month.

Looks like we'll be seeing Geralt again in less than a month. (fingers crossed)

Re: The witcher 2 - 04/30/11 02:27 AM

"We are less than four weeks away from release of The Witcher 2, which means only one thing! You will get to play it really soon!"

Not all of us, oldman cry

My current machine has been upgraded as far as it's possible to upgrade it - but it's not good enough to run Witcher 2.
And I can't afford a new machine right now.

However, I did pre-order the game anyway, to ensure I have a copy when I can afford a new machine, so it will soon be plopping through my letterbox, at least laugh

Re: The witcher 2 - 04/30/11 03:42 AM

I can't wait!

Re: The witcher 2 - 04/30/11 03:48 PM

Hi Mad smile

My current machine is about 8 years old, and I'm pretty sure it can't run Witcher 2 as well. And like you, I can't afford to buy a new computer right now.

At Gametrailers there should be a combat overview as well as some rather beautifull looking screens from the game, presented in a slideshow - with the most beautiful msuic I've yet heard in an rpg.

Re: The witcher 2 - 04/30/11 05:36 PM

Thanks, Karsten smile

I've been scouting previews and screenshots etc - just to torment myself !!!! rotfl
Posted By: mcc

Re: The witcher 2 - 04/30/11 05:42 PM

The combat looks great and very versatile and because of this I guess it requires a long time to master the needed skills.

It doesn't come in time for Mothers Day frown

Re: The witcher 2 - 04/30/11 05:55 PM

Incentive, incentive! wave

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/06/11 03:30 PM

Amazon is offering $10 in credit if pre-ordered.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/06/11 05:58 PM

Thanks MCC, that's a nice offer especially since Amazon will match the lower price if you pre-order something and the price is later lowered. At least, they used to.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/07/11 06:20 PM

There's a second part of the video walkthrough up on gametrailers

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-gameplay-the-witcher/713622

Be sure to check it out, the world looks really, really living, dynamic and wonderful...

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/07/11 06:56 PM

Thanks Karsten wave
Posted By: hawkavonpuka

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/07/11 07:01 PM

That looks amazing!
Posted By: Templeton Peck

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/07/11 11:57 PM

I can't wait for this to be released.

Unlike with the original I'll have a computer that can run the game without any lag whatsoever.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/08/11 07:56 PM

Me too, Templeton Peck!

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/09/11 08:03 PM

According to rpgwatch there's a preview for this game on IGN http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/previews/60179/The-Witcher-2-Assassins-of-Kings-Preview/p2/c1/

Be sure to read this as this is a very good preview of the game. After the preview there are screenshots from the game, some which are not safe for work (nsfw). (mods - is this OK?)

There's also a video up on youtube showing 12 minutes of gameplay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50hbPeMLG5E&feature=player_embedded

This game really does sound and looks amazing. I'm just sad frown that I can't play it right now because my machine (8 years old in august) can't handle it - at all. Such is life, I guess.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/10/11 02:39 PM

Karsten, I suspect some of those nsfw images will be only available in European versions and not in the U.S.A.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/10/11 04:29 PM

I really don't know this, but it could be. But if you want to have them in your game, you can pre-order Witcher 2 from GOG. Or buy it from GOG as this version also is DRM free, it will require you to have an account on GOG, though.
Posted By: kjos

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/10/11 08:21 PM

Hi Karsten,I went to GOG and you can pre-download it now but it won't be released until 5/17. What do they mean. I pre-ordered it a while ago.
Richard

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/10/11 08:27 PM

Well I went ahead and pre-ordered with Amazon. Hopefully I'll be able to use the $10 discount with Skyrim in Novemember if if comes out in time. Amazon is showing a delivery date of 17 May but you know how those projected delivery dates go.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/10/11 10:10 PM

The Witcher 2 will be released on May 17th 2011; I think that's much a certain. I think I've seen it on rpgwatch that The Witcher 2 has gone gold.

As for the pre-load, yes you can pre-load it now, if you have pre-ordered it. But I think you still can pre-order it? or did this offer expire?

Anyware, after May 17th, the game will still be available on GOG.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/10/11 11:04 PM

oldman, I have this also pre-ordered in Amazon. I occasionally have done so and the game arrived the same day it was released. One word of caution though, normally the credit in these cases doesn't last that long, until December, but a few weeks, this doesn't bother me since I use Amazon to buy half of all my needs think

Karsten, I don't like to buy thinks that have been censored and DRM FREE is a big incentive also, but I am old fashion in the sense that I prefer boxed games, I know this is not forever and soon we all be using downloaded games.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/11/11 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: kjos
Hi Karsten,I went to GOG and you can pre-download it now but it won't be released until 5/17. What do they mean. I pre-ordered it a while ago.
Richard

I think that you can download 95% of the game now and start playing if you pay for it now. Then you can download the rest of the game on the 17th. They're just giving you a headstart on everybody else.

Gil.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/11/11 12:44 AM

Thanks so much traveler. That sure is good to know.
Sure is a big download 9.6 GB. Richard

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/11/11 02:31 AM

Ha! Not much bigger than the first one. The Witcher is 8GB and on my connection it's going to take 12 hours. Or so. But what could I do? It was only 5 bucks for the game! Considering how bad I am at RPG, that's probably a year's entertainment right there.

Gil.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/11/11 08:34 AM

".... but I am old fashion in the sense that I prefer boxed games, I know this is not forever and soon we all be using downloaded games."

I sincerely hope NOT !!

It's disk versions for me all the way yes

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/11/11 10:06 AM

Well the temptation was just too great. I got an email from GOG confirming the download and play now and finish downloading next week and couldn't resist. It is cheaper as well so I cancelled my pre-order with amazon and am downloading from GOG as I type. (The downloader indicates that it is an 8 hour download)

If all goes well I'll be playing Witcher 2 tomorrow. happydance broccoli burger

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/11/11 03:52 PM

We'll be eagerly awaiting your impressions of the game, John! smile

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/11/11 05:55 PM

I'm trying very hard to resist that same email!

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/11/11 06:00 PM

Just started to download witcher 2. Should take about a hour. Downloading at 2394 KB/s.
Richard

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/11/11 06:31 PM

RPGWatch has a feature article about this game. based on hands-on-preview of the game. Noteworthy to a lot of gameboomers might be this:

Quote:
The basic presentation is much the same - The Witcher 2 is a 3rd-person action/RPG controlled from an over-shoulder view using typical WASD + mouselook conventions although the alternative, overhead point-and-click system is gone. The style is clearly influenced by (earlier) BioWare, with a stronger focus on story and characters than freeform exploration.
(I've added the part in bold)

I'm quoting this as I know some of us (or many?) want this information. Also, I think it is the first preview-hands-on I've ever seen that mentions how the gameplay, and the game is controlled.

Here's a lengthy quote about the (changed) combat:

Quote:
As you'd expect, many of the abilities relate to combat, which is where the greatest changes have been applied. The previous timing-based "chains" have been replaced by a more active system. Left-click delivers a fast blow, while a right-click delivers a slower, heavier blow. You can also actively block, although you might still take some damage, and skills add the ability to riposte and counter-attack. The choice of silver or steel sword plus quick or heavy blows still brings a sense of tactics, like the first game, but against intelligent enemies the system really shines. Timing is still important but its more organic, finding an opening in your opponent's guard and taking advantage when they are stunned or off-balance.

And in conclusion:

Quote:
I was honestly disappointed when the time-limit on the preview code expired - there's little doubt The Witcher 2 will be one of the biggest RPGs of the year and I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. The combat is improved, the writing is better, there appears to be more choices - and the brooding Eastern European atmosphere is intoxicating. I can't wait to for the release.

As we have witness in other previews, this game definetely looks amazing. If it even lives up to 1/10th of the hype, well...

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/11/11 07:22 PM

Oops! Looks like the play now portion of the game was mis-read by me. After I downloaded I read the email again and it said pre-download now and play the game on the 17th. It appears that the main *.exe file to install the game and everything is being held up until next Tuesday as I re read the email. So, I'll have to wait until Tuesday to get the last file to install the game. I should be a real short file though since I've already downloaded so much.

Don't understand the benefit though except that I'll have less to download on Tuesday and can get to playing all that much quicker.

Did get a free RPG out of it though. Can download one of 5 RPG's
Quote:
Beyond Divinity, Divine Divinity, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania 2, or Realms of Arkania 3.

Oh well, it is cheaper than the boxed version and I already have 95% of it downloaded so next Tuesday, if all goes well, I should be able to download the balance and be playing right away.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/11/11 07:22 PM

Almost finished downloading the game and it paused. Couldn't do anything else.
Will it be all right to shut my pc off. I guess it's finished downloading.
Richard

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/11/11 08:45 PM

Almost finished downloading the game and it paused. Couldn't do anything else.
Will it be all right to shut my pc off. I guess it's finished downloading.
Richard

If the brown bar is filled up then it has finished. I guess the final download (in order to play the game) has to be done on the 17th.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/12/11 01:23 AM

I see they dealt with the download.

I kept thinking,everybody & their brother was going to be downloading at the same time.

I opted for a boxed version.

