GB HOMEPAGE

Dragon Age: Origins

Posted By: Smiley456

Dragon Age: Origins - 05/08/11 02:16 PM

I finally got to buy the game at a nice price smile And I've made a lot of progress. I've made it to Orzammar (saving Denerim for last). But I'm confused about who is the best choice to support, Bhelen or Harrowmont? frown
Posted By: Karsten

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 05/08/11 09:08 PM

You can support who you like, but know there will be consequences your choices. Also note, that at least for one quest in Orzammer will require you to leave Orzammer. And you can just pop into Denerim and leave again. Orzammer is really made for being last, because at some point after this, I think, the game will lock you down to the Landsmeet, which is the point of no return for this game.

As for the choice, why not let it depend on who you play as; playing as a Dalish Elf, I supported Harrowmount, the Dwarf that stood for tradition.
Playing as a Human Noble or a Mage would give your a slightly different perspective. Notice, though that the trip through the Deep Roads is indeed a very long -amen- one...(and I found it too long, personally...)
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 05/09/11 01:56 PM

Thanks Karsten wave

Which one did you decide on Smiley?
Posted By: Smooshmonster

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 05/10/11 05:02 PM

Hi Smiley. It really doesn't make that much of a difference on the short term. They give you different tasks to begin with but their second and third tasks are the same. Plus you can do Bhelen's first task, then switch and side with Harrowmont and do his first task.
There's no real right or wrong choice though! I tried both on different playthroughs. It depends on who you like more, and what you value more, really.

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 05/12/11 01:04 PM

Thanks for the help and advice everyone smile Unfortunately I haven't been able to get back to playing the game. Since I have a busy week coming up, with a huge exam frown And in week 21 I have to finish writing the last paper before I can enjoy the game once again frown

But I managed to start a new character a few days ago, so I think that I'll support Harrowmont (playing as a human noble) and go for Bhelen when I play as an elf grin

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 05/12/11 03:32 PM

luck

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 05/12/11 06:31 PM

Thanks smile I'm currently taking a break from the studying, and I'm in the Circle Tower. But I'm having trouble finding the last page for activating the Watchguard of the Reaching quest. Does anyone perhaps know where I might find it? (Been going by the walkthrough over at GameBanshee)

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 05/12/11 07:54 PM

There's a Dragon Age Wiki

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Watchguard_of_the_Reaching

I also had some trouble finding the last note in this quest and this wikia for Origins really helped me out smile

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 05/12/11 11:19 PM

Hit tab if you're having trouble locating things. It highlights all interactive things on the screen, and makes little scattered notes easy to find.

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 05/13/11 12:36 AM

Ya'll need to be careful at Wiki...I picked up a rather nasty virus there from a streaming video. It took several days to completely remove. I no longer go to Wiki. sad

Other than that warning, Thanks Karsten and Smoosh! wave

Did that help Smiley? luck

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 05/15/11 09:52 PM

Yep, it did help grin But does the "Maleficarum Regrets" codex that you get on the blood mage corpse (Lothering) lead to anything?

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 05/16/11 02:59 PM

Smiley, according to Gamefaqs and IGN, it is supposed to lead to a side quest. wave

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 05/17/11 09:33 PM

Hmm.... I think I found the hidden stuff. Just finished The Mage's Treasure, though grin But where might I finds the rest of The Black Vials? (I've found the first, fourth and fifth)

Edit: Nevermind, I messed up the boots for the Ancient Elven Armor, which was in Lothering frown

How ever, how much supplies do I have to add to the allied supply crate, before it's enough? (wasn't able to find any info about that)

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 05/27/11 04:29 PM

The dialogue with the representatives will usually change. It starts out with something along the lines of "every little helps" and in the end it is more like "We'll be superawesome".

However, never stop dumping stuff into the supply crates if you can afford to. You get xp for every little thing you donate. It's a good way to level up.

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 05/27/11 05:00 PM

The allies supplies crate needs a lot of supplies, please pay attention to what they say they need. Mages need runes, I think, the more the better. And they need good runes as well.
Elves need something else, can't remember what it is right now. (elfroot, I think?)

I've found the DA wikia a great place for info on this - and not just this...in DA2..

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 06/02/11 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Smooshmonster
The dialogue with the representatives will usually change. It starts out with something along the lines of "every little helps" and in the end it is more like "We'll be superawesome".

However, never stop dumping stuff into the supply crates if you can afford to. You get xp for every little thing you donate. It's a good way to level up.

So basicly it's just to dump everything that you can find/afford into the supply crate?

I got the Ultimate Edition last week grin so I'm heading towards Denerim now to do some quests, before visiting the dwarfs.

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 06/04/11 04:00 PM

Yeah everything you don't need. A lot of the stuff might look like selling-fodder but it's actually more useful if you dump it in the crates, like topazes and amethysts. I think you get about 10 xp for each item you donate, and you can keep donating.
Posted By: Trail_Mystic

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 06/05/11 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: looney4labs
Ya'll need to be careful at Wiki...I picked up a rather nasty virus there from a streaming video. It took several days to completely remove. I no longer go to Wiki. sad

Other than that warning, Thanks Karsten and Smoosh! wave

Did that help Smiley? luck

It's really a shame when good resources like that are invaded by individuals with a chip on their shoulder.

