GB HOMEPAGE

What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown)

Posted By: Space Quest Fan

What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/01/21 10:27 PM

Has anyone else watched this HBO series? I just stumbled on it recently and I really enjoyed it. The series stars Kate Winslet and it reminded me of Broadchurch. thumbsup
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/02/21 12:29 AM

We watched it and loved it! Every Sunday night, JKEerie and I couldn't wait to discuss it when it was over at Mystery Manor! I'm so sad, it's only a one season series.
Posted By: Lex

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/02/21 10:28 AM

We tried the first episode and couldn't really get into it, but perhaps we'll try another look...

We struggle to find anything particularly engrossing on TV these days, the most recent "must watch" (apart from Coronation Street) probably being Unforgotten, with our regular undemanding fallback being Blue Bloods (currently part way through season 6, so plenty left) smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/02/21 02:27 PM

We loved the Fargo series on FX. It was so "off the wall" and intriguing and every season was a new story with new characters! But there are so many commercials on FX, we stopped watching it.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/02/21 03:10 PM

We also loved the Fargo series of series, but have yet to try the latest one: a useful reminder.

We recorded the episodes and were then able to fast forward through the adverts! smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/02/21 04:39 PM

That's what we started doing too. It was just too painful otherwise!
Posted By: Mad

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/02/21 05:45 PM

Yes. I watch very little "live" TV these days - apart from BBC programmes - as there are no adverts thumbsup

I record nearly everything, so I can watch what I want when it suits me, AND I can FF through any adverts laugh

Perfect !!

EDIT :

I missed out on Mare of Easttown because it clashed with my other programmes so I'm hoping it will be repeated.
[Or maybe it's available "On Demand". I must check. because I think Kate Winslet is an excellent actress :)]
Posted By: flotsam

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/03/21 01:41 AM

We liked Mare a lot. Watched it each week and then binge watched the first 6 leading into the live watching of the final episode.
I do hope they stop at this season. Some things are perfectly fine the way they are and don't need anything more.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/03/21 03:02 AM

I have to kind of agree with you flotsam!
Posted By: hagatha

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/03/21 03:46 AM

We only stream these days so I tend to miss out on good shows until they're available on one of our three services. I'll keep my eye out for this one.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/03/21 04:32 AM

Mare only streamed down here so (given we subscribed to the service) we lucked out in terms of no ads etc
Many shows on the streaming services here are deliberately accessible at the same time as they are broadcast in the relevant home market. Which means we get to watch and then engage with the broader discussion should we wish to.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/03/21 04:46 AM

I liked Unforgotten a lot Lex. Have you watched Collateral? Nicola Walker is in that, along with the very excellent 'Sally Sparrow'. The Night Of, The LIttle Dummer Girl and Spooks (for something more lengthy and also featuring Nicola Walker) might possibly 'engross' you??

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/03/21 09:25 AM

Didn't know about Collateral which looks/sounds promising: we now have Netflix as part of a Sky deal, but have only just dipped into it to watch an interesting three part documentary Sophie, a murder in Cork (prompted by the rather less satisfactory and long-winded version Murder at the Cottage on Sky). Collateral is now lined up to follow, so thanks for that.

Going back a few years, I was really hooked on The Sarah Connor Chronicles (an excellent serialised reworking of part of The Terminator saga), Justified, Dexter, and the pretty extreme series Hannibal (having thoroughly enjoyed all of the books and films) - my choices of escapist viewing no doubt reveal deep character flaws....! blackkitty

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/03/21 02:15 PM

But those deep character flaws as so much FUN! Have you heard they are doing a sequel to Dexter?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/03/21 03:34 PM

I watched every series of "Unforgotten". And thought each was excellent bravo
Posted By: Marian

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/03/21 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mad
I watched every series of "Unforgotten". And thought each was excellent bravo

I have seen them all too now. I started watching it due to your recommendation. My son and I thought they were all very good!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/03/21 08:49 PM

Great !! dance
Posted By: Starcom

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/03/21 09:14 PM

Hi all,
I watched Mare of Easttown and really liked it. Also watched all the Episodes of the Unforgotten, another great series.
Now I am anxious to watch Season 11 of Vera, there will be 2 episodes of Vera in the Fall of 2021 and 4 more Episodes of Vera in early 2022, I just love that series, it is on my list to re-watch all 11 Seasons in the near future.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/04/21 02:21 AM

I did enjoy all those series you mentioned Lex. The Dexter end was a dud so perhaps a sequel will fix it?? And whch I didn't know they were doing so many thanks Draclvr.
Wasn't aware of Sophie so will check it out.
And that will certainly be a binge watch to rival many Starcom yes

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/04/21 04:26 PM

Have any of you watched the recent harrowing but excellent Time from Jimmy McGovern featuring Sean Bean and Stephen Graham giving the performances of their lives?

And how about Line of Duty? smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/06/21 01:58 AM

Line of Duty yes (and very good indeed) but haven't been able to find Time down here (or at least not on a service I have). It has been discussed in glowing terms by some of the podcasts I listen too, albeit they say its confronting to watch. But Jimmy McGovern has often been unflinching in his material.
And speaking of which, who can forget Cracker? Ran out of puff a little with the "specials" but the first few series were compelling.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/06/21 02:11 AM

I watched a six-part British series on Netflix called River which also starred Nicola Walker. It was awfully good and I recommend it. It's a police procedural.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/06/21 03:04 AM

I agree Marian; I had forgotten that one (so much TV!!)

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/06/21 09:13 AM

We enjoyed River, but the best police series for us in recent times was Cardinal, and we were also taken with a couple of Scandi-noir offerings (despite subtitles) The Bridge, and more recently Darkness: Those Who Kill and a follow up Blinded: Those Who Kill also The Investigation (about the death of Kim Wall).

On a different theme, there was obviously Homeland, which led us to try the rather glossy but quite fun Criminal Minds (again featuring the excellent Mandy Patinkin).

PS Now that it has been hi-jacked should this thread perhaps be retitled... lol

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/06/21 05:19 PM

I must be the only person on Earth who thinks the Dexter ending was the right one. There was no way Dexter could become a Real Boy and be able to live happily ever after after the life he'd led.

River was great, I thought. I don't think we've seen any mention of Time here, but I'll have a closer look.

Mare is on Amazon, so I've added it to our Watch list.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/06/21 08:14 PM

There are also some Really really good Lighter side Crime/Detective/mysteries that are very enjoyable to watch if One wants a break from Violent type programs:

Midsomer Murders now on Series or Season 22
Father Brown waiting for Season 9
Death in Paradise waiting for Season 11
Grantchester waiting for Season 6 (loved the reference to Elvis Presly, this series start in the 1950s and up)

Another one a bit more serious: Harrow 3 seasons so far
Another one, very very serious: Silent Witness, waiting for Season 24

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/07/21 06:55 PM

Thanks Starcom: my wife Linda is very keen on Midsomer Murders, and I like the way it is now almost a spoof of itself, as well as attracting some well-known actors to participate.

I will have to try Harrow and perhaps Father Brown, not being familiar with either (although I read and enjoyed most or all of the Father Brown books many years ago). smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/09/21 02:33 AM

I agree hagatha but it needed a way better ending (see Braeking Bad for the right one!)
Cardinal was good Lex, and if you like those scandi noir, maybe check out Trapped or Bordertown, neither quite as full on as Those Who Kill.
Hidden from BBC Wales is closer to the last, and I also liked hearing the language.
Starcom, I was shocked by the end of the last Silent Witness. I am suprised it still manages to surprise all these seasons later.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/09/21 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by flotsam
I agree hagatha but it needed a way better ending (see Braeking Bad for the right one!)

There is a Dexter sequel coming out -- a miniseries, I think. Michael C. Hall will be reprising the role.

The ending to Breaking Bad was perfect.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/11/21 02:03 AM

To digress slightly, I have often wondered whether TV creators have a beginning and an end from the start, and they pad out the middle depending on whether it is 1 or 5 seasons, or soemthing esle?
In other words, did Vince GIlligan know from day 1 that it would end that way? No doubt things along the way make a difference (the Jessie arc for instance) but was that how he imagined it ending? Or did he have an idea about a meth cooking science teacher with cancer and was as interested in me to see where that might go?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/12/21 05:17 AM

As audiences know, bad things can happens when the story's overall arc isn't plotted out beforehand (ahem....Lost....). My guess is that the ending to Breaking Bad was plotted out long before the last season started. The writing is so solid and assured, all the way through.

We started watching Mare. The first episode almost lost us, it was so slow. It's picked up a bit in the second and third episodes. There's a little too much melodrama, but we'll keep watching.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/17/21 07:19 AM

On flotsam's suggestion I am going to try the Welsh noir: no doubt made at least partly as a result of pressure (and therefore more readily available budget) to produce dramas in the native language although now available in English.

Found Hinterland on Netflix and enjoyed the first episode, with Hidden geared up to follow on Sky, and after that his scandi suggestions Trapped on Amazon and Bordertown on Netflix... thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/17/21 04:20 PM

Hinterland is really good. I had hoped there would be more, but it looks like it's finished for good.

We ultimately enjoyed Mare, and Kate Winslet's performance is wonderful.

For those of you who haven't seen the Narcos series (there are two of them) on Netflix, they really are superb productions.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/17/21 05:09 PM

Is there an echo here? lol

Will have a look at Narcos

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/19/21 12:53 AM

Hope you enjoy them!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/02/21 06:58 AM

Discovered we had already seen (and enjoyed) Collateral and Hidden some years ago but not remembered the titles, and have been working our way through The Commander (including Hugh Bonneville getting his kit off with Amanda Burton...!) which we had missed when it came out and is possibly more suited to a modern audience smile
Posted By: butterflybabe

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/04/21 04:43 PM

I like to watch TV series cause I'm curious as to how they will end it. Didn't care for how they ended Good Wife but it made sense. Liked how they ended Six Feet Under and Desperate Housewives.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/04/21 07:15 PM

The Good Wife was excellent for the first few series but then lost its way a bit for us.

We have recently been watching an excellent true crime series The Real ManHunter featuring a retired high ranking UK police officer Colin Sutton taking us through some of his more extreme cases: he comes across really well and the detective work is fascinating: one of his biggest cases featured a monstrous psychopath named Levi Bellfield and is to form the subject of a TV drama later this year featuring Martin Clunes as the detective. smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/06/21 02:26 AM

butterflybabe, I also thought Six Feet Under had a wonderful ending. Just perfection.

Some other shows that had finales that nailed it for me were Justified, Sons of Anarchy, The Shield, Supernatural, Buffy (I know, I know, but I'm a huge Buffy fan, nerdishly so), Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and the Sopranos.

Shows that lost it -- looking at you, in fact, Lost, the X-Files, and much as I hate to say it, GOT.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/07/21 12:51 PM

There is a Netflix series called Imposters that I really enjoyed too. It is well acted and has plenty of plot twists.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/10/21 02:06 AM

Have been able to watch TIme down here in the last few weeks. Very excellent indeed!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/10/21 07:32 AM

SQF, looks like in UK you can currently only purchase Imposters on Amazon Prime - so it must be good! lol

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/11/21 12:55 AM

I really liked Virgin River on Netflix too. Hopefully a new season of Ozark is coming soon.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/13/21 06:45 AM

Ditto on Ozark SQF!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/29/21 09:47 AM

If you haven't seen The Fall, it is definitely worth a look and I see that it is now available on Netflix. catrub

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/29/21 07:09 PM

The Fall is wonderful! We watched it when it first came out. Fantastic performance by Gillian Anderson.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/31/21 09:41 PM

Lex I just wanted to give your The Fall suggestion a thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/01/21 12:48 AM

Have to agree about The Fall.
Just watched an Icelandic series on Netfix called Katla. Reminiscent of things like Glitch or The Revenants and rather good. Plus I never get tired of seeing Iceland,
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/04/21 09:53 PM

We just started Raised With Wolves on HBOMax per the recommendation of both our sons. Sadly, there are no actual wolves. But if you like SciFi, you might like this one.

I am also watching The Chair on Netflix at lunch. Really good show. puppy

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/05/21 12:55 AM

I did like Raised By Wolves L4L. Have never heard of The Chair so will check out whether its available down here.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/09/21 08:21 PM

I liked Raised by Wolves too but it was pretty weird. If you like Sci-Fi you might want to give Altered Carbon on Netflix a shot.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/10/21 09:35 AM

I enjoyed the Altered Carbon books but the TV adaptation did not do anything for me and I see that Neflix appear to have cancelled after two seasons.

For me the TV sci-fi bar was set very high by Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles which I see is on Amazon Prime (but probably cheaper to buy on DVD if you still have a player)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po9BJCjjxIo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0fXTDI1egY

catrub

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/10/21 08:38 PM

Space Quest, son recommended Altered Carbon too, but told me he thought I'd enjoy it more if I binged it.

I started watching Barbarians today for my "lunch" watch. I tend to only watch while I eat lunch so it can take me a bit to get through a series.

wavegirl

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/14/21 11:22 PM

I agree Lex, SCC was rather good. I have it on dvd somewhere. I also liked the Tv version of Battlestar Galactica, although it probably went on a bit too long.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/18/21 10:01 AM

Just started watching the new series of Endeavour, now set in the 70s and continuing at the previous high standard, also a documentary about Alexei Novalny https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2021...view-surprisingly-jaunty-account-alexei/

Meanwhile Help awaits... https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2021/09/16/help-review-horror-let-covid-ravage-care-homes/

catrub

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/21/21 05:04 AM

I, too, thought that the Altered Carbon series of books was excellent and didn't particularly care for the TV production.

Flotsam, I loved Battlestar Galactica. It was filmed around Vancouver and parts of BC. The house at the very beginning of the series is one many people here recognize, and SFU features prominently in the beginning, too.

Any Supernatural fans here? I've watched the entire series and would definitely watch it again someday. It, too, was filmed around Vancouver and BC and it's fun to ID places while watching.

I'm also happily waiting for Season 2 of Witcher.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/23/21 06:37 PM

I might have to try The Witcher now that we have Netflix.

Currently enjoying Martin Clunes in a couple of docudramas about big cases solved by the excellent Colin Sutton (who also features in his own fine series on Sky Crime The Real Manhunter).

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/24/21 10:37 PM

I've been watching Frontier (Jason Mamoa)..only a couple episodes left.

I like Supernatural. Watched it while it was current.

Lex, I love The Witcher. puppy

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/25/21 05:33 AM

I honestly wasn't sure about Henry Cavill taking on the role of Geralt, but he's just perfect for the part.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/29/21 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by hagatha
I honestly wasn't sure about Henry Cavill taking on the role of Geralt, but he's just perfect for the part.

I think so too

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/29/21 11:16 PM

I couldn't really get into The Witcher, but I might have to give it another try.
Juat finished a new Netflix series by Mike Flanagan (Haunting of Hill House etc) called Midnight Mass. Most of his stuff has a horror bent so factor that into whether it might be for you, but it has that Stephen King world building feel about it and some wonderful exploration of the nature of spirituality. It was let down a bit by the denoument but its not Robinson Crusoe in that regard.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/30/21 09:28 AM

I had enjoyed a couple of the Witcher games which led me to read a book of short stories/episodes, hence my possible interest in the TV series, although it does not look like my usual fare. smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/03/21 03:00 PM

Hubby and I just started watching Westworld. Intriguing!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/03/21 05:05 PM

West world's first season was wonderful, the second a bit garbled, I thought, and then we stopped watching, mostly because there's so many other things on our list and also because my spouse has a tendency to fall asleep and lose the plot. But I'll eventually get back to it because the premise and acting are great and I like it enough to want to know what happens next.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/03/21 11:54 PM

Ditto hagatha. I never got to the third but thought the first was excellent.
Watchmen is well worth it if you haven't seen it. Way better than the movie from a while back. Knowledge of what came before adds something as it's a kind of sequel but not necessary.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/04/21 04:54 PM

Another show that we loved is The Expanse. We've watched the first 4 seasons, and the fifth was in our queue, but again, the Spousal Unit tends to fall asleep and lose the plot and I get tired of explaining what happened in the previous episode.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/04/21 06:15 PM

Same here, hagatha! We started watching the final season of Goliath Saturday night about 7:30... didn't take 15 minutes and he was asleep. I was already into it, so just watched the rest of it.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/05/21 12:50 PM

"The Spousal Unit" - great terminology! thumbsup lol

In our household, both Spousal Units seem to doze off in front of the same things, so neither of us can tell the other what happened at crucial missed moments... cry

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/05/21 03:31 PM

Shows with complex plotting, like Mr. Robot and Dark and most recently The Wire, became incomprehensible to the Unit once he'd slept through a couple of episodes, and explaining it all was a real stretch.

