GB HOMEPAGE

Mass Effect problems

Posted By: mcc

Mass Effect problems - 07/28/08 02:11 PM

I got the game, installed it and doesn't start. I sent a question to the support, they told me to update drivers, reinstall Directx files and if this didn't work to run dxdiag and send them the results. I did everything, even when I had done all the updates before installing the game. No more news, no more answers from them. Has anyone encountered problems also?

They also told me to install the latest patch but apparently no one is available. think
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/28/08 02:15 PM

Mcc, I bet the techies over at Glitches would have some advice for you. You'd need to post some info about your computer though-OS, etc.

I can transfer this thread or you can start a new one. Let me know wave

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/28/08 03:37 PM

Thank you looneylabs,

I'll post another so I can give more information, like the message I have when trying to start the game
Posted By: Karsten

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/28/08 03:55 PM

There's a self forum for tech problems over at the Bioware website that may be able to help you...

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/29/08 09:43 PM

Thank you all!

I decided to get a new games pc, then I hope this game installs without problems. It is disappointing though that they didn't come back with an explanation. I read other people had problems also and were expecting a patch but up to now nothing.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/29/08 10:35 PM

luck

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/30/08 03:23 PM

Just wanted to let you know that the Bring Down the Sky DLC now is available from this place:

http://masseffect.bioware.com/galacticcodex/bringdownthesky_pc.html

Please note that this also contains patch 1.01. for the game.

There seem to have been reports about some textures and sounds not working, though, after installing this DLC...

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/30/08 05:53 PM

Thank you Karsten,

I will download it and try if with this patch the game starts, while I decide which pc to buy think , not easy.

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/30/08 06:01 PM

If you only want the patch it seems to be out at filefront.com

Still don't know if this is able to help you, though.

Please also note that you have to activate over the net: this mean you need to be connected to the internet the very first time you start it.

You can try to start the game from the game's .exe file not the launcher on your desktop...

Posted By: croaker

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/30/08 06:06 PM

I played through Bring Down the Sky last night.

I don't know whether it was the included patch or BDtS, but it had the side effect of tossing all my game configuration settings -- for example, video resolution and key bindings.

It also had audio problems. I was unable to figure out how to reduce the background noise of the MAKO or some of the rooms. Both were so loud that if I hadn't had on subtitles, I wouldn't have even known that someone was saying something much of the time, let alone what it was they were saying.

This add-on mission was much more interesting than the usual optional side tasks on mostly unexplored worlds found in the rest of Mass Effect. Also, I'd be interested in the main choice you make near the end and what the results were.

In my play through,
Click to reveal..
I chose to call the head bad guy's "bluff" of killing his prisoners and not let him walk. I figured that if I let him walk, there was a good chance that he'd trigger the explosion anyway.

He triggered the explosive without hesitation, and the prisoners were no more.

I ended up having to explain the results of my choice in the end to the surviving administrator and he clearly wasn't happy about it.

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/30/08 06:33 PM

In this thread

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=643333&forum=127

there's solutions for those of you that does experience problems with the Bring Down the Sky DLC.

Also, there's a solution for those who have Vista where the game refuses to belive it's connected to the internet (even when you're connected to the internet).

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/30/08 07:35 PM

New Patch installed, same thing.
One of the problems is that it has a limited number of installations and then I don't want to reinstall it, I hope it will play well once I have a new computer.

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/30/08 08:24 PM

Sad to hear that, mcc frown

However, you do not have a limited number of installations. You do have limited number of activations. You can install the game as many times as you want - if you have not changed a single thing on or in your computer.

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/31/08 04:16 PM

Well Karsten, I updated the drivers as instructed, don't know if that counts as changing something. Do you know when you activate the game or is it automatic? in my case it never started but I don't know if it was activated when imputing the key.
Posted By: nickie

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/31/08 05:12 PM

As previously suggested, this would be best handled in the glitches forum where we have excellent staff to help you out.

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/31/08 05:40 PM

Thank you Nickie!

I found this forum

mass effect forum

and apparently several people have the same problem, the message it gives me is identical to the one given to mkeller23

I have un installed and reinstalled the game, same result. insane
Posted By: Demosthenes

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/31/08 06:15 PM

mcc, what video card is installed in your current computer?

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/31/08 06:32 PM

Demosthenes,
Ati Radeon x850, but every other single game plays without problem, I cannot really put a better one apparently because "it would fry the motherboard", they told me in Circuit City. I have 3G, memory. According to that forum people get the same message even with new computers, I plan to buy a new one immediately I decide on one.

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/31/08 06:45 PM

As you are used to ATI cards, please look into getting a Sapphire ATI RADEON HD3650. I think MAD has one?; she is happy with it. I don't know if you would need a new powe supply, though?

