GB HOMEPAGE

Ghost Vigil updates

Posted By: meryl

Ghost Vigil updates - 01/11/20 12:08 PM

5 minutes ago I finished downloading and installing the second update to this game version 3 which on my slow connection had taken 3 hours. I've just gone to my email and find there is yet another 3GB update called version 3b.

My instinct is to wait a couple of months for all these kinks to be ironed out and then download the latest version. My first question - is there a time limit to download? I purchased direct from Shadow Tor.

In a seperate email from Shadow Tor I received a Steam key. What do I do with this? I don't know why I have got it.

In the "advice of latest update" email it says that those who bought from Steam will have their game automatically updated. Is there some way I can use the steam key to have the game automatically updated.

I feel I have reached a point of terminal confusion and am trying very hard not to feel frustrated. Please advise.
Posted By: Jenny100

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/11/20 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by meryl
5 minutes ago I finished downloading and installing the second update to this game version 3 which on my slow connection had taken 3 hours. I've just gone to my email and find there is yet another 3GB update called version 3b.

My instinct is to wait a couple of months for all these kinks to be ironed out and then download the latest version. My first question - is there a time limit to download? I purchased direct from Shadow Tor.

No. You just have to log into your account and it will be there. Midnight Horror is still there available for download in my account even though I bought it from Shadow Tor almost 5 years ago.

In a seperate email from Shadow Tor I received a Steam key. What do I do with this? I don't know why I have got it.

It's just in case you want the game in your Steam launcher with the rest of your Steam collection.

In the "advice of latest update" email it says that those who bought from Steam will have their game automatically updated. Is there some way I can use the steam key to have the game automatically updated.

You'd have to use the Steam key to get the game from Steam and then install the game using Steam. I think that's more complicated than just waiting a month or two (or at least until you stop getting emails about a new update).

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/11/20 01:44 PM

Thank you Jenny 100. I'll wait 'til they have ironed out everything.
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/11/20 03:15 PM

An even if you did install through Steam, although the updates are automatic meaning you don't have to install them yourself, you still have to wait 3 hours for the update to download from Steam.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/11/20 05:01 PM

Thank you Jenny 100. I'll wait 'til they have ironed out everything.

That's what I intend to do as well (with regards to actually starting to play the game).
There have been SO MANY amended versions already yes

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/11/20 05:08 PM

Just two... so far! I appreciate they are responding immediately to glitches and fixing them to help us keep playing!

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/11/20 05:21 PM

Oh, I agree that it is good any bugs are being dealt with, Draclvr, but do feel in the circumstances that not enough pre-release testing was done.
Probably due to the frustrating computer failures that occurred ??

And having downloaded this game 3 times already I really don't want to start playing until it seems a final version is available whistle
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/11/20 05:34 PM

I could add something to what Mad posted but will keep my crabby mouth shut! However, this is why I haven't bought the game yet. Sounds too frustrating to deal with right now!

Jenny, I don't see anywhere on their site to have an "account" with them??

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/11/20 06:09 PM

I guess I was just so excited to have a really good new game to play, I was willing to deal with all the issues. Like Ana, I'm just having so much fun wandering around and solving puzzles and finding new things and even getting a little scared now and then! I think sometimes there are combinations of the millions of computer specs out there and some of these bugs might not show up until the game is out there in the wild. But I sure can't blame anyone who wants to wait until they iron out all the wrinkle.

Oldbroad, I checked and I found you're right. There is no place to "log in" to an account. I can get to my purchase through the emails they sent me, but that's it.

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/11/20 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by oldbroad
Jenny, I don't see anywhere on their site to have an "account" with them??

The account is actually at dpdcart.com
https://shadow-tor-studios.dpdcart.com

You have to use the link they send you by email to download the updated versions.
Once there, you can access your previously purchased games.

I'm not seeing a link to log in at the https://shadow-tor-studios.dpdcart.com
site though.

I'm guessing the links in the emails announcing updated versions will eventually expire and you'll have to contact Jon or Matt, who will get another download link for you.

Be sure to back up your games after you download them. It will be easier to have them on hand if you want to reinstall. They do give you an option to send the game to your Dropbox account instead of downloading, if you'd rather store it at Dropbox than on USB drive or DVD.

