GB HOMEPAGE

The Displacement has small screen.

Posted By: meryl

The Displacement has small screen. - 01/05/20 05:57 PM

The game screen is a window a few inches square in the middle of my computer screen (PC with Windows 7).

I can play like this but it is difficult to see small detail such as buttons on telephone and remote controller.

Can i make it bigger to fill more of my screen?
Posted By: Marian

Re: The Displacement has small screen. - 01/05/20 06:13 PM

For anyone reading this who does not already know, I will mention that The Displacement is a game that I believe was made in 1999 and was Jonathan Boakes's first game, which has now been released on the Shadow Tor website along with Dark Fall: Ghost Vigil.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: The Displacement has small screen. - 01/06/20 02:34 AM

If the game used DOSBox, it would be easy -- just use Alt-Enter.
That probably won't work with this game though.

I'm going to guess that the resolution of the game is 640x480 if it was made in 1999.

Some monitors have a full screen option that will allow a low resolution image to fill the screen.

It might help to reduce your desktop resolution as far as it will go before starting the game, but I'm not sure. And I have to warn you your desktop icons may get rearranged if you do this.

I'm going to guess you don't have an old computer to play on (from the late 1990's or early 2000's) and don't want to try playing the game in a virtual machine (some virtual machine software allows resizing a low resolution window so it fills a high resolution display).

Posted By: Iurii

Re: The Displacement has small screen. - 01/06/20 04:05 AM

The resolution of this game is 800x600, not 640x480. And it was the first game made by the author - it seems he was not an experienced programmer then. In the manual he just says to "set to display as close to 800 x 600 as possible".

I have a solution - in such cases I use a little resolution-switching program called qres.exe [http://qres.sourceforge.net/]. You have to make a BAT file to switch the desktop resolution to 800x600, then to launch the game, and then to switch the desktop resolution back to whatever it was.

Or - you can just manually switch your desktop resolution to 800x600 before running the game!
Posted By: Uncle Reg

Re: The Displacement has small screen. - 01/06/20 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Iurii
I have a solution - in such cases I use a little resolution-switching program called qres.exe [http://qres.sourceforge.net/]. You have to make a BAT file to switch the desktop resolution to 800x600, then to launch the game, and then to switch the desktop resolution back to whatever it was.

I've been using a similar program called MultiRes for more than 10 years. It's perfect for this situation.
Posted By: meryl

Re: The Displacement has small screen. - 01/06/20 10:57 AM

I changed the resolution as it seemed the simplest thing to do. I had to find out how to do that. I am VERY non technical. I don't mind about the icons . Thanks for your help good people.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community