GB HOMEPAGE

CloseEncounters of the USA Kind :-D

Posted By: Mad

CloseEncounters of the USA Kind :-D - 04/09/20 07:48 PM

Years ago I lived in a very small village out on the Yorkshire Moors.
[Wuthering Heights country for those who like the Bronte novels. Yeah !!]

Being a beauty spot the village attracted many tourists and people from all over the world used to visit.

Well early one morning, as I was getting washed and dressed, my young Daughter rushed upstairs to tell me a couple of rather elderly people had just walked in to our kitchen !!
[This was in the days when doors weren’t kept locked quite as much.]

So, I quickly went downstairs to see why they had come into my home and to ask if they needed help of some sort.

It turned out they were touring Americans and had thought my cottage was a “Tea Room” so had walked in to order breakfast !!

I explained that unfortunately it wasn’t a tea room – it was just my home. Whereon we all had a huge laugh. But I said I would gladly give them coffee and toast if they would like some.

They accepted and seemed to enjoy both very much. And then, after another bit of chatting, left to go and explore the village and later drive on to their next destination.

Quite an experience lol
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: CloseEncounters of the USA Kind :-D - 04/09/20 07:53 PM

Great story Mad! And as I was reading, I knew you were going to say you offered up something!
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: CloseEncounters of the USA Kind :-D - 04/09/20 08:57 PM

Love that story!

I remember being horrified when visiting my grandmother's house, when I learned they did not even know where the key to their door was. My family kept doors locked at all times, even back then.
Posted By: Marian

Re: CloseEncounters of the USA Kind :-D - 04/09/20 08:59 PM

What a great story, Mad! Oh, to live on the Yorkshire Moors...and how I do love Wuthering Heights! happydance
Posted By: connie

Re: CloseEncounters of the USA Kind :-D - 04/09/20 09:55 PM

I only started locking my doors in the last 4 months. It still seems strange to me. wave2
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: CloseEncounters of the USA Kind :-D - 04/09/20 11:37 PM

That is a great story, Mad! I too, was not in the least surprised you offered them something. Great experience for you all!
Posted By: Lex

Re: CloseEncounters of the USA Kind :-D - 04/10/20 06:24 AM

Reminds me of the time when some trippers walked into our quite large garden in the New Forest (a national park in southern England), obviously assuming it was some sort of public open space: my father thought it would embarrass them if we went out and told them it was private property so we simply stayed in the house until they left.

My parents were the sort of folk who would have probably given them a cup of tea if they had come into the house (no locked doors)! catrub
Posted By: GuybrushThreepwood

Re: CloseEncounters of the USA Kind :-D - 04/10/20 01:04 PM

No sure he still does but my brother-in-law used to leave key to his pickup truck in the unclocked truck. So A) his neighbors could borrow it, he only asked that they refuel it or B) if someone was bent on stealing it they could just take it without having to break into the house looking for the key.

My mother told me that during the depression when men were riding the rails looking for work if a man came to my grandparents door, my grandmother would send them a food and coffee out the window. So at least they got one meal that day. She wouldn't let them in. And with 13 children didn't need anyone for yard work.

© 2024 GameBoomers Community