The Unit is an intellectual, so when he watches TV it's for a break from all that thinking and it tends to lead us to shows that have a lot of things going, "Boom" without much story complexity. Superhero movies are good for that. You can generally sleep through half of it and still understand what's happening.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/05/21 08:49 PM

Hi Lex, I agree with you that Endeavour is a great series and I watched it, I am just disappointed that it has Only 3 Episodes, one waits this long for the series only to have 3 episodes and then to wait for another year. I wonder why they only produce 3 episodes?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/08/21 11:14 AM

Starcom, I suspect that the reasons will be partly restrictions imposed by lockdowns/social distancing during the pandemic and partly an excessively woke (in my view) focus in programme making generally: there is a limit to how much currently acceptable ethnic and other minority content can be injected into a period series such as Endeavour! rolleyes

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/13/21 09:15 AM

Just started watching Police Paris 1900 (on BBC Four, although I think also available on Netflix) with no great expectations, but it is actually rather good! catrub

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/15/21 09:13 PM

I just finished a Harry Potter marathon! We saw them all as they were released but I don't think I've watched them since. puppy

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/16/21 07:49 AM

I loved those films but I now find that about an hour and a half is my maximum watching time, so we do most films in at least two bites and have so far resisted the boxed set binge approach, but I admire your stamina!

There is a great BBC Scotland series Guilt which we missed first time round but are now watching to link into the second series which has just started https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9644058/ blackkitty

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/18/21 06:27 AM

I must see if it is available down here Lex.
There's a new series featuring Nicola Walker that started here last night called Anika. WE will probably wait for a few of the episodes to be available and then give that a try.
Anyone seen it?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/18/21 07:47 AM

We like most things involving Nicola, but I think we tried and abandoned this one a month or two ago: perhaps you will form a more positive view and steer us back to it for another look... smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/21/21 12:14 AM

Thanks Lex. wave

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/21/21 09:11 AM

Another good series has just started a new season on BBC - Shetland: worth a look if you have not tried it before, and assuming you can find it somewhere accessible in your location (I am pretty sure it is available on Netflix) smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/21/21 04:16 PM

Shetland has a new season? We'll be checking that out for sure. Loved the series so far.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/21/21 04:42 PM

Season 5 kicked off promisingly last night - correction make that season 6. smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/21/21 10:46 PM

I just looked and the first three seasons are on Netflix down here so will give it a go
Posted By: Kaki's Sister

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/22/21 09:17 AM

I have watched Unforgotten, Line of Duty, Vera, Shetland, Easttown and many more of the BBC and HBO series when they come out on DVD. I am able to rent them from our local Library. Most of the Libraries in my state are part of a network that allows you to put a DVD on hold and they will send it to my local library for pick up.

It is a great service and at no cost. I have been very lucky to enjoy so many Series from PBS, and BBCA and other networks when they become available on DVD.

Maybe some of you could rent them for free from your local Libraries too.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/22/21 05:20 PM

We only have the first three seasons of Shetlend on Netflix here, but the fourth season should be along by and by, though not necessarily. We had the first three seasons of The Bridge and the fourth season never arrived.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/23/21 10:30 PM

Lex, I don't think we will be going back to Anika after watching the first two. I think your earler decision was correct. A shame, but not everything can work.
Started a Nordic-noir called The Chestnut Man which seems promising after the first two. Its on Netflix here.
I hadn't thought of libraries KS so have no idea what might be available. Thanks for the heads-up.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/24/21 07:58 AM

We had a quick dip into Chestnut Man, but it seemed a bit wooden and I think something more interesting lured us away - perhaps we'll persevere another time!

Last night we tried the first two episodes of season 1 of Grimm and found that unexpectedly entertaining: we hadn't heard of it before but found ourselves watching part of an episode in season 6 while waiting for something else (so it must have been running for a few years). A police procedural with paranormal villains which certainly fits the bill for Halloween and keeps just enough of a straight face to be quite scary in places... scared Has anyone else tried this one?

Unfortunately, the Isle of Man lacks any kind of coherent library service, which is something we miss.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/24/21 02:32 PM

I don't think I've tried Grimm, though I have it on my list in keeping with my preference for science-fiction and fantasy.

We were re-watching The Wire and enjoying it very much, but then it became apparent that one of us who is not me was sleeping through a lot of it and had no idea what was going on, so it was abandoned. And again, we tried watching the Witcher (second time for me) because we thought lots of fighting and derring-do and loud monsters would keep certain people awake, but it was not to be.

At the moment, I'm just finishing up Season 7 of Buffy and plan to clean up the shows I'm behind on, like Star Trek: Discovery, Waking Dead, and I think Picard has another season available here.

For those of you who haven't watched the Witcher, by the way, it's good. It helps if you've read the books and/or played the games, because the series jumps around time lines and characters and it doesn't hold your hand explaining things. It's been renewed through Season 3, I think, so there's a good deal of watching ahead. Henry Cavill IS Geralt of Rivia. He nailed the role.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/24/21 11:30 PM

I did watch Grimm and I think the early episodes are the pick. There is a lot more reference to the fairy tales I seem to recall. It does get rather silly later on, and not every story arc works, but I watched it through - it was my treadmill watch of choice for a while!
PIcard I didn't know had another season - I will seek it out.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/25/21 03:51 AM

We just started Schitt's Creek. I thought it would be the usual lame Canadian "humour," but it actually pretty funny, and hysterically rude.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/25/21 03:55 AM

And it gets better!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/25/21 04:51 AM

It isn't our usual fare, but it's perfect insofar as the Spousal Unit can nod off and not really lose the plot.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/30/21 04:14 AM

We love those sorts of things in our habitat as well.
Although its interesting the number of times one of us says we don't feel awake enough to watch a movie, and then we manage to watch 4 or 5 episodes of something lol

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/30/21 02:45 PM

Started watching the last season of Goliath on Prime video. It's pretty strange the first two episodes with the second one even leading off with a bizarre show tune performed by the villain. Going to watch the next episode tonight - my spousal unit will also be sleeping.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/31/21 12:35 AM

Goliath has been on my list for a while. It's time for me to leave the comfort of old favourites and move on to something new.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/31/21 01:48 AM

The first two seasons were excellent. The jury is still out on the third one!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/06/21 05:14 PM

Dexter is back tonight in USA and tomorrow in UK devilchili

On a less extreme note we have just started watching the new series Dalgleish, which looks quite promising (although Roy Marsden in that role is a hard act to follow). sherlock
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/06/21 07:15 PM

We can't wait for Dexter, Lex!

Is anyone here watching the new show Ghosts? You can see info here.
I'm absolutely loving it! Finally a show with laughs that are original!

Ana wave

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/06/21 08:18 PM

Hi BrownEyedTiger, my wife and I watch Ghosts and we absolutely LOVE it.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/06/21 08:52 PM

We're looking forward to seeing what Dexter gets up to in his next season. That is IF the Spousal Unit can stay awake. We're barely getting through an episode of Schitt's Creek a night.

Incidentally, Dexter's apartment went up for a sale a year ago or so. I had found it on Google maps. I was shocked at how low the price was. Anywhere in Canada a waterfront apartment, even a low-rise one-bedroom, would have sold for millions!

Now that Buffy has thwarted the First Evil for good and the Scoobies have gone off to live their lives, I've been watching a Danish noir murder mystery on Netflix, called The Chestnut Man. Very dark. Quite frightening at times, too. It's only 6 episodes, so it's a quick watch. It's based on a series of novels so I'm guessing there will be more seasons. Quite good, I thought.

EDIT: Flotsam, I see you also watched The Chestnut Man and weren't too keen on it. I've actually enjoyed it.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/06/21 09:09 PM

Starcom, I'm glad you are enjoying it too! It's such a refreshing change and the "ghosts" are so perfectly cast!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/07/21 09:54 PM

I enjoyed Chestnut Man hagatha but it will never rival Buffy wave
I have never even heard of ghosts. I see there are two seasons available here so will check it out.
Having just checked, the new Dexter is on a service here we don't subscribe to, and we already have too many of those so looks like we will have to wait frown

Edit: OK, looks like there was an earlier British version from a couple of years ago that has now been 'developed for American television' as they say. Given the new one is on that same service we don't have grin I will check out the other one anyway.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/07/21 11:00 PM

People always look at me strangely when I say I love BTVS, but there's so much humour and truth in that series, all couched in High School drama and the world beyond. Plus sexy vampires.

So we finally reached the end of Season 1 of Schitt's Creek, and had quite a laugh. If I can keep the Spousal unit awake for a while after dinner we'll watch more.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/08/21 01:39 AM

Agreed hagatha. We are prone to watching our favourite episodes just for fun - ones like Tabula Rasa, Hush and of course Once More With Feeling - usually when one or other of our daughters are around.
Speaking of sexy vampires, the girls still have a photo of themselves with Spike, one arm draped around each of them, taken at a Buffy convention we went to in Melbourne about 20 years ago. They queued for about an hour to have it taken.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/08/21 05:28 PM

Agreed hagatha. We are prone to watching our favourite episodes just for fun - ones like Tabula Rasa, Hush and of course Once More With Feeling - usually when one or other of our daughters are around.
Speaking of sexy vampires, the girls still have a photo of themselves with Spike, one arm draped around each of them, taken at a Buffy convention we went to in Melbourne about 20 years ago. They queued for about an hour to have it taken.

I was always a Spuffy fan rather than a Bangel fan. Dude was awesome by the end.

Hush is an amazing piece of television. Another of my favourites is The Body.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/08/21 11:22 PM

The Body is indeed excellent yes

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/14/21 08:34 AM

Like Game Of Thrones, Buffy The Vampire Slayer was something I expected to like but never got beyond one episode (possibly at least partly because my wife could not suspend her disbelief sufficiently for dragons or vampires, although she seems to manage with Grimm and had previously enjoyed the film The Lost Boys - go figure... duh ). Perhaps I will try those specific shows you mention.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/14/21 04:32 PM

Lex, Buffy started out as a clever teen high school dramedy with vampires, but by the second season the underlying darkness of the themes started to play out, along with the humour. Buffy is long-form storytelling, so I don't know if individual episodes would give you a true picture. It's worth a try, though.

Many of my favourite shows started out a bit cliche and improved over time. I would put Supernatural in that category. The first season is just basically monster-of-the-week with a couple of good-looking guys and a cool car. Then it changed to a more long-form storytelling and picked up a lot of steam.

I often wonder how Angel would have played out if it had been given another couple of years to continue the story lines that had developed. I enjoyed it, too, even with the truncated ending, which, under the circumstances, was genius.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/15/21 11:53 PM

Ditto on Angel hagatha and given what you said about Supernatural I might have to give it another go. I never got out of that first season largely because of exactly how you describe it.

Before leaving Buffy, do we all agree the season with the Initiative should be reduced to a short "here are the things you need to know to move on" episode and then never be spoken of again yes

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/16/21 12:21 AM

I wasn't keen on Season 4, but I don't hate it completely. There was that wonderful Halloween episode where lephoriphobic Anya wears a rabbit suit and saves the day, and the evil demon turns out to be three inches tall. And of course there are the wonderfully acted episodes relating to Willow, Oz and Tara.

But yes, Season 4 is my least favourite.

Supernatural was a guilty pleasure for a while, and then I decided that I really liked it as the characters grew. Jensen Ackles turned out to be a pretty decent actor, Misha Collins was absolutely wonderful as Castiel, and Jared Padalecki had a sensitive yet manly jaw throughout the series. In 15 seasons there was some fluff and some truly bad episodes, but by and large they managed to keep it pretty fresh.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/16/21 10:16 AM

Changing topic, hagatha, did you try Grimm? That has now become a regular filler for us. smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/16/21 04:12 PM

I haven' tried Grimm yet, but I'm thinking I should. It's probably right up my alley.

Right now I'm watching my regular shows -- Season 10 of The walking Dead, which is the best season they've made for years, and then I'm off to finish season 3 of Star Trek: Discovery, and then Season 2 of Witcher arrives, and Season 9 of Dexter has just started and is streaming on Crave TV, so my dance card is pretty full. So many games, so many good shows, so little time...

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/17/21 08:46 PM

I gave up on TWD a few seasons ago; do you reckon I can jump straight back into season 10?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/17/21 09:29 PM

I gave up on TWD a few seasons ago; do you reckon I can jump straight back into season 10?

No, far too much has happened in the interim.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/18/21 10:13 AM

I watched and enjoyed a couple of episodes (or perhaps it was films on the same theme) but that was enough zombies for me: I preferred the wider post-apocalyptic themes of the John Wyndham books and loved the original TV series of Survivors (which sadly now looks very dated). smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/19/21 02:21 AM

It's been a long time since I read Wyndham.

I see that Angel is now on Amazon Prime, so I'm going to blast through it while I alternate with 12 Monkeys, which has pretty good reviews. We watched the first three episodes a few months ago, but the SU kept falling asleep and the premise is too complicated to explain every time.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/19/21 04:34 AM

Thanks yes
12 Monkeys is really rather good, and I think I remember Survivors.
Did either of you watch the recent reboot of War of the Worlds? I thought the first season was excellent, the second not quite so much but still worth the viewing investment.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/19/21 04:45 AM

War of the Worlds got past me altogether, as in I didn't even know about it. Of course, if it isn't streaming, I don't watch it -- we've pretty much abandoned cable TV except for Jeopardy and Shark Tank, and the occasional game that isn't on DAZN. With 4 streaming services we've got a wealth of good TV to watch.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/01/21 08:22 AM

We watched and quite enjoyed the War Of The Worlds reboot, but as far as I remember found it a bit patchy.

Our most recent discovery is Criminal UK on Netflix: a slightly different take on serious crime investigation (fictional) with a strong cast and I think now in or about to start its third season, all about police questioning suspects - I am wondering whether it may have evolved from a stage play, as it seems well suited to that (or at least the first episode of the first season which we watched last night was smile ). I note that it appears to have other versions for other countries, but have not looked to see what language those are in or whether there are subtitles.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/01/21 08:24 PM

I seem to have got stuck on repeat this year -- easier on the brain. I'm watching Angel now, will pick up on 12 Monkeys again soon.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/03/21 03:42 AM

12 Monkeys benefits from a bit of a binge. Too many things to hold in your head I find, as my head gets older!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/04/21 12:43 AM

Yes, a binge is the way to go with just about every show, in fact, but especially so for the ones with complicated plots.

I wouldn't have made it through Mr. Robot if I hadn't binged it. I would have forgotten what was going on between seasons. Dark was the same --
multiple time lines with different actors playing the same characters as they aged

(I thought I should add the spoiler alert for anyone who hasn't watched it).

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/04/21 07:52 AM

I enjoyed the film 12 Monkeys, so may have to give the TV series a try.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/05/21 03:09 AM

I agree re Dark hagatha, and wasn't it good thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/05/21 05:55 PM

flotsam, I thought Dark was stunning -- the acting, the story, the cinematography, and the music! I'm forcing myself not to watch it again too soon.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/09/21 10:15 AM

I must definitely give Dark a try: now on my Netflix list, but there is a bit of a queue across Sky and Amazon Prime as well... woozy

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/10/21 06:30 PM

Lex, if you do watch Dark, make sure you watch it in German with English subtitles. The English dubbing is awful.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/14/21 05:07 AM

I can't speak for the English dub of Dark but watching anything not dubbed has to be the way to go.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/14/21 12:50 PM

I have noticed that several of the Neflix programmes appear to have been filmed with dubbing in mind, avoiding close front facial shots involving dialogue where incongruities would be most apparent but at the expense of giving the video a slightly unsatusfactory feel in some places. smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/14/21 05:45 PM

Yes, if you just go with the German you can watch and hear the actors actaully ACT.

