GB HOMEPAGE

Everlight Installation problems - Help!

Posted By: pdbugdoodle

Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/10/08 10:41 AM

Please Help me! smashpc

I just got my copy of Everlight and I can’t get it to install. I don’t have auto play, so I install by opening their disc and I don’t usually have a problem (even though I do have Vista). However this time I am having problems from the word "Go". Once I click their windows installer package it takes me to a “Welcome” page/sheet where you select “Next” to continue with the install & here it almost instantly pops back with a fatal error. I tried it with & without the firewall, no change. I tried their other installer program with same result. I used their hyper-link to their readme file and this is all that was there (which perplexes me because I have Direct X 10):
Quote:

Version 1.1
Error: DirectX 9.0c April 2006 required
If you see the error message "DirectX 9.0c April 2006 required" when starting the game, please install the copy of DirectX supplied with the game. You will find the installation program in the appropriate subdirectory on the DVD.

Does this mean I need to downgrade to Direct X 9c to get this game to work?

Here is the Direct X files basic info on my computer:
Quote:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/9/2008, 22:40:15
Machine name: PD-PC
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080425-1930)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ACER
System Model: Aspire M5630
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 1209MB used, 5164MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x94C3)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94C3&SUBSYS_E400174B&REV_00
Display Memory: 1396 MB
Dedicated Memory: 116 MB
Shared Memory: 1279 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (70Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: atidxx32.dll,atidxx64,atiumdag.dll,atiumdva.dat,atiumd64,atiumd6a,atitmm64
Driver Version: 7.15.0010.0127 (English)
DDI Version: 10
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 7/4/2008 03:27:12, 1626624 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-D783-11CF-AE76-0AC4A1C2CA35}
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x94C3
SubSys ID: 0xE400174B
Revision ID: 0x0000
Revision ID: 0x0000

Thank you very much, I‘d be grateful for any help you can give. Please let me know if you need any further information I might’ve left out.

Thanks,
pd catrub
Posted By: misslilo

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/10/08 11:48 AM

No, it just means your version needs a few files from the DirectX9 - it's safe to install. smile

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/10/08 11:58 AM

Misslilo,

My trouble is I can't get it to install at all! It pots out right away. Do you know which DirectX9 files I need to download and where I might find them?

Thanks,
pd catrub
Posted By: Cathy1

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/10/08 12:04 PM

Install the direct x 9.0c files that you see when your in the direct x folder(explore) along with the exe game file. You don't have to downgrade anything. It will overright the dx files needed for the game to play. It won't effect your dx 10 files at all.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/10/08 12:43 PM

Cathy1,

Thank you, I tried your suggestion and it did what you said it would, however it didn't fix my problem because I don't think/know if my problem is Direct X related.

I get this message as soon as I hit "Next" to continue installation: Fatal Error - Installation ended prematurely because of an error. It doesn't say what kind of an error, just that it was fatal and premature. Any ideas about what it might be & what to do would be great. Thank you,

pd catrub
Posted By: Cathy1

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/10/08 01:16 PM

Have you emailed the company to see if they have an answer for you? I don't have Vista or Everlight. Have you cleaned out your registry since you had the NON installation ? Are all the background programs turned off before you try to install the game ? Like antivirus. That's all I can think of right now.
Cathy wave
Posted By: Bonniesan

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/10/08 01:31 PM

I am having the exact same problem. Tried copying the disk to desktop and installing from there...no go. The forums at the German website are full of installation problems. There is a German patch, but it won't install either since it detects that the game isn't installed yet (I'm not even really sure what the patch is for anyway, but I wanted to try everything I could). Hopefully they will fix this with an English patch, but I don't know what else to do.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/10/08 02:59 PM

Must be something to do with Vista. It's installing on my old computer with XP. Haven't tried playing it yet though.
Posted By: Robert Gault

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/10/08 03:12 PM

If the game is not "Vista ready", set the installation program and the game itself to use compatibility with an older OS, WinXP or Win98SE.
Posted By: GBC

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/10/08 03:23 PM

pdbugdoodle, I just received Everlight . I am running Windows Vista Home Premium. I just installed Everlight with absolutely no problems at all. The game evidently is "Vista Ready" so I don't think that is your problem.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/10/08 03:30 PM

Cathy1,
Yes, I shut down all other programs and turned off my firewall before I tried to install but I don't know anything about my registry. How do I clean that out?

Also, I've just started looking at Adventure Companies support page (they are the distributors for the English version of the game) to see about contacting tech support & the 1st thing I notice is that their listed specs don't show the range I was quoted on the CPU as 2.0 GHz required 2.6 GHz suggested...they only show 2.6 GHz as required. My CPU is 2.2 GHz could this be my problem? All the documentation with the software shows the range. What do you think?

Thanks,
pd catrub

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/10/08 03:57 PM

Wow, Thanks for all the responses and suggestions! GBC - What is your CPU speed? Bonniesan glad your other computer works with it...my other computer is in the shop...but its CPU GHz is 1.7 so I might just be out of luck...I hope not it really looks like a neat game (I ordered it months ago) and my computer more than meets the listed requirements! frown I haven't given up yet. Any more ideas?

Thanks,
pd catrub
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/10/08 04:40 PM

Pdbugdoodle,
Even if the game required a Pentium 4 with a 2.6 GHz processor, that's for a Pentium 4. If your Vista computer is anything close to new, it will have a Core 2 Duo processor, which is much faster than a Pentium 4. So a 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo is much faster than a 2.6 GHz Pentium 4 and that would not be the problem.

If the game won't even install, I'm suspecting a bad CD. But try changing compatibility mode on the installer before running it (as Robert Gault recommended).
Posted By: escakacs

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/10/08 05:40 PM

It installed fine on my Vista computer too! the disc is needed to play though!
Posted By: catsmom

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/10/08 06:07 PM

I have autoplay on my Vista and it just installed.I did have to install the dx9. And the game runs fine.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/10/08 08:41 PM

Mine installed on XP and then crashed after selecting "new game". Possibly some of the disks are bad???

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/10/08 10:20 PM

It may be that some background program is causing a conflict. Besides the usual suspects, some games seem to be having trouble with the Sonic software that is installed on Dell computers.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/11/08 01:54 AM

Thanks to everyone (catsmom, escakacs, Jill, Robert, & others) posting their results, it gives me hope I will be able to resolve this at some point. thumbsup

Jill,
Thanks, you're right, I do have a duo core @ 2.2 GHz...my computer is less than a year old, so space and speed shouldn't be my problem.

think About reinstalling DirectX 9c is there anything else I have to do to switch the usage from DirectX 10 down to DirectX 9c (Other than running the games DirectX 9c installer )?

Robert Gault,
Thanks for your suggestions (I missed seeing them this am) I tried changing the compatibility (and it really should have worked) but I didn’t have any luck. I think Jill must be right about suspecting a bad CD. I’m going to have my husband try to install the game on his office pc tomorrow to verify whether the game DVD is the problem…luckily I got the game from a reputable seller so I should be able to exchange it if the DVD is bad.

So far I have: changed the compatibility, used the administrator id, shut down my firewalls, had no other games or programs running, restarted my computer between every attempt & installed the DirectX 9c software all without any luck. If anyone has any further suggestions, I would be happy to try them! help

Thanks,
pd catrub

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/11/08 06:55 AM

Does anyone think a manual installation (copying files directly to the hard drive) would work? I had to do that when I played "The Moment of Silence" on my old computer a few years back. If you have the game and think this might work, could you please suggest what files/folders you think I should include in files to copy over to my hard drive? I'm thinking the Everlight folder in the JoWood folder would get everything necessary. I'm going to have my husband check the disc on his work pc before I try anything else though.

