GB HOMEPAGE

GOG

Posted By: judith

GOG - 10/17/16 07:59 PM

Did you get an email from GOG about a two step log in? I don't want to click on it in case it's not from them.
Posted By: Marian

Re: GOG - 10/17/16 08:01 PM

I received this email, and as far as I know it's definitely legit.

Here is the GOG page that provides information about it.
Posted By: Mad

Re: GOG - 10/17/16 08:10 PM

I haven't received an email from them but earlier I went to GOG and typed in the wrong password (in a fit of mindlessness) and then when I typed in the correct one, afterwards, I was asked to do the "Are You a Robot" test !!

Gave me quite a shock shocked

So I'll use your link, now Marian, thank you, and go see what's what lol
Posted By: judith

Re: GOG - 10/17/16 08:11 PM

Thanks Marian; I guess we just have to wait until they send us the 4 digit code.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: GOG - 10/17/16 08:13 PM

Yes, I got an email too.

Re: GOG - 10/17/16 08:17 PM

If you choose Account at the top of a GOG page, then go to Orders and Settings, then go to Login and Security, you can see the two-step login and choose to enable/disable it. Disable is not recommended if you wish to have maximum security for your account.

Re: GOG - 10/17/16 09:33 PM

Well, What a big flop !! eek

I enabled the new maximum security procedure as per the instructions and was promptly sent an email bearing my "code" but when I used the code I was told it was incorrect think

So I tried again and was told it was incorrect a second time woozy

Then I was warned that four incorrect attempts was IT !!!!

So now I have a customer support query active rolleyes
Posted By: Starcom

Re: GOG - 10/17/16 09:50 PM

Hi Mad,
It is weird that you already received the Code, according to the Email I received it is only supposed to start on Oct 24th, unless there are different dates for different regions, countries... Anyway, maybe that is why you got the error message...

Re: GOG - 10/18/16 05:42 PM

I have no idea Starcom, what's going on, but I am at present still exchanging emails with someone from GOG Support in the hopes of getting it sorted.

So far, however, I am still a most Unhappy Bunny frown

Re: GOG - 10/18/16 10:31 PM

Well Mad, I hope they Solve your problem ASAP, I hate seeing you as an "Unhappy Bunny"

Good luck and Keep us posted
Posted By: meryl

Re: GOG - 10/19/16 08:40 AM

I, too, received this email but have done nothing about it so far. I think I'll wait until your situation is sorted out Mad as I'm from the same area. confused
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: GOG - 10/19/16 03:15 PM

I'm doing like they said and waiting until October 24th.

Re: GOG - 10/19/16 04:35 PM

I've never received the email some of you have described. My mess started just from trying to log-in - as I said in my earlier post woozy

At the moment I am still in email contact with GOG Support but when the matter gets resolved I'll certainly be shouting about it from the roof tops whistle

Re: GOG - 10/19/16 04:52 PM

Mine went straight to my ISP spam filter. But I check it several times a day and found it right away.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: GOG - 10/19/16 05:36 PM

I think I misread your post too Mad. So, after you were given the "are you a robot" test, you did get into GOG? And then enabled the security procedure? If that is the case, it would seem that's the problem because the email that you didn't receive says that they will enable it (not us). We can stop it before 10/24 from being enabled (I didn't follow the link to find out how) or disable it after 10/24. Maybe your problem will straighten itself out on 10/24 if GOG doesn't get around to helping you first.

Two-step login will be enabled on your account, on October 24th

On October 24th, we will start enabling Two-step login on all current accounts, with a goal to increase your account’s security. Once enabled, the first time you log in from a new device or network, we will send you an email with a unique code, which must be entered in order to proceed. If you’re using GOG mostly from home or work, you should only be required to use the Two-step code very rarely.

Our Two-step login process is very user-friendly, so we suggest that you give it a try, but if you do not wish to use it for some reason, click this link (before October 24th) or disable it in your Account Settings (after October 24th). However, we strongly discourage this, so please be aware that you would be doing this at your own risk.

To learn more about Two-step login and how it increases account security, please consult this FAQ.

Posted By: Jenny100

Re: GOG - 10/19/16 06:50 PM

My Humble account does this and it's a &^#$%! nuisance.
Apparently whatever method they're using to identify your computer involves something that is foiled by anti-tracking settings. It probably involves accessing browser cookies.

Whenever I try to log in at Humble, it gives me the same BS about "a different computer" and sends me an email with the code. This email is often delayed 5 minutes or more. I've had the code resent multiple times, only to have them all appear at once about 10 minutes later. Having to wait this long to log in is ridiculous.

This "two-step" authentication is not real two-factor authentication, which would require a combination of "what you know" (password or code) and "what you have" (a USB key or dongle) or "who you are" (iris scan or at least a fingerprint). Two "what you knows" are not two-factor.

Apparently GOG will allow you to opt out of this.
I haven't been able to find settings to "opt out" of it in Humble.

