GB HOMEPAGE

Divinity Original Sin II

Posted By: oldman

Divinity Original Sin II - 09/23/16 08:18 PM

I saw that this game was released on 15 Sep. Is anyone playing it yet?

I'm wondering if it is any easier or harder than Divinity Original sin 1. The enhanced edition had a battle towards the end that I just couldn't get past and had to give up on even though I was able to make it through on the original edition (not enhanced).

I have it on my wish list in Steam and am still undecided as to purchase it or not.
Posted By: Trail_Mystic

Re: Divinity Original Sin II - 09/23/16 08:45 PM

Another to add to the list.

I haven't heard/read anything on how difficult any of the boss battles are, but it's getting some good initial ratings.

It's listed as an early access release though, so basically a beta - meaning bugs or as they say "rough edges."

Re: Divinity Original Sin II - 09/23/16 10:42 PM

I missed the part where it was a Beta. I guess the final is an Alpha?

Anyway I think I'll wait until the finished version is released.

Finished my second playthrough of Dishonored and made it through on Low Chaos (sleep arrows made it possible) so now am looking again.

Mafia III is two weeks away so I guess that will be my next.
Posted By: Trail_Mystic

Re: Divinity Original Sin II - 09/24/16 01:15 AM

Alpha is the first phase of extensive testing (there's also some spot testing of specific code/functions prior to and also during, known as Unit or Smoke Testing, depending on who's doing it.) There's some back and forth on the definitions of Alpha testing, generally it's developers or experienced technical testers looking at the functions of the code rather than all the quest and story detail stuff. The definition from a purely I/T perspective has been somewhat bent due to development houses pulling in gamer volunteers to help in Alpha. For those who haven't done it before it can be a little disconcerting entering a building and finding it to be all "wire frame" without any texture. Not uncommon in that phase.

Beta is when the code and a decent percentage of the game experience has been tested, there are still known defects that are being worked (sometimes a lot of them), but should be aesthetically complete. Caveat with those is that it's still very possible to come across game breaking bugs.

The "final," which again in today's world takes on a definition that seems to be set by each Development House is sometimes called a Production Release or Release Candidate. There was a time, when a release candidate wasn't actually put out for public consumption until it went through another phase of testing. New development methodologies (which I don't agree with) push everything out faster, basically using the consumer as the final tester.

grin

Re: Divinity Original Sin II - 09/24/16 08:00 AM

Thanks for the info Trail. Anyway I'm not going to pay for a Beta release so will wait until they have a finished product.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Divinity Original Sin II - 09/26/16 08:39 PM

I'm still playing Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition and thoroughly enjoying myself dance
I haven't yet reached the game stopping area oldman mentions though scared
[RPGs can take me months to get through lol]

But I'll be following the progress of this second Divinity game with interest smile
© 2024 GameBoomers Community