Thanks,
pd catrub

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/11/08 08:36 PM

Have you tried the Autorun-Autoplay application. I double clicked on it and it and up popped an installation menu.
Posted By: DABhand

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/12/08 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
So a 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo is much faster than a 2.6 GHz Pentium 4 and that would not be the problem.

*cough* you may want to rephrase that wink *cough*

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/12/08 01:34 AM

Why? Any Core 2 duo being sold is faster than any Pentium 4, no matter what GHz.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/12/08 05:43 AM

Catsmom,
Re: Your message
Quote:
Have you tried the Autorun-Autoplay application. I double clicked on it and it and up popped an installation menu.

Thank you for your suggestion. wave I just went back to double check that I'd tried that. I do get to the install menu, it's just that my fatal error happens so quickly after that I hardly finish double clicking on the install icon before the error message pops up (whether I try the auto-installs or run the windows installer it still gets the same result). I'm thinking (as others have suggested) that it really could be a bad disk. Not that it couldn't be my PC, it's just that this is the only game I've ever had a problem with on this computer.

But if it's not the disk, I'm wondering whether I've got some funky file permissions error or something. duh Or perhaps it could be in relation to a problem with my Virtual memory settings? Could the total paging file size be affecting my install? My total paging file size is set at 3370 MB for all drives...is that enough for a game this size?

If anybody knows or gets a brain storm about something else to try I'd be happy to hear from you to try out any ideas before I have to exchange it.

Thank you all for all the help.
pd catrub

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/12/08 12:25 PM

Why? Any Core 2 duo being sold is faster than any Pentium 4, no matter what GHz.

Its a optical illusion so to speak.

A core 2 duo, is a dual processor, thusly you have 2 processors running at the same time at 2.2 ghz each, they dont act as one and become 4.4.

So what happens is one processor deals with one thread and processor deals with another. So in a way things look like they are working out quicker, but only because there is a 2 processors working, but the pentium 4 2.4+ are still quicker in calculating than any of the core2 duo's dual processors.

e.g. if you ran a program on your core 2 and set the infinity to CPU 0 (i.e. just one processor used) and compared the same program on the P4 2.4 then you will see the P4 will win.

So yes things are a bit quicker with a core 2, but the core 2's processors are still not as quick as a P4 2.4+. Hope that sorts things out smile

Oh and Intel dont make motherboards they make chipsets for motherboards wink ((a 3rd party make Intel boards though))

EDIT:

Here is a diagram to try to explain it a bit better.

P4 2.4 : -------------> time taken for operation 0.3 ms

Duo 2.2: ---------> + ---------> time taken 0.2 ms

But... that is because 2 processors where working out the same procedure as the 2.4 P4 and had the luxury of 2 processors to work out data, if for a game say one processors on graphical issues and another on sound issues whereas the p4 had to do both at same time. But what if it was to work out all the information on just one of its processors

Duo 2.2: ------------------> time taken 0.4ms

So as you can see its just an illusion. So the duo's processors are never as good as its older p4 counterpart.

The reason why dual and quad core processors are on the market is because at the moment its impossible to make a single core processor exceed 4ghz at the moment due to the fact pathways are small on a processor any smaller to fit more on a chip would result in electrons unable to freely move around, im sure in the future we will see 4ghz+ single cores, but until then we have to be happy with the illusional quad and dual cores smile

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/12/08 04:53 PM

My understanding is that a Core 2 Duo carries out more instructions per cycle (hence per GHz) than a Pentium 4, even if one of the cores is disabled. If you're comparing a Core 2 Duo at 1.6 GHz and a Pentium 4 at 3.4 GHz, maybe the Pentium would be faster, especially if you're using only one core. But even if you disabled one of the cores in a 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo, it would operate faster than a Pentium 4 at 2.6 GHz.

Quote:
the pentium 4 2.4+ are still quicker in calculating than any of the core2 duo's dual processors.

References? Everything I've read about Core 2 Duos indicates they're more than twice as fast as single processor P4's with the same GHz, even with non-multi-threaded operations. A Core 2 Duo is not just two Pentium 4's glued together.

Have you played Everlight? I don't want the thread to go too far off topic, and the only reason I mentioned cores in the first place is that a 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo exceeds the requirements for Everlight.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/12/08 08:10 PM

Its a Myth, just like the AMD chips are actually slower than the speed they say they are, a 3ghz AMD chip is approximately 2.3ghz.

The Core 2 carries out more due to the dual processors, a single processor will only calculate at 2.2ghz so yes the P4 2.4ghz will operate quicker in Mnemonic reading and writing.

Its just like the MB myth, people think 1GB is 1000MB but to the knowledgeable its actually 1024MB. Or the 20mb ISP connections, that are in reallity 2.5MB/s. Its the same for Dual Cores and Quad Cores. The only reason they seem faster is because more cores = faster instructions collectively but they still operate slower than a single core of a higher speed.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/12/08 09:45 PM

Dumb question,,are you putting the disc in the dvd drive and not a cd drive? It is a dvd game.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/13/08 01:31 AM

Catsmom,
Boy does that ever sound like something I might do and I wouldn't put it past me to make an error of that kind. I guess I am lucky in that I only have the one drive which happens to be a DVD combo drive. laugh Thanks for your continued efforts to help!

Jenny, (I'm so sorry for messing up your name above somehow I got your name turned around and mutilated in my head - not just once but twice. I think insane)

I've got 3 ?'s I'm hoping to run past you:

My total paging file size is set at 3370 MB for all drives...is that enough for a game this size?

About reinstalling DirectX 9c is there anything else I have to do to switch the usage from DirectX 10 down to DirectX 9c (Other than running the games DirectX 9c installer)?

Is it possible I've got some funky file permissions error or something like that?

Thanks again,
pd catrub

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/13/08 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: pdbugdoodle
I've got 3 ?'s I'm hoping to run past you:

My total paging file size is set at 3370 MB for all drives...is that enough for a game this size?

I would think so, but I don't have the game (yet) so can't compare your page size with what's set for my computer. Maybe someone who has the game running can check their cache. ***This*** is what you're talking about, right?

Quote:
About reinstalling DirectX 9c is there anything else I have to do to switch the usage from DirectX 10 down to DirectX 9c (Other than running the games DirectX 9c installer)?

No.

Quote:
Is it possible I've got some funky file permissions error or something like that?

I guess it's possible, but you haven't had problems with other games, have you?

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

DABhand,
Forgive my incredulity but until you cough up some references, I'm sticking with what I've read and been told before. A Core 2 Duo processor is more than two Pentium 4's stuck together.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/13/08 05:15 AM

pdbugdoodle, since you live in Northern CA and so do I, would you like to exchange cd's to see if my disc would work with your computer? If your disc is bad and my disc works on yours you can play the game and then send the disc back to me? And if your disc works on my computer than we'd just keep them? I havent finished playing the game yet.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/13/08 11:02 AM

Jenny,

Wow! What a fantastic resource that document (The General Drill by Inferno) is! thumbsup Thank you for providing access/a link to it! It will definitely be a great help to me both now & in the future.

Regarding my total paging file size do you have an idea what would be a good setting (or your average quantity) to set it on to be good enough for most games? Does the best number run different from computer to computer as well as game to game?

In reference to the permissions errors - the only trouble I have had with it have seemed to be Vista related & resolvable...but since we have no real idea what is causing this problem I thought I'd ask just in case.

I sure hope it turns out to be just the disk, I have been looking forward to this game for quite a while. Thank you for helping me try to figure this out.
pd catrub

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/13/08 03:01 PM

The usual recommended minimum paging file size is 1.5 times the amount of RAM (memory) you have installed in your computer.

