GB HOMEPAGE

California Earthquakes

Posted By: Kaki's Sister

California Earthquakes - 07/06/19 12:43 PM

Has anyone on GB felt those 2 earthquakes in California on Thursday and Friday? My niece is flying to San Diego tomorrow (Sunday). They are still expecting more after shocks.
Posted By: Marian

Re: California Earthquakes - 07/06/19 01:26 PM

I felt the first one just a teeny, tiny bit while I was sitting at my computer; I felt it so very slightly that I wondered if I was imagining it. The second one I did not feel at all. I am about 270 miles away from the epicenter of the earthquakes.

Re: California Earthquakes - 07/06/19 01:36 PM

Glad to hear you are okay Marian. Are there more after shocks expected?
Posted By: Marian

Re: California Earthquakes - 07/06/19 01:41 PM

I read last night that since the first earthquake, there have been approximately 1400 aftershocks.

Here's an article from today about it.

Re: California Earthquakes - 07/06/19 02:04 PM

Thanks Marian for the update. Seems like a lot of uncertainty as to what to expect next.
Posted By: Space Quest Fan

Re: California Earthquakes - 07/06/19 03:16 PM

Stay safe Boomers. hearts
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: California Earthquakes - 07/06/19 03:30 PM

I was wondering also if anybody felt them.

Kaki's Sister, does your niece have to go there?
Posted By: Sorta Blonde

Re: California Earthquakes - 07/06/19 03:46 PM

San Diego has not yet fallen into the Pacific Ocean. rotfl I am 5 miles from the Mexican Border, and didn't feel earthquake one, but did the second one last night about 8:30. It took about 15 minutes for the tremor to travel down here from Ridgecrest. I was paying bills at my desk and thought a big truck had driven by outside. Then my tubular chimes on my grandfather clock started clanging together and all my chandelier were swaying. Only lasted about 30 second tops for everything to stop moving. Actual tremor only about 5 seconds. I thought it might be OUR earthquake but turned out to be from up there. We could have an earthquake here if things get to shaking enough. Still, safe around here, Been though many earthquakes with occasional minor damages. Brawley, CA quake in early 1975 was the most fun. Really hit hard on the night I returned from my Honeymoon. Things were shaking. No jokes please..ha. I was teaching school there and we has thousands of aftershocks. Each time, we had to decide to run outside or dive under tables. Eventually, after a week or so, we just ignored the shaking.

I'm still expecting something around here if things don't quiet down in Ridgecrest. One fault could affect others. If you really want to have some first hand knowledge of the San Andreas fault (nearest big one to me) you could travel to Riverside County CA and drive through Box Canyon, Painted Canyon (same main trail) and actually SEE the earth and rocks sticking up at angles along that fault line. Awesome to see. Was featured in many Earthquake based movies. Little dirt/sand road and on either side, huge hills of angled, sideways rocks. Really shows you what the earth can do. Probably on the net if you type in Box Canyon or Painted Canyon CA. Might show the formations. I'll have to look myself. I have my pictures from way back when I used to go hiking there.

We are safe so far down here. I'll update if anything major happens.

Re: California Earthquakes - 07/06/19 07:31 PM

Yes oldbroad she has to go for work. Sorta, please do keep us updated. Thanks.
Posted By: Mad

Re: California Earthquakes - 07/06/19 08:30 PM

Well do stay safe, all those of you who are within range smile
Posted By: soot

Re: California Earthquakes - 07/07/19 12:29 AM

Yes indeedy SortaB ... stay safe!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community