Anyway, Dark. Yes. Very dark.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/20/21 10:07 AM

Just been watching Landscapers, a rather surreal true crime not quite reconstruction: initially we weren't sure about it, but ultimately it was a stimulating and enjoyable programme (in four parts). Olivia Colman and David Thewlis are very good in the lead roles, and the supporting cast are also strong. thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/20/21 04:57 PM

We are enjoying the Wheel of Time streams and Midsommer Murder while waiting for the Friday release. Daughter keeps telling me to watch Yellowstone.
Posted By: connie

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/21/21 12:25 PM

My friend and I are also watching Wheel of Time on Mondays, waiting for season 3 of Discovery of Witches next month.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/23/21 04:50 PM

Connie, how are you enjoying WOT?

I'm still re-watching Angel, and although much of it is very good, some if it is not. It lacks the consistency of Buffy and at times seems to not understand what it is. Season 3 is outstanding, but now I'm into the very uneven Season 4 with its completely mis-cast villainess.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/23/21 06:50 PM

Hagatha, we're enjoying WOT. I didn't care as much for Angel as I did for Buffy.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/23/21 09:42 PM

I saw that show up in my list Lex so good to know its worth a watch.
Its hard not to like the two leads.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/23/21 10:25 PM

Oh goody. Everyone seems to like WOT. I read the books up to the point where Robert Jordan exited stage left, and never read the last few books.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/26/21 10:41 PM

Just started Landscapers. I get what you mean by surreal Lex.
Enjoying it so far smile
Check out Station Eleven if you haven't yet. Five episodes in, its pandemically post-apocalyptic done ideosyncratically right. There are resonances of The Leftovers, (another excellent series) which isn't surprising given a shared creator/writer. I never read the novel on which its based so its all been a rather compelling suprise.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/27/21 07:44 AM

I enjoyed the book Station Eleven, given by my one of my daughters as a birthday present a few years ago so will give the series a try.

Just watched the quite good little Ghost Story For Christmas: The Mezzotint, and have added Wheel Of Time to our watch list.

On the negative side, not very impressed with A Very British Scandal: abandoned it half way through the first episode as being rather wooden with unappealing two dimensional characters. santa

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/04/22 06:12 AM

Landscapers done and its quirkily interesting in terms of style and presentation. I liked it, but it was probably a good decision to only take as long as it did; the quirky might have become irritating after a while.
Station Eleven continues to be compelling.
An animated series on Netflix called Arcane grabbed my attention over the festive season. Even if you don't like animation as a rule, an episode or two is worth your attention, just to see if it might tempt you further, as the storytelling and the world building is quite wonderful.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/04/22 10:38 AM

I'll give that a shot: meanwhile we are enjoying the Tourist, set in Australia...!

Station Eleven will not be available here until next month, and we will probably have to pay extra to see it: for some reason Canada and Australia are getting it free of charge now which seems a bit unfair. smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/05/22 04:26 AM

Tourist just started here too, and its on the list.
Thats a shame about Station Eleven. I have no idea how these regional market things work. We get it as part of one of our streaming servies (not on free to air tv) but we don't have to pay extra.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/09/22 05:57 PM

We have just reached the end of the first season of Grimm which we have found surprisingly and consistently entertaining: reasonably high production values, good chemistry between characters, a well handled balance between humour and serious (insofar as there can be an entirely straight face with this sort of tale) and some quite intriguing themes (rather than the one-trick pony we were expecting). thumbsup thumbsup

About to start on David Attenborough's latest offering Green Planet.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/11/22 03:43 AM

I know what you mean about one trick pony Lex. I quite liked that pony but it sensibly moved beyond it fairly quickly.
It does get a bit too elaborate at times, but as I said earlier I watched it all so clearly it kept my interest throughout.
BTB, I watched Arcane again and it really is very excellent yes

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/12/22 08:37 AM

The trailer for Arcane on Netflix looks interesting: I will add it to the list! smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/18/22 03:21 AM

Watching Season 2 of The Witcher. Good fun! Burn, Butcher, Burn!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/21/22 05:45 PM

Quite a good new workplace thriller on BBC (so probably heading for Netflix) - Rules Of The Game: by the end of episode one (of four) we were far from convinced, but it turned out to be pretty good.

Also enjoying a third season of The Bay, although we find the music irritating...

Hagatha, I think that Grimm might be just your cup of tea, and I know it's already on your list: we continue to be getting a real kick out of it! catrub

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/22/22 01:49 AM

I'm working on Lucifer right now. I'm hemming and hawing and wondering when the series will morph into the highly acclaimed show it's alleged to be. I like the Lucifer character because he's marvellously over-the-top, but his cop sidekick is annoying me. So maybe Grimm should be next.

Phooey. Grimm is not on any of my three streaming platforms. It was at one time, but no longer, apparently.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/28/22 10:58 PM

Watching Season 2 of The Witcher. Good fun! Burn, Butcher, Burn!

I really liked The Witcher too. More Yennefer please. thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/05/22 10:53 AM

Just watched the first two episodes of Amazon's new series Reacher which looks gently promising - probably a must for fans of Lee Child, especially after the rather disappointing Tom Cruise films: nicely balanced in terms of enough humour to send itself up, but so far not overdoing it. In some ways a Witcher for modern times, perhaps - a nomad with a lethal edge... lol

Quite enjoyed much of The Tourist, although ultimately found it disappointing.

Otherwise, still enjoying Grimm (now well into season 2) with occasional doses of Criminal Minds (also well into season 2): obviously plenty more to work through on both fronts!

There are some highly regarded and impressively cast/produced new dramas on British TV at present including Four Lives and The Responder, but they generally seem to focus too much on the gritty and depressing side of life for our escapist tastes: on the other hand, we are enjoying Trigger Point (edge of your seat police bomb disposal with Jed Mercurio on the production team).

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/05/22 05:19 PM

Lucifer did start to be a lot more fun as the seasons progressed. Once Netflix took over in Season 4 it became grittier and darker and far more compelling. The source material and ideas are from Neil Gaiman, who always seems to want his bad characters to be fluffy bunnies under their evil exteriors, which can be cloying, so I was happy to see the dark turn.

Anyway it's a fun guilty pleasure.

EDIT: I should add that the cast is great, and many of the faces are familiar from other series, like Buffy and Battlestar Galactica, and 24, and Dexter, True Blood, Arrow, Smallville, and on and on.

The episode I just watched was a musical along the lines of "Once More, with Feeling," where God has come to visit his sons and people keep breaking out in song -- including a large-scale version of Another One Bites the Dust on a school football field around a murder victim. Very funny, and very revealing for the characters, just as in Buffy.

The third season was over long and filled with fluff episodes but it all tightened up nicely in Season 4. Good fun.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/07/22 05:09 PM

We were rather underwhelmed by a couple of early episodes, but it sounds like time to perhaps give it another try.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/07/22 10:15 PM

As with so many TV series, you have to wade through the first few episodes until the characters gel and the storylines tighten up. It's fluff, but fun fluff. Once Netflix took over things got really interesting.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/09/22 09:35 AM

The latest BBC series to interest us is Chloe - not sure where it is heading, but two episodes in it is an intriguing take on building false personalities both online and in the flesh. catrub

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/17/22 09:34 PM

I finished Lucifer last night. I'd rate it a 7/10, with some parts of it hitting 8/10. A fun romp.

Here's something weird, though. Last night as I was watching the penultimate episode, a clock in the show chimed at midnight -- just as OUR clock chimed midnight. Weird, eh?

Bu tthen it gets weirder. I'd paused the game to get a cup of tea, and a song popped into my head -- Peter Gabriel's My Body is a Cage. I turned the on the last episode, and that very song played in it later on in the episode.

Coincidence? Two such instances? In a show about celestial beings? I think not! I think not!

grin lol

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/18/22 10:09 AM

I love the goings on in the hagatha household narrated on the various GB threads and am still laughing at a gaming comment you made about being able to explore your macho side! lol

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/19/22 01:43 AM

Weird indeed hagatha eek
I was like Lex but will have another go on the strength of your posts, plus I can't wait for my version of the weird.
Chloe I have never heard of and on a quick search can't find it streaming here but perhaps its on ftv so keen to hear how it goes.
The most recent season of The Sinner didn't do it for me; too much the same throughout and way to much Bill Pullman scrunchy face. But Archive 81 was a surprisingly enjoyable watch.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/19/22 02:59 AM

Lex the macho side comment is probably has something to with Gothic or one of the other games from Pirhana Bytes.

I've started 12 Monkeys again -- we were watching it about a year ago,, but the Spousal Unit kept falling asleep, so this time I'm watching it on my own so I can get through it.

The SU also kept falling asleep during Schitt's Creek, so I'll finish it at some point, too. We got about half way through and I was enjoying it. At least it'll be a fast watch.

I also have to catch up on Star Trek: Discovery, and there are a few other shows on the list, Ozark being chief among them.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/20/22 12:53 PM

I'm really looking foward to season 4 of Killing Eve which starts in a week here in the states.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/20/22 05:15 PM

We gave up on Killing Eve after the second season, but may give this final season a look. Meanwhile we are currently hooked on the adrenaline fuelled Fear Index, as well as continuing to enjoy Chloe (mentioned above). catrub

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/22/22 02:13 AM

Killing Eve is on the agenda although I did give up in Season 3.
Falling asleep in 12 Monkeys is not an option hagatha. It isn't Dark, but holding the various threads in your head is necessary. Binging helps (or at least it did for me; there wasn't that gradual weekly diminution of what happened last time!)
BTW, did anyone watch Fringe? Its been a while but I did see it through and enjoyed that quite a bit.
Fear INdex I will need to look up.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/22/22 04:28 AM

I absolutely LOVED Fringe. I have the DVD's because it hasn't been streaming anywhere here for several years.

Of course Kirk Acevedo was in both Fringe and 12 Monkeys.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/22/22 10:26 AM

I do not recall Fringe on British TV but it looks like my kind of stuff and I can pay extra to get in on Amazon Prime in UK, so will give it a try.

Meanwhile, Chloe turned into a disappointing damp squib in the final episode, spoiling the rather good effect created in the earlier 5 episodes which had kept us watching...!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/22/22 11:30 PM

He was indeed hagatha. I had forgotten that.
And on the strength of that Lex I will cross Chloe off the list. That final taste can be hard to overcome.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/22/22 11:48 PM

Fringe is Sci Fi, and very well done. John Noble, who played Denethor, Steward of Gondor in LOTR, is absolutely over-the-top wonderful in Fringe. Worth the price of admission.

EDIT: And how on Earth did I forget about Leonard Nimoy?

Posted By: Uncle Reg

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/23/22 07:33 AM

I can get Fringe on HBO Max.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/23/22 03:50 PM

I wonder if our Canadian streaming service, Crave, has it on HBO? I should check that. I'd love to watch it again, without the hassle of DVDs.

EDIT: No, it's not there, either.

I am enjoying 12 Monkeys. But yes, you need to pay attention.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/24/22 10:35 AM

I found Fringe on Sky without extra charge and have lined up episode 1 of season 1... smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/24/22 06:09 PM

The first few episodes are monster-of-the-week to set the stage, and after that the focus turns to long-form story-telling. Just a heads-up.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/26/22 08:46 AM

SyFy is the channel where we found it (as part of our Sky package): we quite enjoyed the first episode but were not as fully grabbed as by some other things we have watched, although probably enough to try at least another episode or two.

Grimm remains our current addiction, and I see that there could be a spin-off at some point https://www.looper.com/360561/the-real-reason-grimm-was-canceled/

Afterthought: as this somewhat hijacked thread still seems to have legs, perhaps SQF should retitle it "Mare of Easton and Beyond..." lol

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/03/22 01:27 AM

I justt finished 12 Monkeys. I really enjoyed it. Now I'm perusing my lists on Prime, Netflix and Crave to see what's next. I'd like to get back to Season 3 of Star Trek: Discovery, but Crave in on a Roku on a switcher, and the switcher doesn't always work, which gets frustrating.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/04/22 03:59 AM

I wasn't that enamoured of Season 3 of ST:D to the extent that I am not watching Season 4. I will be interested on your take hagatha. And I have started watching 12 Monkeys again. Glad you enjoyed it. Tangentially, it was the first time I can recall seeing "Stevie" from Schitts Creek, although according to IMDB she has been doing stuff forever.
I binged the Vikings spin-off on Netflix recently which was superficially Viking fun, and am continuing with the new season of Raised By Wolves. Some freaky good ideas, but do they hold together? I am still not sure.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/05/22 05:38 PM

Fltsam, I loved Star Trek: Discovery's first season, absolutely loved it, The Klingons were finally what they should always have been, and the Klingon mythology was superbly handled. I also very much liked the second season, though not quite as much. I got part way through the third season until the mid-season break, and although the pundits were all proclaiming that the series was now free to explore its own universe, it seems to me that it had become more like the original Star Trek. Maybe that's why I haven't gone back to it? We'll see. I'm a Trekkie, having watched the original with my father way back in the day, so I'll also grab the second season of Picard.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/05/22 09:41 PM

I agree with your take on Season 1 hagatha.
I was never a trekkie but watched it on and off, and especially liked The Borg so tended to seek out those episodes. My interest got a bit of a kick along with the movie reboots, and then Discovery came along.
I watched the first season of Picard (drawn by The Borg in the first instance) and enjoyed it enough to do the next, but will probably wait until it's all available. My brain can only hold a couple of episode a week shows at any one time grin

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/06/22 03:52 AM

I watched all of the Treks until Enterprise (and the animated series, because yuk), which I started and then somehow stopped watching, back when it first came out. My favourite has always been DS9, which I've watched three times, skipping the really awful stand-alone episodes in the first three seasons.

I'm just finishing up the last few epsodes of Schitt's Creek, which we abandoned earlier this year due to excessive somnolence on the part of the S.U. It's pretty funny.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/06/22 04:25 PM

Afterthought: as this somewhat hijacked thread still seems to have legs, perhaps SQF should retitle it "Mare of Easton and Beyond..." lol

I agree Lex. This is just a great place to talk about shows we are enjoying. Last week the final season of Killing Eve just started here in the US and today a new season of Outlander kicks off. happydance

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/06/22 04:29 PM

SQF, how is Outlander? I watched the first season and then we moved, and I haven't gone back to it. I read the books way back in the day but haven't kept up with the series. I thought the casting was wonderful. The books were historical bodice-rippers with, but well written.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/06/22 05:12 PM

I love Outlander. The plot is unique and I think the cast is top notch. I hope you give it another look.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/06/22 10:31 PM

I can easily rename the thread. What would you like?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/08/22 02:28 AM

It could just be called "What are you watching?"

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/08/22 03:24 PM

I agree with hagatha's suggestion, but I think SQF should probably have the final say as the originator of the thread blackkitty

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/08/22 03:30 PM

I changed the title. It can always be switched!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/08/22 11:51 PM

I'll be done with Schitt's Creek tonight and on to something else. I 'm thinking Ozark, the latest season of Narcos, or The Wheel of Time,

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/09/22 12:07 AM

Have you seen any of the seasons of Ozark? They are really very good so that would be my pick. Plus you will be ready for the final part next month.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/09/22 12:24 AM

What are you Watching is much more appropriate!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/10/22 03:17 AM

So, Ozark it is.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/11/22 09:04 AM

Finished The Fear Index - not bad at all if you do not mind a touch of sci-fi in the mix, and also quite enjoyed Our House (another four part thriller), although segments told in flashback became quite hard to follow at times.

Despite a couple of strong cast members and Jed Mercurio's involvement in the production, Trigger Point ultimately proved rather lightweight but still quire good fun.

We watched a couple of episodes of The Fringe but sadly it did not grab us: I think it was the balance between jokey and serious not really working for us.

