GB HOMEPAGE

IPad Only !!

Posted By: Mad

IPad Only !! - 09/03/19 06:03 PM

My Win7 machine took a serious nose dive at the weekend so I'm having to use my iPad for internet stuff - until my Son in Law is back home and available to collect and fix my machine shocked

As I hate typing on iPads my postings at GB and elsewhere are going to be pretty brief for a while frown
Posted By: Marian

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/03/19 06:07 PM

Hi Mad, I moved your post over to Mixed Bag, since you were not asking for technical help from GameBoomers (thank goodness for your son-in-law)!

I am really sorry to hear about your Windows 7 bombing out on you and I know how disruptive and disconcerting it can be when the computer suddenly falls ill.

You will be missed. Stop in when you can, and I hope things will be running smoothly again very soon. hearts
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/03/19 07:30 PM

Hopefully it's not a huge problem and he can fix your Win7 computer for you, Mad.

I think I would need an arrangement like this to type into an iPad properly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjh7zAuaw-0
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/03/19 08:40 PM

Ooh Mad. So sorry. I hope you are able to get it fixed soon!
Posted By: family

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/03/19 08:43 PM

i hope you fix it soon too, and so sorry.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/03/19 08:44 PM

I have a logitech K780 keyboard that you can use to type on phone, tablet and computer. I love it!

I hope you figure out a way to keep up your posts and that your SIL can get your computer up and running quickly!
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/03/19 10:13 PM

OMG! Did you see the guy's game collection in the video Jenny linked to!

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/03/19 10:42 PM

Thanks for the good wishes, folks smile

And, Jenny100, that old style "clickety" keyboard is what I still use. Because I've never found one that I like as much.
AND I have a brand new spare of the same type.

Same with my mouse. I still use the old style that has a rollerball inside. And I have TWO brand new spares of that lol

Fortunately,my KVM is able to handle both my old and new gadgets alike thumbsup

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/17/19 07:27 AM

My Win7 machine is doing well, according to my Son in Law, and so hopefully will be back with me fairly soon now.
JOY !!!!
dance dance dance

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/17/19 12:21 PM

yay It'll be like seeing an old friend again!

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/17/19 02:24 PM

Oh, that's SUCH good news!

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/17/19 03:22 PM

Yes, to you both !! hamster hamster hamster

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/17/19 04:43 PM

Thanks goodness Mad, but is he also going to hook you up with a Windows 10 machine or have you decided against that?

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/17/19 07:26 PM

My Son in Law works full time at a demanding job, so I need to say how much I appreciate the time he is willing to put in - building and where necessary repairing my machines.
And he refuses to accept any payment whatsoever for his labour.
(So I have to find other ways to repay him 🏆!!)

Anyway, after the "blue screen of death" experience I reported - and as soon he was available to come and collect my Win7 - he started on a diagnosis and quite quickly found the graphics card had failed. So he's fitted a temp. until I get to buy a good replacement.

Then my C: Drive ALSO failed and he had to put another in and re-build that shocked
(Thankfully, because of the backing up I regularly do, he says I will have only lost a very small amount of data. Which was SUCH good news yes)

Whilst he's got my machine, he's also fitting a caddy which will enable me to try out a reduced (?) version of Win10 - just for email and browsing - making a kind of "mini" dual boot system with some limited file sharing - to FORCE me into Win10 territory !!
(He scoffs at my "lack of enthusiasm" for embracing progress lol)

I think he'll be restoring email facilities next.
And after that I don't know ....

But it's all sounding pretty darn good to me yay

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/17/19 09:26 PM

I agree! GreyFuss was also forced into Windows 10 after a hard drive failure, but has found out it's pretty similar to Windows 7 and not nearly as bad as he thought it would be!

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/17/19 09:28 PM

That is GREAT news Mad! I know you can't wait to get it back - and try out that Win 10 wink.

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/17/19 11:42 PM

Oh, I've not been forced into trying a bit of Win10 because my Win7 got "wrecked".
Nothing of the sort. It isn't wrecked. And I'm quite sure it will be fine again shortly.
(As is my WinXP and Win98.)

I'm merely being "encouraged" to try something new - whether I have any desire to or not !! laugh

But I'm certainly not "dying to try it out".
I'm just allowing myself to give it some small consideration crazy

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/18/19 12:18 AM

I know that Mad. You see my smiley is winking!

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/18/19 05:32 PM

Oh, I DID notice the winking, oldbroad laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: soot

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/18/19 10:24 PM

Wow Jenny ... that's a great video ... thanks for posting

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/23/19 05:45 AM

Yahoo !! Got my computer back yesterday !! And with its snazzy little "Win10 Caddy" fitted, too bravo

So now I'll start to find out what I might have lost due to the breakdown - and ALSO get myself geared up to peaking at Win10 at some point.
[I got a crash course on the Win10 switch procedure yesterday so hopefully I will remember what to do scared]

Anyway. It is just SO lovely to have my machine back and be able give the old iPad a well deserved rest bravo

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/23/19 12:35 PM

It's like seeing an old friend, isn't it? So happy for you!
Posted By: Marian

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/23/19 01:28 PM

Very happy for you, Mad! I'm so glad your computer is home again, with a Windows 10 Caddy no less! Let us know how it goes. smile

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/23/19 01:55 PM

Doesn't that just make your day!

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/23/19 04:22 PM

woot woot
Posted By: butterflybabe

Re: IPad Only !! - 09/23/19 09:51 PM

Glad things worked out for you Mad.

Had a similar situation last year, and had no idea what was happening. Photoed the blue screen for IT friends at work who were completely clueless; pretty unusual for them. Since I had been working with wireless mouse and keyboard, they loaned me one of each with wires. Nothing worked. Found a pc guy who told me my 15 year old machine which had endured being moved and shuffled several times during my separation from my ex, was dead, motherboard was fried. He put the motherboard into a device that looked like a mini toaster, moved the toaster in different directions, and got nothing. Then took the motherboard home and put it into his freezer for a few hours, a trick he had been sporadically successful with for other clients. Still nothing.

I was critical of Dell because of it being the vendor for the pcs at work; not always happy with their performance. Guess that was because of being on a large net work. When PC guy suggested it and assured me it was a good buy; I accepted his judgement and, so far so good. But lost all files. Later found I'd made CD copies of some things, at least according to the labels. I've yet to check them out. Was without a pc for about a week. Was 'restricted' to playing games on my phone; accessed internet via work as needed.

Amazes me how pcs have become such an integral part of life. When I retired, I redid my job description to eliminate bulk paper mailings and other tasks that I did 20 years ago, and replace them with data entry and analysis procedures.

lab
© 2024 GameBoomers Community