GB HOMEPAGE

NVidea GEForce 9600 GT Driver Problems

Posted By: JeanK

NVidea GEForce 9600 GT Driver Problems - 08/24/11 11:54 AM

I'm running Windows XP, SP3 and have the NVidea GEForce 9600 GT video. For the past few weeks my computer has been rebooting itself every few days. I did the obligatory boot virus scan (Avast found a Java Trojan which I quarantined), defrag, chkdisk. Yesterday it did it again and I got the Microsoft message that it is the video driver.

I had updated the video driver on Aug 9 when it came out, so it very well could be. I checked the Nvidea site and I have the latest one. MS also said I should notify the driver whatchamacallit. MS said I could also turn down the hardware acceleration, which I did. That was last night and no problem since.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem lately? I was too tired last night to spend much time on the Nvidea site. I'd like to email them but from what I could see I can make a bug report but there would be no answer to it. I'd like them to answer me.

Just wondering, and thanks for listening to my rant!

Posted By: Cathy1

Re: NVidea GEForce 9600 GT Driver Problems - 08/24/11 03:12 PM

Maybe sometimes the newest driver is not the best.
Have you tried to roll back your video driver to an older version and turn your video acceleration back up ? Some games won't play well with the acceleration turned down a notch or two.

Cathy

Re: NVidea GEForce 9600 GT Driver Problems - 08/24/11 03:37 PM

I know how to do a system restore for my whole system. How do you do it for just the video card?

Re: NVidea GEForce 9600 GT Driver Problems - 08/24/11 03:52 PM

Ok Here goe's.
Right click on an empty spot on your desktop.
Click on settings.
Click on advanced.
Click on adapter.
Click on properties.
Click on Driver.
You should see a screen that has a few choices, one of them being to roll back your video driver.
Hope this helps. There is probably a quicker way to do this but this is the one that I know.

Re: NVidea GEForce 9600 GT Driver Problems - 08/24/11 04:37 PM

Thanks Cathy! wave I just rolled it back, so we'll see what happens now. That should fix the problem. I was just looking at the Nvidia forums and they were grumbling about buggy drivers. They didn't mention mine that I could see quickly, but I guess updates can be buggy.

Hopefully this will work. I've got to copy those instructions so I know how to do it if I ever have to again.

Re: NVidea GEForce 9600 GT Driver Problems - 08/24/11 08:28 PM

I hope everything is alright now and you won't have any more problems. Let us know how it goe's.
Cathy thumbsup
© 2024 GameBoomers Community