Recommended maximum paging file size is 3 times the amount of RAM you have installed in your computer (up to but no larger than 4095 MB).

Some people recommend setting the minimum size to the same as the maximum, or even disabling it in cases where the computer has a lot of RAM (4GB or more). But for games it's probably best just to use the usual recommendations.

So if you have 1GB of RAM in your computer (1024 MB), you'd set minimum paging size to 1536 MB and maximum to 3072 MB. And if you have 2 GB of RAM in your computer (2048 MB), you'd set your minimum to 3072 MB and your maximum to 4095 MB.

I don't think you need to adjust your paging file size. Unless you've added memory to your computer it's probably already set properly. I haven't adjusted paging file size since I was running Windows 98, though people who play old Win 98 games in XP may need to adjust it.

I'm almost positive your problem is a bad disc.
Posted By: Sherryah

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/13/08 03:17 PM

I also am having the same installation problem as PD. I have vista 32 home premium. I have done everything that has been written thus far disabling AVG internet security, firewall.
The only thing I don't know how to do is change the compatiblility mode. Please will someone tell me how to do this?

I won this game from Gameboomers and just recieved it in the mail from Becky today. Please help me get it running. I have a quad core and Nivida GT 8800 video card if that helps. 3.0 ram

I didn't mess with the pages file never had to do that with any other game before.

I see where GBC got it running on Vista home premium, was there anything special you had to do?

I get as far as clicking on the icon to start the installation, the program looks like it will install and asks for permission. I give it permission. Next screen tells me to close all other windows. I do it. The next screen say NEXT and when I click on NEXT it says " Installation ended prematurely because of an error"

I have installed the direct X that came with the game plus installed it again just to make sure it installed.

Please help This is the first game I have ever won and really want it to be a happy experience. Thanks in advance.

EDIT......................
I at least know I do not have a defective DVD
I installed the game on my winxp laptop and it installed with one error but still plays the game. however the game screen is very small. How do I increase the size of the game screen?
Also still need to know how to find the window compatibliity mode on the Vista. Do I have to install the game before it shows up? I really want to get this game working on my main computer which is Vista 32. Still waiting for more advice since more than one of us have this problem. I REALLY think I am going to like this game, graphics are beautiful at a closeup view.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/13/08 04:54 PM

Jenny 100 would this make a difference?
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (70Hz)

I installed the game on my vista at
1680-1050 (32bit) (60Hz)
MY XP has the (60HZ) and it installed fine
My Laptop also at the (60Hz) and it ran fine.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/13/08 05:14 PM

was it a full screen Catsmom? Where do I go to adjust the HZ on Vista? I really want to play this on my better computer which is my new Vista. It is a dell and I read something here about Sonic being on a dell. I have a Dell desktop.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/13/08 05:38 PM

Yes all were full screens. But all 3 computers are HP's. I suppose you can go to your video card and change it that way?

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/13/08 05:50 PM

This is a dumb question but do I have to install a game before I can put a game into window compatiblility mode? Still trying to find the window compatibility on Vista. Any idea's catsmom?
I forgot to ask what resolution did you use for WinXP I am trying to get a full screen and have 20 inch monitor on the laptop.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/13/08 06:08 PM

You can put the disc in then
hit start
Left click -computer
right click-dvd drive
left click -open
right click -autorun-autoplay application
left click on Tab compatibility

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/13/08 08:17 PM

Catsmom,
What a truly kind offer! thanks bravo I'd be pleased to switch (when you are finished playing) discs to try out one we know works to see whether it's my computer or the game disc that is really causing the problem! I'd feel so much better having checked it out before returning/exchanging it than to take the chance of messing up another newly packaged game if it truly is my computer causing the problem. My husband tried to test it out on his work computer, but his video card was too ancient to prove useful and the only other computers we have access to are Macs. So exchanging discs with you would be ideal to verify where the problem could possibly lie & if it is a dud disc then I will return your disc to you. I wouldn't let you get stuck with the dud in case you wanted it for replay. I‘m really grateful you have thought to help me in this way. I'll be sending you an email with my contact info right away.

Thank you,
pd catrub

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/14/08 12:32 AM

Jenny: Core 2 duo 2.2 each processor runs at a max 2.2ghz, a P4 2.4ghz runs at a max of 2.4ghz (exception being overclocked). No matter what sites say what the P4 calculates quicker smile

Trust me, I own my own biz and have been heavily into computing all my life, with a BSc in Computing (Bachelor of Science). And not to mention writing trainers for games using ASM which uses the CPU's Mnemonic's of course.

Its one of the biggest cons around unfortunately.

To others: I have Everlight, and on Vista as an experiment I re-enabled UAC and it was causing problems on Install, so try by Disabling UAC.

You can do this by

Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > turn off UAC (bottom option + requires a restart)

UAC is just as bad as DEP, it does nothing to protect you to be honest, its MS's way of making you feel safer but you aren't really. With UAC off you dont have to start everything in Admin mode as your fully Admin'd with it disabled.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/14/08 01:08 AM

Having UAC didnt cause any problems installing my game on 2 vistas one a laptop and one a desktop..

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/14/08 01:56 AM

Thats windows for you, never the same error lol

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/14/08 03:38 AM

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html

Pentium 4 2.60 GHz -- score 411
Core 2 Duo 2.40 GHz -- score 1292

more than twice as fast.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/14/08 04:04 AM

That score was done with both CPU's running of course. What you want is to compare a Duo's Single CPU operating only via the P4 of a higher speed.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/14/08 04:18 AM

FYI - I tried turning off UAC to see if it would affect my problem with Everlight and nothing changed...

pd catrub

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/14/08 04:35 AM

I was talking to a friend there, and he got Everlight and could not install it due to AVG saying the game's executable was causing AVG to come up with a false positive.

But that wouldnt crash an installer.

Have you tried to copy the entire DVD into a folder on your HD, and install from inside that folder?

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/14/08 05:12 AM

pdbugdoodle check your email...
smile
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/14/08 05:30 AM

Originally Posted By: DABhand
That score was done with both CPU's running of course. What you want is to compare a Duo's Single CPU operating only via the P4 of a higher speed.

What specifically is the point you’re trying to make DABhand? A Core 2 Duo is faster in nearly all regards when compared to a Pentium 4 of an equivalent clock speed. Comparing the two based on GHz alone makes no sense at all.

Not only does the Pentium 4 support a smaller L2 Cache size, it also has nearly twice (and in some models more than that) the number of pipeline instructions. That alone makes any comparison between the two based on cycles impractical.

Clock cycles are just that – cycles. The number of instructions executed per cycle even when limiting a Core Processor to a single CPU will nearly always be greater (this of course depends on the path length of the instructions, the amount of multi processing and the cache pollution of the processor).

This has nothing to do what so ever with the original thread – but I figured I’d ask. Why do you believe you need to compare a single Core 2 Duo CPU to a P4 of a higher speed in order to make your point?

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/14/08 06:11 AM

You should read back to see where it started to get your answer.

Cache isnt everything, 2 DVD-Rw's could have different cache's but they burn the same speed. As do GPU's (of same class but different cache size), HD's (likewise same RPM, but different cache size) etc.

And the Core 2's may have more pipelines, but it still only processings those on each CPU at its maximum speed. Sure it may be able to handle more instructions per cycle but it can only do it for example 2.2ghz per CPU. Whereas the P4 2.4ghz chip handles less instructions but at a faster 2.4ghz.

