GB HOMEPAGE

WinZip

Posted By: Laurette

WinZip - 02/01/11 11:28 PM

I purchased WinZip approx. 1 year ago. Now, whenever I try to use it, am told it is "out of date." and won't work. So, in order to have it work, I have to spend more money. Heck, even clothes that are out-of-date can be worn! I feel as if this is unethical. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Posted By: Gobobby

Re: WinZip - 02/01/11 11:47 PM

It will work just fine. Zip is Zip. There are even free programs that you can use. I am still using PKZip that I bought five years ago.
Posted By: InlandAZ

Re: WinZip - 02/02/11 12:03 AM

Search for 7-ZIP (it's free and a better product).
Posted By: traveler

Re: WinZip - 02/02/11 12:13 AM

What do you want from it? If all you want is a small program that will zip and unzip for you (read the instructions for zipping or you might zip a lot more than you intended to <g>) go get Freezip. I've used it for years and originally got it because I really don't like 'bloatware' that takes up too much space and does more than you need it to do.

Gil.

Re: WinZip - 02/02/11 01:01 AM

I just want to download and "unzip" some free games. I also get emails that require unzipping. WinZip won't let me do that anymore. Thanks.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: WinZip - 02/02/11 01:09 AM

7-Zip has unzipped everything I need it to and it's free.
Posted By: sureshot

Re: WinZip - 02/02/11 01:15 AM

7-zip gets my vote too. It is Open Source software under the GNU license - same as Firefox, Thundernird, VLC media player - the list is getting bigger and bigger. It can even handle the rar files!

Re: WinZip - 02/02/11 01:16 AM

"I just want to download and "unzip" some free games."

Great, then tell WinZip to take a hike and go get one of the good free zip utilities. Draclvr is very savvy so 7-Zip is undoubtedly a good choice. Freezip has always done the job for me. Why pay for more bells and whistles than you want when you don't have to?

Gil.
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: WinZip - 02/02/11 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
7-Zip has unzipped everything I need it to and it's free.

Ditto.... I have 7-Zip
Posted By: oldmariner

Re: WinZip - 02/02/11 03:51 PM

In addition to opening rar files 7Zip also allows you to create your own zip files. It is easier to use as well as being free

Re: WinZip - 02/02/11 05:17 PM

Thanks everyone!

Re: WinZip - 04/04/11 09:29 PM

I installed this program in February. Today, I tried to open a zip file saved game and even chose 7zip as the program to use. It isn't working. Help please!
Posted By: Gobobby

Re: WinZip - 04/04/11 10:38 PM

Did you get any error message?

Re: WinZip - 04/04/11 10:56 PM

Gobobby: No. When I go to unzip, it went automatically to WinZip. I uninstalled WinZip; it still doesn't work.

Re: WinZip - 04/04/11 11:52 PM

Laurette, are you using Win7? I thought my zip utility wasn't working either. I chose "unzip here" and it seemed as if nothing happened. But then (don't know why), I right clicked on the zipped file and chose Open with Windows Explorer. Explorer brought up another window with all of the files neatly rowed up. They had unzipped and all I can figure out is that Win7 does things differently.

Gil.

Re: WinZip - 04/05/11 04:05 AM

Gil: Yes,I am using Win7. I'll try that, and let you know. Thanks.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: WinZip - 04/05/11 04:17 AM

In Windows 7, it's right click, Extract All and then select where you want the extracted files to go.

Re: WinZip - 04/05/11 05:38 PM

Draclvr: Thank you.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community