GB HOMEPAGE

Trouble with GOG

Posted By: petert

Trouble with GOG - 01/27/23 12:18 PM

Having a bit of trouble with GOG, in that some of my installed games will not run.
One of these is Timelapse.

When I click on the icon for the game, it seems to try to start, but then comes up with the message "Fatal Error at line 4288(Code 32)".

In similar fashion, when I try to run Titanic - Adventure out of Tme - it seems to try to start, and the initial music starts, but then it goes back to desktop and the Play icon is greyed out.

I have tried uninstallng and reinstalling but to no avail,

Can anyone help?

petert
Posted By: Draclvr

Re: Trouble with GOG - 01/27/23 03:33 PM

Were these games downloaded using GOG Galaxy? What did you uninstall and reinstall... the game itself or Galaxy?

I would suggest contacting GOG support as there could be a lot of unknowns here. You might try running their trouble shooter first. This is the link specifically for Timelapse and there is an option for "Launching Issues."

https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/213529909-Timelapse?product=gog

If none of that works, I'd suggest contacting GOG support.

https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us?product=gog

Follow up to my previous GOG problem - 01/27/23 03:42 PM

I think I have found out what I was doing wrong.

I had been trying to start the game in the usual way, but when I right clicked on the game icon, I found that there was a 'run as administrator' option, and that seemed to work.

Being wise after the event, I found from clicking the help button on GOG told me that I should have been using that option all the time.

Don't really understand why that should be required when the game worked perfectly well before, but there you go. Find out something new all the time.

petert

Re: Follow up to my previous GOG problem - 01/27/23 03:54 PM

It does seem strange that it just now started to need that option! At least you got it sorted and can play the games.
Posted By: Winfrey

Re: Follow up to my previous GOG problem - 01/27/23 04:41 PM

That's interesting, I just downloaded a game from there and I don't have run as admin? I downloaded using Galaxy, but then went into the folder and made a shortcut so I could play the game without starting Galaxy.

Re: Follow up to my previous GOG problem - 01/27/23 05:51 PM

None of mine require "run as administrator" either, Winfrey. Who knows - these are older games, so maybe it has something to do with that.

Re: Follow up to my previous GOG problem - 01/31/23 12:50 PM

Finally got round to deciding to download Syberia 4, the World before, but have found that the C-drive has not got enough space. The game needs about 21 Gb

and my computer has only got about 7Gb free at the moment. How easy is it to expand the storage space on my Republic of Gamers machine?

Not only that problem, but when I downloaded the game, I upgraded Gog to Galaxy 2, and promptly lost the other games that were in the original Gog system.

Not my best decision.

petert

Re: Follow up to my previous GOG problem - 01/31/23 02:57 PM

Do you have a very small drive? Newer computers usually come with at least 500 GB. If you don't have enough, you would need to uninstall some other programs to free up space.

You shouldn't lose ANY games. They are all available in your acccount at GOG. You may have to download them, but you won't lose anything. If you already have them installed, they are still there on your computer. Were they originally downloaded using Galaxy?

Re: Follow up to my previous GOG problem - 01/31/23 04:24 PM

They were all in Galaxy.

I ran dxdiag and found that Windows C has 7GBfree in 118GB, and Data D has 659GB free of 931 GB.

Does that mean that there is ample space to put the program into the D drive - certainly seems so to me. No wonder that the program would not fit into C.

Perhaps I agreed that destination when GOG downloaded the program though I would have thought that GOG would have told me.

petert

Re: Follow up to my previous GOG problem - 01/31/23 05:10 PM

In a word yes, but what I would suggest is that you click on Windows Explorer in your taskbar... the manilla folder icon. All your drives should be listed and you can see what's available.

What you have is a drive that is partitioned. You should NEVER be using that C drive for downloads or installing programs. It is meant for your operating system and a few specific programs. D is your data drive and all downloads and programs should be directed to that drive. And no, in these downloads you have to specify where you want them to go - GOG won't tell you.

Re: Follow up to my previous GOG problem - 01/31/23 05:27 PM

That worked! I said that the D drive should be used.

The game is downloaded.

I will go and look at Explorer and see if I can find the games that have disappeared

from GOG.

Thanks, Draclvr.

petert
Posted By: oldbroad

Re: Follow up to my previous GOG problem - 01/31/23 05:47 PM

On the left hand side of the Galaxy, click on "installed games" if you haven't tried that.

Re: Follow up to my previous GOG problem - 01/31/23 06:03 PM

Thank you, oldbroad. Definitely open up Galaxy and check on the left side for your games.

