GB HOMEPAGE

Morrowind Again ;-)

Posted By: Mad

Morrowind Again ;-) - 09/27/19 03:24 PM

Have been reminiscing to myself quite a bit about Morrowind, lately, so last night I re-installed it to my WinXP machine and today have been happily wandering around the opening scenes.
I do so still love this oldie dance dance dance
Posted By: Marian

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 09/27/19 03:48 PM

I was watching YouTube videos of Morrowind a few days ago and was so tempted to fire it up again, so funny you should mention this now. I was also reading some old Morrowind threads here where people were playing together and having the best time - it was lots of fun to read (you were one of the posters). smile

And I can hear the music in my head while I am typing this. dance

Here's one of the threads I was reading. thumbsup
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 09/27/19 04:14 PM

On, jeepers... now you guys have me thinking about playing this one again! I have it on my other Windows 10 drive.

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 09/27/19 06:17 PM

Thanks for the link to that old thread, Marian. Very much enjoyed having a read of it evil

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 09/27/19 07:09 PM

I thought you would enjoy that, Mad. Good times! happydance

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 09/27/19 08:10 PM

That made me sad to read... Hawkavonpuka passed away several years ago and I still miss her.

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 09/27/19 08:32 PM

It is sad, I agree, but everyone was having such a good time that overall I think it's a nice thing to still be able to access and remember.

I too miss many of our forum members who have passed on.

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 09/27/19 09:04 PM

I agree... it was nice to read how much fun everyone was having! It just tugged my heart a little bit.

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 09/27/19 09:05 PM

Of course. I know how it feels to lose a good friend. hug

I enjoyed reading Syd's posts in that thread too. What a great sense of humor she has. smile
Posted By: hagatha

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 09/30/19 04:29 AM

I played Morrowind a few months ago. And then Oblivion. Some games never really get old, do they?

Instead of firing up Skyrim again, though, I installed Enderal. Having a blast, since it's all new to me, and different enough from Skyrim that I have to stay on my toes. The Steam version is pretty good, though I've had some crashes.

I'm going to read through that thread, too. Thanks for the link.

EDIT: I see many people on those old threads that are no longer among us. That makes me sad.

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 09/30/19 02:02 PM

It's hard to believe that eleven years have passed since that thread. It really does almost seem like yesterday to me.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 09/30/19 05:08 PM

I found these cheats for Morrowind:

Originally Posted by archive of xcheater
During gameplay, press ~ for the console. Now type any of the following "Codes". The format is 'player->(cheat)':

Code - Effect
TGM - God Mode
Help - List of Debugging Commands
SetFlying 0/1 - Toggle Flying Mode
SetSuperJump 0/1 - Toggle Super Jump
SetWaterWalking 0/1 - Toggle Walk on Water
SetWaterBreathing 0/1 - Toggle Water Breathing
SetLevel (level) - Set Player Level to (level)
AddItem "Gold_100" (amount) - Adds (amount) of Gold to Player
SetFatigue (fatigue) - Sets Player Maximal Fatigue to (fatigue)
SetMagicka (magic) - Sets Player Maximal Magic to (magic)
SetHealth (health) - Sets Player Maximal Health to (health)
ToggleAI - Toggle CPU AI
FillJournal - Fill Journal
FillMap - View Whole Map

Anyone tried the fly mode or the super jump?
Do these cheats work for download versions fo the game?

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/01/19 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Marian
It's hard to believe that eleven years have passed since that thread. It really does almost seem like yesterday to me.

I remember writing some of those posts. That was back before I retired. A long time ago!

How time slips away.

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/01/19 10:22 PM

And I remember reading some of your posts, hagatha. I have always enjoyed them. wave

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/02/19 09:40 AM

Hi Jenny100.

I have Morrowind (incl. expansions) fully installed in WinXP but not from downloads.
So I can only confirm that those I tried with my disk version last time did work - which, of course, is not much help.
(So far, for this play, I've just used God Mode but I'm sure others will be fine if I try any of them.)

Sorry not to be of more help frown

EDIT :

My Morrowind is the one disk "Game of the Year edition and the download from GOG is that edition too.
So I'm willing to bet the cheats that work with mine will also work with the GOG release.
Is that the download you have ??

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/02/19 02:15 PM

Yes, I have the GOG version, which I bought in a recent sale.

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/02/19 02:57 PM

Well I tried the "water breathing" cheat just now - as a test - and it worked.
So I'm nearly sure the cheats would work for you, too yes
(You DO have to be accurate where you leave spaces when typing any of the codes.)

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/02/19 03:53 PM

That's great, Mad.
Thanks for checking.