Games of this caliber, I like to have the boxed
version. Call me different, that's just the way I am. lol

happy times a-coming, that's for sure grin

Dunn Tawkin

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/12/11 02:13 AM

Me, too, Dunn!!

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/13/11 04:49 PM

Just got word my disk version has shipped bravo

So even if I can't play it for a year or two I will be able to pick it up, look at it and put it down again !! snicker

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/13/11 05:19 PM

Mad rotfl

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/13/11 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Mad
Just got word my disk version has shipped bravo

So even if I can't play it for a year or two I will be able to pick it up, look at it and put it down again !! snicker

I understand this completely!! lol

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/13/11 05:41 PM

I am just copying my saved games from The Witcher that I played in an XP to my W7, I hope it works fine as long as is in the Documents folder.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/13/11 09:34 PM

Me too Mcc, let us know please and luck

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/14/11 08:58 AM

I think I've read somewhere that if you have a save somewhere on your computer that the Witcher 2 reads it automatically...?

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/14/11 09:05 PM

That will be great if it does. wave
Posted By: Zenger

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/15/11 11:01 AM

Have You seen the trailers that have been released a couple of days ago?, They are really awesome bravo. I like this one especially... that music... so epic happydance

Two days.. only Two days... rah rah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HedLjjlSy3Y

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/15/11 02:20 PM

Awesome really awesome taz but it makes me doubt if I'll be able to play at that speed think

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/15/11 07:58 PM

Here's another trailer. This time from gametrailers.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-hope-the-witcher/713860

Please listen to the music. And yes, it is Chopin that plays. Thanks to Mechanical Lemon on the Obsidian forums for finding this.It is, apparently, Chopins Nocturne No. 1 that plays.
Very beautilful, it is, too I might add.

On a sidenote, someone has seen a hidden message in one these trailers stating that the first dlc will be released along with the game - on May 17th - for free.

Edit:

There is also a totalle revamped or re-witchered website..

http://www.en.thewitcher.com/

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/15/11 08:52 PM

thanks Zenger, and Welcome wave

thanks Karsten wave

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/15/11 09:10 PM

Does anyone know if The Witcher 2 explains the ending of the first?

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/15/11 10:52 PM

I'm not sure, but I think that maybe it does. It certainly builds upon the story on the first. If it is explained, we'll see.
Posted By: looney

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/16/11 12:45 AM

Is it tuesday yet??? happydance

I have a question - Karsten you said

Quote:
I think I've read somewhere that if you have a save somewhere on your computer that the Witcher 2 reads it automatically...?

How does the saved games from W1 effect Witcher 2? I got a new computer not long ago and I haven't played W1 on it so I don't have any saved games.

I have no problem at all loading that baby up and playing again if it'll have an effect!

And the most important thing I have to know ... is that blasted Kikimore Queen still dead? crazy

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/16/11 10:44 AM

Thank You looney4labs grin

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/16/11 09:32 PM

In this thread at the Bioware forums

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/13/index/5214483/82

it is mentioned by Darth Caine that The Witcher 2 allows you to 'make your TW1 choices at the start of TW2".

I think I've read somewhere that you'll chose your choices from a list...

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/17/11 01:32 PM

Mine arrives today rah

What I don't like is that apparently has SecuRom as protection, if I were rich I would buy the download from GOG and the boxed version to keep.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/17/11 01:46 PM

bravo mcc!

You will have to let us know what you think. wave

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/17/11 01:59 PM

I will as soon I start playing it but it arrives today "late" depending on UPS work. After installation I should know if it is recognizing my saves.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/17/11 05:08 PM

The boxed version will have, I think, securom installation activation, also known as securom release control. It just means that people can't play the game before a certain date and time on that date, e.g. today the 17th of May, has passed.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/17/11 06:45 PM

Well I've installed the game and played a couple of prologue quests. So far the Graphics are great, the mouse pointer is sluggish, the game only has one option for movement that's keyboard and turn with mouse. It doesn't flow as well as Witcher 1 and the combat is nothng like Witcher 1 plus there are more options for combat that I haven't learned yet like ducking dodging etc. Geralt can climb ladders and descend down some places that are meant to be descended down by clicking on the right mouse button.

Also I have my Witcher 1 saves in the documents folder where I played the original game and this game won't recognize them. That is a minor grievance though cause I don't know how that effects the game anyway.

So far I much prefer the original. I have progressed into the Prologue to the point where I can't figure out what to do so will have to wait until there are some players to ask a question.

It's the Barricade section and I'm supposed to kill the guards guarding the Barrista (which I did) and then aim and load the Barrista and fire a bolt. I load the bolt and it fires and then I have to fight some more guards. Can't figure out how to aim it. So here I am in the prologue and can't progress.

If someone comes along who gets this done maybe they can tell me what I need to do.

As a sidebar if you're squeemish about sex, nudity and four letter words, be cautious. I'm definitely not but I can see how it would offend some.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/17/11 07:09 PM

thanks

Thank You oldman for your impressions grin

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/17/11 07:11 PM

oldman,I'm at the same spot you are. I keep firing the Barrista but nothing happens. How did you kill the guards guarding the Barrista?
Richard

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/17/11 07:14 PM

I think I've seen somewhere (maybe on the Bioware forums) that you can use a gamepad for this game -and that it is much much better to do so, especially in combat.

Also, let me see what I can find out about the ballista...

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/17/11 07:15 PM

I've found three early reviews of this game so far and they are all pretty much raving about it and saying how good it is. Hope you guys figure out how to get past the prologue very soon!

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/17/11 07:17 PM

I've read that the combat is more arcade oriented and maybe more focused to be played with pad?

I've also read that the normal difficulty is hard

Is that true?

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/17/11 07:27 PM

oldman,I'm at the same spot you are. I keep firing the Barrista but nothing happens. How did you kill the guards guarding the Barrista?
Richard

Well I'm on easy level and keep clicking on the right mouse key and then the left alternately and they just die. I've had no problem with that so far although I so..........prefer the combat system in the original Witcher.

I hope someone here gets past this stupid barrista and let's me know how it was done. Right now I don't even know what I'm doing wrong.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/17/11 07:52 PM

Here's one review that I was reading.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/17/11 07:55 PM

You have to complete two quick time events to launch the nearby ballista,what ever that means.
Richard

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/17/11 07:55 PM

thanks

Thank You Marian grin ... let's see grin...

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/17/11 08:06 PM

To launch the nearby ballista,you have to keep pressing the left mouse button to fill up the bar. Worked great.
Richard

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/17/11 08:10 PM

Richard! thumbsup

You're welcome, Zenger! smile

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/17/11 09:58 PM

Mine should arrive at any moment now, so I haven't started yet. However I already have found out that there are WTs available, at least for the beginning, If you Google it you can have your choice.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/17/11 10:01 PM

I'm following a WT makes it a lot easier.
Richard

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/17/11 10:32 PM

Thanks Kjos!

Oldman, did that work for you?

Thanks Marian. wave

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/17/11 11:39 PM

Does anybody know how to use the aard spell to knock down walls. Looking for a well so I can climb down it but I have to break down a wall. thanks
Richard

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/17/11 11:57 PM

When I start the game it says Witcheer 1 saves unavailable, I have them in my documents, does anyone know how to make them available?

I found out that if one copies the saves in the folder "savedgames" of Witcher 2 when the game starts asks if one wants to load a game. Maybe this is the way but I cannot do it tonight.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/18/11 12:32 AM

luck Mcc. Let us know how it works please. wave

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/18/11 03:42 AM

To launch the nearby ballista,you have to keep pressing the left mouse button to fill up the bar. Worked great.
Richard

thank you kjos. I was able to get through the Barricade section with your help. Could you tell me where you found a walkthrough?

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/18/11 03:55 AM

Oldman, I found an interesting one Here. luck

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/18/11 06:22 AM

Thanks L4L that looks like a good one.

kjos you should have the Ard spell loaded and just hit "Q" key on your keyboard.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/18/11 01:04 PM

Yes, if the saves are copied in the Witcher 2 folder in Documents the game finds them and when a New Game is selected it gives an option about importing the old games yay

I don't how this will change anything or how think

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/18/11 01:47 PM

I'm walking around in the sewers trying to find my way out. Found a ladder but came back down. Thanks oldman for the Q. Made it out of the sewers now trying to get away from the dragon.
Richard

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/18/11 06:25 PM

Well I've made it to chapter 1 and so far really like the storyline and the graphics. There is a lot to like about this game but I am a little disappointed in the controls and the leveling up. I now have to learn a completely new system and I was perfectly content with the original Witcher system.

I don't like to have to walk up to an item and wait for the game to tell me how to interact with it I prefered the Witcher 1 system of using the mouse to select. Sometime I pass an item and have to navigate around it to get the interact message. Plus the print that tells you what to do in this game is really small and hard to read.

speaking of small, the action sequences where you have to choose a key to complete an action and get through the sequence are also small and quick sometimes by the time I figure out which key to hit I missed it. At least in TR and other games the key you were supposed to hit flashed in really large letters so you couldn't miss it.

I'll probably end up liking this game in spite of the fact that it is so different from the original but I still maintain the old adage of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and they tried to fix things that weren't broke.