Too be honest, if you have a lot of them installed on the C drive, I would suggest uninstalling them and then redownloading and installing on your D drive.
Posted By: Mad

Re: Follow up to my previous GOG problem - 02/02/23 10:44 PM

I have been getting pestered to "update" my Galaxy for some time - so this week I did
And the result was that I then had to re-download the games that had already been installed.
Time consuming.
But all my progress through them was still there once they were re-downloaded. And fortunately there were only four of them whistle

Re: Follow up to my previous GOG problem - 02/02/23 10:45 PM

I keep getting pestered for an update, but it always fails. Just have bothered to contact them yet.

Re: Follow up to my previous GOG problem - 02/02/23 11:01 PM

Mine keeps failing also and saying that I can re-download the Galaxy which I thought I did yesterday but today it has the same update/fail message so...???

I will definitely NOT be downloading it again if I am going to have to re-download all of the games I already have installed.

Re: Follow up to my previous GOG problem - 02/02/23 11:15 PM

Same as what's happening to me too, oldbroad. I'm not doing another update either. It takes overnight for some of my bigger games to download with my slow internet out in the country. And I'm in the middle of Witcher 3!
Posted By: Marian

Re: Follow up to my previous GOG problem - 02/02/23 11:29 PM

The same thing that you describe, Mad, happened to me as well. Fortunately I only had a few games installed.

Re: Follow up to my previous GOG problem - 02/02/23 11:57 PM

As I said, I only have 4 games installed via Galaxy right now AND I do have a good internet speed. So it wasn't too lengthy a procedure.

But It would be better if a person was told beforehand that even though the games affected would need to be re-downloaded, the progress already made in them would not be lost during the process duh

EDIT :

My worry if deciding not to DO the update would be that eventually the games might cease to function ??

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/03/23 12:06 AM

So far, the game I'm playing is still working fine.
Posted By: Starcom

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/03/23 12:38 AM

That is why I Do Not use Galaxy or Any other Download software except Big Fish because there is NO other way, I use the Good Old fashioned download method and I never ever had any Problems with GOG downloads. Just my *4 cents worth.

*Use to be 2 cents worth, but with inflation and all....

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/03/23 01:08 AM

I have trouble with all downloads so I really need the client! yes

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/03/23 03:28 AM

I'm with oldbroad - I love the GOG Client for downloads. It's been glitch free for years. This is a bit strange for them.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/03/23 04:12 AM

Guess I Must be lucky with Downloads, in the decades of downloading games or other files, with the exceptions of a few times, never had problems downloading, well I must keep on rubbing my lucky charms.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/03/23 02:12 PM

I now think that all of my problems were caused by upgrading GOG to version 2.

Prior to that time, GOG Galaxy had been behaving perfectly, so when they informed that I could (should?) update to Galaxy version 2, telling me that all my games would be transferred over, I did so.

When I went into the games folder, several had disappeared, in particular Schizm, Titanic and Timelapse.
My first attempt was to try and get Titanic to work, but that was a dismal faiure. I thought I had done something wrong so I bought Titanic from Steam and finished that off correctly.

I then tried to find Schizm and Timelapse somewhere on my computer, but as I am not very computer savvy any more - old age!! - I couldn't find either. I still wanted to replay Schizm and Timelapse, so I bought both again from GOG.

When I fired up Schizm, all my saved games popped up, so they had been there all the time, and it was perhaps only my incompetence at not being able to find them that was the problem.

Timelapse was not so obliging. I still get the message about the fatal error that prevents me from running the game. So I have asked GOG to refund the cost and, to their credit, they swiftly agreed.

I will carry on regardless, but as I say, it appears that the upgrade version seems to be the culprit.

petert

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/03/23 02:24 PM

Iโ€™ve used GOG since it started tweaking older games to enable play of them on modern machines - and that is many, many moons ago.
It is my absolute favourite site for the downloading of games ๐Ÿ‘

But I only tend to use Galaxy for big games that would otherwise require several downloads.
And Iโ€™ve only ever had problems with ONE of THOSE and that was Skyrim. (Which was soon sorted.)

In my opinion, however, the lack of information regarding the Galaxy update could cause problems โ€ฆ.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/03/23 03:25 PM

I really need to do a support ticket today.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/03/23 06:30 PM

Well, that sounds like a real problem if it is really causing games to no longer show they are in your library and allowing you to re-purchase them then. I will for sure be waiting until they fix that. I have almost 400 games from GOG and might never even notice some of them missing. frown

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/03/23 08:54 PM

Has someone said that after updating Galaxy games previously purchased from GOG are not showing in their GOG library think

Iโ€™ve never had to re-buy an already purchased game from GOG. Iโ€™ve just re-downloaded it โ€ฆ.

