GB HOMEPAGE

Journey Down chapter1

Posted By: dianne

Journey Down chapter1 - 11/25/16 12:50 AM

Few minutes into gameplay the game play crashes they say that this issue is cause by an incompatiable version of openaL that handles autio imput I was reading this on steam it say how to solve it 1.in steam library right clickthe journey down chapter1 click properties brouse local files rename openAl 32.dll to openAl32dllbak. my question is why on earth would windows 1o have a incompatiable version of openAl32.dll in the first place. my computer plays all of my other games just fine.Dianne think wave2
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Journey Down chapter1 - 11/25/16 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: dianne
my question is why on earth would windows 1o have a incompatiable version of openAl32.dll in the first place.

Because Windows 10 has "the latest" version,
the game was made to use an older version,
and "the latest" version is not 100% backward compatible.

Quote:
my computer plays all of my other games just fine.

I think most adventure games do not use OpenAL.
I think it is a relatively new thing for adventure games. Its advantage is that it makes games that have enhanced audio easier to port to other OS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openal
Posted By: dianne

Re: Journey Down chapter1 - 11/25/16 08:17 PM

now I understand better try not try what they suggested on steam then afraid I will just mess it up as I am no to computer smart in the first place. thanks Dianne.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Journey Down chapter1 - 11/26/16 05:28 AM

It's just renaming the file.
When the game doesn't find the file named openAL.dll, it replaces it with the version it uses.

When you're done playing the game, you just rename the openAL.dll the game supplied to openAL.old (or some other unique name) and name the openALdll.bak back to being openAL.dll
Reboot and you're back to using the new version.

Or don't bother changing the name back at all, and when you play a game that needs a newer version it will overwrite the old one when it installs. What games can't do is overwrite the new version with and older one.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community