Just this old guy's opinion.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/18/11 08:31 PM

@ oldman (and others)

I have now gotten confirmed that you indeed can play with a gamepad. Don't know if this is any help or not? Some posters even think that the game was made to be controlled with a gamepad.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/18/11 08:36 PM

Yeah oldman, I think sometimes innovate just for the sake of innovation. I'm glad you are still enjoying the game.

thanks Karsten. wave

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/18/11 08:51 PM

I have a gamepad, I'll try to set it up for this game, it did not work very well for the L4D games. I much prefer controllers, I play most of the action games in the PS3 and got used to them.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/18/11 10:40 PM

I've only just played for a little bit, but what I've played so far is great.

I just walked around the camp in the prologue, gathering some items and listening in on some conversations. Played some dice poker and did some arm wrestling.

Which items you can loot can be somewhat hard to pick out, so definitely hit "Z" as you walk around to use your medallion to highlight what you can loot. The recharge on it is somewhat bothersome, but it works pretty well.

I've also tried out the new combat system a little bit and I may be alone, but I like it. It's definitely more action oriented, but I don't think you need a controller for it at all, I think a keyboard + mouse works pretty good. I like how you can stun an enemy and then do a cool finishing manoeuvre.

So for me, so far, the graphics are amazing and the story and game play are great.

Just a word to the wise though, unless you have a super high end video card and CPU, make sure to turn off "ubersampling". If you don't your framerate will take a nose dive.

I'm playing on ultra settings at 1920x1080 with everything on but "ubersampling" and I'm able to play a nice smooth game so far.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/19/11 12:14 AM

What are your video card and CPU, Templeton Peck?

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/19/11 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
What are your video card and CPU, Templeton Peck?

My CPU is an Intel i7 860 (2.8 GHz) and my video card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560ti.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/19/11 01:01 AM

Ummm.... wow. Insert a serious case of video card envy! The more I read about that card, the more I like it.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/19/11 01:32 AM

I have a GeForce 9400 GT 1024 MB. Game runs perfect. Didn't adjust anything.
Richard

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/19/11 02:00 AM

Sweet - makes me hopeful my GTX 260 will be up to the job!

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/19/11 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
Ummm.... wow. Insert a serious case of video card envy! The more I read about that card, the more I like it.

It's a great card, especially for the price to performance ratio you get.

It was the best card I could afford and it definitely delivers.

When you initially run the game, it will auto detect and set the video settings to what should be best for your system setup.

Your card is specifically listed at the recommended requirements level for the game, so I think you are fine.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/19/11 03:55 AM

My card was way at the bottom, soooo

Guess what? new card bought for this game, 560 Ti. Plus two more sticks of memory.

Good reason to upgrade & clean out the box I guess think

Anyways, game should be here any day.

Thanks for the posts guys & gals thumbsup

Dunn
Posted By: Magwitch

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/19/11 02:30 PM

My copy arrives tomorrow - can't wait!

I've been reading threads on the GOG forum and there are a lot of people saying that 'normal' difficulty is insanely hard. Are any of you playing on 'easy' difficulty? How are you finding it? I'm used to action rpgs and have even dabbled in fps games, but my reflexes aren't that brilliant and I'm worried that I might struggle even on a lower difficulty. How are you guys finding the learning curve?

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/19/11 03:47 PM

Magwitch, Oldman said in an earlier post that he was playing on easy.

How 'bout it folks? What difficulty level are you using?

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/19/11 06:39 PM

Playing on the easy mode Gerall sure can swing his sward around and drop any bad guys. Haven't gotten killed yet. Just went to chapter 2.
Richard

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/19/11 07:34 PM

I'm playing on normal. Easy, was well, a bit too easy and less enjoyable because there wasn't much of a challenge really.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/19/11 07:57 PM

Playing the easy and in jail trying to kill the guards with no luck. Just using my fists. Keep getting killed. Let me know if you came to that part. I got put in jail because they thought I killed the king which I didn't.
Richard
Posted By: Vegpot

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/19/11 08:33 PM

I hate to be in the probably tiny minority who haven't enjoyed the start of this game but for me the controls, graphics and whole look of the game have been disappointing and don't impress me like Witcher 1 did. My alienware gaming laptop new at Christmas struggles with the game too, I had to turn a lot of graphics features to low or off, maybe that has something to do with it. However, I find that the screen is difficult to read, the text is tiny enough almost to need a magnifying glass, all the meters and stuff seems to be really unhelpfully small, making it awkward to read the information and some labels on things. I find the zooming round movement difficult to control and unpleasant to watch and the viewpoint is difficult to make comfortable as it switches a lot, in general controlling Geralt is difficult for me, it doesn't feel responsive somehow. I did not have the same feelings about Witcher 1 but I feel with Witcher 2 they have tried too hard maybe to 'improve' it with the result that it just isn't better IMHO! I might not get very far with this game as I feel really disappointed with the struggle I'm having with it plus the general control/viewpoint and text issues already mentioned. cry

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/19/11 08:43 PM

I feel the same way as you do Vegpot awful hard to read anything on the screen.Controls aren't really that good.
richard

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/19/11 08:45 PM

Playing the easy and in jail trying to kill the guards with no luck. Just using my fists. Keep getting killed. Let me know if you came to that part. I got put in jail because they thought I killed the king which I didn't.
Richard

I'm past that part now. Which particular part of this are you stuck on?

Are you out of your cell yet or are you having trouble doing the fist fight sequence?

Right out of your cell is a black jack you can pick up and equip to fight with.

Make sure to use "Z" to activate your Witcher's Medallion to highlight lootable items.

A fun way to escape is to use stealth (the game automatically puts you in this mode). Make sure you focus on the torches and blow out the lights with AARD. Then hide behind and alongside walls and sneak up behind the guards and right click with your mouse to one hit them unconscious.

Also, make use of your surroundings, there are other characters along the way that will help you escape, or cause distractions to your advantage.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/19/11 08:46 PM

Hi Richard
Nice to know I'm not alone in my struggles, I also read a similar comment by Oldman earlier in this thread too, so maybe there are some shortcomings with the game and it's not just my incompetence or imagination!!

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/20/11 03:01 AM

Well, I'm totally hooked and not having any problems with the controls.

One thing I either missed or isn't there that has me miffed though is not being able to change the key bindings for things like the Journal and Inventory. I couldn't play these games without my Cyber Snipa keyboard gamepad and there is no I or J on it.

And have I missed another thing? Is there no quick slot for potions? Do I have to enter Meditation in order to consume a Swallow? I tried during my battle with the Baron and of course, you can't enter Meditation during combat.
Posted By: hagatha

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/20/11 03:44 AM

Hi Everyone,

I've just downloaded my copy from GOG and, dying to play, tried to burn a copy to CD so I wouldn't have to do that 5 hour download again. Too bad, game's too large for one DVD.

Anyway, I don't think I can wait any more. I'll make my DRM-free copy some other time. Time to install and see if my laptop can handle Geralt v.2

Edit -- So far, so good. The game seems to play well on the laptop. Geralt isn't as pretty this time around, but I suppose that's only to be expected after being carved up a few times.

How is everyone else enjoying the game?

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/20/11 07:40 AM

Has anyone defeated the Kayran yet? I just got to that part and I'm afraid that this game is for younger folks than I. I got to 3 tentacles and couldn't even begin to find or get the fourth.

I've read the walkthrough so I know what to do I just can't do it. If it's this hard on easy and chapter 1 then I just wasted $50.

Maybe later there will be a cheat to get you past the hard battles like this otherwise I'm SOL.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/20/11 08:58 AM

Is there such a thing as God mode for this game? Or is there a cheat console command?

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/20/11 11:07 AM

Cheat Happens has a trainer but you have to be a member to download it.

I just watched a video of the whole battle and I may try it again after watching it because I was close.

If anyone wants to watch it it is here

Well after watching the video I reloaded and fought the Kayran again and lo and behold I was able to get through it. So maybe I'll be able to struggle through this game but, for me, it is not as enjoyable as Witcher 1.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/20/11 01:23 PM

As far I can tell from the previews, I have read in it all in the preparation - this time around. You'll need to decide which strategies, you'll use before you fight e.g. would you drink a swallow potion, a blizzard potion or would you rather drink something else, or would you rather put coating on your blade. This means, you'll have to meditate before any and all battles in the game. And to me, this is a very bad design decision, as this is not fun for the player to die like 20 or 30 times before getting things right. This is also partly why I didn't like the combat much in BG1+BG2...go up against enemies, try and try, maybe 20 times, and maybe, just maybe the 21st time, you'll get it right. Maybe.

And from every review I've seen, yes the combat is that difficult on hard. However, just as in Witcher 1, combat should get easier, when you level up and out points into your abilities and skills.

Edit:
Just found this:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/68506/witcher-2-patch-next-week

According to this the patch will allow players to remap key bindings as well as invert the mouse. Also, all and any future dlc will be...free...

