GB HOMEPAGE

DRM Free Sites

Posted By: sanford

DRM Free Sites - 01/07/19 07:45 PM

Thanks for your input Jenny. I will delete Daemon since it isn't working anyway..Can you tell me how and where to access Virtual Machine?
Sandy
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: DRM Free Sites - 01/07/19 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: sanford
Can you tell me how and where to access Virtual Machine?

A Virtual Machine is something you make yourself using Virtual Machine software like Virtual PC, VMware, VirtualBox, etc. A Virtual machine is a virtual computer, sort of like a computer inside a computer. You start the Virtual Machine software, you use it to create a virtual hard drive, then install Windows 98 on the virtual hard drive. You'll need a Windows 95 or 98 install CD.

If you have Windows 7, you can use Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007.
You can read about how to use Virtual PC 2007 at ***the Metzomagic site***.

I'd recommend using VMware Player instead of Virtual PC if you have Windows 8 or 10. It's difficult to install Virtual PC on Windows 8 and it's probably impossible to install it on Windows 10.

You can get Virtual PC 2007 from
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4580

and Virtual PC 2007 SP1 from
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24439

I've used both on Windows 7 both can be run with Windows 98 virtual machines. As far as I know the only difference is that SP1 can support newer versions of Windows being installed inside the virtual machine.
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: DRM Free Sites - 01/08/19 02:08 AM

Sanford I am moving your post to Glitches.

Re: DRM Free Sites - 01/08/19 04:17 AM

Thanks again Ana, but this is too complicated for me, so I guess Morpheus is out, and BTW, I deleted Daemon already.
Sandy

Re: DRM Free Sites - 01/08/19 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: sanford
Thanks again Ana, but this is too complicated for me

Most people end up thinking this, but you never know when someone will be motivated enough to learn -- or just curious to see how it works.

Daemon-Tools is useful for playing games on computers that have no CD or DVD drive. Also reading off a CD or DVD drive takes longer than reading off a CD image on a hard drive, so using Daemon Tools will result in faster performance for old CD games from the 1990's that read off the CD drive while playing -- you don't have to wait for the CD drive to spin up in order for the computer to read it.

Re: DRM Free Sites - 01/09/19 01:24 AM

Jenny, I now have this game installed and it's running perfectly (in Dosbox}, thanks to Mad's link in the "Remake of Morpheus" thread in Discussions. It was free as well as DRM free as well YAY!
Sandy
Posted By: Mad

Re: DRM Free Sites - 01/09/19 06:45 PM

Wow !! That's good news, sanford thumbsup

Re: DRM Free Sites - 01/09/19 06:56 PM

Let us know if you have problems later on in the game.
I suspect you will if the game is DOSBox-based.

There's a reason the allvideo guy couldn't get the game to work to the point he felt he could sell it, and I doubt this version is any better unless it found some replacement for QuickTime.
Posted By: Marian

Re: DRM Free Sites - 01/09/19 07:21 PM

Sanford's version uses DosBox Daum running Windows 95.

Re: DRM Free Sites - 01/09/19 09:50 PM

The allvideo guy also makes use of DOSBox Daum and Windows 95 (or parts of Windows 95), for those games that don't run in plain old DOSBox or ScummVM.

Re: DRM Free Sites - 01/11/19 09:46 AM

I am now in Chapter 2 of Morpheus, Jenny, and even though it's running slowly, I am managing pretty well so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Sandy

Re: DRM Free Sites - 01/11/19 04:05 PM

Thanks, Sanford. Keep us posted.
Posted By: Collector

Re: DRM Free Sites - 01/11/19 10:29 PM

Just to note, Daum is very old and broken. It is no longer supported. There are other, newer 3rd party builds that would be far better to use.
Posted By: Marian

Re: DRM Free Sites - 01/11/19 10:37 PM

The version that Sanford is playing came bundled with DosBox Daum, so it's not something he chose.

Jenny has said the same thing about Daum, Collector. Duly noted. smile
© 2024 GameBoomers Community