If you want to know more about "two-step" vs. "two-factor" authentication, here are a couple of links
http://lifehacker.com/the-difference-between-two-factor-and-two-step-authenti-1787159870
http://security.stackexchange.com/questi...re-a-difference
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: GOG - 10/19/16 07:41 PM

Since this isn't "game related" and becoming more technical I will move this to Glitches.

Re: GOG - 10/19/16 09:35 PM

Thanks, BrownEyedTigre smile

Draclvr.
I check my Junk/Spam folders daily. The email has never been there. It has never been sent to me duh

oldbroad.
Yes. I did get into my account that day but only far enough to "enable" the new recommended log-in" procedure - which was the first thing I encountered.
How I now wish I had completely ignored it !!!!
Since then I haven't been able to access my account at all because the site doesn't recognise ANY of the myriad different security codes I have been sent.

Jenny100.
Oh, I'm aware I can disable the new log-in procedure but I need to get into my account to do so and at the moment I'm still jumping through whatever hoops I am sent - in order to try and GET in rolleyes

Re: GOG - 10/19/16 10:12 PM

Sounds like you have covered all the bases and are now at their mercy!

Re: GOG - 10/20/16 12:59 AM

Sorry Mad.
I thought you'd gotten in.
I don't think anyone except GOG can help you if you can't get in.
I hope we don't all have this problem with being locked out on October 24.

Re: GOG - 10/20/16 01:09 AM

Amen to that Jenny. It's making me feel like following their link to block it but really, I don't want to touch anything in there in case I make something bad happen.

Mad, I sure hope they get you back in your account soon! Just the thought of not being able to access my GOG, Steam, or Big Fish games really upsets me.

Re: GOG - 10/20/16 03:46 AM

Hi.

Well a little earlier I was asked to supply a different email address (I was told "temporarily") and a PayPal ID Transaction detail - so I'm hoping complying with that request is going to speed things up.

And I, too, hope none of you have problems when the 24th arrives !!

Cheers.

Mad slapforehead

Re: GOG - 10/20/16 04:47 AM

A PayPal ID Transaction detail? Do you make your purchases with PayPal and this is to prove your purchases? Or else, what is this?

Re: GOG - 10/20/16 05:06 PM

Because I was asked to use an alternative email address, the PayPal info was a requisite for confirmation of my identity.
[I do sometimes purchase games from GOG using PayPal.]

However, when directed by GOG Support to log in using the alternative email address I was refused entry because my password was incorrect.
So I reset my password, got it accepted, and tried to log in again.

Failure !!!!

After getting past the entering of my email address and new password, I was then asked to enter a dratted security code !!!! AGAIN !!!!

So now I'm waiting for GOG to respond with yet more advice smashpc

Re: GOG - 10/21/16 02:10 AM

What an ordeal. I am so sorry for you!

sad

The reason I asked about the PayPal thing is that I don't have a PayPal account so it is not something I'd be able to furnish if asked for.

Re: GOG - 10/21/16 06:36 PM

Oh, I was asked for either the PayPal detail OR a portion of a credit card number OR a " Redeem Key" number, oldbroad.
I just chose to give the PayPal one because it was the easiest for me to locate.

The latest step has been an offer by the Tech to access my account and manually disable the "Two-Step Log In" even though previously I had been told that wasn't possible !! woozy

Anyway, I have given permission for that access in the desperate hope the situation will finally be resolved.

Apparently the only other thing required - if the disabling works - will be for me to log in and immediately change my password.
[ Which will be my 4th change of password in the last few days zombie]

Re: GOG - 10/21/16 07:55 PM

What a story. slapforehead

Re: GOG - 10/21/16 07:59 PM

Good luck, Mad.

Re: GOG - 10/21/16 08:32 PM

Thank you, Marian and Jenny100 smile
I hope to be coming back with a positive post very soon .... But who can say !! scared
Posted By: Trail_Mystic

Re: GOG - 10/22/16 03:04 AM

Just a quick note. I think if you are using GOG Galaxy, you'll only be required to use the two-step login once. After that, as today, when you open GOG you'll already be logged in. That's how it works for me today and that's what I understood from the email.

Also, don't copy and paste the codes from your email to the login. Most authentications won't accept that, although some do work with the Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V cut and paste method rather than the right click menu. You need to make sure you're not picking up a space with the process though.

I use the two step authentication with Steam, it sends the code to the mobile app on my phone as opposed to an email and so far has worked brilliantly.

Re: GOG - 10/22/16 04:04 AM

Hi Trail_Mystic.

I have never used and don't ever intend to use GOG Galaxy.
I am fortunate enough to have "fast" Broadband and haven't ever experienced problems downloading from GOG just using either IE or Firefox
And that simple method is good - as far as I'm concerned. [ The simpler the better suits me wink ]

And I don't "copy and paste" email or password info. either.
[Many sites won't accept that anyway.]

Plus, as I have mentioned earlier in this thread, I still haven't received "that" email ....