Edit 2:
Also found this - from http://pc-mmo.nowgamer.com/reviews/pc-mmo/9816/the-witcher-2?o=2#listing

Quote:
However, for those who’d rather use a keyboard for word processing, CD Projekt has included a pad-based control scheme that makes full use of the Xbox 360 controller. The game even changes the onscreen button prompts to recognisable letters that are painted in familiar colours.

Maybe this'll help people who hage difficulty playing with the keyboard.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/20/11 02:14 PM

Thanks Karsten wave

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/20/11 02:51 PM

Karsten, bless your little heart. If I can remedy my one issue with mapping all the key bindings, maybe I can deal with not having quick slots for potions during battle. So far, I have to agree with your comments about this NOT being a good design. I also don't like having to run around avoiding a enemy while I "heal up." I want to get in, get busy and defeat him. I'm hoping as I level up that will get better.

Otherwise, I notice my skills with the combat system are getting much better with practice. I do like the great "finish moves!"

Oh, and I'm playing on Normal.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/20/11 05:02 PM

Well, I've only had a couple of hours to play and am still in the prologue, but so far I actually think the combat is an improvement compared to Witcher 1. It's a LOT more interesting - you really have to plan your tactics and prepare for every fight, rather than just bulldoze in.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/20/11 10:58 PM

I've had to stop playing because I can't get the Troll Trouble DLC to download and install.

I don't want to progress past that area of the game and not get to do it. Also, apparently a certain reward from another quest is dependant on the DLC being in place at the time.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/21/11 02:31 AM

Sounds very complex. I wonder if that is what the developers had in mind?

Templeton, I wonder if a patch is forthcoming?

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/21/11 02:56 AM

The patch 1.1 is forthcoming next week according to the official website and it does mention the DLC problem specifically.

Quote:
Patch 1.1 is nearing completion and will be available shortly. It will address a number of issues reported by players such as keymapping, inverting the mouse, sudden crashes, problems with activation, difficulties with the game`s DLC, and more.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/21/11 09:09 AM

One thing that really bugs me is that you can't delete save games from within the game itself. Why would they leave this simple feature out? I know it doesn't affect gameplay in the slightest, but I loathe having hundreds of save games.
Posted By: Srebrna

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/21/11 12:53 PM

Regarding Kayran Fight
I play on easy, not sure is this can be regarded as spoiler so I'll mark it anyway
Click to reveal..
I had to chop 3 tentacles and ride on one (left click minigame), after that he drops me and starts throwing rocks, you can hide behind rock that is just in front of you and heal yourself, after that you need to go to the left side of that rock and climb at the part of the broken bridge that goes upwards, when you reach the top, movie will start ending the fight

@Templeton Peck
I have searched around regarding problem with Troll DLC, for Win 7, you need to check run as administrator under launcher.exe properties (even if you have UAC at lowest level as I am), that worked for me, but it seems that I'm late for that because I have downloaded it after arriving to town, and now I can't find quest.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/21/11 03:25 PM

Another thing - I would like to be able to change game options from within the game. As it is, I have to exit the game in order to change a key binding or a video option.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/21/11 05:36 PM

I have a code obtained because I pre-ordered the game, some Swordsman Suit, it says

How to Use Your Code:
Step 1: Start the game launcher
Step 2: Select the 'Pre-order Redemption Code' tab

I cann't find any tab for pre-order, also I cannot type name or password to register.

Has anyone had the same problem?

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/21/11 06:26 PM

I bought a special pre-order offer from play.com which included some special armour, but I didn't find any code to enter, I assumed it meant that the particular edition of the game had the armour programmed into it?

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/21/11 07:54 PM

Yes, I tried to register using my already existing name and password and it was rejected.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/21/11 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Srebrna

@Templeton Peck
I have searched around regarding problem with Troll DLC, for Win 7, you need to check run as administrator under launcher.exe properties (even if you have UAC at lowest level as I am), that worked for me, but it seems that I'm late for that because I have downloaded it after arriving to town, and now I can't find quest.

I've actually tried that already, still doesn't work though. It just endlessly cycles between download and verification.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/21/11 08:21 PM

I think the patch coming next week will resolve this, at least there's this message on the witcher's website -talking about the problems with the Troll Trouble DLC.

Quote:
We are aware of that problem and we have a solution already prepared in the upcoming patch. Until that we ask you kindly not to download the DLCs until the patch release as it won't work without it.

It seems also that there might be patch 1.2 sometime in June of 2011...

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/22/11 12:45 AM

Yeah, you're right, I just thought that I had downloaded it, but realized it is not marked, so I tried again and got the download loop, guess troll will have to wait for next run wink

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/22/11 02:33 PM

Thanks Karsten, at least they know about the problem and are working on it. wave

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/22/11 02:52 PM

I see what everyone means about the combat,but I'm getting the hang of it now. Part of the trouble is the non-stop action from the get-go. I'm at the second ballista in the Prologue, and keep getting swarmed, but cut and run techniques work well. One real problem in my opionion, is the lack of in-game descriptions of the spells. Ignii is obvious; the others are not.I've used a trial and error process that has been marginally helpful. I guess that's the problem with a download - no paper manual to refer to.

Otherwise I'm impressed with the game graphics. The action is very smooth on my laptop, really enjoyable.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/22/11 03:51 PM

I have the boxed version and I am glad I got it since even when it is not the Collectors, has a guide apart from the manual and a CD with the soundtrack. Up to now I haven't had problems with the protection (fingers crossed), this was my biggest concern about Boxed against the Download since I had problems before with this kind of protection.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/22/11 05:08 PM

Can anyone help me get past the ballista in the courtyard? When I try to [blip] it, nothing ever happens except that more guards spawn. The bar indicator, which I assume is supposed to fill up as you [blip] the ballista, instead empties out. I am obviously doing something wrong. After about 15 tries I'm out of ideas. Very frustrating that I am so stuck so early in a game.

Edit. Soryy about the "blips." I used the correct word in the correct context. Nothing I can do about the language filter, I guess. lol

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/22/11 05:34 PM

Hi Hagatha smile

As for the manual, did you download it from GOG. I've read somewhere that you'll need to scroll down a bit, and then you'll be able to get the manual etc.

As for ballista area, I think you'll need to hold the left mouse button to fill the bar up, then release it. And yes, there will be more enemies, I think there will be three waves in total?

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/22/11 07:24 PM

hagatha, you also need to pick up the hammer and hit the ballista or you will be filling the bar and seeing enemies forever, that is not too bad for a while because it should give experience points and some money, but when you want to end this hammer the ballista.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/22/11 08:29 PM

hagatha, you have to click madly to fill the bar quickly. If you don't fill it quickly enough, yet another wave of guards will come.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/22/11 08:53 PM

Hagatha if you downloaded the game, which I assume you did or you'd have a paper manual, then there should be an option to "view manual" on the launcher just below the read me option.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/22/11 11:05 PM

Thanks all. wave

Did you get it Hagatha?

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/22/11 11:15 PM

Well I've been persevering and trying to get used to the gameplay and I've managed - on easy combat - to get to the temple and the search for the solar. But now I'm getting killed by the dragon, I know there is some kind of quick time thing here, and a very brief flash of instruction seemed to be saying to press the right hand mouse button when some kind of symbol appears, but I didn't see what symbol exactly and whenever I try to press a button the dragon always kills me. This is so infuriating! Can anyone tell me how to get past this?

edit 1: Also, who killed Aryan in the showdown and who managed to negotiate peacefully, if that isn't giving too much away? I did the first initially and then went back and went the second way ...

edit 2: For the ballista I found just clicking very fast seemed to work, I didn't pick up any kind of hammer.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/22/11 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Vegpot
Well I've been persevering and trying to get used to the gameplay and I've managed - on easy combat - to get to the temple and the search for the solar. But now I'm getting killed by the dragon, I know there is some kind of quick time thing here, and a very brief flash of instruction seemed to be saying to press the right hand mouse button when some kind of symbol appears, but I didn't see what symbol exactly and whenever I try to press a button the dragon always kills me. This is so infuriating! Can anyone tell me how to get past this?

If you're where I think you are then you just press the "S" key and run away from the dragon.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/22/11 11:50 PM

Thanks Oldman, I've been trying to run away but the dragon always seems to catch up with me, is it a fast clicking thing or is there something I'm missing?

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/23/11 12:20 AM

You can just run (holding S) and there is no need to do anything else, you should be able to pass

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/23/11 02:50 AM

Hi everyone. Thanks for the advice on the ballista. Got it.

Escaping the dragon took some doing. You have to hit the "s" button as soon as you have control of the game. I ran straight past the first bulge in the pathway but ducked into the second bulge, using the right mouse button to crouch below the dragon fire. As soon as the fire stopped I hit the "S" key again and ran straight into the castle on the other side.

This game has committed the one unpardonable sin, in my eyes - a long, long, long and ultimately tedious (after several forced repetitions) dialogue section, followed by a long, long action sequence with absolutely no opportunity to save so that if you get killed you have to go through the entire dialogue sequence again, and so on ad nauseum. After the tenth time being able to skip parts of the dialoge doesn't help. I had to stop playing from sheer frustration. Not fun, and there is no reason to deny a save position. It subtracts from the gameplay experience rather than adding to it.

