GB HOMEPAGE

activating w/Steam

Posted By: dwn_force

activating w/Steam - 11/12/11 11:16 PM

I have just signed up w/ steam, I have purchased the retail box version of the Ball. Now I thought like other games you had to go online to activate, but when I activated and tried to play it says servers are busy down load game later. Or game ready in 2 hours to play.... What is up with that? I have the disc. Now I understand that this activation is required w/ Skyrim. I have high speed but not unlimited. If I buy Skyrim for $60. Do I still have to contend w. being on line to play?? Or download? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: activating w/Steam - 11/13/11 01:47 AM

Originally Posted By: dwn_force
I have just signed up w/ steam, I have purchased the retail box version of the Ball. Now I thought like other games you had to go online to activate, but when I activated and tried to play it says servers are busy down load game later. Or game ready in 2 hours to play.... What is up with that? I have the disc.

The disc versiom of Steam games may not include all the files necessary to play the game.

Quote:
Now I understand that this activation is required w/ Skyrim.

If that's true, my brother will not be playing Skyrim. We don't do Steam. We don't want to have to depend on a server somewhere that may be down or "busy" or non-existant in 10 years in order to play a game we paid money for.

Quote:
I have high speed but not unlimited. If I buy Skyrim for $60. Do I still have to contend w. being on line to play?? Or download?

According to this
http://www.carbonite.co.za/f3/my-copy-skyrim-lands-tomorrow-21410/index3.html
there is a 200 MB patch you need to download to play the game.
Posted By: Gobobby

Re: activating w/Steam - 11/13/11 02:31 AM

I will pass on Skyrim. Bethesda sells a retail DVD and then passes after-market responsibility to a third party. Chintzy.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community