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/11/20 06:21 PM

Thanks!

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/11/20 06:22 PM

I'm looking forward to the game also, Draclvr, but prefer to wait for a "final" version grin

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/11/20 06:23 PM

Then you can play without any interruptions or updates!
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/11/20 10:01 PM

There is now a C. update. I’m downloading now as I am one of those who want to play it now ...

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/25/20 11:22 AM

Do you think enough time has passed and enough people have played to the end so that version V1 03c is the final one . I'm the one who has the slow download so didn't bother with version 03b even.

Also I am having my operating system updated to Windows 10 on Monday. Do you think I should download V1 03c onto current Windows 7 or wait 'til Windows 10 is there or doesn't it matter?

Edit Just had product update email for version 1.04 !!! Same questions apply.

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/25/20 03:36 PM

I can't predict when the final final final update will be issued! But I would definitely wait until Windows 10 is installed.

EDIT: I just looked at the email with the new update. It sounds like it just added some help for the sound puzzles. I was hoping they would add subtitles for the whispered ghost voices on the phone which I couldn't understand at all.

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/25/20 05:10 PM

Thanks Dradvr. I'll take that advice.

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/25/20 05:52 PM

I thought all updates were done with after game version 1.03c was released.

So Wrong !!!! lol

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/25/20 07:08 PM

I thought it was for the whispering! Hmmm what maybe for like the piano???

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/25/20 07:16 PM

I WISH it was for the phone voices, but the email says it's for the sound puzzles, of which the piano is one.

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/25/20 10:29 PM

Yea guess I considered the whispering a puzzle since it’s so hard to figure out. :-)

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/25/20 10:36 PM

Which one is that? In the caverns? I don't remember a whispering puzzle.

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/25/20 10:58 PM

You misunderstood, using that instrument, I forget the name, you here the whispers giving you hints. The ones you cannot understand. ...... to me are puzzling

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/25/20 11:09 PM

I misunderstood ??? I'm utterly confused. Where is the puzzle at? Is it in the caverns?

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/25/20 11:15 PM

The machine in the inventory you turn on and it whispers words ...hints. That we all have a hard time understanding

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/25/20 11:30 PM

Trying to figure out what the whispers are is a puzzle in itself. crazy

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/25/20 11:37 PM

Oh, the EVPs! I had a little bit of trouble with a couple of them, but I got most of them right away. Usually there was at least one word that was clear enough and then I could figure it out from there.

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/26/20 01:49 AM

The Ghost Box – The Ghost box is a radio frequency scanner – it is thought that the spirits can use radio to pick existing words on the airwaves as a way to communicate. Try using this tool outside in the Playground, an area that the OPG has yet to investigate.

I know this isn't an actual puzzle... just puzzling.... I read his email fast and I guess I was just hoping he was making hearing those words easier and I could take my head set off.......
Phew, this was hard to explain.. :-)

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 01/26/20 02:39 AM

Oh, the Ghost Box... I never found that particularly useful and quit trying to under stand the words.

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 02/08/20 08:29 PM

I am in a quandary !!

I downloaded every updated version of this game without any problems - until the fourth one.
When I clicked on the link in the the email for THAT one, I was told I wasn't recognised and was asked to confirm my email address so that I could be sent a new code.
So I did and WAS sent a new code - only to be told the code was invalid when I actually USED it crazy

This happened several times so I finally resorted to contacting Matt.

HE then sent me a code and THAT ALSO was refused as invalid rolleyes

And I haven't heard from him for a while now so I don't know what is going on.

I am not a Happy Bunny thumbsdown

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 02/08/20 08:58 PM

Well, that's odd. I didn't do the 4th update and just played with the 3rd one. The 4th one just added the ability to switch on audio descriptions for the audio puzzles in Options. I didn't really need it, so never downloaded it. You can play with the 3 one with no problems.

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 02/09/20 01:06 PM

Yes. I'm fully aware, Draclvr, that the 4th version was mainly to give assistance with audio puzzles but what if it had contained something more vital ??