EDIT :

I understood that the games appeared to be lost from the computer - not from the GOG library.
Have I got that wrong ??

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/03/23 09:29 PM

From what I understand, your library is intact. They just had to redownload them.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/03/23 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by petert
I now think that all of my problems were caused by upgrading GOG to version 2.

Prior to that time, GOG Galaxy had been behaving perfectly, so when they informed that I could (should?) update to Galaxy version 2, telling me that all my games would be transferred over, I did so.

When I went into the games folder, several had disappeared, in particular Schizm, Titanic and Timelapse.
My first attempt was to try and get Titanic to work, but that was a dismal faiure. I thought I had done something wrong so I bought Titanic from Steam and finished that off correctly.

I then tried to find Schizm and Timelapse somewhere on my computer, but as I am not very computer savvy any more - old age!! - I couldn't find either. I still wanted to replay Schizm and Timelapse, so I bought both again from GOG.

When I fired up Schizm, all my saved games popped up, so they had been there all the time, and it was perhaps only my incompetence at not being able to find them that was the problem.

Timelapse was not so obliging. I still get the message about the fatal error that prevents me from running the game. So I have asked GOG to refund the cost and, to their credit, they swiftly agreed.

I will carry on regardless, but as I say, it appears that the upgrade version seems to be the culprit.

petert

Well, that's how I read this post from petert, which says he "bought both again" in reference to Schizm and Timelapse. If they had previously been purchased from GOG it should have shown on the purchase page that the game was already in his library. Maybe I am misinterpreting this? duh

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/03/23 09:56 PM

We posted at the same time, Draclvr lol

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/03/23 10:07 PM

Sorry to read that petert had to buy or re-buy 2 games from GOG, but unless I missed it, petert did not try to contact GOG before re-buying these games, GOG has been pretty good to me for solving issues and they could have poked around for petert to resurrect the games in question, or at the very least, give petert credit for these 2 games.
Anyway oldbroad I wish you the best in resolving your problem as quickly as possible, it must be frustrating for you.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/03/23 10:16 PM

I don't have a problem Starcom smile

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/03/23 10:29 PM

When petert says he bought both games again from GOG (Schizm and Timelapse), I can't be sure whether he means that he bought them from GOG after having already purchased them previously from GOG, or whether he had acquired the games originally from somewhere else. It isn't clear to me.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/03/23 10:34 PM

Like Marian, it was unclear to me. There would certainly be no reason to repurchase if he had already bought them from GOG.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/03/23 10:41 PM

True that it is not exactly clear. I assumed what I did from this first part of his post:

"I now think that all of my problems were caused by upgrading GOG to version 2.

When I went into the games folder, several had disappeared, in particular Schizm, Titanic and Timelapse."

Either way, a hassle.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/03/23 11:05 PM

It's all very puzzling to me because GOG has always recognized my purchased games and would not allow me to purchase the same game again.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/04/23 02:44 AM

Same here, Marian. Hopefully, Peter will clarify for us!

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/04/23 07:58 AM

Anyway oldbroad I wish you the best in resolving your problem as quickly as possible, it must be frustrating for you.

Sorry oldbroad, that should have been petert's name there instead of yours. I was thinking of you mentioning your problem with downloading G2 as I was writing this. Good decision to wait until they Fix this G2 fiasco, seems to work well for some people while others are having Nightmares with it.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/05/23 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Draclvr
I really need to do a support ticket today.

Did you do one, Draclvr ??

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/05/23 03:34 PM

Yes, I did, Mad. To clarify, I have the Galaxy 2.0.57 Beta... the nag I'm getting that won't work is for the 2.0.58 version. Given the issues others have had, I'm not going to try any more until I hear back from GOG.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/06/23 12:07 AM

That sounds like the best way to go, Draclvr ๐Ÿ‘
Posted By: hagatha

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/06/23 12:45 AM

I'm also having trouble with updating to the latest version of Galaxy. It constantly asks me to update, but the update always fails. I've contacted them about it too.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/06/23 12:47 AM

How do you find what version you have? I was looking but couldn't find it.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/09/23 03:00 AM

Just curious oldbroad, did you find an answer to know which Version of Galaxy you have? Tried looking it up for you, but it is a bit complicated for me since I do not have Galaxy. Good luck.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/09/23 03:21 AM

Oh, jeepers! I totally missed your question, oldbroad! I'm so sorry! Just open up the GOG client and in the very upper left is a gear thingie. Click on it and select Settings. It's at the bottom of the next window. Thanks for catching this, Starcom!

