GB HOMEPAGE

Win erx03

Posted By: petert

Win erx03 - 07/30/19 09:34 AM

Has anyone else in this Forum come across the Win erx03 scam?
It appears to be a message from Windows, telling me that my Windows 7 is 'damaged and irrelevant' and asks me to click a link to solve the problem - which of course I ignore.

I'd be grateful if someone could point me towards a solution.

petert
Posted By: dorish

Re: Win erx03 - 07/30/19 12:24 PM

I've been getting this frequently. I usually have to reboot my computer, as it won't let me leave the page. I even installed malware bytes and that didn't help. What I do now is watch for the telltale series of letters at the top of my screen and then press the X button as quickly as I can. That fixes it ------until the next time. It only seems to happen when I am on my home page, not when I am playing games or on these forums.

Doreen
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Win erx03 - 07/30/19 02:13 PM

This sounds like your browser is infected. I don't know which browser you use, but usually it's a browser extension. I would delete all of them. I found multiple pages with directions on how to get rid of this... One mentioned downloading and running Spywarehunter. I would also run Malwarebytes again... from what I'm reading this one will reinstall itself. The source can be an infected website or bundled software.

https://howtoremove.guide/remove-win-erx03-virus/

Re: Win erx03 - 08/01/19 05:07 PM

Found the site and fought my way through to the end: they want about £35 plus a 'recommended' extra of about £22. They also say that this will last for 6 months, whereupon they will e-mail me about, I presume, extending the cover. I imagine that I will go ahead but I shall not rush into it.

Anyway, thank you for the tip.

(I have been pulling weeds up in the vegetable bed.)

petert
Posted By: Marian

Re: Win erx03 - 08/01/19 05:15 PM

I am not quite sure why you are talking about having to pay for anything? What/who was asking for money? Usually, there are free trials if not free versions for such things.

Re: Win erx03 - 08/01/19 05:39 PM

Spyhunter is free.. I suspect you may have clicked on something that wasn't the right thing. You have to be careful you don't select something you don't want. Perhaps you could try running CCleaner.

You can download it here... select the free option. https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download

Re: Win erx03 - 08/01/19 07:56 PM

The site I found was Spywarehunter, which sounded right.

However, I will not pay any money over, and I ran Ccleaner - which I already have - and see if the problem resurfaces. If it does, I will find Spyhunter.

Once again, I am most grateful for the advice from GB experts.

petert

Re: Win erx03 - 08/01/19 07:59 PM

Make sure you go to Spyhunter, not Spywarehunter.
Posted By: dorish

Re: Win erx03 - 08/02/19 05:49 PM

I found this on Google

People also ask

Is SpyHunter free to use?

Spyhunter 5 is not a free program. You can download the software for free and see if it finds malware on your computer, but in order to remove the malware you must buy the software. This does not mean Spyhunter is unsafe or a scam or “scareware“.Jun 13, 2019

Doreen

Re: Win erx03 - 08/02/19 06:05 PM

Interesting... so it is no longer truly free to use. Then I would suggest going back to using CCleaner and Malwarebytes free versions.

Re: Win erx03 - 08/21/19 09:53 AM

Just to close out the problem, I ran Ccleaner and since then, the problem has not resurfaced.
So thanks to all who helped me out.

petert

Re: Win erx03 - 08/21/19 02:29 PM

That's great to hear! I run CCleaner about once a month to clear out the junk. There is an option to move cookies you want to keep - such as your login to Gameboomers - over to the right so CCleaner doesn't delete them. Can't remember, but I think it's in options.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community