GB HOMEPAGE

Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher

Posted By: family

Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/01/22 11:24 PM

my hubby is upset about the things we are putting in the dishwasher. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r18KzwbvKJ0, and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_RgHkuYMKU cool wave blackkitty catrub lab puppy cat kitty burger wavegirl angel bedtime
Posted By: Marian

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/01/22 11:32 PM

I don't have a dishwasher so I don't have to worry about this. wave
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/01/22 11:48 PM

Me neither and looking at those videos a dishwasher looks like more work to me!

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/01/22 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by oldbroad
Me neither and looking at those videos a dishwasher looks like more work to me!

And here I was thinking that I was probably the only one here without a dishwasher!
Posted By: connie

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/02/22 12:04 AM

I also don't have a dishwasher. I'm the dishwasher. lol

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/02/22 12:11 AM

I'm lazy now but as a kid with 5 siblings, I volunteered for the extra night of dish washing because I actually liked it. As a teen, I spent some time making good money washing dishes at a banquet hall. I only have my own dishes to wash now but still would not care for a dish washer.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/02/22 12:44 AM

I put EVERYTHING in my dishwasher! What doesn't your hubby like you putting in yours? When I have company and am cooking a lot, I might run mine 3 times a day! But normally it's just once.

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/02/22 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by connie
I also don't have a dishwasher. I'm the dishwasher. lol

Welcome to our little group, Connie! grin hug

Oldbroad, that's a lot of siblings. smile
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/02/22 12:56 AM

I put everything in mine too. But I always rinse them first and run the washer about once a week.

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/02/22 01:18 AM

Since we are both retired and are home all day, we generate a lot of dishes!

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/02/22 01:51 AM

wooden spoons, and sharp knifes, and his skillet for eggs.

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/02/22 01:54 AM

I put my wooden spoons in my dishwasher all the time. Same with sharp knives - you just have to be careful with them. Now, that skillet! I might not want my skillet for eggs in the dishwasher either!

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/02/22 02:21 AM

Those videos say NOT to rinse the dishes first. I can't see that. I think all that food would just jam everything up. For the last couple of years (since I had a clogged pipe) I clean all my dishes with paper towels real good before washing them. My brother thinks I'm crazy, saying I don't even need to bother washing them then. I feel like if the food or sauces stick on my plate, they also stick in my grease trap and pipes. I wish I had been this careful since we moved in here. Marian, unfortunately I'm down to only two left.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/02/22 02:45 AM

I agree with Drac. I have never put skillets in the dishwasher. I have put glass lids for them in the dishwasher though.

oldbroad, after many plumbing issues our plumber told us to use our napkins to wipe all plates before rinsing in sink. It has worked very well for us too!

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/02/22 03:55 AM

I had to get a new dishwasher last year. It is in another class by itself for getting my dishes clean. Any food bits do not jam anything up as it has a small grinder in it. I do rinse very lightly but that's it. I am on a septic tank out here in the country and I am very careful about what I put down my drains. In just shy of 30 years, I've never had any issues. When I clean out the sink and run the disposal, I use super hot water and soap. After I turn the disposal off, I run hot water for at least 2 minutes to chase everything all the way to the septic tank.
Posted By: hagatha

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/02/22 04:49 AM

We also run our dishwasher a couple of times a day. The only things I won't put in mine are my German knives and my espresso pot.
Posted By: Lex

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/02/22 09:06 AM

Most of our stuff goes in our pretty ancient dishwasher and we run it at the end of the day: wooden spoons seem fine, but also benefit from being placed on a radiator (or somewhere else warm) to dry out thoroughly.

On the other hand when we had a larger household with children still at home, washing up by hand was a pretty quick and sociable process, faster and more thorough than a dishwasher (although no doubt the technology has improved since then)

As for how to load it, once upon a time there was something called common sense, but unfortunately that seems to have become an endangered species... catrub
Posted By: connie

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/02/22 01:04 PM

I agree with you about common sense Lex. smile

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/02/22 03:15 PM

Same here... loading a dishwasher - along with everything else - is just a matter of common sense.

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/02/22 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by oldbroad
Marian, unfortunately I'm down to only two left.

I am sorry to hear that. hug

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/02/22 06:07 PM

Thanks Marian hug.

Let's get back to family. Are you going to stop putting the egg skillet in the dishwasher? Do you rinse first?

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/02/22 08:38 PM

yes i rinse, my sister was going put his egg skillet in the dishwasher, janice our teacher, been putting the sharp knives and wooden spoons in the dishwasher, he thinks that will tear them up.

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/02/22 08:44 PM

My wooden spoons are not torn up after 20 years, so that's not a problem. Sharp knives is just a matter of putting the pointy end down and being careful. But, nope to the egg skillet!
Posted By: LadyKestrel

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/02/22 11:09 PM

A dishwasher actually uses less water than washing the same number of items by hand. I scrape my dishes and wipe off anything with fatty residue (gravy, ice cream, oil, etc.) but don't bother to rinse. I put wooden spoons and large knives on the top rack. I wouldn't put a cast iron skillet in the dishwasher, but my stainless steel one cleans up fine. (With egg that has stuck to it, I just soak it first, scrape it with a brush, and pop it in with everything else.) With just my sister and myself, I usually run the dishwasher every other day.
Posted By: mbday630

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/02/22 11:55 PM

I put everything in my dishwasher. And I don't rinse. unless it is really stuck on stuff, I try to get off first. but, pots, pans and spoons, knives.... everything. sometimes if they don't come out clean, I will use a scrubby on them and put them in again. My dishwasher has a garbage disposal/chopper built in and so I don't have to pre-rinse. I don't put in big items like bones in there, but, I don't rinse. Everything works fine and no work. I like that part. I was raised with 5 other siblings and my parents and it was my job to help wash dishes at night - while my brothers got to watch tv and I hated that. Of course, they had just spent an hour in the barn, so it was their turn to relax, but, to me it was so unfair. so, to this day I hate washing dishes!
Posted By: Reenie

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/08/22 09:58 PM

We don't have a dish washer, either. When ours gave up the ghost about 15 years ago, we replaced it with a wine cooler that has racks for two cases of wine These coolers are designed to fit right into the space meant for a dishwasher. We don't generate enough dirty dishes (there are just the two of us now) to need a dish washer, anyway, and love having the various wines kept just at the right temp.

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/08/22 10:07 PM

There you go! Something much more useful! laugh I'm not a wine drinker though.

Re: Things You Should Never Put in the Dishwasher - 03/08/22 11:21 PM

Excellent replacement, Reenie!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community