Again, data on a single CPU of a core 2 duo at 2.2ghz will go through the ALU and FPU etc at 2.2ghz. The only reason why it seems faster is what you pointed out it has more pipelines and can handle more instructions per cycle. But again its not as fast as the 2.4ghz P4. On avg if the P4 had the same amount of pipelines as the Core 2 single CPU it would outclass it.

You know they dont make these numbers up. 2.2ghz vs 2.4ghz is always going to be the same answer no matter the cache size be it 256k or 4mb, the number of pipelines etc. The 2.4ghz will still calculate instructions quicker.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/14/08 06:24 AM

I did read the original threads - I still see no argument with Jenny's first statement.

Quote:
And the Core 2's may have more pipelines

I believe I stated that they have fewer pipelines, and in fact they do. Not only do they seem faster, they actually are because they have fewer pipeline instructions to perform before they process your program data.

Like I said, comparing the two is senseless based on clock speed alone. The Netburst and Core architectures are completely different. Core 2 wins hands down.

Quote:
You know they dont make these numbers up. 2.2ghz vs 2.4ghz is always going to be the same answer no matter the cache size be it 256k or 4mb, the number of pipelines etc. The 2.4ghz will still calculate instructions quicker.

a.) You are wrong
b.) Your are not hired smile

Throughput is what counts - it's all about getting to the end of the line first...

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/14/08 01:25 PM

I am not talking about physical pipelines.

But data pipelines, two different things all together.

There is more to CPU's than you think. And im wrong huh?

Talk a google for my name and ASM and you will find that I have a few tutorials out there that explain ASM which requires knowledge of Mnemonics (Instruction Sets found on CPU's - 8086,MMX,SSE,SSE2,SSE3 etc). Now if I was a dimwit and knew nothing about Processors and how they work, would I have been successful in not writing that tutorial for people to learn but also writing trainers over the last 9 years. (most of them not with this name and I wont give out my old scene name for reasons)

Of course not, and my BSc is not magical and appeared one day I had to work hard for it, as did for my Shop which I repair peoples PC's day in day out, as well as sell paraphenelia, new systems etc.

Here is a test, design a simple program like a hello world and somehow run them on both types of processor (or maybe someone else can). I can guarentee with possible one or two simple instructions the P4 will win.

So I stand on my decision to say that when Jenny said the Core 2 Duo is faster than a P4 of a higher speed, she is wrong. Only because it can process more information at once due to the many more DATA pipelines that it seems quicker. As I said its a myth and an illusion of sorts.

So if you dont believe me then meh razz Lets end this. And help the people start Everlight and why it doesnt work for them. smile

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/14/08 06:15 PM

Thank you for your explanation, Inland.

DABhand, I may not be able to argue specifics the way Inland can, but even I can understand benchmarks -- and dividing by two.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html
The 2.40 GHz Core 2 Duo gets a score of 1292 (or 1382 if you're looking at the 6600 instead of the T7700). Half of that is 646 (or 691 for the 6600). Both of those are greater than the 411 for the Pentium 4 by a factor of roughly 50%.

Let's compare 3.0 GHz processors, since the benchmark site doesn't have a speed for a 2.60 GHz Core 2 Duo.

Pentium 4 at 3 GHz -- 467
Core 2 Duo at 3 GHz (E6850) -- 1754
Core 2 Duo at 3 GHz (E8400) -- 1996

The difference is even more pronounced here. Half the E6850's score is 877 and half the E8400's score is 998 -- roughly twice the score for the Pentium 4.

I have an old 486 that runs at 133 MHz. I guarantee you it runs games slower than a Pentium 1 running at 133 MHz -- or even a Pentium at 90 MHz.
It doesn't matter that the 486 was running at the same clock speed as the Pentium.
The Pentium finishes it's job faster, so the game isn't sluggish, and that's what I care about.

Now you might be able to write a special purpose application optimized for Pentium 4 that would run faster on a Pentium 4 than on a Core 2 Duo of similar speed, but that is not a real world use. Benchmarks may not be real world use either, but they are closer to it than an application specifically optimized for P4. It's very nice that you can code in assembly language, but I doubt any game developers are doing that.

So if you dont believe me then meh razz Lets end this. And help the people start Everlight and why it doesnt work for them.

That, at least, we can agree on.

I'll also ask you to show more respect to other members of the forum and not talk down to them. I can guarantee you that Inland's qualifications are at least as good as yours, at least as far as computer hardware is concerned (I don't know if he codes in assembly language).

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/14/08 06:29 PM

Quote:
I'll also ask you to show more respect to other members of the forum and not talk down to them. I can guarantee you that Inland's qualifications are at least as good as yours, at least as far as computer hardware is concerned (I don't know if he codes in assembly language).

I'm a large mainframe (z class) senior systems engineer and a member of a team that supports the worlds largest SYSPLEX (bar none) - I also like adventure games too... But this is beginning to sound like an interview smile

The number of pipeline stages does indeed hinder the Pentium 4's performance. Longer Pipelines = Longer instruction load times.

Having said that, it's still possible, under just the right circumstances, for a Pentium 4 to outperform a Core 2 processor. But those occasions and circumstances are few and far between these days.

Having a diference of opinion is fine, but I agree the tone was a bit off base.
Posted By: kjos

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/14/08 08:19 PM

Just received everlight running win xp. Can't get to install. Meet all the specks from the box. This is what I get when I try to install it. Using DVD to.
Error 1309 Error reading from file E:\install\program Files\JoWood\Everlight\bin\game.exe--
Thanks Richard

abort--- retry--- ignore
Posted By: MaG

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/14/08 08:34 PM

Are we okay here now?

Please treat each other the way you want to be treated.

Thank you.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/14/08 08:35 PM

Kjos,
That error sounds like your computer can't read the DVD -- most likely due to a bad or marginal disc.

You might try testing the quality of the DVD with something like Nero CD-DVD Speed, which allows you to check the quality of a disc.
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

There seem to be an awful lot of games lately where drives are having trouble reading the discs. I don't know whether it's because quality control for discs has deteriorated or peoples' drives are getting old or they're putting some newfangled copy prevention scheme on the discs (to prevent imaging) that makes the discs harder to read.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/14/08 08:42 PM

Jenny will try what you said. Never had any trouble before. I tried it on my other pc and got the same message. Do you think it would be a bad disk. Thanks
Richard

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/15/08 02:15 AM

Yes I think it may be a bad disc. The "error reading from file" message usually means your drive can't read the disc -- at least not the part of the disc that file is on.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/15/08 04:54 PM

Jenny
I have a old laptop xp and it installed just fine. It didn't play but I knew it wouldn't my graphic card wouldn't support the game. If it was a bad disk why did it install. I e-mailed Dave and he said to send the disk to him and he would replace it. Thanks
Richard

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/15/08 05:19 PM

It may be a marginal disc -- one that is readable by certain readers and not others. In some cases older, slower CD drives can read better than newer, faster drives.

Did you try it with Nero CD-DVD Speed on the other computer to see if it was having read errors?

Also, was your laptop connected to the Internet (by wireless or wire) when you installed? Oldmariner said his installed without being allowed to connect, but it did complain. Different computer configurations may react differently -- especially if you have a software firewall you've configured to suppress error messages.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/15/08 05:29 PM

I used the Nero cd-dvd and there was no errors. I was connected to the enternet on all three computers. Should I disconnect from the internet on my big computer, and try to install the game again. Thanks
Richard

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/15/08 05:33 PM

I guess you could try it and see what happens. This game seems to want to be connected to the Internet though. I asked because I wanted to rule out not being connected as a problem. How annoying that the only computer the game will install on is the one that can't play it.

The only other thing I can think of to try is to copy the contents of the game disc to a folder on your hard drive and try installing it from there.