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/02/19 04:41 PM

You are very welcome, Jenny100 grin

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/03/19 03:42 AM

Okay, now I have the Morrowind music stuck in my head. That almost always leads to a game install. lol

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/03/19 12:55 PM

Nice music to HAVE stuck in your head, though, hagatha laugh

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/03/19 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by hagatha
Okay, now I have the Morrowind music stuck in my head. That almost always leads to a game install. lol

I hear you on that one! That music is indelibly etched into my brain. thumbsup

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/03/19 06:02 PM

If I ever play Morrowind again (which is inevitable) I'll have to FORCE myself to play something other than a Sneak/Mage combo. Maybe a Sneak/Warrior combo for a change. I can't remember ever ruling a house other than Telvanni. I mean, apart from ruling the Thieves, Tong, Mages, Fighters, and a couple of others, sometimes all at once, since Morrowind generously allows you to do so.

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/03/19 06:07 PM

Yes, I need to branch out with my type of character too. I tend to stick with the same thing all the time and ought to try something else for a change.

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/05/19 02:41 PM

I am shamefaced to confess that I always go for the "goodie goodie" character - such as the Noble Knight.
Just can't seem to bring myself to be "horrible" lol

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/10/19 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mad
I am shamefaced to confess that I always go for the "goodie goodie" character - such as the Noble Knight.

I think I must have been a very naughty person in another life, since I seem to take to thievery and murder awfully easily in these games..... whistle

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/10/19 04:46 AM

Me too, hagatha!

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/10/19 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mad

I think I must have been a very naughty person in another life, since I seem to take to thievery and murder awfully easily in these games..... whistle

Oh, no !! I doubt that, hagatha. You're good at RPG's and seem able to handle anything that's thrown at you. And that's the truth bravo

[I do have to add I often read your posts more than once just to enjoy your signature line. It's SO brilliantly funny lol]

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/10/19 07:44 PM

I agree, Mad.. best signature line hands down!

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/10/19 08:01 PM

I was *just* reading that signature line again yesterday, and smiling to myself! grin

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/12/19 01:06 AM

Oh, gosh, I had no idea it was such a hit. It was my way of describing Mr. Nameless and the other characters in the Gothic games.
Posted By: Trail_Mystic

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/14/19 03:39 AM

Yay, Morrowind arises from the ashes!

Been awhile since I fired up this game. If I had the time I would definitely join the party. Alas, real life has been a brutal task master these past weeks and I must toil for awhile longer. *places back of hand to forehead in a dramatic gesture of self pity* lol

Hope everyone is having fun!

TM wave

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/14/19 04:57 AM

Work IS a four-letter word., after all. If it weren't for that paying-the-rent-and-buying-food nonsense, nobody would have to do it.

Fortunately I was able to retire early. Now I play all day, be it indoors on my computer, outdoors in the boat with whales, or in the woods with, occasionally, bears scared.

I highly recommend retirement, and you must get there as soon as you can.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/14/19 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Trail_Mystic
Yay, Morrowind arises from the ashes!

Been awhile since I fired up this game. If I had the time I would definitely join the party. Alas, real life has been a brutal task master these past weeks and I must toil for awhile longer. *places back of hand to forehead in a dramatic gesture of self pity* lol

Hope everyone is having fun!

TM wave

Trail, I am so happy just to see you here again! We have missed you! I hope it slows down for you soon! hearts

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/14/19 02:01 PM

Yes, nice to see you here, Trail! yes

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/14/19 02:26 PM

Trail! Can't tell you how good it is to see you here! Hope things ease up for you at some point.

I'm with hagatha… retirement is living the dream!

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/14/19 05:18 PM

I've been retired for many years now, which is a good thing really, seeing as it takes me MONTHS to play an RPG.
Even one I like as much as Morrowind shocked
[ 'Course I do spend quite a lot of that time as well dreamin' of becoming a "fancy-pantsy Elven dagger-twirler" rotfl]

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/14/19 10:55 PM

Oddly, most of my Morrowind characters have turned out to be just that: Elven dagger-twirlers, with Deadric daggers enchanted with Soul Trap. And yes to the fancy-pantsy, because Morrowind allows you to wear exquisite robes over your Elven Armour, and how good is that, swishing around the Ashlands in enchanted silk robes? Doesn't every Dark Elf woman dream of such things?

No matter how long I play these games, I always come back to thinking that Morrowind is the best one. It's more difficult, for a start, and there's the endless wandering around looking for places. More frustrating, for sure. The landscape is so much more unrelenting. But it just seems like the games' complexity makes it endlessly replayable. The Enchanting function is amazing. And I do love being able to level up just by making potions in the safety of the Mage's Guild.

