GB HOMEPAGE

Need help getting my Wizardry 8 savegame editor to work again

Posted By: Sig Segorn

Need help getting my Wizardry 8 savegame editor to work again - 06/13/19 05:57 AM

It was working until I moved its folder out of my Downloads folder to run some maintenance (I'm trying not to keep anything in there now). Now, when I try to open the editor, I get a popup saying "Component 'TABCTL32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid." I think I've solved this issue before, but I can't remember how I did it. The editor's Readme mentions this possible error, saying "If you get an error message saying TABCTL32.OCX is missing, download it and unzip the contents into the same directory as this editor," but that file was already in there. Thinking that the folder move could've messed up its registration, I've tried a number of times to re-download the file and put copies of it in both the editor's folder and my C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ folder (which some websites recommend), but to no avail. The different things mentioned about this online just obfuscate this issue for me, and I'm reluctant to manually dig into my registry, cuz I've read that there are a number of entries relating to this file. Any thoughts on this?
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Need help getting my Wizardry 8 savegame editor to work again - 06/13/19 01:02 PM

On this page
http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/recovered/samjack/
it says to put tabctl32.ocx in the C:\Windows\System32 folder, not
C:\Windows\SysWOW.

If that doesn't work, maybe you have to run the editor as an administrator to allow it access to the folder.
Posted By: Sig Segorn

Re: Need help getting my Wizardry 8 savegame editor to work again - 06/14/19 08:12 AM

Thanks a bunch, Jenny. "Run as administrator" did the trick--in fact, I only had to do that once--after that, just double-click my desktop shortcut to open it like usual. I think the System32 folder location is for 32-bit PCs--the SysWOW folder location is for 64-bit PCs, which my new laptop is. Wizardry 8 is my favorite game ever, which I've been replaying off and on for years, and this so-named "Simple Editor for Wizardry 8" is the greatest. Back when I was first playing the game--straight--I couldn't even make it through the monastery at the beginning. These days, my party's unstoppable and, if you don't do the endgame (which ends the game) and just go around killing random respawns, it's a ton of fun.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community