You might also try booting to safe mode before installing -- in case you have something running in the background that is conflicting with the installer in normal mode.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/15/08 06:22 PM

Jenny
I tried to copy it to another folder but I got a copy protect error. Will try to install in a safe mode. Ready to give up on installing and send the disk to dave and try another one. Thanks
Richard
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/20/08 01:54 AM

Richard, do you use AVG?

I have that exact same error. If I go into Windows Task Manager and totally turn off AVG--which takes some doing as it keeps opening itself up again---the game installs and plays fine (at least so far)

But if any part of AVG is running, the game won't start for me.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/20/08 03:09 AM

L4l I have the same problem as you have probably read. How did you make sure no part of AVG was running? I have AVG internet security which is also my firewall.

I am playing it now on WinXP laptop and have the resolution set on the highest resolution 1400 by some number I forgot what now.
Anyway I can't get the game to fill the 18 inch monitor it isn't even filling half of the monitor. Does your resolution setting fill the monitor? think

I really want to play this in Vista because I have a 22 inch monitor screen and better graphics card 8800 nivida GT. Any suggestions appreciated and thanks in advance. wave

Sherryah

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/20/08 03:35 AM

I had sent the offending non threatening file to AVG to their team, so their updates could exclude the file as harmless.

But here is a snippet from their response email.

"We conclude that the file is infact infected by the trojan listed above, this is not a false positive."

Errr ok whatever you say AVG guys razz

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/20/08 01:55 PM

That is stupid of them. What address did you send to? If enough of us send them the same info, maybe they will get it!

Sherryah, in order to totally shut off AVG, you have to go to Windows Task Manager (ctrl alt del)

Then click on Name to sort alphabetically.

Then right click on every file that has AVG in it--there are several--and select "end process" and "end process tree". I had to do this repeatedly as AVG kept opening itself back up, but eventually, it stayed shut off.

Course, the only way I found to get it back again was to reboot the computer. When I tried to just reopen it from the icon, it said there were no active components.

I did try just shutting off the Resident Shield, but that didn't work either. I know the pay version of AVG has more options than the free one.

This is so aggravating that I'm seriously looking for another virus scanner sad

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/20/08 02:00 PM

I have McAfee and I installed the game with it on and it installed fine. Bought McAfee at walmart for $20 for a year.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/20/08 02:38 PM

Catsmom, we've used McAfee before and it might be time to go back to it. Thanks wave

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/20/08 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: looney4labs
That is stupid of them. What address did you send to? If enough of us send them the same info, maybe they will get it!

Its actually in the program itself. But you can contact their technical staff also but you have to be a registered paying customer unfortunately.

Follow what I did on the other thread and you can play Everlight no problem.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/20/08 03:56 PM

I had sent the offending non threatening file to AVG to their team, so their updates could exclude the file as harmless.

"We conclude that the file is in fact infected by the trojan listed above, this is not a false positive."

Did they give any indication of why they were insisting it was a trojan? It wouldn't surprise me too much if the copy prevention inside the game.exe was being recognized as a trojan.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/20/08 07:33 PM

L4L thanks for telling me how to disable AVG. Mcaffee I got too many viruses with.

smashpc
I have AVG to thank for calling Real arcade a trojan and messing it up so bad I can't even download the new version of Real Arcade. Yes it is official I am using a VP that I think more of as an devil than a friend.
and AVG never seems to admit when they judge something wrong. mad

Avast is what I am thinking of returning too. The problem is AVG also has my firewall.
sad

So whether I buy the AVAST internet security with the firewall is what I am debating.

I love the way Avast VP talks to you, and I have AVAST FREE on my WinXP Laptop and after they give you daily updates you hear a voice that says, your avast has been updated. I always found myself thinking of it as a catrub and saying aloud thanks Avast!

I know some of the Boomers will think I am crazy but well to know me is to hearts me as my friends and family say. At least noone can say I am boring

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/20/08 08:00 PM

Sherryah, we use Zonealarm (free) for our fire wall. We've used it for years and have always had a good experience with it. wave

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/21/08 12:51 AM

"We conclude that the file is in fact infected by the trojan listed above, this is not a false positive."

Did they give any indication of why they were insisting it was a trojan? It wouldn't surprise me too much if the copy prevention inside the game.exe was being recognized as a trojan.

Its Jowood's Protection Wrapper, AVG hates Gothic 2 also. They cant remove the wrapper correctly to check inside the file, so when AVG tries to the Wrapper kicks in and blocks AVG, so AVG goes mental and thinks its a virus or trojan and then quick compares a part of the file to see if its similar to anything it knows.

To be honest they are probably being lazy, if your not a registered owner of AVG why bother huh?

Of course people have annoyed Jowood over this, when in fact its Grisoft for not fixing the issue.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/21/08 05:22 AM

Sounds like AVG is going to lose a lot of customers who are gamers unless they figure out how to get through the wrapper.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/21/08 05:48 PM

Ok, the game is finally running I think.

Yesterday I did what Dabhand told me to do but it still would not run.

So today I tried again thinking that the little folks who live in my computer might be in a happier mood. It still wouldn't run and though I could partially shut down AVG, I couldn't get the main file to shut down even after 20 minutes of trying.

So I thought, just for grins and giggles, I'd try to start it from the game.exe file. Except, when I navigated to the bin file, there was no game.exe file.

Now I know it was there upon original install, so only guess is that AVG did something to it.

Anyway, I copied the game.exe file from the bin file on the DVD to the bin file on my hard drive and now it is working.

I don't know if that will work for others, but it seems to be working for me. luck

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/27/08 01:38 PM

I had AVG paid internet security on my Dell. I just deleted it off my system and installed Avast4 home, and Comodo Plus firewall. It is one of the best decisions I have made. I am kicking myself for taking so long. At least Avast works with the customers to solve the problems and has great tech support. Also they fix false negatives very quickly. I just also saw they have 60 million registered users.

Now the bad news even with AVG removed I still cannot get it to work on my Vista 32. I have done everything written here on advice. Nothing is working. It only works on my WinXP laptop. It installed with no problems and the WinXP laptop has Avast also on it.

Sometimes the E drive everlite DVD isn't being recognized which doesn't make sense because never have I had a problem like this with any other game. Other times it is recognized but I get as far as the game menu and click on install and up pops a screen saying fatal error and it closes down. I DON'T have chance to do anything. Feeling very frustrated as many other who have purchased this game.

Any other suggestions please let me know.

Sherryah

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/27/08 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Sherryah
Sometimes the E drive everlite DVD isn't being recognized which doesn't make sense because never have I had a problem like this with any other game. Other times it is recognized but I get as far as the game menu and click on install and up pops a screen saying fatal error and it closes down. I DON'T have chance to do anything.

It's sounding like you have a marginal disc. Your laptop's DVD drive is able to read it, but your desktop computer's drive is having difficulties. If you want to play the game using the larger video monitor on your desktop, it may be easiest just to hook the laptop's monitor output to that monitor instead of attempting to get it working on the desktop.

By the way, when you say the E drive Everlight DVD isn't being recognized, do you mean you aren't seeing an E: drive in My Computer anymore? or that the the drive just doesn't access the Everlight disc when you click on the E: drive?

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/27/08 06:53 PM

I had to delete AVG so Everlight would install and play. Left it uninsulated and installed Avast instead, Everlight played fine.
NEXT--Started to download casebook from BF and Avast said there was a Trojan in the file. Never had all this trouble before. What the heck is going on with all these antivirus programs. Guess I will have to delete Avast to.
Richard
Posted By: kl604

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/27/08 10:19 PM

I'm having this same issue. The E drive is there in my computer but the drive doesn't recognize it. I've done a file search and windows finds nothing. I tried other programs to try to recognize a disc is inserted to no avail. I'm trying to install on XP. When I insert the disc I can tell the drive is trying to read it but quits after a few trys.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/27/08 10:58 PM

the drive just doesn't access the Everlight disc when you click on the E: drive sometimes it does but now it isn't on the desktop.

