GB HOMEPAGE

creamy charleston crab casserole

Posted By: family

creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/07/19 08:07 PM

calls for sherry can i use fish broth instead,, for the all purpose flour bisquick. cool blackkitty catrub lab puppy it is paula deen, i thought the other was too much money.
Posted By: lspace

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/07/19 09:20 PM

You can but it will change the taste.

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/07/19 10:29 PM

thank you very much.
Posted By: Sparkle

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/07/19 10:38 PM

Also, Bisquick contains shortening, salt, and baking powder. Check to see if these ingredients are duplicated in the recipe. You may have to make adjustments or the dish may not come out as expected. I'd stick with all-purpose flour, just to keep things simple.

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/07/19 11:00 PM

thank you very much.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/08/19 05:16 AM

Bisquick is great stuff, but NOT a substitute for flour. As Sprarkle says, it has other things in it that might not work.

Most cooking sherry is absolutely dreadful stuff and not worth buying or using. If you want to keep the taste as close as possible, just use a bit of dry white wine. I also read that you can use apple cider as a substitute, but not sure that is a taste you want. I think I'd just use chicken or fish broth if you can find it.

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/08/19 05:26 AM

thank you guys very much.

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/08/19 07:06 AM

family, sometimes you just need to make a few changes and tweaks to a recipe to make it YOURS! It doesn't have to follow the recipe perfectly. I do it all the time.

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/09/19 03:06 PM

instead of gravy can i use pasta for creamy charleston crab casserole

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/09/19 04:43 PM

I don't think so. Why would you? It's best to stick to the recipe as much as possible, If it calls for gravy, pasta is not a reasonable alternative. As I've said before, chooose recipes that contain ingredients you like and have on hand or can easily find in your grocery store. Cooking doesn't have to be complicated if you follow the recipes. When Drac said to tweak I think she meant comparable ingredients. Some changes can completely change or ruin the dish.

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/09/19 05:05 PM

Most definitely... comparable ingredients. Gravy to pasta is not comparable. There is nothing to say you couldn't serve pasta as a side dish with the casserole though.

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/09/19 05:49 PM

i bought gravy already made, country gravy, 2 of them, and i found out it is cheese sauce, i never done it, so wish me luck. cool blackkitty catrub lab puppy

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/10/19 12:48 AM

family, none of the recipes I could find online for this casserole called for gravy. They all contain cheese. If you've never tried a dish before, you should stick with the recipe as much as possible, There's a big difference between cheese and gravy, especially when it comes to a seafood dish.

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/10/19 05:08 AM

it is from paula deen southern cooking bible cookbook.

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/10/19 08:13 AM

Now I'm confused. Does the Paula Deen recipe call for gravy or cheese sauce? Did you buy gravy or cheese sauce?

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/10/19 03:29 PM

https://books.google.com/books?id=jUw66q...qWmNg&sig=A

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/10/19 04:46 PM

I've been confused about EVERYTHING in this post!

I found the recipe and it doesn't call for either gravy or cheese sauce. You do a roux with butter and flour, add milk and cheddar and add the rest of the ingredients. Pour into a casserole dish and make a topping of bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese and seasonings.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/10/19 04:50 PM

Country gravy instead of grated cheese, fish broth instead of sherry (apple cider vinegar) and bisquick instead of all-purpose flour will definitely make an entirely different recipe. If it turns out delicious, you need to post your own recipe online! It would be unique!
I'm dying to hear how it turned out!

Ana wave

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/10/19 04:57 PM

i am following the recipe except the sherry, i posted it because sparkle could not find it cool blackkitty catrub lab puppy

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/10/19 06:20 PM

I wasn't looking for the recipe. I looked at other recipes for Charleston Crab Casserole and none had gravy in them. The instructions that Drac posted creates the cheese sauce. You don't need to buy gravy OR cheese sauce, just cheese.

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/10/19 06:41 PM

we made it, and it is cooking now.

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/10/19 08:53 PM

I kind of gave up trying to figure out what you were doing with this recipe, family! Pasta? Gravy? Packaged cheese sauce? None of which had anything to do with the recipe. Nope, had to give up. Hope it turns out well for you!
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/11/19 12:55 AM

I love Crab.... I love Crab... the only thing I want mixed with it is butter/lemon.....

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/11/19 12:59 AM

I'm with you, Winfrey! I don't get to eat it very often. Hubby is allergic to the iodine in all shellfish, so we seldom go anywhere that serves it.

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/11/19 03:01 AM

my hubby did not know it n needs to set, while sitting on stovetop, it turn out great.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/11/19 04:05 AM

Glad to hear it turned out great. Make sure you note what changes you might have made (what you used) so you can remember for next time.

Re: creamy charleston crab casserole - 02/11/19 05:08 AM

everything except the sherry.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community