We still have Grimm as our favourite staple (impossible to take seriously but played with a wonderfully straight face, and some clever touches), apart from Coronation Street which is the only soap we follow. smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/11/22 02:46 PM

I'm really enjoying Ozark. None of the main charaters is particularly likeable, and Martin clearly broke bad years ago. It's always a credit to to the writers and actors when you root for bad people anyway.

That's too bad about Fringe. As I say, it's monster of the week for much of the first season. It becomes much more drama and less comedy as it moves along.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/12/22 10:14 AM

A new season of Grantchester started last night and looks promising: I know that Starcom is a fan, and I would expect the vintage British setting to add to the overseas appeal. sherlock

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/15/22 03:36 AM

Ozark is living up to its billing. A real nail-biter, moving right along.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/15/22 03:36 AM

I can't wait for the second half starting in April!

I'm also working my way through the second season of Snowpiercer. It's dumb, but I love it!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/15/22 03:05 PM

I've watched some dumb-but-charming shows in my time -- Chuck, for one. It was completely silly but somehow they carried it off and it became quite compelling as the seasons went on.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/15/22 04:12 PM

Snowpiercer is kind of a classic depiction of how humans never change, even in the face of extinction. A nuclear winter has destroyed the planet. A train 1,000 cars long is circling the globe over and over in perpetual motion to keep it powered to provide a life for about 1,000 people - the last ones alive. There are cars devoted to producing food, recycling waste, housing, entertainment, education, medical care, etc. Of course, a system of "class" has evolved. Naturally at the top are the rich who paid millions to be ensured a luxury suite and the finest food to the laborers and a thriving drug trade. The tailies are a group of about 400 people who stowed away on the train and are not supposed to be there. They are the lowest of the low and barely survive because the upper train doesn't provide them enough food. Of course, there appears an evil powerful villain and an unlikely hero in dreadlocks!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/15/22 10:38 PM

It actually sounds like fun. Maybe I'll have a look. In the meantime, Ozark is keeping me up late.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/16/22 12:29 AM

Does anyone watch Upload? I just finished season 1 and they just released Season 2. It's surprisingly good and a very unique storyline. It's been refreshing!

It's on Amazon Prime Here is info.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/16/22 04:02 AM

That one is on my list already. Looks intriguing.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/16/22 02:16 PM

Hadn't heard of that one, Ana. It does look intriguing.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/16/22 11:57 PM

I watched the first season of Upload and quite enjoyed it. I would need a recap though before I could start on the enxt one!
The Snowpiercer movie was excellent, and I have been watching the series. It drags a bit at times but I have stuck with it. The most recent episode was just last night down here.
A British series with Martin Freeman called The Responder has just popped up. I might have to give that a go. It may have been mentioned here before so I will have to have a look back.
And glad Ozark is hitting the spot hagatha.
wave

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/17/22 10:00 AM

The Responder was very bleak but well done with Martin Freeman in an unusual role (for him): we did not stick with it as we usually look for a lighter mood with so much gloom in current reality! smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/17/22 11:37 PM

Thnaks for the heads up Lex thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/21/22 10:04 PM

I love Ozark but right now I am really enjoying the new seasons of Peaky Blinders and Outlander. On Netflix I like The Last Kingdom. Valhalla and The Adam Project.
Posted By: soot

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/21/22 10:29 PM

Wife and I are watching The Last Kingdom

It's a good fictional yarn about England in the mid to late 800s based loosely King Alfred's accomplishments.

Good series to binge on wink

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/22/22 04:01 PM

We absolutely love Peaky Blinders. Sad that Helen McRory passed away this year, though. She was a powerhouse of an actress.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/23/22 09:36 PM

I totally agree with you about Helen McRory hagatha. I loved her in Penny Dreadful too.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/01/22 12:26 PM

Dipping into Masterchef, also Marcus Wareing's Tales From A Kitchen Garden, but still mainly watching Grimm (now into season 3) and continuing to be amused and entertained at some of the ideas and some great one-liners. catrub

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/05/22 03:10 AM

I'm re-watching Ozark because the S.U. wanted to watch it and promised he would stay awake. We're into Season 2 already. Honestly, it's good enough to watch again. We should be finished up to the first half of Season 4 before the last few episodes drop.

Otherwise, I just finished Midnight Mass, which was very good, produced by the same people who did The Haunting of Hill House and The Haunting of Bly Manor, both of which were excllent. It was short, only 7 episodes.

And then, Dear Boomers, I have to admit that I watched both seasons of Bridgerton and (ahem) enjoyed it very much. Entertaining, escapist fluff, and a nice break from the serious.

Right now I'm in the middle of Season 1 of Sinner, and I'm not sure about it. It's definitely a slow burn.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/05/22 07:49 AM

Just started watching the new series of The Split: not normally my kind of thing, but quite an amusing story line and an excellent cast (also we felt in need of a few days' break from Grimm... lol )

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/05/22 11:26 AM

Hagatha, I enjoyed Midnight Mass. I haven't started watching the final season of Ozark yet. I'm watching Bridgerton with a friend, still on season one. So much TV, not enough time. smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/05/22 04:44 PM

I gave up on having a list on Netflix because there's so much on it, and that dosn't include all of the shows I have mentally earmarked on Amazon and on Crave TV.

And then of course, there are the many unfinished games...I need a second life.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/05/22 08:23 PM

I would like to suggest the series Mayor of Kingstown. Has anyone else seen this?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/07/22 08:27 PM

I haven't seen that, SQF. Is it on TV, or streaming somewhere?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/08/22 07:56 PM

Hagatha it is streaming on Paramount+.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/09/22 04:39 AM

Ah. We don't have Paramount. I'll wait until it appears on one we do have.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/13/22 07:53 PM

I finished the three available seasons of The Sinner, and enjoyed it quite a lot. There is a fourth and final season coming, apparently.

It stars Bill Pullman, who is always interesting to watch. He's detective who has obvious mental issues. which allow him to empathize with, and get into the heads of, suspects in unusual cases. The cases are quite bizarre, especially the third one, which stars Matt Bomer as the suspect. Bomer's performance is startlingly good, showing a range I didn't know he had. As a side note, without his beard you could mistake Bomer for a smaller, thinner Henry Cavill, their faces are so similar.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/17/22 08:23 AM

We enjoyed the first season of the Sinner but did not stay with it: perhaps now is the time.

Just tried the new Amazon series Wolf Like Me: not quite sure yet, but it could be fun.

Also enjoying the new serialisation of Julia with Sarah Lancashire.

Mayor of Kingstown looks like one to try.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/17/22 02:29 PM

I see there is a Global premiere of a new Dr. Who adventure today on BBC America.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/18/22 01:56 AM

Lex, I thought The Sinner improved with each season. I'm looking forward to the fourth (and last) season coming out at some point.

Right now I'm watching the first season of You, which has very good reviews but I have to say I'm not sure. I might be of the wrong generation to appreciate it. It's intruiguing, and funny in a sneaky way, but I can't care about the characters beacuse they're all so shallow. That's the whole point, I know, but it makes it difficult to care about them.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/18/22 08:57 PM

You is very different. I think it is one of those that you either love it or hate it. It did have some good plot twists but I'm not sure I would watch it again.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/19/22 03:52 AM

SQF, I'm pretty sure I know how Season 1 ends. I'm starting Episode 9 tonight.

------

So I finished Season 1 last night, and I've concluded that the series does a superb job of skewering the obsessive, self-absorbed TikTok/Instagram/FB crowd. There wasn't one decent person among them, except for perhaps the neighbour's little boy, and even he has a very dark side.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/23/22 11:24 AM

I agree with that review hagatha but they had hooked me enough that I needed to see how the season was going to play out. I did watch season 2 also but I have not seen season 3.

Currently watching the new season of Better Call Saul.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/23/22 10:23 PM

I'm just about to finish season 2, and I think it's way better than Season 1. It's a lot funnier, the plot moves faster, and I don't hate all the characters like I did in Season 1.

I note that the REAL Will Bettelheim was played by Robin Lord Taylor, who played Penguin in Gotham. I loved his take on Penguin. It was rather sweet and yet disturbing.

Edit: I thought season 2 was very, very good, especially the surprise at the end. I was really not expecting that.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/04/22 09:54 AM

We have been binge watching the World Snooker Championship for the last week or so, having become hooked several years ago as result of seeing Ronnie O'Sullivan in action much earlier in his career (while on holiday in Venice and starved of other worthwhile TV options back at the hotel after a day out...!).

Now greatly enjoying the recently commenced detective series Grace, and waiting to try Severance on Apple TV + strongly recommended by one of my daughters (not the only programme prompting us towards trying Apple TV +). smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/04/22 03:23 PM

Watching the 2nd half of the final season of Ozarks. I'm going to hate when this one is over!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/05/22 01:37 AM

I'm re-watching Ozark with the SU, but we're staggering along slowly because he can't stay awake. It will be two or three weeks before we catch up and watch the end. It's a great show.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/05/22 02:50 AM

LOL! My hubby has the same issues and he doesn't have any health problems!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/06/22 03:59 PM

Right now I'm catching up Star Trek: Discovery. Ozark will have to wait.
Posted By: Barry

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/07/22 06:42 PM

WWW Smackdown. Always a fun 2 hours (even though the matches are totally fixed and choreographed it's fun the try and guess whom win the matches.)

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/08/22 05:15 PM

We used to get to watch professional wrestling back in my boarding school days as one of the teachers was a fan: always obviously staged and played for entertainment, and quite good fun to watch! smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/10/22 04:22 PM

Starting on the new season of Dexter. It's pretty good.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/10/22 10:59 PM

It was definitely an interesting season, hagatha! Enjoy!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/10/22 11:25 PM

I liked the last season of Dexter. Interesting is a good way to put it!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/12/22 10:04 PM

So, I'm all caught up on Dexter. That was good -- Dexter doing his best to fit in, blend, be invisible. The job, the girlfriend, great camouflage. Michael C. Hall just fit right back into Dexter's shoes. And I loved the new Passenger.

I think I'll have another run through the first 7 seasons again.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/16/22 08:08 AM

We watched the first couple of episodes of the new season but were not grabbed: perhaps we'll give it another try.

Meanwhile, we are watching a quite intriguing new 8 part show on Sky, The Rising: murder mystery with a supernatural twist.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/20/22 01:56 AM

I'm having a run through the original Dexter. I think the one thing lacking in the final series is the humour. Otherwise I thought it was good, and true to character.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/25/22 08:55 PM

Soot and I recently finished Boba Fett, Halo, and The Offer. We enjoyed them all. Starting to watch Night Sky but the first episode was pretty sad so may not stick with that one.

Son tells us we should watch Ozark. wave

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/26/22 08:28 AM

I think that the humour was quite a large part of the appeal of Dexter: for us, something that dark does not really work without something to lighten the mood.

We continue to thoroughly enjoy Grimm which has humour in spades although played with a wonderfully straight face, good character chemistry and some great lines.

That said we are always on the lookout for something new, so thanks for those mentions L4L.
smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/31/22 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by looney4labs

Son tells us we should watch Ozark. wave

You absolutely should. It's very good. When I'm done with Dexter I'm going to watch the remaining few episodes of the last season. The Spousal Unit lost track during his recent hospital stay and has given up.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 06/05/22 11:19 AM

Two thumbs up for Ozark. thumbsup thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 06/05/22 01:58 PM

After I finish Dexter and then Ozark, I think I'll re-watch Dark. I've been thinking about it for a while.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 06/23/22 07:51 AM

We are having something of a binge watch of Apple TV +: went to it to try Severance and Slow Horses (both good), but have become hooked on For All Mankind, a fictional reworking of the space race with great sixties cars and music, and Shining Girls, creepy serial killer stuff with some time/dimensional shift thrown in. You can sign up from month to month without getting saddled with a long contract. thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 06/23/22 10:59 AM

I think I will re watch Haven again, for the third time.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 06/26/22 04:28 PM

There is a new season of Virgin River coming to Netflix in July and August brings House of the Dragon. happydance

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 06/26/22 11:19 PM

Waiting impatiently for Virgin River.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 06/27/22 12:08 AM

July 20th Connie. thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 06/27/22 11:49 AM

Thanks Space Quest Fan. smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/02/22 02:39 PM

Anyone else watching Westworld on HBO?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/06/22 10:08 PM

I'm a couple of years behind on Westworld. How are seasons three and four? I wasn't thrilled with season 2.

Right now I'm re-watching all 15 seasons of Supernatural. It's perfect for right now; I don't have to pay attention if my head wanders off, and there's a lot of it, so I don't have to plan what to watch next for a few weeks.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/07/22 01:38 AM

We are watching The Terminal List with Chris Pratt!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/07/22 09:45 AM

About to try the Terminal List but meanwhile enjoying an interesting BBC offering with a stellar cast, Sherwood, a convoluted quasi thriller with political comment based on the legacy of the coal miners strikes 30 or so years earlier. thumbsup Also recently enjoyed the Midwich Cuckoos, although not without reservations.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/07/22 04:21 PM

I love a lot of the BBC offerings. A little more difficult to get here wave

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/10/22 10:36 AM

Now back to For All Mankind on Apple TV + which continues to seriously impress us: edge of the seat stuff as while it echoes the actual space race it is a fictional twist on actual events so that you never know what is coming next. Also has a great cast and some excellent side stories (and I think I have already mentioned the cars and the music...) thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/10/22 09:24 PM

I like Chris Pratt so I need to checkout Terminal List. Like Looney I love the BBC shows. Luther is my favorite.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/20/22 07:33 AM

I am currently working my way through an excellent BBC four part series My Life As A Rolling Stone, individual perspectives from the band members with some good archive footage as they look back over their 60 year career https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxsfHtUGlMc thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/21/22 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Space Quest Fan
I like Chris Pratt so I need to checkout Terminal List. Like Looney I love the BBC shows. Luther is my favorite.

We really enjoyed Luther. We'd already seen Idris Elba in The Wire. He's such a good actor.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/22/22 12:06 AM

The Wire is a classic hagatha. I'm watching Virgin River on Netflix now and Alone on History Channel.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/22/22 02:47 AM

I'm still plowing my way through Supernatural. It's something to focus on on the evenings.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/22/22 05:32 PM

I don't know if this was ever made available outside of the UK but if it was, for anyone with a strong constitution, it's a very compelling drama based on true events.

"Appropriate Adult"

You can read about it HERE

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/22/22 05:57 PM

It looks like Roku and Amazon Prime Video are offering it, Mad. I will check it out on Amazon Prime Video. wave

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/22/22 07:19 PM

Well, prepare for some awful stuff if you watch it, Marian yes
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/22/22 07:22 PM

Now there's a sales pitch! lol

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/22/22 07:24 PM

And a double sales pitch at that !! lol
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/22/22 07:42 PM

Yeah, I was trying to change it, not realizing it had already posted.

That is some plot. I was getting confused reading it.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/22/22 08:10 PM

Well, the subject matter certainly isn't hearts and flowers to say the least, so forewarned is forearmed.

I just know that if it wasn't for you, Mad, I would never have watched Unforgotten (which was great), so for me your recommendations are definitely worth checking out. smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/23/22 09:44 PM

The actresses in Unforgotten and Appropriate Adult are both top notch. I've watched several of their performances over the years and always been impressed thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/24/22 11:12 PM

Anyone watching The Gray Man? It's a Netflix original and released this weekend. It was a good action film!

The Gray Man

Ana wave

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 07/25/22 08:14 PM

I loved it Ana. happydance I could see there being a sequel.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/05/22 10:15 PM

I will put it on the list Ana yes
Just watched the first episode of The Sandman and was as impressed as I had hoped happydance

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/05/22 11:44 PM

When I'm done with Supernatural I'll take a cruise back through this thread for idea.

I have my eye on The Outer Range. Anyone watched it?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/06/22 07:57 AM

Harrowing but interesting: we watched it when it first came out. We are suckers for perverted killer tales both real and fictional, for instance The Bundy Tapes on the one hand and Criminal Minds on the other.