After having bought the game, my being unable to access an update for it is just not right.

I need it sorted whistle

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 02/09/20 02:05 PM

Mad, I don't know if these codes time out after a while, but if you try the code that was sent to you for the previous update (the 3rd one) does it still take you to a download page?

I noticed when I used the code for the download page that was emailed to me that I also had access to games I'd previously bought from Shadow Tor. So as long as the email link for the 3rd update works to log you in, you should be able to get access to the latest version of any game you bought from Shadow Tor.

As for figuring out why the link you were sent for the 4th update didn't work, I think you'll have to contact Matt about that.

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 02/09/20 03:07 PM

As I mentioned in my earlier post, Jenny100, I have already been in contact with Matt but am still waiting for help from him.
(I don't know if I still have the codes for the earlier updates. I'll have to go look.)

EDIT :
I found the earlier email with the code I used to download version 3 but when I click on the link in it (and the links provided in all other related emails) I get an error message.
The messages all say that I am "using a different device" OR that the activation code I have entered (which is the one they sent me) is invalid.
However, I haven't used any other "device" than my Win7 computer and all the codes I have used were sent to me in emails from Shadow Tor Studios plus one from Matt himself !!

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 02/10/20 09:02 PM

It's nearly two weeks now since I last contacted Matt and I've had no further word from him.

I am truly disappointed.

So if I'm not given access to version 4, which, having paid for the game I should be granted, I certainly won't be buying anything more from Shadow Tor Studios frown

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 02/10/20 09:54 PM

I'm sorry that you're having difficulty with this Mad frown

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 02/10/20 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mad
I found the earlier email with the code I used to download version 3 but when I click on the link in it (and the links provided in all other related emails) I get an error message.

Sorry Mad. I though I'd been able to get to the download area more than once using the same link. However it was the same day and not weeks later.

Originally Posted by Mad
It's nearly two weeks now since I last contacted Matt and I've had no further word from him.

I don't know why they aren't getting back to you.
I'd certainly try contacting them again.
I don't have any kind of hotline to Matt or Shadow Tor though.
Posted By: Marian

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 02/10/20 10:13 PM

Ana is a friend of Matt's, Mad. Perhaps she might be able to enlist some help for you.

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 02/10/20 10:38 PM

Since my email for the 4th update is over a month old, I gave it a try. I also got the "computer not recognized." I was sent a code which went to my spam filter. I retrieved it and enter and was taken to my purchase page and was able to download the 4th update. I cancelled because I really don't want it. I did do a copy and paste of the code because sometimes they are very picky about how they are entered.

I guess another contact to Matt would be the only thing I can recommend.

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 02/10/20 11:01 PM

Hi Jenny100 and Draclvr.

I used the initial code I was sent on buying the game on the day I received it and it didn't work.
And none of the codes I've been sent since - and also used on the day I received them - have worked either.

So I've taken Marian's advice yes

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 02/11/20 01:27 AM

Well I wasn't sure an older email (an email which had a link that worked in the past) would still work, but I thought it was worth a shot.
I hope you can get a message through to Matt and get a working code.

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 02/11/20 01:36 AM

Mine didn't work, but when I got the new code, I just copied and pasted and it worked right away. I didn't do the download because I really don't want it. Hopefully Matt can get Mad squared away.

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 02/12/20 04:59 AM

Yahoo !! And again Yahoo !! bravo
Matt has come up with the goods - by a circuitous but nonetheless successful route - and I finally have version 4 of the game download and installed hamster

So I have sincerely thanked him (and BrownEyedTigre) for all the help I've been afforded.

And I am now back to being a Very Happy Bunny !!!! yay yay yay

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 02/12/20 05:46 AM

thumbsup
Posted By: BrownEyedTigre

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 02/13/20 12:04 AM

That sounds like the Matt I know! So happy he came through. Now enjoy the game!

Re: Ghost Vigil updates - 02/13/20 05:32 AM

I'm sure I will, thank you, BrownEyedTigre hamster

For the time being though, I'm going to wonder round and just explore and such like as I really ought to finish ONE of the three games I have on the go first, so I can pay proper full attention to details !! yes
© 2024 GameBoomers Community