Edit - Meh, I just ran into a game-ending bug in the dungeons. Serves me right for having such high expectations. I think I'll load up Dragon Age 2 instead.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/23/11 04:08 AM

I'm patiently waiting for the patch that is coming this week and have stopped playing as well.

This is why I don't pre-order games usually. I'd rather wait until the game gets a patch or two in.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/23/11 04:38 AM

Hmmm... I got out of the dungeons just fine and am now in Flotsam.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/23/11 06:08 AM

In the dungeon, you're supposed to
Click to reveal..
peek through a hole in the wall, and then jump down into the next area. In my game, I get the prompt to peek, but when I click the left mouse button, the game doesn't respond to the command, so when I jump down into the next area, there is no guard and therefore no key.
Because there is no place to save in this entire sequence, I have to keep restarting from all that dialogue in the prison cell, and after a while I just can't be bothered. I'm not sure if the inability to save is by design or whether it's a bug. Doesn't really make sense not to allow a save in this area, really. I mean, what's the point? Grumble, mutter. Anyway, I hope this gets fixed by the patch.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/23/11 10:09 AM

I cannot believe the struggle I'm having trying to escape the dragon - the most I've been able to do is duck down to avoid the fiery breath, but then once I press S again it's too late and the dragon just immediately gets me. I've tried this a dozen times or more now, I'm rapidly getting sick of it and of this game, if it's just going to be like this over and over again unless there's some kind of cheat or god mode available I will be abandoning it.

edit: On top of everything the game is now crashing quite frequently on reloading a save - since I keep having to re-load the dragon chase sequence a lot, this is just maddening and I am a hair's breadth away from uninstalling the game right now!

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/23/11 01:04 PM

Click to reveal..
When you peeked, did you see the executioner and was the lady (forget her name) hanging on the wall? After I left clicked to peek, I left clicked again to get out of peek; then jumped up and down to kill the two guys.

Vegpot, I had a hard time with the dragon too until I figured out I had to right click when the prompt showed up and immediately hold down the S key. Finally made it after about a dozen tries - it wasn't hard at all, but I just wasn't doing it right.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/23/11 02:57 PM

Vegpot, Hagatha sorry you guys are having such a hard time. I hope the patch improves the game for you.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/23/11 03:41 PM

When trying to kill Kayran there is a long cut scene previous to the fight that is annoyingly long with no way to skip it.

I don't mind to fight a big boss several times but this waiting for the cut scene to finish is ridiculous. hardwall

I only made through that fight after checking a Youtube WT. Then if you get stuck like me after riding one tentacle I recommend checking the WT.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/23/11 04:25 PM

I hate to grumble so much abut a new game, especialy when it looks so good and generally plays so well. I bet if they get all the nuisance bugs out of it, it'll become a favourite. But not allowing saves right a fter long cutscenes or long dialogue trees is just downright dumb, I think. That's how you end up with frustrated games.

Vegpot, there are numerous Youtube tutorial videos on this game and you might find one for this.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/23/11 04:33 PM

Thanks to various on here for trying to help and be supportive, I am now unable to play the game at all for the moment as I tried to improve things by downloading the latest graphics card drivers which has made a mess of my screen resolution and the game won't play frown I've put a post on the glitches forum but not sure if that was the right place ...

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/23/11 05:01 PM

Just some of my thoughts!

This game is good.

For me ,unlike other games I have played & thought I don't need that, or why read that?

After getting me head handed to me in the side Quests, in Chp 1. grin

In this game,pick up & use everything that's around. This means everything. You can always sell it if you don't need it.

The game is not as hard if you read what works with what your doing at the time.

If you go into battle with swords a-swinging,

& did'nt prepare right, it's game over pal grin

When I started doing what the game say's works with what, it made things way less stressful.

I'm on normal game play.

I did play the prologe on easy, & then switched to normal in chp 1

The dragon, all I did was run fast, no stopping ,& made it the first time.

Dunn Tawkin

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/23/11 05:12 PM

As far as I know, the in-ability to save anywhere is a feature, not a bug. I remember discussing it in a few forum posts over at rpgwatch. And I think we were all amazed that CD Project did this e.g. you can only save when you game auto-saves or at certain savepoints. I think maybe there is in ability to hit F5 (quicksave) anytime...

I seem also to have seen in an interview with Tomasz Gop (senior producer) that he mentions that a normal or quick save key (or ability) will be added to the game in a future patch.

As for saves after cutscenes or long dialogues, Bioware did this as well in many of their games.
This led to in DA:O the game autosaved after a cutscene and after a lengthy dialogue...

As for problems with monitors etc. glitches is the correct forum to post in.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/23/11 06:11 PM

You can hit esc and skip scenes and keep hitting right mouse key to fast forward through dialogue. It seems to me that I was able to hit the F5 key just before the Kayran fight but I could be wrong.

I have made it to Chapter 2 and followed the quest pointers until I got to the subterraneam quest with the dwarves and you need many keys and a bomb and I don't know which one so I am so frustrated I'm going to put this game on hold for a while and wait for a complete walkthrough. It was starting to get to be fun and now it is just frustrating.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/23/11 06:26 PM

Well I have had it with the game, I just uninstalled it. I must say what a huge disappointment this sequel has been, the features I liked about the witcher seem to have vanished and to me it had become a kind of action-focused shoot em up more suited to console play, the rpg magic has gone, Witcher RIP ...

It has gone down a similar path to Mass Effect 2, which also lost most of the rpg adventure fun of ME1 and became a fast-action shooter to all intents and purposes.

Now I have to try and mend my laptop which isn't displaying properly any more after 'updating' the driver ... sigh ...

not a good day ...

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/23/11 06:57 PM

I'm getting seriously worried now about my ability to cope with Witcher 2 .... even when I do have a machine that will play it eek

What is it with sequels ????
I had to give up on both Neverwinternights 2 and Divine Divinity 2 - with auto-changing camera angles at the worst possible times in one and ridiculously difficult gameplay and navigation in the second half of the other !! frown

I think Knights of the Old Republic 2 was one of the last really good "unwrecked" sequels I've played crazy

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/23/11 07:16 PM

How do I enter stealth mode? I don't see it in the manual. think

What do you do to get your swords back after Loredo ?

Oh boy! I found them in my inventory blush

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/23/11 09:30 PM

I've got frustrated few times, generally with fast pace in prologue, with dragon, kayren, arm wrestling etc; but I finally got hold of the fight so I'm enjoying my play, I'm just in front of dwarf mines.
And while we are at bombs, I almost got crazy searching for that bomb in chapter 1 that has different name in the guide.

@mcc
not sure about stealth mode, to me it seems it activates on it's own in some areas
if you mean getting your swords back after regular visit to Loredo, they are in chest just in front of the gate, next to the guard

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/23/11 09:51 PM

I tried to look at the chest but I thought I couldn't, however later I found the swords in the inventory, somehow I must have taken them.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/23/11 10:22 PM

Stealth mode will activate itself in certain areas where the game will allow you to sneak. Remember to use the aard sign to blow up the torches...and sneak...

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/23/11 11:52 PM

Thanks, I thought one could activate stealth apart from the times that comes automatically.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/24/11 04:41 AM

Hey, Karsten,

I never had any trouble saving previously in the game (obviously with the limitations imposed by being in combat) but I will try one last time quick-saveing in the dungeon. Still, I can't get anywhere beause I can't do the one thing that sets the next sequence in motion --
Click to reveal..
the peek through the wall
-- so I am effectively game over unless the patch deals with this issue.

Otherwise the game is great, now that I understand how the combat works. I always did love Witcher.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/24/11 01:42 PM

hagatha, did you kill Aryan? The guide I have says the way to get out is different depending of where you had killed him or not.

There should not be a dead end either way. The map is very confusing, there is probably a way you cannot see.

I had kill Aryan, if you didn't you need to find him and he will show you a secret passage.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/24/11 01:43 PM

hagatha, I believe there is an alternative way to do this part of the game. Do not drop down into the lower dungeons through the trap door. Stay on the same upper level you start this part in.

Click to reveal..
You will come around a corner and see a cutscene where they take the woman out of the dungeon. You can then go down the stairs and take out the jailer and the executioner. The game will pick up again where the Nilfgardian guy helps you escape.

EDIT: Ah, mcc, I hadn't thought of that. I know that killing or not killing Aryan changes some things later on in the game. I killed him too.

I'm having a great time running around in Flotsam. Can anyone tell me if I absolutely need to have someone craft me a silver witcher's sword before I take on the monster? I'm still missing some silver dust.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/24/11 02:03 PM

Drac, I would find one or have one made.

I just got a better one in one of the side quests.

I'm at level 8 right now, but have not tried to tackle the water monster yet.

As I said in a early post, use everything in the game enviroment, made some of the battles
so easy,after getting creamed before.

All side quests finished now.

Dunn wave

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/24/11 02:50 PM

Draclvr, in my experience it doesn't matter much how strong is your weapon, it is more a matter of survival, not too easy, and trapping (not spoiler since Sile tells you to do that) the tentacles so you can slash them, as long as they are trapped it is easy to cut them.

I got stuck and killed after cutting them, I had to check a video WT to know what to do, since trial and error was taking me too long because the cut scene previous to the fight.

