GB HOMEPAGE

ScummVM questions

Posted By: Mary

ScummVM questions - 03/12/10 10:56 PM

I've downloaded ScummVM and would like to try to use it. I've also downloaded Flight of the Amazon Queen-twice.

When I open Scumm, if I understand correctly, I need to "add" a game. But I can't figure out how to find the game I'm looking for. The selections of where I can look to find the game do not include where I've downloaded the game (and I've downloaded it to two different places now--can't find how to select either one). It keeps prompting me to go to C drive, program files(x86). How do I get it to look at the Desktop folders?
I don't know if it makes a difference that I'm using Win 7,but thought I'd mention that.

This has got me scratching my head.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: ScummVM questions - 03/12/10 11:33 PM

If the game is a zip file, you'll have to unzip it first before the game can recognize it.

The Desktop folder in Windows 7 is
C:\Users\<whatever-your-user-name-is>\Desktop

It might be just as easy to put your game folder in C: so it isn't taking up space on your Desktop.
Posted By: Zimbo

Re: ScummVM questions - 03/12/10 11:43 PM

I just looked at the ScummVM site, and noticed that Flight of The Amazon Queen is a bz2 archive. Personally I use WinRAR to extract files since it can unpack just about anything. Easy to use. Just install it, right-click the file you want to extract and choose how you want to extract it. Easy.
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: ScummVM questions - 03/13/10 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Zimbo
I just looked at the ScummVM site, and noticed that Flight of The Amazon Queen is a bz2 archive. Personally I use WinRAR to extract files since it can unpack just about anything. Easy to use. Just install it, right-click the file you want to extract and choose how you want to extract it. Easy.

If you've never used the program Jenny mentioned (7-Zip) give it a shot, it supports the bz2 format s well.

I was a big WinRAR fan myself until she'd mentioned it a few times and decided to try it. I use it exclusively these days.

Re: ScummVM questions - 03/13/10 05:52 PM

Which download do I use for 7-Zip? These look like my choices: (I'm running Win 7 64bit)

Link Type Windows Size
Download .exe 32-bit 1 MB
Download .msi x64 1 MB
Sorry, I can't get this information into any kind of format.
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: ScummVM questions - 03/13/10 06:47 PM

Either should run on your system - .exe is an executable, while .msi uses the microsoft package installer.

But... because you're running a 64 bit OS, I'd use the .msi x64 download.

Re: ScummVM questions - 03/14/10 02:05 AM

Success! 7-Zip is installed and FOTAQ is recognized by Scumm and it plays. Does anyone know if it plays only in a small window?
I'm so happy I mastered Scumm--I've got to find other games that I can play!

Posted By: Zimbo

Re: ScummVM questions - 03/14/10 02:19 AM

Go into the options menu for the game (remember to select it first), and check Fullscreen Mode. I would also recommend you change the Graphics Mode to Hq3x. It makes older games look prettier smile

Re: ScummVM questions - 03/15/10 12:02 AM

Thanks, Zimbo! Found what I needed to do and all is well.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community