GB HOMEPAGE

Return of the Tentacle released - download problem

Posted By: sanford

Return of the Tentacle released - download problem - 07/27/18 01:08 AM

Hi fellow Boomers,
I downloaded the 64 Bit Win Zip file, but after extracting all of the enclosed files into the ROTT folder, the only thing there were the DATA files,not even the rott.exe file, so I can't even launch the game. Am I missing something here? I tried 3 or 4 times to Re-download the zip file, but I keep getting the same problem.
Please HELP!
Sandy
Posted By: Winfrey

Return of the Tentacle released - 07/27/18 01:28 AM

That is strange. was your download 1003mb's When you extracted the zip file nothing was there but the data files? How many mb is your file

Re: Return of the Tentacle released - 07/27/18 01:41 AM

Hi Winfrey,
Yes the file IS 1003 mb, and it's in a folder (ROTT), which has only the Data files included.
That IS very strange. Any body else having this problem?
Sandy

Re: Return of the Tentacle released - 07/27/18 01:46 AM

Did you look in the data file to see if it somehow got into it?

What are you using to extract the zip file

How did you finally fix this?

Re: Return of the Tentacle released - 07/27/18 02:38 AM

Winfrey,
Turns out to be a false alarm on MY part. The other files turned up as individual files in my Downloads folder, including the Launch file. I started the game and it seems to be running well. Now all I need is a good text wt
(HINT). OOPS, maybe that request belongs in "HINTS" LOL. After looking at the README file, I found out the hard way about NOT using ALT+Tab to switch apps. Everything Froze up, but thanks to Task Manager, I was able to end the game to restore everything back to normal.
Anyway, sorry for wasting your time unnecessarily.
Sandy

Re: Return of the Tentacle released - 07/27/18 02:39 AM

No problem glad you got it working :-)
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Return of the Tentacle released - 07/27/18 02:40 AM

Glad you got it sorted quickly! I was just going to download and see what happened for me!

Re: Return of the Tentacle released - 07/27/18 05:04 AM

It's turning out to be a fun game, Draclvr, with great graphics as well as the audio, a lot better than some of the "non-free" games out there. It was worth all the trouble I went through to get it to work (my fault).
I searched Google and found a YOUTUBE video of it, but not a text wt, so I'm moving along right now. As I said before, don't make the same mistake that I did using ALT+TAB, a lesson learned. ENJOY!
Sandy
Posted By: Robert Gault

Re: Return of the Tentacle released - 08/02/18 01:57 PM

An added note about this game, it will not run on all Win32 systems and maybe Win64 systems. I downloaded the Win32 package and installed it on my WinXP SP3 system with no problems until I tried to run the game. Then a got the following error.
"The procedure entry point InitializeCriticalSectionEX could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll."

Apparently the above portion of kernel32.dll was not added until operating systems after WinXP. I did look for later versions of this .dll which may or may not work with WinXP. I have found them but can't determine any safe method for installing a newer version in Windows\System32 .

There is nothing on the game site
https://catmic.itch.io/return-of-the-tentacle
that indicates what minimum OS is required to run the game.

If anyone has some ideas on getting this game to run in WinXP I'd love to read them. I just got a copy of the precursor Day of the Tentacle and that works well using ScummVM. The older game is hilarious and promises to be a great game.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Return of the Tentacle released - 08/02/18 05:02 PM

"Return of the Tentacle" uses the Unity game engine, and the current version of the Unity game engine requires Windows 7 SP1 or later, 64-bit only.

There has been some work getting the game running on XP, but currently there are still a lot of problems with crashes.
https://itch.io/t/262014/windows-xp-compatibility

So for most people, assume the requirements are Windows 7 SP1 and later, 64-bit only. But if you want to tinker and are willing to put up with potential crashes, you may get it working on XP.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community