I know the problem, I do not have the game exe. I explored the ocntents on the DVD yes I can do that by right clicking on E drive even though everlight isn't showing up. Wierd huh? Jowood files are there and even the bin but there is not one large file in the directory. The game exe is missing!

How is any of this possible?

Where is it hidden on my computer?
How can I find the hidden file? Or was it ever read on the DVD?
If someone would be kind enough to zip and send me the game exe wouldn't that work? I have all the other files for it, even the folder everlight and jowood. I remember one time I was trying to install a popup came up and said ghosh I hope I am remembering this right...Xuadill file is missing, or something like that. The strange thing is I found the file in another place in jowood but it was suppose to be in the bin and it wasn't there.

Becky sent this game to me because I won it from gameboomers. I am so frustrated and trying not to give up on it.

Richard, I am downloading Casebook now and it won't be done until tomorrow. The server to Europe from big fish is very slow. I REALLY wish BFG guy would get another server for Europe. I don't have this long download time from anywhere but bigfish.

Even if Avast tells me there is a trojan I trust BFG and will tell them Ignore it.

Sherryah
EDIT .................................
This is important and I added it in the message above but forgot to put edit so writing it again. Please someone help me get this game running with my Vista.

I remember one time I was trying to install a popup came up and said ghosh I hope I am remembering this right...Xuadill file is missing, or something like that. The strange thing is I found the file in another place in jowood but it was suppose to be in the bin and it wasn't there.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/27/08 11:13 PM

There is an everlight.exe in the
\Install\Program Files\JoWood\Everlight\
folder on the game disc.
Perhaps this turns into a game.exe file once the game is installed.
Or the game.exe file may be included in one of those .bin files on the game disc in compressed form -- and decompressed before copying to the game folder on the hard drive.

If someone sent you the game.exe from their install, it should work. But people have reported that their antivirus locked the file or deleted it from their hard drive. Do you have the game.exe file on your hard drive?

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/27/08 11:42 PM

as I said I am clicking on the DVD E drive and it doesn't show that Everlight is inside the DVD. Yet when I explore it the file folders are there but now they are all are empty!

It has a install file, empty, everlight file, empty. When I could view the files and it does appear in the DVD E drive as Everlight I saw files in the bin, and auto play was there, when i clicked on the auto play I came up with the menu but again hitting install did nothing but give me a fatal error. At that time I noticed there were only 49 kb as the largest file. There was no game exe or large file.

Could AVG have done something to hide the file in what they thought was protection in a hidden file on my computer? Preventing it from reading the DVD? I deleted AVG but if tha file was in there wouldn't it still be in my computer?

Jenny, I freely admit I am not techno smart in computer stuff. I am just a gamer that is frustrated why her game isn't working like so many others. Thank you for any suggestions you have. The first game I ever won and I can't play it on my main computer. I hope I can continue to play it on the WinXp laptop at least even though it doesn't even cover half of my monitor on the laptop.

Sherryah PS whoever figures this out will really have the gratitude of all the thousands of gamers that are having problems getting everlight to install. I do believe it is that dreaded copy protection on their DVD that is causing all these problems.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/28/08 12:02 AM

Sherryah
Avast didn't give me any problems installing Everlight just casebook.
Richard

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/28/08 12:03 AM

After a more thorough search, I found a game.exe file on the game disc. It is in the
\Install\Program Files\JoWood\Everlight\bin
folder and is 5.3 MB in size (5,509,120 bytes)

There should be several large files in the
\Install\Program Files\JoWood\Everlight
folder, with names like englishd.000, englishd.001... and
resources.d000, resources.d016...
Some of the folders appear to be empty. They may have hidden files or they may just be empty folders included on the drive to help maintain a file structure during the install. I've seen empty folders on other game discs and they installed fine so I wouldn't be too concerned at seeing some empty folders. You should see the files in the
\Install\Program Files\JoWood\Everlight
folder though.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/28/08 12:05 AM

I had to go back into the DVD into the bin file and recopy the game.exe file into the bin folder on my computer. AVG had deleted it or something. But once I did that, the game ran fine. wave

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/28/08 12:44 AM

Your right Looney after AVG thought game.exe.was a trojan he took the exe. for a little ride in his car and thats the last time anybody ever saw of him. He wasen't on the hard drive anymore.
Richard

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/28/08 05:08 AM

Richard and L4L I can't find the game exe. How is it possible that they can still block that file even when I don't have AVG installed anymore? Jenny, When I am able to see everlight appear with the icon on it in the E drive, I will look again. Right now it isn't showing Everlite in the drive. This is so bizzare.
Everything is empty for me right now.

L4l nothing is in my bin right now. I am downloading a huge file casebook on bigfish right now so I can't shut off the computer right? I know it has pause but if we shut down we lose all we do right?

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/28/08 05:59 AM

I'm not sure, Sherryah, but I think I'd leave it downloading just in case. You don't want to lose your progress.

If your antivirus deleted the game.exe file from your hard drive, you won't find it there. You also need to be able to see the disc in the drive in order to be able to install from it. I don't think AVG caused your disc reading problems though. I think you have two problems -- one was AVG and the other is that your drive can't read the DVD.

You can try removing the disc and putting it back in to see if it does a better job reading on a different try. Wait until it spins up before trying to read it.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/28/08 10:06 AM

Ok Jenny, wave thanks for your advice. I won't stop bigfish downloading because it won't be until tonight it will be done and it is only 10:00 am now!

BFG Guy really needs some european servers. I said I would never put myself through this again but because the game is so cheap with my gamers club, how could I refuse? I guess I am a glutton for punishment. Besides in the end it is always worth it. Unless like Richard Avast says that casebook is a trojan. I am determined I will not fear this though and download it anyway.

Virus protectors sure have a way of instilling fear in us mere mortals. lol

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/28/08 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Sherryah
BFG Guy really needs some european servers. I said I would never put myself through this again but because the game is so cheap with my gamers club, how could I refuse? I guess I am a glutton for punishment. Besides in the end it is always worth it. Unless like Richard Avast says that casebook is a trojan. I am determined I will not fear this though and download it anyway.

Big Fish was slow for me last night too. I couldn't even get the Big Fish webpages to load fully. Some of the pictures just wouldn't download.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/28/08 01:34 PM

thanks Jenny always good not to complain alone. I am only at 32 percent downloaded and started yesterday 3:00 pm. Yikes this is worst than last time. Hubby says I should just buy the game and not put us through this. He says us, because he has to listen to me complain. lol

I can't restart the computer and check everlight until BFG download is done. Even ejecting it isn't working. Only a shut down may show Everlight in the E Drive.

I am not giving up though because like I said this is the first game I ever won and I am determined to play it on the better computer. Just call me stubborn. slapforehead
Posted By: orchid girl

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/28/08 08:24 PM

I have Vista Home premium with AVG,and Everlight would not install. I looked for the exec file in the bin file, by opening the files on Drive E , but it wasn't there.
So uninstalled AVG and Everlight, then re-installed Everlight and it is running fine now. Of course now I have no virus program so am installing Avast until I finish the game, and then back to AVG which gave me no problems 'till Everlight. crazy

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/28/08 08:30 PM

That's just what I did orchid girl and it ran good. Once I get done with the game will install AVG again.
Richard
Posted By: orchid girl

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/28/08 08:36 PM

I hate that you can't turn AVG off. I'm sure you used to be able to.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/28/08 08:41 PM

Never had this trouble before I still like AVG. Weird If AVG can't tell the difference between a real trojan or a fake one how good is it.
Richard

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/28/08 08:48 PM

Richard, this happens from time to time. A while ago, there was a game that Avast identified as a trojan but AVG didn't. I'm sure it has also happened with the other virus programs too.