According to this thread at the bioware forums

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=626379&forum=125

your x850 is under the min system specs - sorry frown

You can try fiddling around in the config utility setting everything to low... and see if it will play...

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/31/08 06:56 PM

The Radeon x850 doesn't support Pixel Shader 3.0, so it won't work for Mass Effect (or a lot of other recent games). At the very least, you'll need a new video card.

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/31/08 07:12 PM

If there is one card I could use I would like to buy it, I have done a lot of upgrades and this pc is running very well for most things, for example The Witcher played without any problems and it would be good to have it as spare. I have an AGP in a Dimension XPS but apparently there is more than one type, I certainly would not want to fry my motherboard.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/31/08 08:03 PM

What is the model number of your computer?
Do you know the wattage if its power supply?

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/31/08 10:09 PM

Jenny100,
These are the data I have without opening the pc, tomorrow I can open it: Dimension XPS Gen 2 Series, Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 3.2 GHz with HT Technology, 981RW31.
The AGP is x8.
There is an ATI VisionTek HD2400 PRO 256MB Graphics Card, but the people in Cicuit City advised me against installing it because it could fry the motherboard.

To know the wattage I need to open the pc because I don't see the information in the papers.

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/31/08 10:44 PM

Whether the 2400HD will fry your motherboard is actually irrelevant: according to the minimum requirements posted on the Mass Effect forums, "X1550, X1600 Pro and HD2400 are below minimum system requirements."

I'm still working on everything else, though. In theory you should be able to play Mass Effect on that computer, assuming it has enough RAM and a powerful enough power supply to power an appropriate video card. Unfortunately I haven't found detailed specs on the AGP slot yet...
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/31/08 10:46 PM

The service tag returns a 460 watt PSU -
Dell™ Dimension™ XPS Service Manual - Tag:981RW31

Try an ATI HD-3850 - they have them with an AGP interface.

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/31/08 10:52 PM

Inland beat me to it.
You could get either the HD3850 or the HD3650.
I have no idea why the people at Circuit City thought the HD2400 would "fry your motherboard," but I wouldn't recommend the HD2400 for the games you want to play. Check what's available at Newegg.com

Re: Mass Effect problems - 07/31/08 11:09 PM

Thank you all,

I'll try to get the HD3850 or the HD3650 that you recommend. I know I need a new computer, I have been delaying it because of a couple things - price for the top of the line, Vista that doesn't seem to be very good and the uncertainty with motherboards with DDR2 and DDR3, I like to buy these computers to last long time and be fully upgradeable.

Today, Friday, I ordered the ATI HD-3850, I let you know the result after I install it.

I received and installed the card, the game has started. thanks

Re: Mass Effect problems - 08/12/08 10:55 PM

Here I am again!

The game played with great graphics in the Normady and Citadel, but on the surface of Therum, those black patches appeared, the biggest problem is that I drive blindly on those patches and fall in the lava, I progressed inch by inch saving constantly to the refinery, there I had good graphics again but when I left the same problem, at this time the problem is even worse because the game doesn't allow saves for a long long stretch, I tried to get a code to make Mako invincible or that would allow me to save even when in combat, that I am not even in combat for long distances, I found every kind of codes but no those.
I have tried changing the video settings, everything looks bad and doesn't solve the black parts. I have 3 G RAM and a recommended sound card. Any ideas?

hardwall

Re: Mass Effect problems - 08/12/08 11:10 PM

Have you tried changing your video drivers?

Re: Mass Effect problems - 08/13/08 12:05 AM

Yes Jenny, I have the latest ATI, and I installed it again in case it was corrupted.

This problem only appears on the terrain, anywhere else the graphics are great and running very smoothly, no jumps or bad texture. I can see enemies and the blue points and balls even on that blackened parts.

I put texture detail in low and play without shadows but the same happens.

It seems to happen to other people as well, texture problems , the support people for this game don't seem to be very supportive.

Re: Mass Effect problems - 08/13/08 03:43 PM

Did you install the patch and the dlc, mcc?

If you did, please do this

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=643333&forum=127

The first solution deals with missing textures on Therum.

If you have a repair option, clicking on this option in your ME config utility may (or may not) fix this. Deleting the file mentioned in the link will fix it.

As for the support, I agree the EA support is very lacking, but I have seen a Bioware game supported as much as MEP has been. (well, myabe NWN1). Bioware's QA as well as Technical Producers and a few have really been helpfull in fixing problems - together with the community.

The more info on problems the Bioware team on MEPC get, the better they can fix these problems...

Re: Mass Effect problems - 08/13/08 05:25 PM

Thank you Karsten!

I did install the patch, I'll go to the link.

I have the Repair option and I tried it but didn't fix the problem.

I tried Repair again and this time it did fix it. yay

I though the lava patches were very small, I am shocked how big they are and that I had manage to avoid several.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community