GB HOMEPAGE

Kings Quest on Steam

Posted By: safc

Kings Quest on Steam - 10/23/16 06:00 PM

Hi Guys

Just a quick question, I want to play Kings Quest from the begining but when I select Chapter 1 it shows continue and not begin, I had already completed the first 3 chapters and I would like to play them through again before I start chapter 4, does anyone know how I can reset the game back to the start

many thanks
SAFC
Posted By: Marian

Re: Kings Quest on Steam - 10/23/16 06:16 PM

Since this is a technical question, I have moved you over to Glitches.

This might be a case of just deleting the save file, but I don't know for sure. Let's wait for someone else to give you some advice.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Kings Quest on Steam - 10/23/16 07:27 PM

I don't know if it's a "Glitches" question so much as a "Hints-about-the-Interface" question.

According to Chris Van Zyl's walkthrough,
Quote:
To replay a chapter from a previous chapter, go to the main menu and click on play, then click on the previous chapter where you will be asked if you want to make a new save Slot or overwrite it. Now you will watch the ending cutscene of the previous chapter to start fresh with the next chapter.

From the same walkthrough
Quote:
You can also backup your Save Files:
c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\King’s Quest\Binaries\Win\KQSave
- Create a Folder wherever you like on your PC, then put the save file there.

So if you want to try deleting the save, look for it there.
I wouldn't delete it permanently until you know the game is doing what you want though. If it just throws up errors instead of offering to create a new game when it doesn't find the save there, you might want to replace the old save.

Posted By: safc

Re: Kings Quest on Steam - 10/24/16 05:27 PM

Hi Jenny100

I followed the path you gave the and there isnt a KQSave folder in the Win folder, any ideas wherelse it might be

cheers
SAFC
Posted By: lynthorpe

Re: Kings Quest on Steam - 10/25/16 11:57 AM

Is it just me? I thought KQ was an adventure game. I've just tried the first chapter and it's all quick time stuff. I was hoping to buy the other chapters as Ch5 is out today but there is no way I'm wasting my money on this type of game. Why do developers do this? I realise they may want to bring something new to the genre but this means it is no longer an adventure game in the true sense. I can cope with a little bit (as in Lost Horizon 2 - admittedly not the best game ever!!) but the whole chapter so far is just maniacally hitting the keyboard. I'm VERY glad I didn't commit to buying the whole series.

Re: Kings Quest on Steam - 10/25/16 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: safc
I followed the path you gave and there isn't a KQSave folder in the Win folder, any ideas where else it might be

Is there anything at all in the
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\King’s Quest\Binaries\Win\ folder? If there is, that may be the save. There may not be an actual folder called "KQSave."

I'm going by Chris Van Zyl's walkthrough ***here***. I don't have the game myself.

Originally Posted By: lynthorpe
I thought KQ was an adventure game. I've just tried the first chapter and it's all quick time stuff.

From what I've heard, most of the QTE stuff was early in the chapter and there was more adventure-game-type gameplay later on. If you've finished the entire first chapter and didn't like it, I don't think you'll like the others either. Check a YouTube playthrough to see how many QTE's are in later chapters.

Re: Kings Quest on Steam - 10/27/16 09:06 AM

Do I have to finish the 1st chapter to move on? From what I've read it looks like I do. I'm not sure I'll get through the river QTE which is quite early on so may have to give up on this game. I hate this sort of thing! Please please please will devs NOT put this stuff in an adventure game. I remember Broken Sword 3 using this kind of gameplay (a series I love) but I couldn't finish that game!
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Kings Quest on Steam - 10/27/16 03:43 PM

And I dearly love this sort of gameplay. But I think that the game developers need to make it clear there are these kinds of sequences in the game so those who don't care for them can avoid the game.

Re: Kings Quest on Steam - 10/27/16 06:08 PM

Do I have to finish the 1st chapter to move on? From what I've read it looks like I do. I'm not sure I'll get through the river QTE which is quite early on so may have to give up on this game. I hate this sort of thing! Please please please will devs NOT put this stuff in an adventure game. I remember Broken Sword 3 using this kind of gameplay (a series I love) but I couldn't finish that game!

Unfortunately there are too many developers who think that if you have problems getting past what they think are "simple" QTE's and timed/action sequences, you have no business playing games. Learn who these developers are and avoid their games like plague. Don't worry about "supporting" them if they're making games you're not able to play.