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/09/23 03:30 AM

Thanks Starcom! No problem Drac! It doesn't really matter but I was curious where you were finding the information. I have the same version you do: 2.0.57.14 - Beta. Did you hear back from GOG? Have you been able to update?

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/09/23 04:29 AM

Your welcome oldbroad, and Draclvr don't worry about missing a question, you Handle So Many questions in this Forum and the MM Forum you are bound to miss one, if I handled as many questions as you do, I would be missing a Lot more than one.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/09/23 04:37 AM

Thanks, Starcom. No, I haven't heard from them, oldbroad. Hagatha is having the same problem and has also submitted a ticket.
Posted By: revco

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/12/23 03:07 AM

"I'm also having trouble with updating to the latest version of Galaxy. It constantly asks me to update, but the update always fails. I've contacted them about it too."

This is happening to me too. Been like 2 weeks.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/12/23 04:03 AM

revco, I finally heard back from them today. They gave me a direct link to the update which downloaded just fine. I haven't installed it yet being kind of nervous that it's going to jack up all my downloaded games as it did for a couple of other people here!

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/12/23 10:39 AM

Good luck, Draclvr ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/12/23 01:48 PM

Well this makes me nervous. I havenโ€™t downloaded from GOG in awhile. Not looking forward to issues!!! Will watch this thread closely. Good luck Drac

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/12/23 02:46 PM

So, I took my Elven sword into battle and did the update last night. It went perfectly and I didn't lose any installed games. Whew!

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/12/23 03:42 PM

Fab !!!!

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/12/23 03:44 PM

Great news, Drac! thumbsup
Posted By: revco

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/13/23 04:16 AM

revco, I finally heard back from them today. They gave me a direct link to the update which downloaded just fine. I haven't installed it yet being kind of nervous that it's going to jack up all my downloaded games as it did for a couple of other people here!

Cool. Let us know how it goes...

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/13/23 04:26 AM

Revco, I posted earlier today... So far, so good!

So, I took my Elven sword into battle and did the update last night. It went perfectly and I didn't lose any installed games. Whew!

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/18/23 03:02 PM

So, I was able to successfully update to 2.0.58 with the link they sent me. I expressed some concern about my games being deleted and I got this email this morning...

When clicking on the following link: https://content-system.gog.com/open...lient/2.0.58.4/setup_galaxy_2.0.58.4.exe, the closed beta version 2.0.58.4 of GOG GALAXY will be downloaded onto your device.

While installing the update from the provided file will not delete the games that you have currently installed on your device, there is a very small chance that the launcher will de-sync itself during the installation, which will then make it appear that the games that you have had previously installed on your device will have to re-downloaded. That can be easily fixed by simply re-syncing your game library by doing the following:

> Launch GOG GALAXY
> Click cog icon at the top left corner
> Select "add games & friends" > "Scan folders for GOG Games"
> Select folder where your games have been installed

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/18/23 04:12 PM

Good to know, Draclvr so thanks for sharing thumbsup

[Happily, I am fine with my Galaxy games as they are now all "fully" in place.]

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/18/23 05:34 PM

WOW.... Good info Drac! I copied this so if I run into a problem, I have the info. thanks They seem to be having issues lately,.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/18/23 06:16 PM

Thank you Draclvr. I didn't realize clicking your link would actually start the download but it all went well and I am updated intact.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/18/23 09:26 PM

Yeah, initially missed the "when you click on this link, your download will start" too! At least you are updated and good to go!
Posted By: Taintedfury

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/21/23 08:27 AM

I just reinstalled Skyrim on Gog cross fingers so no problem but I hope it sorts itself out for you Mad, oldbroad, Draclvr & petert luck

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/21/23 01:26 PM

Hi Taintedfury ๐Ÿ™‚

All my Galaxy games are fine now ๐Ÿ‘
(And my initial problem with Skyrim was months ago, when I originally bought it, but that was soon sorted.)
Posted By: Taintedfury

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/23/23 09:05 AM

Hi Mad wavegirl

Good to hear all your games including Skyrim are working on Gog & it didn't take long.. woot

I love Skyrim shiverand i was rapped when it became available on Gog....happy gaming wave2

Re: Trouble with GOG - 02/23/23 02:08 PM

thanks

Re: Trouble with GOG - 03/13/23 07:02 PM

I finally got another direct link to the most recent GOG update. This one is "supposed" to fix the problems with the updates not working.

https://content-system.gog.com/open...lient/2.0.60.2/setup_galaxy_2.0.60.2.exe

Re: Trouble with GOG - 03/13/23 07:28 PM

Thanks. I didn't know there is another update. I haven't opened up anything that uses Galaxy lately, but will check it out when I get a chance.
Posted By: Orion

Re: Trouble with GOG - 03/15/23 05:40 PM

I have been experiencing maybe the same issue with updates. I do not know. I get this note everytime I start the computer:

"GOG Galaxy Update Problem

There was a problem with updating the application.
You can always download the latest version from:

Gives me this link "

In reading this thread I have held off on installing what appears to be reinstalling GOG Galaxay as a whole per the "update problem link" I get. Is this what I should do? I have opened up the link you gave Draclvr. Does that link install GG as a whole like the link I have posted. Worried about loosing purchased / downloaded games

Following your link I get this:

"Setup has detected that GG is currently running. Please close all instances of it now.".