I'm hoping that the GOG Tech will be contacting me soon now to say the Two Step method has been removed from my account.
And once that happens and I DO have access once again, I will be celebrating with an "extra" glass of wine, I can tell you !! laugh laugh laugh

Re: GOG - 10/22/16 06:37 AM

Quote:
I will be celebrating with an "extra" glass of wine, I can tell you !!

Just one extra glass, heck if I went through what your going through I would be opening a bottle of wine and drinking it straight from the bottle. crazy

Re: GOG - 10/22/16 03:53 PM

Well there's a thought, Starcom !! lol lol lol

Re: GOG - 10/24/16 09:31 PM

After even more abysmal failures this morning, I finally got access to my GOG account earlier this evening !!

joy2 joy2 joy2

NOW I want to be able to access it using my original email address and not the alternative one I had to supply.

But what's the odds on THAT going smoothly ????

scared scared scared
Posted By: Cathy1

Re: GOG - 10/24/16 10:42 PM

Good Luck Mad. dance

Re: GOG - 10/24/16 11:12 PM

Well, GOG support have come through on everything, at last !! thumbsup

I can now access my account with my original email address and, happily, without any problematic "two step" authentication stuff happydance

Having had to change my password SIX times during the last week, I have had to write the current one down (temporarily) but hopefully, once the trauma diminishes I'll be able to remember it as I normally would lol

[Thanks Cathy1 thumbsup]

Re: GOG - 10/25/16 12:16 AM

Thank goodness GOG took care of it. And I hope no one else has to go through this mess! scared wave

Re: GOG - 10/25/16 03:24 AM

Well Mad, today is the day when this "two step" procedure was supposed to start, so like I said above, maybe it more or less straightened itself out when they put the process in motion.

Whatever, I'm glad you're back in business with them, and, I too, hope no one else has to go through the mess you did.

Re: GOG - 10/25/16 07:19 AM

I hope so too, Marian yes

No, oldbroad. It didn't straighten itself out at all whistle

Today, after the Tech had gone in and disabled the two step authentification (which shouldn't ever have been there in the first place) the new authentication was officially rolled out and, for me, the whole mess started up again and I couldn't log in !! eek

So the tech had to go back in and disable it again.

Now, when I log in I DO have to pass the "I'm not a robot" test but I DON'T have to enter a security code.
And that's good enough for me dance
Posted By: sanford

Re: GOG - 10/25/16 07:28 AM

Hi Boomers,
Today I "clicked" on GOG, and for the first time,I was asked to enter an Activation Code which had been sent to my e-mail address. So I went onto AOL, and sure enough there was an e-mail from GOG with the 4 numeral code. Went back to my "minimized" GOG site, entered the code, and I was "in". I find it to be only a minor "annoyance", and no big deal. Does anybody know if you have to "activate" every time you sign on to GOG? Would it always be the same Code number, or do you get a different code each time?------ OR is it a one time activation? I guess I'll know the answer to that when I access GOG the next time.
Sandy

Re: GOG - 10/25/16 04:26 PM

"If you’re using GOG mostly from home or work, you should only be required to use the Two-step code very rarely."

Sandy, the quote above is from the email they sent out.

I haven't yet signed out of GOG and tried to sign back in.

Re: GOG - 10/25/16 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: oldbroad
"If you’re using GOG mostly from home or work, you should only be required to use the Two-step code very rarely."

This probably assumes you're not using any anti-tracking settings or anti-tracking addons in your web browser. It's probably NOT using IP number because it specifically says you're using an unfamiliar computer to log in. Also every other website that uses "two-step" authentication forces me to also log into email to check for a code...
Every...
Single...
Time...
I...
Log...
In...
so I doubt GOG's implementation would be any different.

When I logged in today, GOG wanted the verification code in order to log in. Fortunately I didn't have a problem receiving the code at the email I use for GOG. Then I had to receive another code in order to turn off the two-step authentication.

We'll see if the "disable" setting sticks.

I will say this for GOG -- at least I received the code quickly, and didn't have to wait up to 10 minutes the way I do for Humble. That may have had more to do with the current state of my ISP's email service than with GOG though.

Originally Posted By: sanford
Would it always be the same Code number, or do you get a different code each time?

The code will time out in about 10 minutes.
After that you'll have to request another code.

Re: GOG - 10/25/16 07:02 PM

I sincerely hope everyone has a hassle-free time with the new procedure yes

I can only think that for some weird reason I was asked to enable the two-step authentication before it had been officially offered - and without my being sent the informative email - so when I agreed to do so the whole apple cart became horribly upset and the result was a full week of frustration and annoyance frown

I'm very relieved to have my GOG Account back to normal I can tell you laugh
Posted By: sanford

Re: GOG - 11/02/16 04:25 AM

Thanks for this info, Oldbroad. So far, I've only had to "activate" my GOG account twice. I get the code immediately in my e-mail, so I just apply it to the code request box, and I'm in again. As I said before, i's only a minor :"annoyance", which I can deal with without getting "stressed out". LOL
Sandy
© 2024 GameBoomers Community