It's just another honest folks pay for what dishonest folks do wave

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/28/08 09:46 PM

L4L
I switched over to Avast after deleting AVG and downloaded casebook from BF and Avast found a trogan I'm sure the game from BF was safe,so I deleted Avast and installed casebook and no trouble downloading. Can't figure it out.
Richard
Posted By: tree66

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/31/08 08:13 PM

below is an example from so blond which my son just fixed in 5 mins the smart arse......

but the symptoms and resolution should be the same for any game with these issues according to him.

If you have installed the game just follow the below instructions to run the game without uninstalling the antivirus.

AVG may have moved the .exe to the virus vault.

Simple go to the AVG virus vault and then put it back if the antivirus has already moved it there not sure how to navigate there as he never showed me that bit sorry.

You may start getting some prompts about the exe when you place it back but please click on ignore and follow the below instructions.

open avg control panel
click on tools
advanced settings
!!!in the list that appears look for Resident Shield and click on the plus sign (+) to expand!!!
now click on "Exceptions"
now click on "add path"
you will then have to navigate to the So Blond folder shown below

C:\Program Files\ANACONDA\So Blonde\

click ok and then apply this will then allow the game to work :o)

He also told me not to direct the Exceptions path to any other folder that you are unsure of especially the C: dirve as the antivirus will stop checking the drive/folder for viruses.

Posted By: Adventuress

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 11/01/08 04:09 AM

I am running XP, and have disabled everything, installed DirectX from the CD, copied to a new folder on my HD, restarted the computer and uninstalled antivirus software. Everlight will install but not run. No email reply from the makers of the game.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 11/01/08 03:37 PM

Adventuress,
Do you see the game.exe on the hard drive after installing the game? The problem with AVG was that it was deleting the game.exe.
If the game.exe is there, and since it is installing on your computer and not coming up with an error during the install, it doesn't sound like you have a bad disc. If your video card meets the requirements of the game and its acceleration is turned up, the only other thing I can think of is that your computer is having a problem with the SecuROM. Do you have another CD or DVD drive you can try the game from?

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 11/01/08 04:20 PM

Adventuress, If you are seeing the game.exe file, reboot your computer to be sure it is still there. Did you move the file out of the virus vault?

When I was dealing with this, I checked and the exe file was there, but upon rebooting it wasn't.

I just copied that file to the correct bin file and now the game runs just fine for me luck

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 11/01/08 09:19 PM

Hi all
I am trying to paste a screen shot of my bin folder off the DVD to see if it is the same as everyone else's. How do I paste the screenshot in here?
There are 11 items in the bin folder, one of which is a white box that says 'game' which I am assuming is the .exe file?

thanks for your help.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 11/01/08 09:23 PM

HI there
My NOD32 antivirus does not have a visible 'vault' so I cannot check if it is in there.
The game does the same thing on my laptop...installs, but won't start.

Where are the settings for my video card?

Thanks

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 11/01/08 09:31 PM

Adventuress, I have 11 files in my bin.

We are having connection issues--I'll list them when I get back on puppy

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 11/02/08 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Adventuress
Hi all
I am trying to paste a screen shot of my bin folder off the DVD to see if it is the same as everyone else's. How do I paste the screenshot in here?

The Gameboomers forum doesn't have that capability.
But you can upload the screenshot to some place like photobucket.com and then give the URL to the screenshot in a forum post.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 11/02/08 05:38 AM

Thanks for that, but if you have 11 files in that folder too, then I must have the right amount. Is your exe file a white box, with a blue top? When I hover over that file, it does not say it is an exe file.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 11/15/08 04:47 AM

Thanks to all those who gave suggestions for the Everlight failure I was having.

I have found out that you need a computer with a separate graphics card, not one that is built into the Motherboard. Also, I had a conflict with my graphics card going on, so I reinstalled windows and now I can play everlight. It still won't work on my laptop simply because the laptop has the card built into the Motherboard.

Hope this helps someone and thanks again!

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 11/15/08 05:12 AM

Glad you managed to get it working.
I hope the game is worth the bother of reinstalling Windows for.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 11/16/08 08:15 AM

It seems like I would have run into trouble sooner or later with the graphics card, and would have had to reinstall Windows anyway. It's a good game too.
Posted By: Rachel

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 11/18/08 03:12 AM

ok so i read this entire post and i'm still having problems. I get the error: installation ended prematurely because of error. I have windows vista basic 32. I tried all the suggestions I could, I don't have AVG. I made sure I put the setup on the list of exceptions on the windows firewall and nothing. I also changed the compatibility mode and still nothing. Is this game a complete lost cause for vista users??
Posted By: Rachel

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 11/18/08 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Rachel
ok so i read this entire post and i'm still having problems. I get the error: installation ended prematurely because of error. I have windows vista basic 32. I tried all the suggestions I could, I don't have AVG. I made sure I put the setup on the list of exceptions on the windows firewall and nothing. I also changed the compatibility mode and still nothing. Is this game a complete lost cause for vista users??

Oh nevermind I fixed it! if anyone else is still having problems installing you just have to register the VBScript.DLL file.

I found this on the web:
Click the Start button (bottom left corner), type CMD in the search field at the bottom. An icon with the text CMD will appear in the top left part of the window. Right-click on it and select "Run as Administrator". Confirm this action if User-Access-Control requests it.

In the command prompt, enter the following command:
regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\vbscript.dll

Press ENTER and the next line should have a message saying the registration was successful. You can now run the installation again and it will install correctly.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 11/18/08 01:31 PM

Thank you for posting your fix.
Hopefully it will help someone else who is having the same problem.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 11/18/08 02:31 PM

yay Rachel

Glad you found the problem. Thanks for coming back to let us know. You never know who that might help.

Have fun wave
Posted By: J_Man

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/21/09 07:10 PM

I have Vista Ultimate 64 bit and it installed good (after running dx setup), but I have a bug after it gets to the day-night part. It crashes with absolutely no warning and no error messages. All drivers and everything should be fine.
J_Man. I can't read german so I don't know how to get to the help......... I don't have any luck trying to get help from the adventure company, if you read some of my post about another game I got "The Experiment". The Adventure Company sucks at help (any) problems.

J_Man

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/22/09 06:24 PM

I have a slight update for the crashes. After having the game crsh several times, I saved the game in several different spots, and finally got to the third part of the game. It crashes here as well, which brings up a question. As long as I save the game and then go on, then is it possible that you need to have the auto save on at all times? I am not fond of auto save because I never know where it is saved at in this game, I guess I will just watch and save more often.

j_Man

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! (additional help) - 10/23/09 12:46 AM

Update on the Crash. I put the "fix" in the game. I didn't uninstall game, but in order to play the game I did have to start at a earlier point of time to play it. So if you all ready have the game installed, put the fix in and then start your adventure one step earlier. I have had no problem after the fix and it is a great game, but does need more such as a way to not kill trees (maybe having melvin clime a ladder and trim off one side of tree). There are several other places that can be changed, but Tthe main game is great and got good graphics. Ending is kinda sad.

J_Man

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! (additional help) - 10/23/09 01:21 AM

J_Man,
Thank you for keeping us updated on your progress.

Where did you find this "fix?"

