GB HOMEPAGE

cant play Steam games-am I the only one ?

Posted By: opcvop

cant play Steam games-am I the only one ? - 01/29/19 06:35 PM

I have not been able to play any of my Steam games all day. I can log on via Steams website, but not play any of my games or download the Stardrop demo. A first for me ever, GOG works fine and so does my PC.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: cant play Steam games-am I the only one ? - 01/29/19 06:40 PM

I just opened up the Steam game I'm currently playing and it seemed fine.

Re: cant play Steam games-am I the only one ? - 01/29/19 06:42 PM

ok, so I guess something is wrong in my end.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: cant play Steam games-am I the only one ? - 01/30/19 09:39 PM

Steam recently stopped support for XP and Vista.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1558-AFCM-4577

If you're using one of those, or don't have an update Steam requires now, that might explain it.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: cant play Steam games-am I the only one ? - 01/30/19 11:08 PM

I'd say it was long overdue for Steam to stop supporting XP and Vista!

Re: cant play Steam games-am I the only one ? - 01/31/19 10:31 AM

Thank you for your feedback.
There was a breakdown of some sort for Steam users for 7-8 hours, at least in my part of the world (Northern Europe). So I dont think it had anything to do with Steam not supporting XP and Vista (I use W10). I found out by calling friends, but would have liked a website, where you could check if there were major Steam connection problems in your area.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: cant play Steam games-am I the only one ? - 01/31/19 04:10 PM

It would have been nice for there to even be a popup or something that said, sorry, but Steam is down for a few hours.
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: cant play Steam games-am I the only one ? - 01/31/19 07:31 PM

I agree with Draclvr. Something to let you know so you are not wondering, worrying, and wasting time trying to figure it out. Glad it is sorted out now though.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: cant play Steam games-am I the only one ? - 01/31/19 07:37 PM

Well at least it wasn't a problem on your end.

For those who do want to run Steam-restricted games on XP because the game works better on XP (or doesn't work at all on anything newer), there is some discussion of the issue over at VOGONS.
https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60670

Some people still don't realize that by default Steam's "offline mode" lasts less than 2 weeks before it requires a connection to the Internet again. There is some discussion of workarounds in that topic.

IMO Steam should make these games DRM-free -- the games they sell that only really run reliably on XP should not have to connect to the Internet.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community