One of these days I might even play a tough guy in Morrowind.

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/15/19 12:02 AM

And I've only played "tough guys" in Morrowind! I think I need to try a more "fancy pants dagger twirling" character!

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/15/19 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Draclvr
And I've only played "tough guys" in Morrowind! I think I need to try a more "fancy pants dagger twirling" character!

Well, there is something really enjoyable, in a twisted, what-is-wrong-with-you sort of way, in sneaking right up behind a Golden Saint and dealing the coup-de-grace with a mere dagger. grin

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/15/19 01:11 AM

In the past, I've usually done the trick where you assign all but a few skills that you'll actually use, so my character's level doesn't increase too quickly. Then I started trying to specialize, and I almost always end up playing some form of a Battle Mage, Spellsword or something similar. I dig running into a fight swinging a sword or axe in one hand and throwing fireballs with the other. evil

Due to my crazy travel schedule, I'm running between three states and only have the weekends home. That said, I did decided that I deserved to do a couple game pre-orders. So, when I actually do have some down time, which I think will be near the first of the year, I'll have something new to play. Looking forward to jumping into Obsidian's "The Outer Worlds" and of course Borderlands 3. Hoping the latter lives up to all the hype the trailers have been pushing. That new Siren vault-hunter, Amara with the Eastern vibe looks like a bada** character, and pretty much their version of just what I was talking about, a battle mage. thumbsup

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/15/19 03:56 PM

In the past, I've usually done the trick where you assign all but a few skills that you'll actually use, so my character's level doesn't increase too quickly. Then I started trying to specialize, and I almost always end up playing some form of a Battle Mage, Spellsword or something similar. I dig running into a fight swinging a sword or axe in one hand and throwing fireballs with the other. evil

In my first game of Morrowind I ended up at some ridiculously high level very quickly because of the way I assigned my skills. After that I also assigned my skills more judiciously, only assigning one of my main skills, like one-handed, so I didn't get taken out by a mudcrab early in the game. Because that's just embarrassing.

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/15/19 07:19 PM

In my first game of Morrowind I ended up at some ridiculously high level very quickly because of the way I assigned my skills. After that I also assigned my skills more judiciously, only assigning one of my main skills, like one-handed, so I didn't get taken out by a mudcrab early in the game. Because that's just embarrassing.

I think everyone has had that embarrassing moment when first playing Morrowind, of getting killed by the "caterpillar" just outside Seyda Neen. I remember sitting back and thinking, "OK, I got killed by a bug. We're gonna need a bigger boat." lol

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/16/19 07:39 PM

Yes. I got caught by that bug too - the first time I played the game redface

But what I still do every time I start a re-play is jump out of my skin when that "body" seemingly drops out of the sky scared

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/17/19 12:08 AM

[quote=Mad]But what I still do every time I start a re-play is jump out of my skin when that "body" seemingly drops out of the sky scared[/quote

It's so unexpected -- and turns out to be really the only time something like this happens for the rest of the game, which makes it so amusing. The first time it nearly landed on me I thought, "Wait, what?" and reloaded, thinking I'd run into a bug.

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/17/19 07:45 PM

Ah yes, he who bestoeth the holy head gear from the church of the Calovian Fur Helm. lol

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/18/19 04:57 AM

Sometimes when I'm around annoying people I think "You swit!" And that word perfectly describes someone who is less than an insect and who is in your way and thus must receive a thorough thrashing talking-to.

(I once called someone a Taffer, unfortunately out loud. They didn't know exactly what it meant, but they understood it all the same).

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/18/19 05:52 PM

Ordinators were always good at dropping insults when they didn't think your character was worth the time of day. "Dirty N'wah" or "Fetcher" I think were the most common. Made the mistake of smacking one in an early play through, quickest game of Morrowind ever. smile

Speaking of the temple, here's a hilareous take of a Morrowind action figure by someone on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Morrowind/comments/diibiv/morrowind_action_figure/

grin

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/18/19 06:54 PM

That made me laugh, Trail! If I weren't in the midst of Nightmare level in Diablo II Lord of Destruction, I swear I'd start a game of Morrowind!

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/18/19 08:30 PM

Made me laugh too !! Thank you !! laugh

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/19/19 04:03 PM

In case anyone is interested, along with the efforts that have been running to port Morrowind into the Skyrim engine, there is also a group that's been improving on, and expanding the original Morrowind to include the land masses surrounding Vvardenfell (where Morrowind is found) through the Tamriel Rebuilt effort. You can read about it here: https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org

An example of work connected with the effort was just released, a mod with the city of Karthwasten, pretty cool stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=ySvnGyFItn0

TM thumbsup

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/19/19 08:50 PM

Thanks for that link, TM. Definitely liked what I saw !! thumbsup

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 10/21/19 05:35 PM

Darn it. Skyrim music in my head now. grin

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 12/05/19 10:40 PM

Still consumed by Morrowind and re-living the joys of wandering around, completely lost, searching for that elusive location of a particular tomb or cave !!