Don't just buy games because they are labelled as "adventure games" because all sorts of games are being lumped under that umbrella, including platformers and teltale-style games where you have to make fast decisions and react quickly.

Check games out ahead of time, either by someone who shares your dislike of timed/dexterity/action sequences or check out YouTube playthroughs of the game. A great score doesn't mean much if it's from someone who gets past the same dexterity sequences in two seconds that are effectively dead ends for you.

"Sierra" is just a label now, and nothing to do with the original Sierra company that made the original King's Quest games and other games from the 1980's and early 1990's. The original Sierra was victim to a hostile takeover, which you can read about in an interview with Al Lowe here
http://www.nodontdie.com/al-lowe/
The creep who took over the company didn't even have the money to buy it, yet managed to kill the company.

Re: Kings Quest on Steam - 10/28/16 09:12 AM

Thank you for your comments and advice. There are so few real adventure games these days (like BoUT or Deponia) I get excited when I think there's a new one. It's disappointing when they turn out not to be what I expected. Having checked the playthru on YouTube, I don't think I'll bother with this one! It's just not my bag! It might be helpful if there was an option to skip (as in Deponia) if you don't want to play these sequences.
I check this site almost daily and one or two others and I live in hope. I like the classic 2 or 2.5d P&C but with modern graphics. I guess I'm a dying breed!

Re: Kings Quest on Steam - 10/28/16 04:28 PM

I check this site almost daily and one or two others and I live in hope. I like the classic 2 or 2.5d P&C but with modern graphics. I guess I'm a dying breed!

If by "modern" you mean "high resolution" graphics, you're more of a too-expensive-to-develop-for breed. 3D is cheaper to produce, and compared to 2D is easy to modify for different resolutions.

"Book of Unwritten Tales 2" used a 3D engine but was point-and-click.
There's an upcoming Whispered World game ("Silence: The Whispered World 2"), also in 3D with point-and-click.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2787-CVbaok

That's about as good as you'll find if you don't like pixel art or cartoony graphics and want high resolution graphics that are photorealistic (or something close to photorealistic).

The only recent high-resolution 2D adventure games I can think of are Jon Boakes' "The Last Crown: Midnight Horror" and Matthew Clark's "Barrow Hill: The Dark Path."
And maybe some games made from photographs.
Possibly this one -- http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1087715/Re:_96_Mill_Released_and_On_Sa

Of course there are casual games that are 2D and high resolution, but if you want full adventure games, there are very few 2D games being made with high resolution.

Re: Kings Quest on Steam - 10/28/16 09:53 PM

lynthorpe, Goetia is a 2D point and click ghostly adventure game with good graphics.

Key Features

A 2D world of Victorian mystery.
Over 90 rooms to explore.
Five vast and diverse areas to discover - Blackwood Manor is surrounded by ruins, woods, caves and an abandoned village.
A progressive-rock and ambient-inspired soundtrack.
Use your ability to walk through walls in order to reach secret rooms and areas.
Possess objects like a poltergeist to lift them, use them, combine them, make them float in the air, pile them up… well, you’re a ghost after all, behave like one!
Solve puzzles in more than one way by discovering hidden rooms and special features, such as new ghostly powers.
Delve into Blackwood’s story: 40 years have passed, and many things have changed since Abigail’s death.
Feel free to explore! You can travel through the world of Goetia however you like - and if you get stuck, simply backtrack and explore another area.

Re: Kings Quest on Steam - 10/29/16 08:59 AM

Thanks for that but I think these are 1st person. To be honest I only really like 3pp. I know, I know, I know, I'm very hard to please!!! I'm looking forward to Silence and I really hope it isn't too different from the first game. Also hoping Yesterday Origins will be ok and Syberia 3. As I said a dying breed.

Re: Kings Quest on Steam - 10/29/16 03:17 PM

Picky, picky, picky!! lol Ha, ha! I know the feeling... In Goetia it would be difficult to play in 3pp because you are a ghost with no corporeal body!

Re: Kings Quest on Steam - 10/29/16 04:16 PM

I remember Broken Sword 3 using this kind of gameplay (a series I love) but I couldn't finish that game!

Fortunately Broken Sword 5 did not.
Have you played that one?

Re: Kings Quest on Steam - 10/30/16 08:31 AM

Yes. I think I've played everything in my particular niche genre now!!!
© 2024 GameBoomers Community