Currently our main TV diet consists of Coronation Street, For All Mankind and Grimm with occasional forays into other shows, most recently Code 404 which looks quite promising a bit of lightweight froth from our first look at season 1 episode 1 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9169784/
catrub

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/15/22 12:39 AM

Outer Range is a new one for me hagatha. I enjoyed The Sandman on Netflix and we are a week away from House of the Dragon. happydance

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/15/22 11:40 PM

Finished Sandman and I did enjoy it. Have started Outer Range and so far so good; a cross between X Files and Yellowstone maybe. And yes, House of Dragons is coming!!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/19/22 01:27 AM

Only three more days until we get House of the Dragon. I can't wait. happydance

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/20/22 04:05 PM

I finally finished Supernatural and the the last part of Ozark (I did NOT see that coming!), and started on The Wheel of Time.

I was reading those books when they first came out. The first volumes were so very good, but I thought the series wandered on far, far too long, and then Robert Jordan died, leaving his magnums opus in the hands of a far lesser writer. I'll be interested to see how long the show runs, given how very long the material is; they'll have to do a lot of judicious pruning along the way, I think.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/21/22 03:43 PM

Last night we finished the third season of For All Mankind: a brilliant series but Linda now has withdrawal symptoms and it will be at least a few months before season four, so we may have a rerun... eek

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/21/22 07:33 PM

I finished Season 1 of WOT, and yes, they did a LOT of pruning -- like skipping out most of the second book, which I heartily applaud since it was mostly about the political machinations in the White Tower if I remember correctly. They left out the boring bits. WOT is a good story but Jordan dragged it on, and on, and on and on until I started to get impatient with the whole thing. When Jordan died I just gave up on the series since i couldn't remember much of it and I could not bring myself to re-read the first 11 books. Hopefully the series will continue to be good, and continue to leave out the boring bits, so I can finally see the ending of the story.

Now I'm re-watching The Expanse. We only got to the end of Season 4 and then forgot about it. I'm disappointed that they cancelled the show without completing the entire saga, but apparently there is a reasonable ending.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/22/22 06:07 AM

The Expanse certainly warrants a re-watch rather than just trying to pick up where you left off. I too was disappointed it ended at the point that it did.
For All mankind passed me by. I will check it out.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/24/22 05:30 AM

Was HoD as satisfying to others as I thought it was?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/24/22 08:15 AM

I enjoyed the book of Game of Thrones, but for some reason not the screen version, despite it being faithful to the book and having many aspects which I would have expected to enjoy: I am afraid that House of the Dragon similarly left me cold, but I am hoping for better things with the Amazon Lord of the Rings prequel starting on 2nd September.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/24/22 02:19 PM

Started watching Sandman. Loving it so far!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/25/22 08:44 AM

The trailer for Sandman looks promising: I'll have to give it a try, but it's in a bit of a queue... lol

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/25/22 11:08 PM

Was HoD as satisfying to others as I thought it was?

Loved it! Glad to be back to Westros. happydance

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/28/22 04:48 PM

I cannot understand how The Expanse got cancelled not once, but twice. It's the most exciting science fiction I've ever seen on the small screen. I know they ended the series at the end of book 6, so there is a sort of logical stopping point, but honestly, this is why I almost never start watching a new series now. I don't trust networks and now streaming services to finish what they've started.

Anyway, I'm about to start Season 5, which is where we left off watching a while back. But I've also started to re-read the books. I'd gotten to book 4 and was waiting for book 5, and then forgot about it! So I have a lot of good reading ahead of me.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/28/22 05:17 PM

We just finished Frequency on Netflix ... plot: a present day detective makes contact with her deceased father via a ham radio ... very good drama mystery whose story line is loosely based on the original 2000 science fiction thriller drama film same title.

I believe it's only on the Netflix lineup until 3 September ... 13 episodes for you Binge Watchers

[Linked Image]

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/29/22 04:19 PM

Thanks for that soot: may have to revisit Netflix for a look at that and a couple of other items.

Meanwhile, BBC had just started another season of The Capture which has us hooked https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00085sx

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/30/22 07:36 AM

I don't know either of those but will check them out.
Started watching Pistols on Disney and half way in its a definite mixed bag.
I have recently been seeking out 'indie' SF films. The Endless, Vast of Night and Coherence are ones that are well worth a watch if you like a thoughtful contemplative after-shock.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/30/22 05:49 PM

Thanks for those ideas flotsam: I will take a look, as they are all available on Amazon prime video.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 08/31/22 04:25 AM

Lex, The Endless is 'connected' to another film by the makers called Resolution. It came first, and I didn't watch them in that order and didn't think it mattered, but if you watch and enjoy The Endless check that one out too.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/01/22 11:37 PM

Looking forward to watching Amazon's The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/02/22 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Space Quest Fan
Looking forward to watching Amazon's The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power.

Me, too.

Just coming up to the final season of The Expanse. I'm sad it's ending. It's just so good.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/02/22 02:38 AM

Me three. Just watched the first, now onto the second happydance

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/03/22 03:34 AM

Just finished the second episode of The Rings of Power. thumbsup bravo happydance woot

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/03/22 03:36 AM

While i wait for the Rings of Power to complete its season, I'm starting with Bosch: Legacy. I enjoyed the Original Bosch -- Titus Welliver is perfect -- and this doesn't disappoint.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/05/22 12:33 AM

The Legacy series didn't grab me as much as the original hagatha but its certainly worth a watch. Titus is as good as ever.
And I am with you SQF woot

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/05/22 05:32 AM

While i wait for the Rings of Power to complete its season, I'm starting with Bosch: Legacy. I enjoyed the Original Bosch -- Titus Welliver is perfect -- and this doesn't disappoint.

Where are you getting Bosch: Legacy?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/05/22 09:15 AM

Bosch Legacy is on Amazon Prime video in UK but perhaps somewhere else in USA. smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/07/22 01:46 AM

If you like bit of family drama wrapped around the tension in the kitchen of a Chicago 'sandwich shop', The Bear is well worth a watch. It builds a great sense of place and atmosphere. Its new on Disney down here.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/07/22 03:28 AM

Just finished the 11th episode of Sandman. Wow! Keep your cats away!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/07/22 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Reg

Where are you getting Bosch: Legacy?

I watched it on Amazon Prime.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/07/22 02:24 PM

I will have to look for Bosch on Prime... it sounds good.

The 11th episode of The Sandman did not disappoint! I sure hope this has more seasons because I loved it.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/07/22 04:22 PM

Still enjoying the edge of your seat rush of The Capture on BBC, also Ridley, a new more gently paced detective series on ITV starring Adrian Dunbar: always a sign of autumn when new dramas start to appear! smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/07/22 06:13 PM

I'm thinking that I'll re-watch Fringe. It's been 10 years, and I thoroughly enjoyed it back then.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/08/22 10:22 PM

Me to hagatha. Good idea yes

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 09/10/22 05:43 PM

Three episodes in and all I can say is that it will be worth the wait hagatha. So far this is fantastic. happydance
Posted By: judith

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/09/22 05:39 PM

I spent yesterday afternoon watching a miniseries on the Lifetime channel called "Flowers in the attic: the Origin". It's a prequel to Flowers in the attic & it tells the story of how Olivia transformed into the horrible Grandmother. My goodness was it ever good.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/09/22 06:43 PM

I blasted my way through all of The Expanse, and Then Stranger Things, Season 4. It's pretty awesome. I particularly love the subtle nerdish references all the way though, to LOTR, and Buffy, and many of the other major gamer/fantasy tropes.

I'm now watching The Leftovers; it's been on my radar for a while and I thought now is the time. It's a slow burn for the first two episodes and I almost gave up, but the premise is fascinating and I'm seriously liking it now.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/09/22 08:32 PM

Stick with The Leftovers hagatha. There is some seriously good television to come. The last season is a bit out there, but all the way through there are moments that can take your breath away.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/09/22 09:47 PM

Flotsam, It already has taken my breath away a couple of times. It got me thinking about how that would affect people, the people who loved the ones who disappeared. It's really powerful stuff. It's one thing to lose someone to accident or disease or even old age; it's another thing altogether to have loved ones just...vanish.

Also, the soundtrack is incredible. I like Max Richter; his music is obsessive and sad, perfect for this show.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/10/22 10:13 PM

The soundtrack does work a treat, and some scenes are indelibly linked to various tracks in my mind. There is one which uses Nothing Else Matters that I 'see' every time I hear that track.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/11/22 02:13 AM

Can't say I love the season 2 theme song, though. Arrrrrgh.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/11/22 04:43 PM

I'm still loving The Rings of Power and House of the Dragon is a 10 for me. bravo

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/11/22 08:08 PM

I'm waiting for the full seasons for both of those so I can do a complete binge. I'm looking forward to it.

After the Leftovers I might check out The Boys. We started it a couple of years ago and John didn't like it so we ditched it, but it might be fun.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/11/22 08:58 PM

Space Q, those two are both 10's for me!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/11/22 09:20 PM

Ditto Draclvr, and the binge idea is a good one hagatha. I have watched them each week but will redo them straight through prior to watching the last episodes.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/11/22 09:21 PM

That's a good idea flotsam!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/11/22 10:14 PM

I'm pretty sure that this week is the last episode of season one of The Rings of Power so get ready to binge. happydance

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/11/22 10:49 PM

Oh, no! I'm not ready for it to be over!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/12/22 12:22 AM

I was hoping there was going to be more episodes too but I looked on IMDB and it only listed 8 episodes. cry

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/12/22 03:16 PM

I like a nice long binge, but these shorter seasons can be wonderful because the writing has to be really tight, unlike the old 24-episode seasons where half of the episodes were filler.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/12/22 04:42 PM

Some interestingly different thrillers have recently come our way A Friend Of The Family https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12661338/ and Inside Man https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10948716/ and The Walk In https://www.imdb.com/title/tt22175166/

... although we are still working through and greatly enjoying Grimm thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/15/22 01:04 AM

Grimm does sound right up my alley. I'm hoping one of my streaming services picks it up again. maybe Crave.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/15/22 01:20 AM

I am not a big Star Wars fan (not helped by the recent series eg Obi Wan, Boba Fett) but the new series Andor is certainly kicking some goals. So much better than the others and with plenty more still to come.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/15/22 02:43 AM

OK hagatha time to binge season one of Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power. I think you are going to be impressed. Even though it is a series everything about it is movie quality. Enjoy! happydance

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/15/22 03:15 AM

Allright. Once I finish The Leftovers, I'm queuing it up!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/15/22 04:20 AM

I almost don't want to watch it because it's the last show in season 1!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/15/22 05:23 PM

Eight episodes is just not enough. Maybe season two will have more episodes since they have seen how popular the series is???

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/19/22 12:53 PM

Have downloaded the first episode of The Leftovers, but currently engrossed in Wisting - cool scandi noir! thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/19/22 02:52 PM

OK. Watched the last episode of Rings of Power. NOW I know who The Stranger is!!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/19/22 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Draclvr
OK. Watched the last episode of Rings of Power. NOW I know who The Stranger is!!

LOL lol Did you like the series Draclvr?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/19/22 08:49 PM

LOVED it and hated to see the last episode! I really want more soon.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/19/22 09:37 PM

I loved it too. I like that even though it is Lord of the Rings it was covering things that we had not seen before. Hopefully seeing how successful it has been they will increase the episodes in season two. smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/20/22 08:20 PM

Okay, so I just finished The Leftovers. That was quite a ride. One of the strangest and most emotionally charged shows I've ever seen.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/21/22 11:42 AM

We have been watching 'The Sandman' series bedtime

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/21/22 02:10 PM

I loved Sandman!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/21/22 02:36 PM

I've been eyeing Sandman.

I have two episodes left to watch in Rings of Power. I think I know who Strange man is, right from the start, so I'm dying to know if I'm right.

EDIT: I see that The Sinner, Bill Pullman's series, now has a Season 4, which I will happily watch.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/21/22 10:03 PM

I liked Sandman too. This week is the last episode of House of the Dragon season one. cry I'm going to miss it.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/21/22 10:27 PM

Ah, good. Now I can watch House of the Dragon.

I was right about the strange man. I had no clue about Sauron, though.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/22/22 01:14 AM

Just going back a few, emotionally charged is an excellent encapsulation of The Leftovers hagatha
Sandman was very good, if at times a little episodic. And I did binge Rings of Power right through before watching the last one and certainly enjoyed that.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/22/22 02:24 AM

The Guardian review of The Rings of Power was less than stellar -- a LOT less, actually -- but what do they know?

The Sinner is delivering once again, with Bill Pullman's withdrawn, obsessive and possibly suicidal cop talking to dead people while he solves their murders. It's a quick watch, but I really enjoy it.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/22/22 04:46 AM

The Patient is well worth a watch. Steve Carell in a very dramatic role - who knew?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/22/22 12:15 PM

Has anyone watch Succession on HBO? I was late to the party but I'm really enjoying it.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/23/22 12:05 AM

I haven't watched Succession but a friend of mine highly recommends it.

Since the last episode of House of the Dragon drops tomorrow, I've started watching it. I love that they used the same theme, just speeded up a bit. So far I'm enjoying it, with Matt Smith suitably menacing right from the get-go. He'll make a wonderful Mad Targaryen.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/23/22 03:09 PM

I really like Matt Smith. He was my favorite Dr. Who.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/23/22 07:24 PM

Hey, I just found Grimm on one of my streaming services, and it look as though all of the seasons to date are there. That will be my next watch, I think.
Posted By: Pokey

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/23/22 08:16 PM

Succession is such a great show! I can't wait for season 4 after the shocking end of season3.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/24/22 05:07 AM

So...the end of House of the Dragon's first season. I can't wait for next year.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/24/22 10:41 PM

Me too hagatha. bravo

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/27/22 03:47 AM

Sounds like Season 2 will be out in early 2024. Bummer.

I also enjoyed the Wheel of Time, though I cannot see Amazon paying to produce a series of the entire 14 or so novels. Though it must be said that a lot of those novels was just filler, I thought. They did go on. And on. I finally gave up when RJ died. I'm not keen on Brandon Sanderson.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 10/27/22 09:27 AM

Hope you enjoy Grimm - excellent undemanding but quite interesting and very enjoyable entertainment! thumbsup

We are really enjoying Wisting which I think is now in its fourth season - very dark Scandi noir so you need a strong stomach, but a nice slow burn with great cast and very good production values and plot development thumbsup

Disappointed to learn that the next season of For All Mankind will probably not become available for another twelve months... cry

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/01/22 02:30 AM

Lex, I wasn't sure about Grimm for the first few episodes, but now that the actors have their characters set and the plotting is starting to have an overall story arc and some background mythology, it's quite enjoyable. I'll definitely continue watching it.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/02/22 11:04 PM

Watching Peripheral on Amazon Prime. thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/03/22 01:24 AM

I've got Peripheral on my watch list. Is it good?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/03/22 03:16 AM

Just watched the last episode of House of the Dragon. I hate having to wait forever for the next season!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/03/22 02:19 PM

Draclvr, I absolutely loved HOTD, more so than The Rings of Power. And apparently we'll have a long wait for season 2.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/04/22 01:02 AM

I'm with you hagatha. House of the Dragon was so good and I did like The Rings of Power too. Peripheral has a lot of twists. I like it!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/04/22 03:15 AM

Oh, good. I'm glad Peripheral is entertaining.

I think I might watch the last season of Peaky Blinders next. I'm sorry that the wonderful actress Helen McCrory died and won't be in it. She was incredible.