I have GG running all the time in the Task Bar. Do I "log off" or remove the icon from the Task Bar....or BOTH

Re: Trouble with GOG - 03/15/23 06:37 PM

Hm. My GOG doesn't seem to need updating yet. I don't have GOG as a start up program. Sometimes there is interference with other programs.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 03/15/23 06:50 PM

Orion, this is a known issue with GOG updates. What you need to do is open up Task Manager and close all instances of GOG processes running in the background.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 03/15/23 08:52 PM

Hi Draclvr.

Following your advice, I used Task Manager to remove all GOG related stuff and then used the update link you provided in your earlier post.
But it failed to work for me.
I just got an error message - which I didn't even understand !! shocked

So then I tried using the link I had repeatedly been getting when I booted up my machine (Win 10).

That worked fine. All my GOG stuff was reinstated and Galaxy is again working as it should. All games and the progress of them present and correct.

So I am now wondering why your link didn't work for me ....

Re: Trouble with GOG - 03/15/23 09:48 PM

Very odd indeed. It was a direct link to the update sent to me by GOG support. Who knows! It worked for Hagatha.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 03/16/23 01:53 AM

โ€œOddโ€ is just what I thought myself !! ๐Ÿ™„

Re: Trouble with GOG - 03/17/23 08:06 PM

I went to check out GOG Galaxy yesterday. I have the latest version but it was only showing like 8 of my 60 games11111. I went to GOG.com and logged in and they showed everything. I logged out of Galaxy and logged back in and they were there all but one.. which I am not to worried about. GOG used to be sooooo good but lately it's having problems.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 03/17/23 08:27 PM

I read that all you need to do is a "sync" and all your games should be there. I didn't have to do it, so I don't know for sure!

Re: Trouble with GOG - 03/25/23 06:18 AM

Well today the Galaxy wanted updating and it would not work. Using your (Drac's) link it did once I exited out of GOG Galaxy - I just right clicked and hit exit - I did not go through the task manager to do this.

Thank you!

Edit: Except, now the game that I was playing will not open ???

2nd Edit: Thankfully, a computer restart did the trick. slapforehead

Re: Trouble with GOG - 03/25/23 02:17 PM

And if you did the 6.0 update, they told me that is "supposed" to fix the issues with the update not working. We'll see.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 04/06/23 11:58 AM

Orion, this is a known issue with GOG updates. What you need to do is open up Task Manager and close all instances of GOG processes running in the background.

Hi Draclvr,

I finally got around to fixing this update issue. Turns out I had to log out for install to work. Logged in did not show on Task Manager. Once logged out the install took. I kept getting GOG Galaxy running, close all applications. Logging out did it. Thanks for all your help here in gettng this problem fixed

Re: Trouble with GOG - 04/06/23 01:47 PM

Excellent, Orion! Strange how it worked differently for hagatha and me. I didn't log out at all, just found several instances of it running down in the Background Processes and ended all of them. As this last one is SUPPOSED to fix the issues with the update not working, let's cross our fingers!

Re: Trouble with GOG - 04/06/23 07:08 PM

Orion, all you had to do was open up the hidden task bar and right click the GOG icon to click exit to close the app like I mentioned above. Then you just double click your desktop icon to open the app again (and/or maybe restart your computer). No logging out or in.

Re: Trouble with GOG - 04/07/23 12:07 PM

Hey oldbroad,

I unpinned the GOG startup from the taskbar which removed the icon from my desktop completely. I then sent another .exe from the GOG Galaxy folder to the desktop. Checked it out, still logged in the update would not install. Once logged out it installed. I pinned GG back to the taskbar. Received an update yesterday and went well. If we run into this issue again I will give your suggestion a try first. Thank you

Re: Trouble with GOG - 04/07/23 01:50 PM

It seems to have worked differently for all of us!

Re: Trouble with GOG - 04/08/23 01:52 AM

I had an update today which seems to have gone fine, without having to exit from the app or anything.
© 2024 GameBoomers Community