GB HOMEPAGE

Morrowind saves on Vista

Posted By: hawkavonpuka

Morrowind saves on Vista - 06/08/09 03:26 AM

Is it possible to use a Morrowind XP save on a Vista computer? I have my saves on a flash drive, I am able to move them to documents or desktop. I found the data files and my starter save in the Games folder, but I get the little icon that shows NO when I try to drag the save. When I get the option to move the save, the location I want will not appear. I think this happened to me on a save at Mystery Manor, it was a Vista save and would not go on the XP computer. If it is impossible I will give up and reinstall on my XP. I was hoping I could play this on the laptop, without starting over.

Edit: Thought I might add a link for what the folder looks like Morrowind data Possibly this should be in Glitches, just though someone here tried this, please move topic if necessary.
Posted By: looney4labs

Re: Morrowind saves on Vista - 06/08/09 03:44 AM

Hawka, hubby says theoretically it should. I thought the exact opposite.

I wonder if the experts in Glitches are the ones to field this question??
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Morrowind saves on Vista - 06/08/09 11:31 AM

I remember danyboy's Vista saves for one of the Dracula games wouldn't work in XP.
Posted By: H4XX0RZ

Re: Morrowind saves on Vista - 06/08/09 07:14 PM

Try copying/pasting. That's really the only thing I could think of. From my somewhat limited knowledge about computers, one game shouldn't use a different kind of save because of a different operating system, so I don't think there should be any compatibility issues.

Like I said, try copy/paste.

Re: Morrowind saves on Vista - 06/08/09 07:44 PM

I will try it and see what happens.
Edit: I tried to copy and paste and it won't work. Maybe Vista doesn't want game saves put into that little folder that shows when I go into Games. I will search and see if I can find out anything more. Meanwhile I uninstalled and put it back on my XP where I know how to move saves about,
Posted By: hagatha

Re: Morrowind saves on Vista - 06/09/09 02:08 AM

Vista is putting my Oblivion saves in the My Games folder in my (as in named for me) directory. The path is:

Desktop/Laura/Documents/My Games/Oblivion.

I have heard it said that you can't transfer game saves between computers. I haven't tried it myself, though.

Re: Morrowind saves on Vista - 06/09/09 03:13 AM

I finally did it, I found the Morrowind file in Program Files 86 though there was no save folder in there. I did play the game long enough to create a save, but nada. no saves folder So, I tried to copy and paste my old save into this folder, after Vista asking the permissions, it let me, but it still didn't work. So I created a new folder, named it saves and put my old save into it. Yes it worked, I loaded the game, my save was here and I am able to play on my laptop.

Good thing I am persistent. I don't know if this will work in all games, but it is working for me. Just wanted to post in case someone else has an issue with moving saves.

Re: Morrowind saves on Vista - 06/09/09 03:27 AM

Excellent! Maybe you should post this "fix" for those Vista saves at MM that wouldn't work for XP. I can tell you're loving that new gaming laptop!
Posted By: hagatha

Re: Morrowind saves on Vista - 06/10/09 04:00 AM

Wow. That's good to know. I often have to abandon a game for a while when we go away. If I can transfer saves from my desktop to my laptop, it would be great.

Re: Morrowind saves on Vista - 06/10/09 04:20 AM

Now I have to figure out how to do from Vista to XP and see if they work. Draclvr do you remember what game save DB posted that I couldn't get to work?

Re: Morrowind saves on Vista - 06/10/09 10:33 AM

I don't think it was you as you didn't have Vista then. It was one of the new Dracula Games that someone couldn't get to work on their XP computer. I was always going to post some saved games at the same points from my XP computer, but never seem to get around to it.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Morrowind saves on Vista - 06/10/09 05:38 PM

One of the new Dracula games?
Do you mean Dracula Origin from Frogwares?
Or do you mean Dracula 3: The Path of the Dragon from Kheops?

Re: Morrowind saves on Vista - 06/10/09 06:37 PM

I checked the Manor, it is Dracula 3, I will reinstall it and take another look. I think the time I tried I got it into the folder but it wouldn't work in the game.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community