After that I think I'll check out The Boys.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/05/22 12:03 AM

I love Peaky Blinders. Helen McCrory was awesome in Penny Dreadful. RIP hearts

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/06/22 08:25 AM

Just started watching SAS: Rogue Heroes which is from the same stable as Peaky Blinders - looks quite promising and an interesting blend of music in the soundtrack! https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/sas-rogue-heroes-bbc-soundtrack/

About to try The Devil's Hour on Amazon Prime Video: has anyone else seen that yet?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/07/22 01:06 PM

Just watch Enola Holmes 2 on Netflix. If you enjoyed the first movie you will like this one too.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/09/22 10:02 AM

The Devil's Hour turns out to be the most effectively spooky thriller we have seen in quite a while... nicely paced so 3 episodes in and we are still not sure where it is going! scared thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/09/22 12:24 PM

Watching the final season of Manifest on Netflix. They broke it down half this year and half next year. I don't like having to wait a whole year for the second half of a final season.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/10/22 05:05 AM

I will check out The Devils Hour Lex. It looks like my sort of thing.
I mentioned The Patient earlier. Having finished, it is excellent and brave dramatic tv.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/11/22 01:11 PM

flotsam I have had other people tell me they enjoyed The Patient too. I think I need to check that out. thanks

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/11/22 11:45 PM

Am certainly enjoying Devil's Hour. Many thanks for the tip smile

Got to the end and was a bit disappointed by the final episode but still thought it was well worth a watch.
Have just moved onto the most recent season of Hidden.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/15/22 02:37 AM

I'm still loving Peripheral and you all might want to try Mosquito Coast on Apple TV. Season two just started. smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/19/22 12:10 AM

We just finished binging Rings of Power and hope the seasons continue wave

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/19/22 01:54 AM

We just watched the movie made of the novel "Where the Crawdads Sing." It was quite good, but I kind of wish I hadn't already read the book!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/19/22 04:41 AM

Me too Dan!
I watched the first epsiode of Peripheral SQF and really enjoyed it.
And i have never read the book Draclvr so can come at the movie 'cold'.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/20/22 02:40 PM

I liked The Rings of Power too soot. it made me feel like I was watching a movie instead of a series.

I think I saw the Crawdads movie is on Netflix. I'll check it out Draclvr. thanks

For those of you who watched The Devil's Hour what did you think of Lucy's decision at the end? I love those shows where you are trying to figure out what is going on all the way through the series.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/20/22 05:22 PM

We did think that the end of The Devil's Hour could have been better rounded off, and I wasn't sure that it was an actual decision by Lucy rather than a manipulation by Gideon to get her back into her real life, but perhaps they have deliberately left it a bit unclear to allow for second season... catrub

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/21/22 12:58 AM

I think I am in the manipulation camp as well and somehow the timelines have merged. But it isn't clear crazy
I liked the ambiguity, but could have done without so much exposition. It wouldn't have been easy though to get things to where they landed.
A season 2 would be intriguing.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/21/22 01:01 PM

I also watched Where the Crawdads Sing, it was excellent.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/22/22 02:15 AM

Where the Crawdads Sing.....Excellent! thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/22/22 03:31 AM

I've just started to re-watch The Terror, on Amazon Prime. It's a fantastic adaptation of Dan Simmon's novel of the same name, a fictionalized version of the Franklin Expedition's doomed journey. It's intelligent, has a fantastic cast, and is wonderfully suspenseful and creepy.

The second season, which I have not seen, is a different storyline altogether.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/22/22 05:54 AM

After years I finally caught up with the last 3 seasons of Longmire that were originally only on Netflix. Great show.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/23/22 01:40 AM

The Terror is really good, and season 2 is well worth a watch also.
Its been a while since I watched it so it might have to be added to the 'do again' list.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/23/22 03:44 AM

I MUST watch The Terror! I have read the book twice and absolutely love it. Very excited as I did not even know it existed. Thank you, hagatha!

EDIT: Well, shucks. Each episode is $2.99 and it's not available on AMC any more.

Longmire was a great series... kind of a Yellowstone "lite!"

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/24/22 03:18 AM

The Terror is on Amazon Prime here in Canada.

It's one of my very favourite Dan Simmons books. The first two Hyperion books are fantastic, too.

Edit: the series is very true to the book although the ending is a bit less ambiguous. It's a superb adaptation. Can you get a one-month Prime subscription just for that?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/24/22 03:35 AM

I already HAVE an Amazon Prime subscription! I also have AMC which is where it was originally aired, but it is no longer available. I am so disappointed, but I'm sure not paying that much for this!

I watched the Rings of Power series and several others for no additional charges. But this one is $25 for Season 1 alone!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/24/22 04:02 PM

That's too bad. Maybe The Terror will end up on Netflix or come back to Prime.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/24/22 06:05 PM

I just finished The English on Amazon Prime and I enjoyed it.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/24/22 11:35 PM

That's too bad. Maybe The Terror will end up on Netflix or come back to Prime.

I've got Prime on a Fire Stick and a search says it's on Hulu, if it's the same show you're talking about. The one I found says it's about an Arctic expedition.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/25/22 12:00 AM

That's the one, Uncle Reg. But I don't have Hulu and won't be getting it. I already pay out the wazoo for our satellite TV and streaming!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/25/22 10:12 AM

I think that Hulu may offer a one month free trial which could be a way forward (I was exploring it to try to watch The Patient)... catrub

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/25/22 03:02 PM

Draclvr, that might be the solution.

I'm two episodes in and once again, I'm impressed at how well they captured the story, the blind hubris of the commanding officers, the claustrophobia and creepiness of the setting, and the overall sense of doom approaching. Dan Simmons was an Executive Director on the project, so it's not surprising. The cast is superb.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/25/22 03:19 PM

My son and I were both just offered a month of free Hulu. Hulu is also offering this until the 28th.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/27/22 01:05 AM

And its worth a read too, whether you are able to watch it or not.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/27/22 03:43 AM

I guess I could binge it! I think there are only about a dozen episodes?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/27/22 04:39 PM

There are ten episodes per season. The Terror is the first season. It's so gripping I've already binged it.

I should add that the ending was rewritten to have far more closure, and it's a much better ending than the one Simmons gave it. It's powerful and meaningful. On the now-defunct Simmons forum, he was proud of the production, so obviously he approved of the changes.

I would give this a 10/10.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/27/22 04:50 PM

From what I read, the other seasons are about other things, not the expedition?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/27/22 05:39 PM

Yes,. There's only one more season, a different story.

I'm going to repost what I added above since I added it after your post:

I should add that the ending was rewritten to have far more closure, and it's a much better ending than the one Simmons gave it. It's powerful and meaningful. On the now-defunct Simmons forum, he was proud of the production, so obviously he approved of the changes.

I would give this a 10/10.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/27/22 08:21 PM

Now, a re-written ending would be much more satisfying than the one in the book. Had you read when they found the Terror and Erubus a few years ago? They also found 3 nearly perfectly preserved bodies in the permafrost.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/28/22 05:01 AM

I had heard about the finds.

Dan Simmons is a great writer, but his ending was far too open-ended. The TV show nailed it. If you get a chance to watch, I think you'll agree. Actually, maybe it's time I hauled out my copy of the book and re-read it.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/28/22 03:02 PM

I didn't see this new show mentioned yet (if it has been sorry), but I started watching Wednesday on Netflix last night and it's absolutely brilliant and original. I am hooked!

Ana wave

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/28/22 04:23 PM

I plan on starting to watch Wednesday tonight!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/28/22 07:55 PM

Netflix has Glass Onion which is a A Knives Out mystery coming in December.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/28/22 11:01 PM

Drac, let me know what you think!

Thanks, SpaceQ! I'll be watching!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/29/22 02:51 AM

Ana, I am totally hooked in just one episode! Delicious!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/29/22 04:14 AM

yay Drac! I hate recommending things, but I was so pleasantly surprised with it.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/29/22 09:58 PM

And I do like the references to the old TV series that have popped up in the two episodes I have watched so far.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/30/22 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by BrownEyedTigre
I didn't see this new show mentioned yet (if it has been sorry), but I started watching Wednesday on Netflix last night and it's absolutely brilliant and original. I am hooked!

Ana wave

Ana my favorite was the dance scene and the girl who plays Wednesday was fabulous. I'm hoping we get treated to a second season. happydance

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 11/30/22 04:23 PM

I'm not that far yet having only watched the first episode, but I've read about the dance scene. Staying away from reading about it until I've seen all the episodes!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/02/22 02:35 AM

Just saw the dance episode rah

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/02/22 02:42 AM

I glad you enjoyed that scene flotsam. I really liked the chello scene too. bravo

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/02/22 01:57 PM

SpaceQ and flotsam, I just saw the dance episode too! The actress for Wednesday is just phenomenal. I could watch her all day! What a great episode! I sadly only have 2 episodes left. I hope they will hurry up with a season 2.

That said, what are your opinions on Gomez? In my mind, based on the original Addams family, Gomez was a sexy romantic man. I find the actor playing Gomez to be very repulsive and it breaks me out of the mood of being immersed in the show. Am I alone on this?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/02/22 08:14 PM

I agree about Gomez... the original was this suave and sexy guy. This guy is a repulsive toad! But Wednesday herself is enough to help me forget about him.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/02/22 09:26 PM

I don’t find him repulsive but he is no John Astin that’s for sure.
They are right to focus on Wednesday and I like that they made room for Christina Ricci

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/02/22 09:54 PM

The other Adams Family members were a little weak to me but Wednesday carried everyones water in this series. She was spectacular! I wonder if she really plays the cello because she really sold that scene.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/02/22 10:12 PM

Found this. Later in the piece, it said she didn't actually play the cello in the series, but was able to mime doing it because of her lessons.

Did Jenna Ortega learn to play cello for Wednesday?
Displaying extremely impressive dedication to the role, Ortega learned a host of new skills for Wednesday, including fencing, German, archery, boxing, and playing the cello.

She told Wired that she began taking cello lessons twice a week, two months before filming for the series began. “I probably couldn’t play too well now,” she admitted, but continued, “It is something that I want to continue to pursue. I have immense respect for anybody who plays the cello. I think it’s such a delightful instrument”.

Ortega also told the outlet that she would love to be a composer of ambient music and release “neo-composing albums”.

Here is the entire article.

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-.../does-jenna-ortega-play-cello-wednesday/

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/02/22 10:50 PM

thanks Draclvr thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/02/22 11:49 PM

Interesting - thanks wave

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/03/22 01:51 AM

Wow, Drac! She's quite the talented girl! And I loved her cello performance! I'm getting ready to watch the final 2 episodes, I will be sad to see it end! I don't watch much TV, this really caught my eye!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/03/22 04:02 AM

Sounds like everyone is enjoying Wednesday. I could use a change of pace so maybe it will be my next watch.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/03/22 04:22 AM

It's not necessary, but it might be good to get a background in the old Addams Family TV show! I never missed it.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/03/22 01:18 PM

I just started watching it, Fantastic.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/03/22 01:42 PM

I watched some of it back in the day, so I will catch the references to the earlier show.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/03/22 06:20 PM

Started watching the mystery series "Three Pines" with Chief Inspector Gamache ... Adapted from Louise Penny's 'Still Life' book.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/04/22 06:11 AM

By the way, Lex, I did watch Grimm and quite liked it -- nothing Earth-shattering, but lots of fun.

I've started Wednesday. Quite amusing. I love the Buffy references.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/04/22 11:13 AM

We are still nibbling away at Grimm - often nothing special but always entertaining and occasionally exceptional, and good ensemble cast. Have just started watching Three Pines on Amazon Prime (mentioned by soot): a slow burner but could be fun. catrub

Also still continuing with the creepy and sometimes rather uncomfortable A Friend of the Family https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/a_friend_of_the_family/s01

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/04/22 12:30 PM

Soot, how is Three Pines? I have it on my to watch list.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/04/22 04:33 PM

We tried Three Pines yesterday and made it 2 episodes and it didn't grasp hubby and I so we quit. We then tried The Peripheral and it found it equally not very riveting. We did however settle on a movie called The People We Hate at the Wedding which ended up to be very entertaining after a bit of a slow start.

Ana wave

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/04/22 05:31 PM

We're trying The Watcher on Netflix. Could be interesting.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/04/22 06:58 PM

Ana-

Have you watched Where the Crawdads Sing on Netflix?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/05/22 01:42 AM

I have the Watcher on my list. How are you liking it?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/05/22 01:47 AM

Drac and SpaceQ, I have not tried either one, so we will be checking them out!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/05/22 02:20 AM

No opinion on Watcher yet. Typical big house, deliciously creepy neighbors, lots of suspects etc.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/05/22 03:30 AM

Stumbled across a TV series of the excellent Scando film Let The Right One In, of which the English language remake (Let Me In) is rather good too (which doesn't happen very often).
Only one episode in but its already going to be rather different. Not sure what I think yet but I need to watch a couple more anyway before passing judgement.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/05/22 04:06 AM

This sounds like the title of a book I read. Scandanavian too, if I remember. About a young vampire girl.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/05/22 04:36 AM

Thats the one yes

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/05/22 02:57 PM

So, Wednesday is a lot of fun. I'm absolutely convinced that Wednesday's roommate is a loving homage to Buffy's friend Willow. The young actress must have studied Alyson Hannigan's vocal phrasing, facial expressions and movement. Even her wardrobe is identical. There are many parallels between the two shows, too, including a take on the iconic WWBD, only in this case it was WWWD. And there's the whole boyfriend-turning-into-a-monster moment. Anyway, good fun.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/05/22 03:38 PM

I kicked myself for watching two episodes of Wednesday last night! But I HAD to find out what happened!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/05/22 07:42 PM

I kicked myself for watching two episodes of Wednesday last night! But I HAD to find out what happened!

I often watch several episodes at one sitting. lol I seem to have gaming days, errand days, and streaming days, with the odd cleaning day mixed in.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/05/22 08:56 PM

I just am not ready for the series to be over!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/05/22 09:35 PM

Is it limited series, or will there be another year? Or do we know yet?

It's cleverly done, and well-written. I suspected who was who by the middle of the season. I think I have one or two more episodes left.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/05/22 10:54 PM

It apparently isn't intended to be a limited series and more seasons are planned but as far as I can tell from some googling it hasn't yet been 'renewed'.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/06/22 12:52 AM

I'd watch another season if they kept up the quality.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/06/22 01:16 AM

hagatha, too funny that you too thought Wednesdays roommate has the facial expressions of Alyson Hannigan. The whole first episode I kept telling hubby that I know her from somewhere and then it hit me! American Pie. lol

Drac, I am so sad we finished it. I absolutely loved it!

Now waiting for Miracle Workers Season 4 to start!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/06/22 05:57 AM

I'm watching Season 5 of the Crown, which may or may not be entirely fictitious but it's compelling drama all the same.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/06/22 11:48 AM

Connie, Three Pines was very good. We can't wait for the next episode. happydance

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/06/22 12:34 PM

Thank You Soot, it is on my to watch list smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/08/22 09:08 PM

I just watched the first episode of Three Pines. Not being familiar with the books it was not at all what I was expecting, especially after the opening, but was very enjoyable.
Looking forward to more yes

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/09/22 12:21 AM

I'm watching The Midnight Club. It's decent enough, with some episodes being very good indeed, but not up to Mike Flanagan's two Haunting series and his Midnight Mass.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/09/22 08:19 AM

I agree hagatha about it not living up to those others and I confess I gave up on it before the end.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/09/22 06:51 PM

Flotsam, it got better as it went along. It was kind of a meditation on loss and death and acceptance. In the end the horror aspects of it were far less important than those themes and I guess it hit home for me because some of it rang so true.

Can't decide what to watch next. I watched two episodes of Dead to Me and ditched it.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/10/22 03:12 AM

I mainly left off because it felt a bit too RL Stine for my liking but you have convinced me to go back to it hagatha wave

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/10/22 03:55 AM

I'm still looking for something compelling to watch and I keep thinking it might be time to re-watch Dark. I can't find Justified anywhere, which was the other show I felt like watching again; Timothy Olyphant is so brilliant in that role.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/10/22 05:28 AM

I haven't watched it yet but 1899 is being compared with Dark so maybe have a look at that.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/10/22 03:05 PM

I will.

In the meantime, under the banner of "So bad it's almost good" I'm watching Safe, on Netflix.

I've never seen so many silly plot holes and ridiculous premises. And Michael C. Hall, much as I like him, is so egregiously miscast and his British accent is so abysmal it boggles the mind; was there no British actor willing to take on the role?