About the dungeons, I only know about the different plays because I have a mini guide that came in the boxed version that says so.

In this game apparently there are many choices affecting the play. Loading the W1 games did not make any difference as far as I have noticed.

Dunn Tawkin, the problem I have with the side quests is that even when pointed as the quest to follow the marker doesn't appear in the map and I don't know where to look, e.g. the cocoons or the entrance of caves.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/24/11 09:09 PM

I don't know about anyone else but I imported the W1 game and got my Raven Armor and the 2 swords that I had accumulated in the original game. So I already had a good silver and steel sword.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/25/11 12:33 AM

I certainly didn't get any armor from W1, I have a decent silver sword but I don't know if it is from that game, I ended the game with very good stats and equipment.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/25/11 01:06 AM

mcc and Draclvr, I did not kill Aryan, so I guess I'm hooped. There is no alternative way out of the dungeon; the trapdoor is the only one. I'll just wait for the patch and hope it works. In the meantime I'm having fun with Dragon Age 2, just having worked out which characters are romanceable.

Unfortunately I have no games saves from Witcher 1 (different computer) so I guess I'll have to start a whole new epic adventure some time. I liked all my various Geralts, but the last one was really good.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/25/11 01:22 AM

I think you're supposed to somehow find Aryan and he will show you the secret way out, hagatha. From a walkthrough -

Click to reveal..
Depending on your previous actions, you'll either meet with Aryan or Shilard Fiz Oesternlen, both willing to help you escape. Either way you'll need to make your way to the executioner's room and kill him for his keys and other supplies.

And this - If you're with Aryan, you will need to fight the guards above and clear the path to help the young noble to a secret passage and a cache of explosives. With Shilard, he will distract the guards and leave the corridors open for you to simply walk away

So, don't drop down into that trapdoor and see what happens. The executioner's room is accessible from the upper level down a flight of stairs.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/25/11 03:12 PM

hagatha, I copied the saved games from another computer into my Witcher 2 folder in Documents, when installing the game it recognized the old games.

At some point soon after leaving your cell you should witness two guards leading Aryan out of the torture chamber, you should talk to him apparently.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/25/11 06:53 PM

RPGCodex bears good news - the patch for the witcher is forthcoming smile
The patch should be released later this evening...or maybe we'll have to wait till tomorrow.

Here's the link:

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=59836

The changelog is a bit too long to post, but some important changes are these:

Quote:
2. Fixed the free Troll Trouble DLC download. It is now included n the patch so there's no need to download and install it separately.

3. Fixed an issue that prevented some users from downloading other free DLCs (the ones given out with some pre-orders, special promotions, etc). The launcher now properly refreshes the list of available DLCs and allows for installation.

4. Performance improvements: approximately 5% to 30% better framerate and faster game loading for many users, depending on their individual systems and game versions. Owners of retail versions can expect the biggest improvements.

5. Fixed random crashes occurring on some systems, especially after saving and loading saves.

6. Key mapping – allows the arrow and number keys to be used for movement.

7. Added the option to invert the mouse.

I hope this helps some of you having trouble playing this game.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/25/11 08:46 PM

Regarding W1 save, I think that it depends which save specifically you import (it offers you to choose), I have also got both swords (silver Aerondight, don't remember steel) and Raven's Armor.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/25/11 09:17 PM

I put all my saves, it must be that in my last save Gerald was having fun with a lady and didn't have his armor on rotfl

I think I had two swords from the beginning, I am not sure I need to load the first save to check.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/25/11 09:44 PM

Thanks Karsten, I'm sure it will be a smoother play now. wave

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/26/11 01:59 AM

Well I got back into the game and finally found my way through the subterranean quest. I backed the elves in chapter one so my quest line is completely different than the walkthrough from gamespot (until it gets posted). So now I need one more ingredient for a poisen remedy and from reading various posts I need to find Cecil the Dwarf but I've gone around in so many circles thus far I don't remember if or when I met him.

Anybody know where he is?

Well I found Cecil and I have no option to discuss the ingredients for the quest "A Matter of Life and Death" so now I don't know where to go to find the last ingredient which is A Place of Power or something like that. I've read that I'm supposed to find crystals or some such but have no idea of where to look.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/26/11 02:05 AM

Well, crud... the patch doesn't let me remap all my key bindings.

Ah, well, I guess I can live with it. I'm having a terrible good time in the game.

EDIT: Does anyone know what we are supposed to do with the pods or Venus Flytrap looking things in the woods outside Flotsam? The Witcher medallion show it as something to interact with, but I can't do anything to or with them..

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/26/11 02:11 PM

I don't know how to use the Mutagens, in the manual it says
Quote:
to select the Character option and find an ability that has a Mutagen slot
, I don't see anything in the Character Abilities screen.

How do I do it?

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/26/11 02:52 PM

Mcc, we'll have to wait for a fellow player to get that question answered.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/26/11 04:54 PM

mcc, it seems that mutagens can be used only on skills that are at the end of the tree, I'm developing sword tree, and at the end I have 3 skills that I can add mutagens to - you can see really tiny dots, right click > add mutagen.
So, it seems that we don't have many options to use them, so it's best to keep only strong mutagens and sell the rest.

you can see green dots on three skills

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/26/11 05:11 PM

Tx Srebrna wave

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/26/11 05:13 PM

More thanks, Srebrna - I'd have looked for a long time! I have a couple of mutagens - will have to see if they are worth keeping.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/26/11 06:34 PM

Thanks Srebrna, I don't see the green dots in mine but probably because I haven't added those yet, I'll do it now.

I have several mutagens I'll have to be careful which ones I use.

I have found it now chocobunny , I assume one can use only one per ability.
Posted By: Gabriel123

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/26/11 06:43 PM

In Witcher 2, after i kill the Kayran, i want to return in the village and get my reward, but i cannot enter the village because ( Geralt ) i'm killed by some guards and i cannot do enything about it. Some smuck appears from nowhere yelling "kill that [blip]" and...game over. How can i get by ? What i must do or cheat ? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/26/11 09:24 PM

The Patch 1.1 is out. Apparently the FPS rates for some people are going up a lot.

For me, I'm stuck downloading 9GB because my version is from Steam. The patch isn't that big actually, but it has something to do with Steam not being able to just apply the patch so easily.

Hopefully I'll get to play tonight.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/26/11 10:29 PM

Also please note that the patch removes the drm on the system. Seems the drm was just on the game for the release then.

Here's the part from the release notes about this:

Quote:
The most noticeable change is the removal of the DRM protection world-wide. This gives players the freedom to install and play the game on any number of computers, and no activation code is required.
(source: http://www.rpgwatch.com/?rwsiteid=1#17359 )

Here's the link to the patch:
http://www.en.thewitcher.com/

Frame rates should be going up as well:

Quote:
Other notable improvements include frame rate increases of approximately up to 30%, especially noticeable on DRMed versions and low spec systems, better stability, and non-problematic installation of free DLCs (the first free DLC, the "Troll Trouble" quest, is incorporated into the patch), the possibility of inverting the mouse and re-mapping directional control on the keyboard, and more.

I hope this means some of you get to enjoy Witcher 2 in a better way than before.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/27/11 12:02 AM

Gabriel, did you check the WT linked several pages back?

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/27/11 12:38 AM

I think oldman got Gabriel playing again by having him sheath his sword.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/27/11 05:33 PM

I patched the game, actually I had to reinstall it and the patch was automatic, but I still cannot register either with my old name or with a new account, I just cannot type anything. duh
Any ideas?

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/27/11 07:00 PM

I think you can register the game via the gogforums. At least that what I picked up on my visit through the varius rpg sites on the internet.

CDP did take their forums down for now; they should be up later...

Also, remember that the first DLC Troll Trouble is included in the patch...

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/27/11 07:08 PM

I had that problem when I first tried to register and found that I had my font settings on my desktop to 150%. I reduced them to 100% and was able to see the type. I don't know if that's your problem or not but it was mine.

I made it to Chapter 3 now but I've missed a whole bunch of quests along the way. I just followed the main quest. When I finish I'll do a replay and try to pick up all the quests. Plus it looks like the choice you make in Chapter 1 makes a completely different set of quests in Chapter 2 so will side with the other side second time around.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/27/11 11:23 PM

I have two major points of irritation with this game so far.

The first, is with the Monk in the inn that you have to play Dice Poker with to get a so called "relic". It took me several tries to finally win and then when you find out what it is, what a joke and waste of time.

Down the line when the game gets older, it isn't likely to be even working anymore.

The second, is the fact if you sell your formulas, you can't create anything like in the original. I thought I was fine since they all recorded in the journal and I wanted to free up that extra weight (little that it is) and make the money from them.

I'm just glad I noticed before I got too far ahead because apparently if you go too far you can't get them back again.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/28/11 12:02 AM

Thanks for the info Tempelton thumbsup

I was going to do the same thing, to free up space.

I can't find anything about the books you pick up. Can you get rid of them ?.

The only one's I could read, is the quest books!

Oldman: I'm trying to do all the quest,so I can level-up more,& get a-little more story.

