GB HOMEPAGE

Something funny

Posted By: butterflybabe

Something funny - 12/15/21 06:22 PM

While catching up on posts, I read thru family's recipe conversation, and have a funny memory to share.

My mother-in-law (Agnes) was definitely into baking from scratch. In fact, she had two stoves, one on top of the other. When my ex was young, until the police told her it was illegal, she earned money by baking for either a bakery or restaurant that was nearby. Early in my marriage, if my ex and I went there for breakfast, it was typical for her to take out her waffle maker and whip up the ingredients for fresh waffles within minutes. Years later, we were dining out with Agnes (who was then in her mid 80s) and my sister-in-law, Mary, who was visiting from Kentucky. Mary informed us that that morning when she suggested waffles for breakfast, instead of taking out the waffle maker, Agnes went straight to the freezer and took out a package of Eggos, and put them into the toaster. We laughed, but it was a sign that things were changing.

yes
Posted By: Marian

Re: Something funny - 12/16/21 12:17 AM

Cute story, butterflybabe! It brought a smile to my face. wave
Posted By: Starcom

Re: Something funny - 12/16/21 05:56 AM

Good story butterflybabe! and OH So True about Times they are a changing, thanks for sharing your story.
And Wow, 2 stoves one on top of the other scared
Posted By: Lex

Re: Something funny - 12/16/21 09:26 AM

Great story bb - thanks for sharing! thumbsup lol
Posted By: butterflybabe

Re: Something funny - 12/17/21 06:42 PM

You're welcome! Glad it tickled your funny bone!

Starcom, one of the stoves was actually a confectionary oven, for the items she baked until she was forced to stop. I had never seen two stoves like that either. If I remember correctly, been years since I was in that kitchen, but the burner section was separate, next to the ovens. Her cooking area was laid out in a 'U' or 'C' shape; open counter, sink, open counter, burner, stoves. Early in our relationship, when we were still dating, and I was still getting to know his Mom, I asked about the stoves, and that's when I learned their purpose. When she could no longer earn extra cash that way, she turned to selling Avon, which she did for 47 years she had a stroke.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Something funny - 12/17/21 07:15 PM

Home made to freezer Eggos! Wonder if I'll ever get to that point! LOL!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community