Totally Riotous rotfl rotfl

I do SO love this game 👍

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 12/05/19 10:41 PM

So you're still playing it since the last time you posted in this thread? That's fantastic! happydance12

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 12/05/19 11:02 PM

Oh, I'll be playing it for months, maybe even years yet, Marian !!

I play so slowly and only for short-ish sessions at a time. Plus there is that awful urge to do every quest and investigate every tomb and cave shame

Definitely out of control, eh ?? lol

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 12/05/19 11:04 PM

Out of control in the best possible way, Mad! bravo

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 12/06/19 06:45 AM

hamster hamster hamster
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 12/06/19 09:16 AM

WOW! That looks fantastic!

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 12/07/19 12:43 AM

I do love Morrowind. I played it earlier this year and enjoyed it just as much as always. Of course it helps that I know where a lot of the good loot is hidden. The dungeons and ruins in Morrowind are so much better than the ones in Oblivion and Skyrim. They aren't nearly as generic. And there's nothing better than filling those Grand Soul Gems and making stuff.

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 12/07/19 05:52 AM

Do you always play a "complete" game when you re-play, hagatha ??

(Mind boggling if you do !! praise)

By "complete" I mean inclusive of all expansions - which is how I attempt it yes

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 12/08/19 04:18 AM

I usually do play with the expansions but I don't even try to complete all the quests. I'll pick a faction and run with it.

I am a fast player, though, since I always play sneak/archer/one-handed and that level you up faster than just about anything.

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 12/08/19 11:36 PM

Maybe I should try playing that way myself, next time !!
I would probably get through the game much faster and yet not lose any of the enjoyment 😬

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 12/09/19 11:23 PM

I think my last game of Morrowind took about a month, but that's not difficult for a retired person. Plus, I remember where everything is once I get into the game.

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 12/10/19 05:08 PM

I've never managed to get through an RPG in a month lol

[Even using God Mode for the most difficult bits !!]

I'm just not a good enough RPG player .... although I do very much enjoy my attempts wink

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 12/10/19 11:55 PM

Sneak 100 + Archery 100 + Enchanted Deadric bow = dead enemies. Fast. Or Sneak 100 + One-handed 100 + Enchanted sword with Absorb Health = dead enemies.

I still really enjoy all of these games. I even got my hubby all set up on Oblivion but I think he's too confused about character creation to start playing. It may not ever be his thing anyway, though he's talked about it for years.

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 12/11/19 06:20 AM

I played over half of Oblivion but began to feel it was getting too "same-ish" everywhere I went and so eventually stopped playing it.
But I will probably have another go at some time 😬

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 12/12/19 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mad
I played over half of Oblivion but began to feel it was getting too "same-ish" everywhere I went and so eventually stopped playing it.
But I will probably have another go at some time 😬

Totally understandable Mad. Oblivion is sort of an exercise in re-usability. Bethesda was a bit shameless in the way they duplicated the dungeons and Elvin ruins. There's also an awful lot of scavenger hunt style quests. All that said, I still like to give it a run through now and again. smile

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 12/12/19 03:55 AM

I enjoy Oblivion for a few reasons. It's easy to get into and easy to level up. It's colourful compared to the others. Sean Bean. The assassin's guild and my lovely undead horse. I love all the houses, always buy all of them, and fully furnish them. Did I mention Sean Bean?

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 12/12/19 05:18 PM

My favorite character quote from Oblivion when your sneak is at 100% and your all enchanted up beyond that: After shooting an NPC square in the eye with an arrow while sneaking, NPC, "Huh, must have been the wind" lol

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 12/13/19 07:07 AM

I did notice your mention of Sean Bean, hagatha !! lol

But, TM, as I'm never likely to reach such dizzy heights with character stats I probably won't ever get to hear that SO cool dialogue laugh

Re: Morrowind Again ;-) - 12/13/19 10:33 PM

My favorite character quote from Oblivion when your sneak is at 100% and your all enchanted up beyond that: After shooting an NPC square in the eye with an arrow while sneaking, NPC, "Huh, must have been the wind" lol

I don't recall that quote, but it's wickedly funny.

You've got to love Sean Bean. I mean, pretty much every character he plays ends up dead. It's almost like he's been type cast as the noble dead guy.

And of course I forgot Patrick Stewart, an actor whose voice is so distinctive I realized it was him immediately.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community