If this is a NoCD "crack" that repaired your game, that's pretty strong evidence that the version of SecuROM that Everlight came with has caused your crashes.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! (additional help) - 10/23/09 06:39 AM

the Fix that I am talking about is in this thread farther up submitted by Rachel.. there is some more comments about this fix tho. I have no idea if it is a no cd crack. I am running the cd. I saw that it was supposed to fix the crash, and I followed those instructions, except that I did not un install the game. I then finished the game, but still saved it in spots. I then got curious to see if it would crash without saving. I have now got those results. If this patch works then I do believe that the game will have to be re installed. I got an error message this time tho.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: game.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 46dfbf5d
Fault Module Name: kernel32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.18005
Fault Module Timestamp: 49e038c0
Exception Code: 80000003
Exception Offset: 0001e124
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 1c6c
Additional Information 2: 718a6ee762f774a7b0439719ae8d9c86
Additional Information 3: 9dcf
Additional Information 4: a53ca31f3a7a146e4f187032a4b22e60

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409.

Now my question is should I use this fix and re install my game or should I just re install the game?? I don't know enough about programming to know if that fix is a nocd hack or not.

J_man

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! (additional help) - 10/23/09 07:27 AM

If you used Rachel's suggestion, it isn't a crack or a patch.
You can read more about what regsvr32 does here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249873

I don't really understand why your vbscript.dll wasn't already registered, but apparently it's happened on other computers as well. You can Google for regsvr32 and vbscript.dll and find out more.

But why do you want to reinstall the game if it's working now. Is it just a test? Unless your vbscript.dll somehow comes unregistered again, the game should work OK without repeating the regsvr32 fix.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! (additional help) - 10/23/09 08:24 PM

When I did my experiment about trying to run game without saving, it crashed again with the upper(next one up) error message, even after running the fix. As far as the game, I tried to register the game, but during regestration, there is an error at the German site trying to get in with no help on that. Does this help??? I will try once more and turn the auto save back on to see if that works. Will let you know what that one does.

J_Man

Update to this post. I have now tried the game with auto save on,(still crashes) so unless someone has a suggestion, my next step will be to re install the game and make sure that the fix is in. I will wait for a bit for any suguestions.

J_Man

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! (additional help) - 10/28/09 09:47 PM

I have found an update to this game, but I cannot read it. Could I have someone translate the read me please

Everlight 1.1 vom 26.10.2007
Copyright Silver Style / TGC - The Games Company Worldwide GmbH

Änderungen

Close-Ups
- Gerichtsverhandlung komplett in neuen Close-Ups
- Neue Close-Ups für den Einstieg und die Inbetriebnahme der Zeitmaschine
- Schluss-Szene mit Kuss zwischen Melvin und Laura: neue Close-Ups und einige Kleinigkeiten angepasst/verbessert
- Daphne hat jetzt nachts in ihrem Haus auch ein Close-up, wo man sie von nahem bewundern kann

Animationen
- Startszene: Fenny wackelt jetzt am Käfig um Aufmerksamkeit von Melvin zu bekommen
- Sämtliche Animationen zum Starten der Zeitmaschine neu
- Melvin sägt jetzt das Widder-Horn durch (Neue Cutscene)

Partikeleffekte
- Rauch bei Räucherstäbchen
- Giftiger Rauch bei Stinkbombe
- Niespulverpartikel

Szene
- Eine komplett neu gestaltete Szene wo Melvin in die Zeitmaschine steigt, sie startet und los fliegt

Sounds
- Feuerwerkssound hört sich jetzt mehr nach Lärmbelästigung an
- Die Szene, wo Melvin in die Zeitmaschine einsteigt, wurde mit neuen Soundeffekten versehen

J_Man

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! (additional help) - 10/28/09 09:57 PM

Here you go -

Changes

Close-Ups
- Hearing completely in new Close-Ups
- New Close-Ups for the entrance and the introduction of the time machine
- Final scene with kiss between Melvin and Laura: new Close-Ups and some little things conformist / improved
- Now at night Daphne has in her house also a Close-up where one can admire them of the close

Animations
- Start scene: Now Fenny wobbles in the cage around attention of Melvin to agree
- All animations for starting the time machine anew
- Now Melvin saws through the Aries's horn (New Cutscene)

Particle effects
- Smoke with joss stick
- Toxic smoke with Stinkbombe
- Sneezing powder particle

Scene
- A scene anew formed completely where Melvin rises in the time machine, begins them and flies loose

Sounds
- Now fireworks sound sounds more after noise pollution
- The scene where Melvin gets into the time machine was provided with new sound effects

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! (additional help) - 10/28/09 10:33 PM

thank you for the translation.

I tried to install the update, but it won't install. I am guessing that that particular update is all ready on the disk. I tried to go to the forums at the website, and I got the NOT found messages on both of the forums. I seem to remember someone here saying something about looking at the forums for this game. Would you happen to have that url???? I want to check deeper on the crashing problem. I have re installed the game, but I still have not put the "fix" that we have been talking about back in the game. I will wait to see if that is needed to prevent the crash first.

J_Man

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! (additional help) - 10/29/09 05:45 AM

There used to be a German forum for Everlight at
http://forum.the-games-company.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29
That forum was mentioned in this thread
http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=165384

"The Games Company" seems to have taken down all their game forums though.

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! (additional help) - 10/30/09 06:31 AM

Jenny. The first link that you provided leads me to a dead link (Error 404 Url not found).
After reading the second post all the way through, it seems that the adventure company has something to do with this game. According to all the post The adventure company is the only site with support. As we have all ready found out in my post about "The Experiment", The adventure Company's support is non existent. I still have never received any e mail in regards to that game, so that should speak for itself.
As far as the fix that is posted at this site, that doesn't work on my machine, but as long as I save it several times I can play the game without it crashing. Having the auto-save one does not help tho, so if people have problem with this game, the fix may fix their problem, but If they ask it might prove helpful to let them know to save the game from time to time. It can be done. I do like this game by the way

J_Man

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/31/09 12:04 AM

Just to let you know about AVG, I am a regerstered owner, and this will be the last time I own it. I downloaded a game and avg let a virus go by. after checking, this virus is an older one that should have been caught. As soon as my machine startd acting up I ran a scan (I had also ran a scan on the file before hand) and found nothing. I then went to avast (My son-in-law(sorta)) talks highly about it, and ran a free scan, and found the virus allmost at once. I could not purge the file of course, so I reverted the computer to an earlier time before I had downloaded the file and that done the trick, but my point is is that AVG should have ccaught the file in the first place.

I just wanted everyone know what has happened to AVG users.

J_Man

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/31/09 12:17 AM

J_Man, we've all had that happen with all the different virus programs out there. When it happens to me, I switch, but eventually I'm forced to switch again and again.

I hope your computer is happy now wave

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! (additional help) - 10/31/09 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: J_Man
Jenny. The first link that you provided leads me to a dead link (Error 404 Url not found).

That's right. You have to copy that link and paste it into the web archive
http://www.archive.org/web/web.php
to see some semblance of what the forum used to look like. That forum is gone now and the web archive doesn't include any of the messages.

The German and UK versions of Everlight were published by TGC (The Games Company), and that's where the support forum used to be. Dreamcatcher/The Adventure Company never had a support forum for Everlight.

Quote:
After reading the second post all the way through, it seems that the adventure company has something to do with this game. According to all the post The adventure company is the only site with support.

The Adventure Company is the US publisher and are supposed to offer tech support for the US version. They aren't very good at it.
Posted By: cazziejoe

Re: Everlight Installation problems - Help! - 10/31/09 03:08 AM

This game takes 96 minutes to install......
© 2024 GameBoomers Community