Did you report the virus to the wiki's webmaster? That way they can clean it up, shore up their security and make it safer for all us clueless folks lol
Posted By: hagatha

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 06/08/11 01:40 AM

I've been sucked back into the DA:O vortex and am playing what I believe to be my fifth game. Assassin, me; lots of dual-wielding and sneakery.

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 06/08/11 02:06 AM

Trail, they already knew about it and removed it. That's how I figured out where and how I picked it up.

Hagatha, I love dual wielding and sneakery. wave

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 06/08/11 03:58 AM

In this game I'm playing a Dalish elf Rogue, which sort of makes sense to me, from a role-playing perspective. But my previous rogue was a human noble. Now I have to ask myself, why would a young noblewoman learn the art of thieving and backstabbing? Ah. Actually, come to think of it, those are precisely the arts one must need in order to become a noble in the first place. grin

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 06/12/11 05:34 AM

How it going in the game for you hagatha?
I'm just about to enter the castle in Redcliffe with my Dalish Elf grin

Edit: never mind, I figured it out regarding the Reaver skill. But how do you get the last two skills in "Power of Blood"? Since it has been bugging me quite some time now think

Posted By: Tracy

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 06/13/11 03:05 PM

Hi everyone. I've been intrigued by the Dragon Age games for awhile, but haven't played them. I'm just wondering what the first one is like compared to say Oblivion or Morrowind?

Thanks so much!
Tracy smile

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 06/13/11 05:13 PM

Tracy, I'm betting that DA is not nearly as huge or as open as Oblivion or Morrowind, but will have to wait for a vet of all 3 games to confirm that. wave

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 06/13/11 05:43 PM

The main difference between games like Oblivion, Morrowind and Dragon Age: Origins is that in Oblivion, you can do pretty much whhat you like when you like it. IN DA:O, you can't; the game will end after the main quest is finished.

In games like DA:O, you also get introduced tp the story, then there's sort of a prologue, and after this the game areas opens up for you. This means you can travel to any location everywhere.
[There's a recommended path to follow though).

In Oblivion, if you want to skip going to the Priory, you can just do that. And return later.
You can, as I did, just raid the fortresses, the caves and the dungeons around the Imperial Lake.
Posted By: Tracy

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 06/13/11 11:03 PM

Ah...thanks for the great info you guys. Although I love my Elder Scrolls games I think I'm going to give Dragon Age a try---the graphics are so pretty that I don't think I can resist them anyway. wink

Tracy

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 06/14/11 04:46 AM

Dragon Age is a lot of fun, one of my favourite games these days. I'm a veteran of Morrowind and Oblivion, but those games take a considerable investment in time; they're endless, really. As mentioned above, they are also pretty much free-wheeling in terms of where you go and what you do, limited only by the level of the enemies in a given area, and that only for a while.

Dragon Age has almost no exploring; the map areas are small (some of them tiny) and there aren't that many of them. The game focuses much more on story and party member interactions, like the old Baldur's Gate games. Much of the game is about your party members, in fact, and how you relate to them. You aren't playing the game to gawk at the scenery, in other words. You're playing to resolve quests, meet new party members, rake in some cool loot, have a romance or two, and save the world (of course).

After playing both Dragon Age games, I'm concluding that Dragon Age Origins (with its expansions)is the superior game with a greater replay value. It has a much stronger story line and the game areas are far less physically restricted. But that's only my opinion, and both are great fun.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 06/14/11 06:29 PM

I didn't feel the original Baldur's Gate had no exploring, hagatha woozy

I crossed vast tracts of land and visited many places - all of which I explored.
And I had a wonderful time doing so laugh

I felt there was less exploring in Baldur's Gate 2, though.
And I didn't like all the time that needed to be spent underground.
Way too many dungeons for me. I got bored !! lol

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 06/21/11 03:34 AM

True, the original Baldur's Gate had quite a bit of to-ing and fro-ing, but even that was nothing compared to Morrowind. Dragon Age is more restricted than that, or at least it feels that way to me. Dragon Age 2 is really restricted in terms of where you can go.

But I wonder if the change in perspective from top down to eye level is why it feels so much more restricted? Maybe being able to see the whole map, as in Baldur's Gate, makes the areas feel larger.

Anyway, they're all wonderful games. It will be a long time before I'm sick of Dragon Age. I do think I've finally played my last game of BG2, but that's after about 25 starts and about 20 finishes.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 06/21/11 09:13 AM

"I do think I've finally played my last game of BG2, but that's after about 25 starts and about 20 finishes."

WOW !!!! Now that's dedication rah

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - 06/22/11 03:21 AM

Yep, I loved that game. Still do. It's just that these days I like the idea of playing the game more than actually doing it, and so I give up part of the way way through. One of these days I suppose I might haul it out and try a solo mage or a mage/thief plus Anomen game just for the heck of it.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community