I was going to turn it off but it's like the proverbial slow-motion train-wreck only in this case the train is barrelling along at breakneck speed and I can't look away. I mean, just as one example, Hall plays a heart surgeon who seemingly never actually does any surgery, plays detective for days and days and even risks his precious "golden hands" to chase down and beat up a gang member with his fists, even though his girlfriend is the lead detective on the case?

It's the first time I've watched something so irresistibly, so compellingly bad. Wow.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/10/22 10:30 PM

Well now I'm going to HAVE to check it out woozy And I certainly agree about Justified and Timothy.
I never understand why they make people do bad accents. If you need the person in the cast, just write them with their own accent. Surely the character can be from elsewhere.
Case in point, while I got used to hearing Hugh Laurie's accent in House, why on earth couldn't he just have been British?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/11/22 03:33 AM

I don't think Hugh Laurie's real accent would have played well.

EDIT: So, I'm watching The Boyz. It's twisted and offensive -- but in a very entertaining way. You definitely wouldn't want your younger kids mistaking it for a superhero show.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/13/22 03:56 AM

It is indeed twisted and offensive and I liked it a lot devilchili
A related leg of the dog (perhaps) is Love Death and Robots. Its animation, and can be equally twisted and offensive. Some of the animation is exquisite. Ditto some of the story telling. The first episode of season 1 and the last episode of season 3 beautifully bookend things. The animation style and the storytelling differs throughout, but if you watch nothing else watch those.
And apologies if we have covered this before (these threads get long and I forget stuff!)

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/13/22 06:16 AM

I'm just finishing the first season of The Newsroom, an HBO series from about 10 years ago. It is very good.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/13/22 03:14 PM

I haven't watched the Newsroom but a couple of friends have recommended it to me.

Yes, I am enjoying The Boyz. It can be very funny, and there have been times I've startled my cats by laughing out loud. The cast is wonderful. In Season 2 the offensiveness just keeps on ramping up. grin

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/14/22 03:02 AM

The Boys is definitely an entertaining show! We watched a couple episodes and then I forgot about it. I'll have to get back to it!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/14/22 06:10 AM

The Boys is definitely an entertaining show! We watched a couple episodes and then I forgot about it. I'll have to get back to it!

Be warned: with each new season, the Boys reaches for -- and exceeds-- new heights of offensiveness. lol It's highly entertaining, though, with a good story and great cast.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/15/22 01:07 AM

lol hagatha! That's ok. I have a pretty twisted sense of humor!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/15/22 04:18 AM

lol hagatha! That's ok. I have a pretty twisted sense of humor!

You'll need it!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/15/22 10:41 AM

Good Morning Hagatha and Ana. I just started watching an old Australian series called "A Place to Call Home". So far it is excellent. Have any of you watched it before?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/15/22 05:23 PM

I hadn't heard of it, Gerry. What's it about?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/16/22 03:00 PM

It is a drama Hagatha. It follows a nurse who returns to Australia in 1950s after 20 years in Europe. It starts out on a ship back to Australia where she meets a wealthy family and gets caught up in their "drama". Lots going on as the story unfolds with secrets, romance, betrayals...

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/16/22 04:32 PM

I finished Season 3 of The Boys. Very exciting, and I can't wait for Season 4. As I said previously, it reaches new heights (depths?) of offensiveness with each episode, so it's definitely not for everyone.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/18/22 10:10 PM

hagatha, if you are ok with animation. Invincible has a bit of a Boys vibe about it. Robert Kirkman was one of the writers of the comics on which its based. Season 2 is due soonish too.
I liked it a lot yes

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/19/22 04:53 AM

I might have a look at that at some point.

Right now I'm re-watching Mad Men and remembering how good it is. The chain smoking! The binge drinking! The constant cheating!

I worked in that business for a while in my 20's. By that time it wasn't a constant party in the office, but we all smoked up a storm and there was a lot of after hours wining and dining and avoiding persistent male clients. Most of the advertising firms mentioned in Mad Men were real companies.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/26/22 03:42 AM

I watched Glass Onion on Netflix. thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/26/22 08:07 AM

Thanks for the recommendation SQF: I enjoyed Knives Out so will give the one a try.

Meanwhile, we have just watched Top Gun: Maverick which was excellent (made even better by being a free gift via Sky VIP, but I think also recently available on Paramount +) thumbsup12

In terms of more seasonal fare we have revisited The Snowman, also enjoying Charlie Mackesy's animation of The Boy, The Mole, The Fox And The Horse and the Doc Martin Christmas special.

Hope you are all having a festive time! holidays

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/26/22 05:13 PM

SpaceQ, we watched the Glass Onion last night. I enjoyed it!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/27/22 01:15 AM

Still enjoying Mad Men. For a drama that moves as slowly as a glacier, it sure is compelling.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/29/22 02:53 PM

I just finished the first season of The White Lotus on HBO Here. My husband and I greatly enjoyed guessing who was murdered and by whom throughout the episodes (first few minutes sets the scene that a murder was committed) and it was great fun with a mix of comedy and drama and very brilliantly wrapped up season and the reveal of who was murdered. It does not disappoint! Can't wait to start this years season 2!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/30/22 01:54 AM

Ana I went to IMDB to checkout White Lotus and it looks like it has an awesome cast. I can't wait to check it out.

Happy New Year! newyear

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/30/22 02:16 AM

hagatha, we ran across Mad Men when the Germans were here a few years ago. We had so much fun watching it - think we binged it in about 5 days!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/30/22 09:52 AM

Anyone else watching Your Honor with Bryan Cranston? Shaping up quite nicely after 3 episodes of season 1 thumbsup12

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/30/22 04:53 PM

Draclvr, I am blasting m way through Mad Men. I love it. I've just finished Season 5, where poor old Laine, struggling to make ends meet, steals from the company to pay a debt, and then his wife writes a cheque for a Jaguar, which won't start when he tries to kill himself in it. Tragicomic, and brilliant writing.

Lex, I've been eyeing Your Honor.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/30/22 06:07 PM

Lex, et al, we are rewatching Jack Ryan to prep for Season 3 ... after finishing The Glass Onion which was most excellent!
wave2

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 12/30/22 06:11 PM

soot, do you know when Season 3 of Jack Ryan is supposed to happen?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/01/23 02:02 AM

Dracvlr, I have the new season of Jack Ryan on my Prime Video now.

Ah. I see that Season 11 of TWD is now available, for some further zombie mayhem. I wonder who makes it out alive?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/01/23 02:42 AM

I'm looking forward to TWD... I'm not sure. Is this the last season? I'll have to tell hubby that Jack Ryan is available!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/01/23 05:20 AM

I think it is the last season of TWD. I've been deliberately avoiding reading anything about it for over a year. I was looking forward to the Daryl/Carol spinoff, and then it got cancelled. But there are others, and I guess I'll watch them.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/01/23 07:18 AM

I did watch Season 1 Lex and I thought it was a bit of a mixed bag, mainly toward the back end. But I will likely watch the new one.
Finally managed to see the most recent season of Line of Duty. Very satisfying.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/03/23 10:26 AM

Hagatha there will be a spin-off with Daryl taking place in Paris, France...Carol may join in the series in the future...it was an issue with her having to move to Europe that delayed her being a part of the new show at the beginning. Flotsam I loved the series Line of Duty. Is it Season 6 that you watched?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/03/23 04:10 PM

I'll watch the spinoffs to see if they're any good.

I gave up on Fear the Walking Dead a while back. I liked the first couple of seasons but it went downhill fast, I thought..

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/04/23 01:55 AM

It was KS. I missed it if it was ever broadcast free to air down here and it only just became available on one of my streaming services.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/04/23 09:00 AM

The must-watch now for us is Happy Valley, just back for a third and final series on BBC: we are probably going to reprise the first two series to pick up the finer nuances
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/happy-valley-series-3

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/04/23 10:36 AM

I agree about Fear the Walking Dead Hagatha...I'm going to give it one more chance when it comes back...I think in February.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/05/23 02:39 AM

Just finished the first half (3 episodes) of The English. If you like Westerns and don't mind the inherent violence that comes with them, this one has some new elements, and is beautifully shot with some exceptional dialogue. Plus it stars Emily Blunt.
Am enjoying it a lot.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/06/23 05:33 PM

I finished Mad Men last night. What a fantastic piece of writing. We watched it ten years ago and were impressed, but I enjoyed it more this time through. The characters are so richly written that they feel like old friends by the end and I'm sad to see them go.

I was going to watch the last season TWD but my Prime AMC+ is a total ripofff; it shows that all 11 seasons of TWD are available on my subscription, but they aren't actually available; I can see them all, all the season and all the episodes but they aren't available for streaming -- which means I'm cancelling my subscription after only one month. Talk about a bait and switch.

That being the case, I started to watch Outer Range. Interesting.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/06/23 06:24 PM

Outer Range is indeed interesting hagatha!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/07/23 06:11 AM

Outer Range is very weird but I would watch a Season 2.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/07/23 05:54 PM

I just watched The Pale Blue Eye on Netflix. Pretty dark but I liked the twists.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/10/23 03:07 AM

Me too hagatha.
And I have put taht movie on my 'to watch' list SQF thumbsup.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/14/23 09:50 PM

I hope you like it flotsam. smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/14/23 11:13 PM

It took awhile for The Pale Blue Eye to come together, but I loved it! Hubby on the other hand, took his book to the sun porch.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/16/23 03:39 AM

I was going to watch the last season of TWD but realized that I've completely lost the plot over the last few years, so I'm re-watching it from the start. It's better than I thought it would be. I guess there was a reason I stayed with it.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/16/23 03:59 PM

I would like to rewatch TWD some time too.

I watched the first episode of The Last of Us last night. It was a lot of setting up the characters and the plot, but I will definitely be watching the rest of this one.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/16/23 08:45 PM

My Crave subscription also has The Last of Us. I'll wait until the whole season has dropped so I can stream it all. It's had good reviews.

TWD is much more coherent when you stream it all at once. There were so many character changes over the years I lost track of who was who.

I thought a couple of the villains in the later seasons were deadly boring, especially those silent garbage people. I'll be interested in seeing how I feel this time around.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/17/23 10:34 AM

I read a review on The Pale Blue Eye in the AARP magazine sounds interesting...I will put it on my list Draclvr.

Gerry catrub

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/19/23 03:03 AM

Almost through Season 6 of TWD.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/19/23 11:16 AM

Good for you hagatha!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/19/23 04:22 PM

A mere 4 to get through to be at the final season 11!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/22/23 11:40 PM

Great efforts with TWD. Let me know if you think it was worth it - I dropped out a while back but am interested in how it ends.
Whilst here, finished The English and it was excellent right the way through. Also watched something called Stonehouse which might resonate more with our British friends but was one of those 'you wouldn't believe it was true' stories except that it is involving a BRitish politician and a scandal in the 70s. It was told in an almost whimsical style that really worked.
wave

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/23/23 12:59 AM

I'm in the middle of Season 7 right now and I truly wish someone would put a gag in Neegan's mouth.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/23/23 05:03 AM

Oh, yeah... you had to suffer through Neegan! It gets better and then you have to suffer through Alpha. BORING! But once you get past those a**holes, things pick up.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/23/23 11:18 PM

I still don't know why they didn't just shoot Neegan the very first time he showed up beligerently at the gate duh. Given what they had done and what they knew, it was surely the obvious play - how much worse could they have made it?
Switching tack, Last Of Us is really good yes (I haven't played the game so am not comparing stories).

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/25/23 04:33 PM

I still don't know why they didn't just shoot Neegan the very first time he showed up beligerently at the gate duh. Given what they had done and what they knew, it was surely the obvious play - how much worse could they have made it?

I know, right?

But this time through I'm really noticing the silly plot holes -- especially the food production. Where are the communities growing all that wheat for bread and those vegetables? Where's the orchard? Where are they getting milk if there aren't any cows? Hilltop is supposed to be a major food producer, but they have a few scruffy looking plants here and there and nothing more, and considering the size of the camp, there's no room for a farm.

That aside, I am enjoying it well enough. I mean, it is a show about zombies, so you have to cut them some slack.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/25/23 04:35 PM

I always laughed at the pathetic "gardens!" But like you say, it's not like the whole premise of the show isn't outrageous!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/26/23 02:26 AM

And the other thing is, they keep finding huge caches of food and other much-needed supplies, and yet instead of going directly home and stashing the stuff, they keep on driving around and end up having everything stolen. A couple of times I've found myself shouting at the TV -- "You morons -- just go home!"

The one especially egregious example is when Daryl and Rick have literally a truckload of food and medicine, and instead of going directly home they continue on, Jesus steals the truck, then they steal it back, and then while they're fighting each other the truck slides backwards into a lake. I mean, it was intentionally funny, but still...

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 01/27/23 08:26 PM

People doing dumb things is a staple in horror but like you I certainly did find myself shouting at the TV a lot.
They never seemed to listen though duh zombie

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/03/23 09:58 AM

Although it is a bit lightweight, we are rather enjoying A Person Of Interest: for the first couple of episodes it looked like a limited scope one-trick pony but it then picked up and I note that it ran for quite a few seasons from 2011 - 2016 (I think perhaps only recently becoming available in UK).

Has anyone else tried it? catrub

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/03/23 11:05 AM

I remember watching that series Lex...it was excellent. I think there were about 6 Seasons on TV in the USA.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/03/23 12:50 PM

Yes, I also remember watching that series, I liked it.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/03/23 02:52 PM

I started to watch it, then got sidetracked, and then it was no longer available. It did seem like something I might like. I might look for it on my streaming services again.

Still plowing through TWD, halfway through Season 9. It's actually better than I remember it .

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/03/23 06:31 PM

Although I have enjoyed various post-apocalyptic books, computer games and films, and although we enjoyed the first few episodes of TWD we found that zombies ran out of steam for us after that: on the strength of comments here, perhaps we should give it another try... zombie

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/03/23 07:20 PM

TWD had some Seasons that were fantastic...then some not so good. I stuck it out for the whole series and am waiting hopefully that the spin offs will be good.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/03/23 08:15 PM

TWD has some slow seasons, it's true. But on the whole, it's pretty good.

I just re-watched an episode in which someone ended up dead because they did something that no rational person would do. Everyone piles through the gate to get away from the zombie horde -- except this fool, who stays behind to fight said zombie horde instead of just going through the darned gate with everyone else and closing it! duh

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/04/23 10:11 AM

Hagatha was that when the character Jesus met his demise by the Whispers?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/04/23 02:51 PM

Yes. It was utterly ridiculous.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/04/23 06:34 PM

I'm really enjoying the new season of Mayor of Kingstown.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/08/23 09:53 AM

Just finished watching the final ever episode of the brilliant Happy Valley, so we have started again from the beginning (as we last watched that 9 years ago): still excellent stuff! thumbsup
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=happy+valley+trailer+season+1

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/08/23 03:07 PM

Lex, we loved Happy Valley. One of those sleeper shows that didn't get much attention but was truly excellent.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/08/23 05:40 PM

It was not short of attention in England, especially the final series: the fact that it was not all immediately streamed but only available at the rate of one episode per week also played to advantage in terms of anticipation and media coverage.
James Norton as a very unpleasant villain is quite a contrast with some of his other roles, in particular as a vicar in Grantchester! lol

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/08/23 09:38 PM

I'm still watching TWD, halfway through the penultimate season. It is better than I remembered it. I mean, it ain't what you'd call highbrow, but it certainly is entertaining. What was surprising to me was that the ensemble cast is strong enough that the "star" of the show was able to leave with barely a ripple. I didn't even notice that he was gone after a couple of episodes.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/09/23 12:17 AM

I'm several episodes into the final season. In a way more of the same-old/same-old, but it definitely has my interest to see how it ends.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/09/23 05:59 AM

I’ve been watching more films than TV this week - including the “already seen several times” : Misery : and : Dolores Claiborne : dramas.
Both, of course, starring the excellent Kathy Bates praise
A wonderful character actress !!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/09/23 10:08 AM

Thanks for that reminder about Kathy Bates, Mad: I don't think we have seen Dolores Claiborne and it sounds to be worth seeing! thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/10/23 08:00 AM

Well if you go for it, Lex, I hope you enjoy 🤞

Tonight I might dig out the old ‘Salem’s Lot’.
Another I’ve watched several times over the years but one which I still find “unsettling” 😱😱😱

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/11/23 06:27 AM

Is that the one with David Soul? I haven’t seen it for ages.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/11/23 07:31 AM

Yes. That very one 👍

Although last night I did an absolute about turn and watched “The King and I” instead lol

But “Salem’s Lot” IS poised for play tonight 😑

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/11/23 11:17 PM

I might have been subliminally inspired last night as I watched Donnie Darko from many years ago.
I reckon it’s been a dozen or so years since I last saw it. Frank remains as freaky as ever eek

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/12/23 10:45 AM

That’s something I’ve never seen, flotsam. Maybe It’s time to put it on my list 😬

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/15/23 02:45 PM

Watched an old BBC Period Drama (the full series on 2 discs) of The Count of Monte Cristo last night.
One of my most favourite stories 🌟🌟🌟

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/16/23 04:59 PM

Once I'm finished with TWD I'm going to watch the last season of You, I think. It's like American Psycho for the Instagram generation.