I sided with the elves.

Dunn wave

Did win all the fist fights so far.

Did the big fight with the town clowns boys. Whipped em but good. lol

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/28/11 08:43 AM

There's a weightless mod out for Witcher 2 on witchernexus.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/28/11 02:21 PM

In Chapter 1 I missed 2 of the 3 Side Quests I was trying to do because I couldn't find the things I was looking for, I even killed one of the Queens because I found the pods by chance doing the Main Quest but I didn't find the other. I never found the entrances I was supposed to blow to stop the Nekkers. I had the Quest supposedly tracked.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/28/11 02:38 PM

I have all the pods destroyed, but haven't killed either of the queens yet. And I had to use my Witcher Medallion to find the Nekker entrances. They are very hard to see on the forest floor unless you do.

Right now I'm down in the old hospital searching for some Nilfgardian ghost, but I can't find him anywyere.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/28/11 03:19 PM

Draclvr, This is the only one I finished, I don't remember having trouble finding the Nilfgardian ghost, I found him very soon I gave the medicine to the brother that is still in the hospital, I thing his location was marked in the map but I am not sure.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/28/11 03:44 PM

Thanks Karsten, I'll check it out.

Draclvr, that ghost is around the corner pretty close, should show up on your mimi map,

if you have the quest checked in your journal.

Mcc, that other pod is just a-little south-east ,if I remember right. On a corner by a big tree.

Got to chapter 2. Big pow wow meeting done,

Won all the fist fights in the local watering hole so far. thumbsup

Made a pretty good armor set up before I left Flotsam.Lot stronger charactor now.

Dunn happydance

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/28/11 03:52 PM

Well I finished the game and will not put in a spoilers however there are 2 choices on the ending. I obviously have only witnessed one. I chose to go with the elves this time around.

Witcher 1 was more player friendly in that the quests, both side and main, were marked so much better and the map was so much easier to read and understand. Plus it was so much easier to identify MPC's and those that you needed to talk to. In Witcher 2 it's a hit and a miss as to which NPC's are going to engage and which are just going to blow you off. Just my opinion.

I'm starting again and this time the game will not recognize my witcher 1 saves. They are in the same file and the same saves. The only thing different is that I'm playing the patched version now. So, to keep my Raven Armor and swords from Witcher 1 I just loaded a save game from the beginning and am playing again from there.

This time I will try to get all the side quests and see if I can enjoy the game more now that I have an idea where everthing is. This is a much shorter game than W1 and, to me, very disappointing. I was expecting so much more.

After I finish this second go around I'll probably do another run through of the original just to leave the games with a better taste in my mouth.

I have one question to those who blew up the nests in Chapter 1. Which bombs do you use and where do you get them?

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/28/11 03:58 PM

Oldman, if you had to give this and the original Witcher a grade, what would it be?

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/28/11 04:23 PM

oldman, maybe if you move the Witcher 2 saves to another folder you can still import your Character from W1.

I took me months to finish W1 I am amazed you finished this game already.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/28/11 04:25 PM

I had to go back to an earlier save to have him show up - don't know why as I didn't do anything differently. Anyway, made my choice and am now looking for more silver to craft the Robust Witcher's Silver Sword.

Still have to go back and get both those Endrega queens. I hope to have some good long gaming time tonight.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/28/11 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: looney4labs
Oldman, if you had to give this and the original Witcher a grade, what would it be?

Well since Witcher 1 is my all time favorite along with Morrowind and KOTOR, I'd have to say that Witcher 1 is a 10 and Witcher 2 is a 6 (on a scale of 1 to 10. Actually, in my opinion there is no comparison. Witcher 2 falls far short of the original in more ways than one including the length of the game.

MCC I was just as surprised as you when I came to the end. I couldn't believe that the game was over already. Witcher 1 had 5 chapters as well as a prologue and epilogue while Witcher 2 has 3 with epilogue and prologue. Plus Chapter 3 is not really a full chapter. There are also not as many quests in Witcher 2.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/28/11 07:42 PM

I need to be able to get the shard of a corpse in the Succubus Side Quest but I don't have the right tools, has anybody found Surgical Tools or something useful for this?

Thanks I have found them in the market.
Posted By: anne2

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/28/11 08:09 PM

Mcc, there are surgical tools with the lady in the market that sells potions.

Ah John, this is better than the first Witcher. The story seems to flow better and other than Geralt's not so pretty face the graphics are lovely. Also prefer the new Triss.

wave

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/28/11 08:13 PM

I'm with you anne. As much as I loved the first Witcher, the story flows better in Witcher 2 and I'm really engrossed in the game. The only thing I don't like about the "new" Geralt is that huge lower jaw... Why did they do that? Also agree about the new Triss...
Posted By: anne2

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/28/11 08:23 PM

Draclvr, maybe someone will beable to mod his jaw, it really does spoil his face.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/28/11 09:43 PM

Anne I agree with you about the graphics and the story line and thought they continued the original story as no other sequel has ever done.

However, it is much shorter and less gamer friendly than witcher 1. My biggest pieves are the map and trying to find NPC's. In witcher 1 you had the option of turning on captions to identify everything but not so in Witcher 2.

My second playthrough is going to take me probably twice as long to finish as I'm concentrating on all the side quests while in the first I just followed the quest markers and the game automatically took me through the main quest and I was at the end before I realized it.

And, I also much prefer the new Triss Merigold. In fact, Polish Playboy even had her in a playboy spread. I've seen pictures of the actors that portray Triss and Geralt and, after makeup, they look remarkably like the game characters. I would imagine that they were used as models for the graphics designers in the game.

Anyway Witcher 1 was a little more gritty but I thought it added to the atmosphere that the game was portraying.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/28/11 10:01 PM

Now, the map is something I agree with you on, oldman. The mini-map is essentially useless. I'm doing all the quests I can in this first play through. And the "grittiness" was one of my favorite things about Witcher 1.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/29/11 08:54 AM

Oldman, the bomb to be used for nekker nests is Grapeshot, you can buy formula from elf in the village outside the town, forgot the name, but he's the one on the tree that you need to talk to regarding main quest line. It will be activated on "destroy nest" button, and you need to move away or you get incinerated to.
Regarding incineration, I have heard there is some perk that you can get if you run through fires, I think I'm on good way to obtain it as I never miss campfires when talking to npc's smile.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/29/11 02:55 PM

Thank you Srebna. I'm on my second time around and plan on picking up all the side quests this time around. I'm in Chapter one and have those quests on my list so will go to the elf and get the bombs and be equipped to blow up some nests.

Well I've found 3 of 4 nests and have just about given up on finding the fourth. In Wiki it states that there is one east of the others but I've searched everywhere I can and used z until I'm z'd in the face and have yet to find the fourth. Another pieve of mine. In Witcher 1 at least they showed you which way to go to get a quest.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/29/11 09:54 PM

Oldman , I stumbled on a-couple of them by accident, doing something else.

They are hard to find.

Dunn

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/29/11 11:52 PM

I need to buy the Beehive Bombs or the Crafting Diagram to finish the Mines Side Quest. duh

This is a permanent problem I have in this game - either I don't know where to go or how to get an item I need.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/30/11 12:44 AM

I read that Beehive is a misnomer in the game. They are actually the grapeshot bombs and you can check srebrna's post above about them.

I found a map that shows all four of the Nekker nests and finished the quest. I lost the url but printed out the map so if anyone wants it let me know and I'll email you a copy of the map.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/30/11 01:40 AM

Thanks oldman, I have seen a guy who sales grapeshots.

I am interested on the map because I want to start over again after I finish this game because I am missing too many things. When I play for the second time there should be also more WTs, making these things clearer.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/30/11 02:17 AM

Let me know if you need a copy of the map. I'm holding on to the hard copy just in case. My email is available in my profile. luck

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/30/11 04:32 AM

Okay, I've downloaded the patch and as soon as I'm done with Dragon Age 2 (sadly, I won't be diving in for a second run through it, at not immediately) I'll be trying again with Witcher 2, see if the patch gets me past that glitch in the dungeons.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/30/11 02:51 PM

hagatha, may be here there is a player who didn't kill Aryan and could advise you and also say if the task is possible or there is really a glitch, the Dungeons are very confusing and you could easily be missing something.

Do you have a mini guide that comes with the game? There is a map, not excellent, but is something. I you haven't seen Aryan maybe you haven't reached the #4 in the map, after reaching that room the game splits from A) having killed Aryan or B) Aryan is alive and the way to exit changes.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/30/11 04:06 PM

There are a couple of videos right here that show two different ways of getting out of the dungeon.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/30/11 05:00 PM

thanks Oldman wave

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/30/11 08:21 PM

I had to go back to a previous save to get the Nilfgardian ghost to show up, so maybe hagatha had a similar issue.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/31/11 01:27 AM

Thanks for the tips. Operator error is always a possibility with me. I'll check it out tonight. I'm still playing Dragon Age 2, but am dying to get back to W2.

