GB HOMEPAGE

Bioware closing their forums on Augsut 26 th 2016

Posted By: Karsten

Bioware closing their forums on Augsut 26 th 2016 - 08/24/16 05:39 PM

During my travels on the internet, I found this newsbit. I hadn't seen it mentioned before. That's why I'm making this newspost about this:

Conal Pierse from Bioware explains:

"After great consideration, we are closing down the BioWare forums, effective August 26, 2016. The Star Wars: The Old Republic forums will continue to operate; however, our public boards for Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and legacy BioWare titles will no longer be available.
This wasn’t an easy decision. Our players are important to us. Your feedback, stories, and love for our games drive and inspire us. In the past, our forums were the only way we could speak to you directly. They allowed our developers to talk with fans, and gave our players the opportunity to talk with each other about our games. But with the rise of social media and geek culture, there have never been more ways for us to connect. Now we can travel around the world, meeting with you face-to-face at events like PAX, SDCC, and even shows in our own backyard. We can share stories with you on the go, giving you a look behind the scenes on sites like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram."
source:

https://forum.bioware.com/topic/574907-concerning-our-forums/page-1

Much speculation abounds in the abovementioned thread as to why this happens now. We can speculate from on to eternity. The (sad) deal is that this is happening - in a litle bit. Conal Pierse writes this, though:

"Because we know there is a lot of information on there you may want to keep, the public boards will remain in a read-only state until October 25, 2016. After that date, they will be taken down. While we are saying goodbye to this venue, we remain committed to our community and will always be here to listen, share, and support you. Online and in person, we will continue to seek out opportunities to interact and share in our combined love of games."
source: same as above.

If you want information on the bioware games e.g. if you want to play Baldur's Gates, or Dragon Age or even Mass Effect games again, there are some places, you can go. These places are listed in the last post here - thanks to son of Imoen who started the thread:

https://forum.bioware.com/topic/575745-a-farewell-to-old-times/

Posted By: Marian

Re: Bioware closing their forums on Augsut 26 th 2016 - 08/24/16 06:01 PM

Thanks for this news. I imagine there are players that won't be too happy about this decision. Not everyone is a fan of, or uses, social media. wave
Posted By: gremlin

Re: Bioware closing their forums on Augsut 26 th 2016 - 08/24/16 06:18 PM

Insane decision that all too many companies (newspapers and games publishers in particular) are making because 'they value the conversation' with their readers/fans. <Facepalm>

And keeping the forums read-only for just two months ... that's either an admission that there's no content in the forums (eg. solutions to technical problems) worth keeping, or they REALLY just don't care any more.
Posted By: Trail_Mystic

Re: Bioware closing their forums on Augsut 26 th 2016 - 08/24/16 08:03 PM

The decision in a case like this is usually to help their bottom line. Game houses are corporate driven like most larger businesses in this "dynamic" global economy, unfortunately.

I might have to see how genuine that face to face comment was and make an A/V Skype appointment with one of their Program Managers next time I have a gaming question. lol
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: Bioware closing their forums on Augsut 26 th 2016 - 08/24/16 08:48 PM

I posted this in the Star Wars: The Old Republic thread.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Bioware closing their forums on Augsut 26 th 2016 - 08/25/16 12:01 AM

Let us know how that works, Trail rotfl
Posted By: hagatha

Re: Bioware closing their forums on Augsut 26 th 2016 - 08/25/16 01:31 AM

I must be a dinosaur. I don't use social media at all.
Posted By: Templeton Peck

Re: Bioware closing their forums on Augsut 26 th 2016 - 08/25/16 03:52 AM

I haven't been as big a fan of Bioware since they were bought by EA and all of the original founders of the company left.

I think Trail is bang on though with this being about money. They probably want people to just use Origin and the EA Forums.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Bioware closing their forums on Augsut 26 th 2016 - 08/25/16 08:39 AM

Originally Posted By: hagatha
I must be a dinosaur. I don't use social media at all.

I don't use it either - and never intend to !! whistle
© 2024 GameBoomers Community