On my list still to watch are the last season of Better Call Saul, which will require a re-watch of the whole series), the last season of Peaky Blinders, and the newest season of Narcos.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/17/23 02:44 AM

I recently mentioned The English, and was having a subsequent discussion with myself about whether it made it into my Top 5 of single season dramas. Which kind of brings us full circle back to Mare of Eastown.
As I write, (anthology seasons count, and I have no doubt I have forgotten some worthy possibilities) I reckon my list might be Giri/Hadji, Godless, Zero Zero Zero, True Detective (the first season) and The Night Of. Mare of Eastown, The English and The Little Drummer Girl would be pressing their nose against the window demanding entry. The Terror (the first season) might be as well.
I really like the contained nature of single seasons. Tell a story, finish it, and move on.
What others demand consideration?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/17/23 03:06 AM

I love the Haunting of Hill House and the Haunting of Bly Manor, and Midnight Mass, each one a complete story and all of them vey good.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/17/23 04:52 AM

Good points hagatha yes
I wasn’t as taken with Bly Manor as the other two but Mr Flanagan does do this stuff well.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/17/23 12:34 PM

I loved all three hagatha, I think Midnight Mass the best.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/18/23 01:28 AM

i liked Hill House and Bly Manor. Sounds like I need to checkout Midnight Mass. thanks

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/18/23 02:14 AM

It’s a good watch SQF thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/18/23 02:33 AM

Midnight Mass is pretty creepy. It's very good.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/18/23 04:05 PM

I'm now hooked on the Yellowstone spinoff 1923. What a great cast.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/18/23 07:33 PM

Mad; Salem's Lot is a really good movie, I have it on DVD.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/18/23 11:34 PM

Yes. Mine is the DVD version, too, Judith.
In fact most of my favourite films are DVD versions because I don’t “subscribe” to anywhere for any.
I just pay my BBC costs and buy anything else myself 😑

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/19/23 09:53 AM

I'm with flotsam on rating the first series of True Detective very highly, also on disliking some of the shows which seem to be stretched to more than one season without good purpose.
One of my all time favourites series was the Sarah Connor Chronicles, an excellent expansion of the themes in Terminator, I was also keen on the Hannibal series (although it needs quite a strong stomach!), and on a lighter note Justified. catrub

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/19/23 07:26 PM

Justified is in my top 10 of all time, I think. Timothy Olyphant defined the role so well that Elmore Leonard's next book changed the character to suit Olyphant's interpretation. High praise, indeed!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/21/23 08:53 AM

Justified was an excellent series. I would recommend "Line of Duty" to anyone who has not watched the series...extremely engrossing with lots of twists and turns and surprises! It is a BBC series that ran for 6 seasons and there is to be a 7th.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/21/23 03:01 PM

Justified was one of my top 10 too. I didn't know that about Timothy Olyphant, but high praise indeed!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/21/23 03:21 PM

I finished TWD last night, and thought the ending was pretty good, tying up some things but also keeping the door open for the Further Adventures Of... TWD series that will be starting soon. The complete change of pace and focus was much appreciated after the rinse-and-repeat seasons later in the series, and the
new Walker variants are intriguing

Since the final season of You popped up on my screen immediately following the TWD finale, I think I'll watch that next.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/21/23 03:25 PM

I think I'm getting close to the last episode of TWD. They seem to be tying up loose ends and eliminating bad guys. Trying not to blaze through it too fast!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/22/23 02:40 AM

I'm watching Season 4 of You, which I understand is the last season.

I like the new premise; Joe is trying to clean up his act and have a trouble-free life. But of course, the best laid plans and all...especially if you're a charming but obsessive psychopath.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/22/23 05:11 AM

I too enjoyed Sarah Connor Chronicles Lex. Ditto Justified. I remember first seeing Timothy Olipahnt in an early season of Damages (another series that should have stopped before it did).
I didn't know that about Elmore Leonard hagatha but can't imagine a better portrayed Raylan Givens.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/23/23 02:58 PM

While waiting for the second half of You to drop in March, I decided to try The Watcher. I'm not all that impressed. In spite of all the mystery and action I find myself a bit bored by it all.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/23/23 11:27 PM

Watching Outer Banks season three on Netflix.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/25/23 11:06 AM

I'm re-watching Sanditon Seasons 1 and 2 in preparation for the new Season 3 coming on PBS March 19th. If you haven't seen it the series is based on the unfinished novel by Jane Austin...it is really good.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/26/23 03:57 AM

I decided to watch The Lincoln Lawyer. So far it seems to be following the book very closely. It's pretty good.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/26/23 04:23 AM

Just watched the series ending of TWD. Exactly the right ending, but I still cried. We know Rick is alive somewhere and assume Michonne is too, so SURELY there will be a sequel! I'm ready, so bring it on!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/26/23 05:29 PM

Hagatha; I have movie the Lincoln Lawyer on DVD. It's a really good movie.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 02/27/23 12:50 AM

The movie certainly has good reviews.

I'm reading Connelly's Renee Ballard books right now, and they're not bad, either.

The Last Kingdom was recommended to me and so I'm well into Season 1. It's good fun.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/02/23 03:52 PM

I'm totally obsessed with "The Last of Us." Great acting... can't believe I never played the video game!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/02/23 09:43 PM

The Last of Us is on my list -- waiting for the entire season to be available.

I was also wondering about the game. I should take a closer look.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/03/23 12:26 AM

I'm really looking foward to a new Luther movie coming to Netflix next week. smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/03/23 02:13 AM

I love Luther!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/03/23 05:04 AM

Just finished all 7 seasons of The West Wing yesterday, and started on The Last Of Us this morning.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/03/23 01:43 PM

I'm watching La Brea.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/05/23 01:05 PM

I love Luther!

Luther is one of my all time favorites. smile

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/06/23 09:53 AM

Is anyone watching the final season of the Black List that started last week? I have been watching it since the first season with all the twists and turns and confusing and conflicting ideas as to who "Red" really is. I wonder how they will end it all.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/09/23 03:25 AM

I watched the first few seasons of Blacklist and then stopped for a while and lost the plot. I liked it well enough and may re-watch it through at some point.

I have to say that The Last Kingdom is absolutely wonderful. I'm about to start the last season and wish there were ten more.

EDIT: I see that Netflix has produced a Last Kingdom movie to cover the events in the last two books, which were not covered in the series. It will be dropping in a couple of weeks, apparently. I'm thrilled.

EDIT: My final verdict on The Last Kingdom is that it is great fun and well worth watching. I suspect it will be one of those shows I go back to a few times for a re-watch.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/12/23 01:18 PM

Hi hagatha,

I just wanted to let you know that the Netflix Luther movie Fallen Sun was very good. I'm also a big fan of The Last Kingdom and can't wait for the new movie Seven Kings Must Die that comes out on April 14th. happydance

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/12/23 08:06 PM

Right now I'm watching the last episodes of You, which I love, and I think Luther will be up next for a one-evening watch.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/13/23 09:58 AM

I loved the all the seasons of Luther and hopefully will get to see the movie that picks up where the series ended.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/13/23 03:03 PM

I decided to watch all of the season of Luther before checking out the movie, but Amazon only has the first three seasons. Maybe I'll wait and see if they add the other two .

I've started to re-watch Better Call Saul instead. I'd forgotten how funny it is.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/13/23 05:03 PM

Kaki's Sister; I've been watching the Black List since it first started. It's kind of sad that it's ending. I'm also anxious to find out who Red really is.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/13/23 05:14 PM

Sad for the season of The Last of Us to have ended last night. Does anyone know if there will more more or is this it?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/14/23 12:41 AM

Sad for the season of The Last of Us to have ended last night. Does anyone know if there will more more or is this it?

They have announced that there will be a season two but they have not given a release date yet.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/14/23 02:50 AM

Thank you, Space Quest! I'm glad to hear it.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/14/23 08:42 AM

Judith, it will be interesting to see how they end The Black List...if Red lives...and what will become of Elizabeth's daughter.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/16/23 11:47 PM

My second watching of Better Call Saul has me far less sympathetic to Jimmy than I was the first time I watched it. This time around I agree with Chuck all the way.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/17/23 12:36 AM

I'm watching the second season of Shadow and Bone on Netflix and I'm only two epsodes in but it is good.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/26/23 04:45 PM

I really enjoyed The Night Agent on Netflix.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 03/27/23 04:42 AM

I'm giving Shadow and Bone a try while I wait for the last season of Better Call Saul to drop. It's actually a lot of fun. It's YA, but older YA. Good light entertainment.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/02/23 03:06 PM

I just finished watching The Stranger, which was pretty good, and before it I watched Stay Close. I thought The Stranger was very good, indeed, with a great cast of actors and a few nice twists.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/09/23 09:33 PM

I liked The Stranger too hagatha. Have you watched Lupin on Netflix?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/09/23 10:02 PM

Am almost home again and can’t wait to watch the rest of Last of Us. I intend to binge it from the start.
I think there is a new season of Yellowjackets too which will come after wave
I did watch Lupin SQF and it was a lot of fun.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/09/23 10:24 PM

I haven't watched Lupin, but it's on my list.

Okay, so I'm starting Lupin tonight.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/10/23 08:14 AM

Been watching Season 3 of Sanditon and Season 1 of Marie Antoinette on PBS...enjoying them both.

Gerry catrub

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/12/23 08:58 AM

Getting quite hooked on a rather unusual police series Blue Lights on BBC, which I imagine will makes its way onto other streaming services in due course, an interesting balance of humour and gritty reality https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14466018/ thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/12/23 09:15 AM

Lex did you ever watch the British series "Line of Duty". It was excellent...I highly recommend it.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/12/23 04:10 PM

We certainly did Gerry: addictive stuff! thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/14/23 02:45 AM

While packing up my DVDs I came across my set of Prime Suspect DVDs. Now that was a great series. I might watch it again soon.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/15/23 10:51 PM

Will be interested to hear how it stands up today hagatha. Was certainly top notch in its day yes

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/16/23 01:32 AM

We watched it about ten years ago. The first seasons are really poor quality video, natch. Helen Mirren is fabulous in it, of course.

EDIT: I must say that Lupin is very entertaining. I hear that a third year has been announced.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/16/23 09:14 AM

I enjoyed Prime Suspect too hagatha...Helen Mirren was her usual best! I can rent it from our local library on DVD...it is still good quality recording. "Line of Duty" is another excellent British detective series well worth watching.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/16/23 01:58 PM

🎬
We are currently enjoying The Night Agent on Netflix after finishing Ozark shocked

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/16/23 03:39 PM

I just finished Lupin and have the Last Kingdom movie set up for tonight's watching.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/17/23 11:33 AM

Watching The Power on Prime, not sure what I think of it yet.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/17/23 04:05 PM

I was a bit disappointed in The Last Kingdom: Seven Kings Must Die. It does close off the story perfectly, and it was wonderful to see the characters again, but it really should have been an 8-episode season rather than a movie. It crammed too much into two hours and the whole thing felt rushed.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/18/23 02:00 AM

Just finishing bingeing Last Of Us. I thought it was excellent, and if it ended there I wouldn't be disappointed.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/18/23 01:59 PM

I've got Beef set up as my next watch. How can I resist, when the preview picture is of a woman in a Louis Vuitton body bag?

Then the last part of Saul should be arriving, and after that it's on to the The Last of Us.

EDIT: I'm halfway through Saul season 6. Great writing!

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/26/23 04:06 AM

Just finished season 5 of NYPD Blue. Got 7 more seasons to go.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/26/23 09:10 AM

That was a great series, and naturally Hill Street Blues must be next on your menu Uncle Reg! thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/26/23 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lex
That was a great series, and naturally Hill Street Blues must be next on your menu Uncle Reg! thumbsup

Yes, it probably will be. Both series are available on Amazon Prime that I get on my Fire Stick.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/29/23 07:56 AM

Started watching an old BBC series called MI 5. Pretty good...ready to start Season 6. sherlock Anybody ever watched it?

Gerry catrub

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/30/23 01:04 AM

I think MI5 was called Spooks down here, and it was very good indeed. Watched it all the way through. One of those items we rushed to the DVD shop to get as soon as a new series was released as availability was limited pre-streaming.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/30/23 05:24 AM

I remember MI5. I also watched it all the way through. Very good show. One of the things I remember

is that lots of characters left or got killed off, being replaced with new characters. I think the only one that made it all the way through from the beginning to the end was the little bald headed guy who was the boss.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/30/23 08:00 AM

Flotsam and Uncle Reg, I am watching Season 6 of MI5 right now and intend to watch every episode. It gets better and better. I am able to rent it on DVD from the library.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 04/30/23 05:27 PM

Three episodes into Rabbit Hole and so far it is very good. I loved Ghosted on Apple TV too.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/01/23 07:37 AM

I saw previews to Rabbit Hole, but I can't get it. Looks really good. Hopefully it will be available on DVD after the first Season.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/01/23 10:58 PM

I have seen Rabbit Hole pop up on one of the services so will check it out thumbsup

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/03/23 05:03 AM

I finished To the Lake last night, a Russian Netflix production. It was pretty good, sort of like The Walking Dead only with no zombies. I would watch Season 2 whenever it comes out.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/03/23 07:48 AM

That sounds interesting hagatha...I loved the Walking Dead. They are supposed to have spin offs of The Walking Dead...have you heard anything about them?

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/04/23 04:50 AM

The two that are going ahead are the one about Daryl in Paris, and the Neegan and Maggie one. Also, there will be a limited series about Michonne and Rick. I think they're all supposed to start next year.

I also watched Squid Game. Now that was amazing TV. The first episode left me a bit cold but once it got going...whew! There's going to be a season 2 as well.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/04/23 09:28 AM

Hagatha, let me know if you hear any more. "Fear the Walking Dead" will be back with a new season May 14th.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/06/23 09:29 AM

Dalgleish is back for another series: a particularly good show in our view https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13430420/

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/07/23 03:16 AM

I needed something light-hearted and different, so I settled on a Korean fantasy series called Alchemy of the Souls. It's colourful, silly and engaging, with lots of sword-fighting and magic and fighting with magic swords. There is enough of a dark underbelly to it to keep it from being completely powderpuff. Anyway, it's a nice diversion for a couple of weeks.

Lex I used to read the Dalgleish books, once upon a time. I can't find the show streaming anywhere, though.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/07/23 03:52 AM

re: Dalgleish is back for another series Yipee, thanks for the heads up Lex, I have been waiting for season 2 to start, loved the 1st season.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/07/23 08:39 AM

I have that on my list Lex.

Gerry catrub

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/07/23 02:42 PM

Lex I used to read the Dalgleish books, once upon a time. I can't find the show streaming anywhere, though.

Dalgleish is on Acorn TV.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/07/23 03:34 PM

Just started watching The Diplomat on Netflix... so far, it's VERY good! Kerri Russel does a dynamite job of being a reluctant ambassador to the UK.

Re: What are You Watching? (Formerly Mare of Easttown) - 05/07/23 04:16 PM

Hey everyone! Since this thread was getting a bit long, there is a shiny new one here!

See you there!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community