Re: The witcher 2 - 05/31/11 07:06 PM

hagatha , HERE you can find a very good map of the Dungeons
Posted By: Moondancer

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/02/11 08:48 AM

Hey, guys, glad to see y'all playing Witcher 2. wave

I'm in chapter 2 now, so can't comment on game as a whole, but at this point I'm still preferring at least the first game's interface, and alchemy and battle mechanics in the first game. (Not to mention inventory managment!)

Phew, but some of these graphics are pretty, like the forest at Flotsam! shocked

Wow, well done on finishing already, Oldman.

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/02/11 06:50 PM

Moondancer I just hurried through the first playthrough to see how the game was and didn't do any side quests. However, I was surprised when it ended. I was expecting a couple more chapters and all of a sudden I got to the end.

I'm now playing a second run through doing all the side quests and just hit chapter 2. The first time I went with the elves and this time I'm going with the Special Forces (or whatever they're called). Have been trying to find and do all the side quests in the game so it will take a little longer. I'm even disappointed in the amount of side quests in W2 versus W1.

Oh well they sold it and I bought it so I'll try to get my money's worth. Still miss all the stuff in W1 that they don't have in W2 though.

While I'm on it, I can't figure out which dice are higher and which are lower in this version of poker dice. So it's all hit and miss. I just save and guess and if I lose I reload and repeat.

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/02/11 07:21 PM

I finished the game. Did very few Side Quests mainly because I didn't see how to do some of them. I will start again and do different choices as oldman did.

Excellent graphics, some the best I had seen, good story, all in all I enjoyed the game, but terrible map, difficult to find places and not clear instructions for the Side Quests. Also no many places to do real trade and the trading possibility is finished after the battle starts, I finished with a super full inventory even when I discarded may things. I hope now there are more WTs available.

The Patch 1.2 is coming tomorrow, I'll then I'll wait for it.

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/02/11 07:51 PM

Yes, as mcc says patch 1.2 will be out tomorrow.

There will be a new dlc included in the patch called Barbers and Coiffeurs

Quote:
A (d)etailed patch list will be released after the press conference, but among the usual bug- and balancing fixes it features a new DLC called 'Barbers and Coiffeurs', which allows Geralt to wear his hair open aghain as in W1 ;-)
(source: http://www.rpgwatch.com/#1740 )

Should make many people, including me, happy...;)

Edit:

As you probably know by now (those of us who watched the press conference - for some reasons I alwaus forget about these...) Witcher 2 will be released for Xbox 360 later this year. (same source as above)

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/02/11 08:17 PM

Karsten, it should make me happy also smile

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/02/11 11:48 PM

Count me in too!

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/03/11 01:17 PM

I just want to mention, that although I don't usually play with mods or trainers, in this case, I used a mod to increase inventory capacity. You can find some nice inventory expanding mods at the Witcher Nexus.

Oldman and MCC I hope you kept your alternate choice older saves for chapter 2, since some of the (actually I think most of the chapter 2 side quests? ) are dependent on the choice you made; because you find yourself in a different place/town depending which choice you make.

I find that the side quests are taking quite a lot of my time. I also plan to play both choices so will let you know on that once I'm done.

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/03/11 01:53 PM

A question for people who ended the game siding with the elves
Click to reveal..
I read that is possible to save Saskia and Triss, anybody knows? I saved Triss

Moondancer, I am a pack rat my inventory is always fuuuuullll and I keep ALL my saves.

As soon as the new Patch comes out I will restart a new game, trying to do more Side Quests and this time will side with Roche.

Many of the problems I had with Side Quests were related to not knowing where to go or what to do in a certain moment, in the Baltimore Dream, e.g., that I supposedly finished, I was left with a Thorak key and a chest in the shipwreck I couldn't open. In the Harpy contract the guide says one needs to find "Firefly" bombs, I don't know if it is another bomb misnomer like with the Beehives but I couldn't get any, I had harpy traps though but I didn't know where to put them.

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/03/11 04:05 PM

Well when I went to launch the game today I got a popup that asked if I wanted to install patch 1.2. I clicked yes and the patch automatically installed. Now the launcher no longer has downloadable content as an option which is no big thing because it wasn't working all that well anyway. So now I have the 1.2 patch installed and I didn't have to hunt it down it just installed itself automatically which I think is cool.

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/03/11 07:05 PM

happydance oldman...

So glad it is automatic. Did it solve any of your problems with the game?

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/03/11 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: looney4labs
happydance oldman...

So glad it is automatic. Did it solve any of your problems with the game?

Actually I have had no problems with this game but the patches do give goodies that I have used. I got a haircut after this patch was installed. So basically I had no problems to solve.

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/03/11 09:43 PM

In my case it was not automatic, I had to execute the patch but with no problems.

I got my hair cut too smile

The problems I had were not related to patches but with the map particularly with the Side Quests. I found a WT with lots of maps HERE ad I have the maps printed, now it only has Prologue and Chapter 1 included the Side Quests. I hope soon is more complete.

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/04/11 03:34 AM

I am still unable to log in or register the game. I've even tried to log in to the regular forums where I've been a member since the first Witcher came out. Both the Login and Register options are greyed out... Is it just me? If I say I've forgotten my password, it tells me an email has been sent, but it never arrives.

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/04/11 07:29 AM

I also cannot login in at witcher site (grayed out), but I have registered the game through launcher. First I tried using user/pass that I already had for witcher 1, but it didn't work, so I used option to create new account and made same account again. Recovery mail also didn't work, seems they are too busy atm to finish site.

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/04/11 08:26 AM

Originally Posted By: mcc
Moondancer, I am a pack rat my inventory is always fuuuuullll and I keep ALL my saves.

As soon as the new Patch comes out I will restart a new game, trying to do more Side Quests and this time will side with Roche.

Many of the problems I had with Side Quests were related to not knowing where to go or what to do in a certain moment, in the Baltimore Dream, e.g., that I supposedly finished, I was left with a Thorak key and a chest in the shipwreck I couldn't open. In the Harpy contract the guide says one needs to find "Firefly" bombs, I don't know if it is another bomb misnomer like with the Beehives but I couldn't get any, I had harpy traps though but I didn't know where to put them.

Yes, firefly is a misnomer, it should be harpy traps. Have at least seven crafted, and put them in the slot for bombs and traps.
Click to reveal..
Then go to the old quarry outside town, and when harpies attack you there, quickly put one down. One of them will pick it up (try stay close to the trap while you fight) and one of them will pick up a trap and take it to it's nest. After a few moments, you will get the message that you have destroyed 1 out of 7 traps. Fun! Carry on like this until 4 traps have been taken at the quarry. The other 3 traps need to be set down in the harpy caves where you go for the magical item quest in order to heal Saskia.

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/04/11 11:56 AM

If you can't register the first game's enhanced edition, there is a guide and help here:

Quote:
Studio CD Projekt RED is happy to announce that version of the patch 1.4 without registration requirement is available for download. Owners of premiere edition of The Witcher, which had a problem with installing Enhanced Edition because of registration process during patching, can download new version of patch 1.4 from this site.

http://en.thewitcher.com/the-witcher/1/

Note that there is also an option for downloading patch 1.5 at this site.

---

And yes, it seems that the forums, login and the register options are still greyed out.
Hopefully, they're going to fix it - soon - I hope.

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/04/11 01:19 PM

I've been registered since I got the first game several years ago. But I cannot register Witcher 2, nor can I log in or register at the website. I've tried registering the Witcher 2 game using my old log-in and creating a new accout - no luck either way.

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/04/11 02:55 PM

Drac, Did you get your copy through Steam? I saw lots of folks who did saying they could not register.

Did you try clicking on register.exe in the installation folder?

There is a list of bugs, glitches etc and their fixes Here

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/04/11 05:03 PM

No, I have a boxed disk version. And, yes, I tried every way possible. I find it odd that I can't even log in like I always did or even register under a new name. I'll glean that link you posted to see if there is something I missed there. Thanks!

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/04/11 06:17 PM

Draclvr, I had the same problem, unable to register even creating a new account, the reason was that apparently I was not typing anything. I just tried to create a new account typing my new name and password even when not seeing a thing and it worked.

Moondancer,

thanks, I will try that when I replay and I side again with the elves. This time around I plan to side with Roche. I have done a couple of Side Quests of Chapter 1, this time using the maps I found, what a relief.

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/04/11 06:23 PM

Draclvr if the registration etc is grayed out then that generally means that the program is not yet connected to the internet. When I had that problem at first there was some text at the bottom of the launcher showing connection status. Sometimes I started the game and then when I quit the game the launcher would be connected. Don't know if that helps at all but might be worth a try.

Also when I first tried to register the game wouldn't accept my Witcher 1 password but after the first patch it would. In fact when I tried to create a new account I got the message that my email address was already in the system.

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/04/11 06:36 PM

Thanks, oldman, but the the Register option is not grayed out in the game launcher. It tells me I'm entering an invalid password, although I know it's the right one. When I select the "can't remember password," it says a password recovery email was sent, but nothing is ever sent.

I tried to to go the Community where I am registered, but the Login and Register options are grayed out there.

I give up!

Re: The witcher 2 - 06/05/11 05:04 PM

Wooooweeeeeee guys, this thread has gotten long. I'm closing this one, but never fear. I made a new one with lots and lots of room for posting Here.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community