GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Dreamfall U.K. DVD version on Win 7 64 bit. #1061814
04/05/16 03:44 AM
04/05/16 03:44 AM
J
JoAJ Offline OP
Settled Boomer
JoAJ  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
J

Thought I'd try and replay this game, I tried quite some years ago now on our Win 7 laptop and couldn't get it going. Anyway after playing Dreamfall Chapters (and waiting impatiently for Book 5!) I felt like trying Dreamfall again. I originally played it on XP and even still have a whole lot of saved games on that, however I don't use that machine anymore, my husband does, so want to install it on this machine. It does install O.K. but then won't actually play, just get that message about Windows requiring signed drivers. I've read heaps of posts regarding other people trying to get it to go with the same message, some say there is a patch to get rid of Starforce but others say that with the UK DVD version you don't need to do that. also I did download a starforce removal patch but it went through my whole machine two or three times and said there was no Starforce to be found. Is there anyway that anyone here knows how to get the thing working please?

Re: Dreamfall U.K. DVD version on Win 7 64 bit. [Re: JoAJ] #1061849
04/05/16 10:48 AM
04/05/16 10:48 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Originally Posted By: JoAJ
I did download a starforce removal patch but it went through my whole machine two or three times and said there was no Starforce to be found.

You've misunderstood what that StarForce removal patch is for.
It's not a NoCD or NoDVD to get a StarForce-infected game running.
It's for removing StarForce drivers from you computer after playing a StarForce-infected game (because the drivers have been known to conflict with other copy "protections" and reported to slow down CD/DVD write speed, and uninstalling the game doesn't install the StarForce drivers, etc.)

StarForce will not install at all on Vista, Windows 7, 8, 10.
So of course the StarForce removal tool won't find any StarForce drivers. Your version of Windows has already protected itself.

The DVD version of Dreamfall will not play unless StarForce is installed and working properly.
The latest version of Windows StarForce can run on is XP.
And a StarForce-infected game cannot run without StarForce (unless you can find a working NoCD or NoDVD for that particular game)

What you'd need is a NoCD/NoDVD crack to remove StarForce from the game (not from your computer). Unfortunately I don't know of one for the DVD version.

If you want to replay the game, you'll have to re-purchase it from a download site like GOG or Steam.

Re: Dreamfall U.K. DVD version on Win 7 64 bit. [Re: JoAJ] #1061888
04/05/16 06:14 PM
04/05/16 06:14 PM
J
JoAJ Offline OP
Settled Boomer
JoAJ  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
J

I probably didn't explain myself properly Jenny, but thanks for your reply. Anyway, I assumed Dreamfall was supposed to play just fine on Win 7 because it's in the "Games that play on Win 7" part of the Glitches, Bugs and Patches thread. Also I've read posts on the Net where people have got it to play. Certainly have no intention of paying for a game twice over and from other things I've read on the Net I assumed that the reason I couldn't get it to play was because of Starforce or something similar. Obviously I was wrong there. Oh well, guess it's one game that I won't play again - which I find darn annoying, unless I can find some way of getting around things - really don't want to play it on the old XP computer, my husband and I used to rather fight over that, both wanting to use it at the same time! LOL

Re: Dreamfall U.K. DVD version on Win 7 64 bit. [Re: JoAJ] #1061896
04/05/16 07:44 PM
04/05/16 07:44 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Several people contributed to the Windows 7 and Games subject. I looked on page 7 of the thread and it was Collector who reported that he played Dreamfall with no issues. Collector writes installers for old Sierra games so they can be installed and played on newer computers.

As I understand it, it depends on which version of Starforce is trying to be installed. If the version is 5.5 or above, it will install on Windows 7. There are such things as driver updates for Starforce. I guess it all depends on whether you want to infect your computer with Starforce copy protection.

http://www.star-force.com/support/users/windows7/

Jenny may have more up-to-date information on this issue. I haven't played any of the Dreamfall games - is this one Dreamfall, The Longest Journey? If so, GOG does have it for $14.99 with no Starforce on it. I guess it all depends on how far you want to go to play the game!

Once again, weeds are my life!
Re: Dreamfall U.K. DVD version on Win 7 64 bit. [Re: JoAJ] #1061904
04/05/16 08:56 PM
04/05/16 08:56 PM
J
JoAJ Offline OP
Settled Boomer
JoAJ  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
J

Thanks for your replay Draaclvr but I downloaded a NoCD patch and it's now playing perfectly - and without having to have the DVD in it either. So pleased as it's years since I've played the game. Didn't want to replay TLJ though as I've replayed that so often that I feel as though I know what's coming all the time.

Re: Dreamfall U.K. DVD version on Win 7 64 bit. [Re: JoAJ] #1061910
04/05/16 10:12 PM
04/05/16 10:12 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Sweet! It's always like seeing an old friend when you play a favorite old game.

The Dreamfall, The Longest Journey I was looking at was not the old The Longest Journey. This is the description. Just wondered if it was the game you were talking about.

Quote:
Casablanca, 2219 -- Zoë Castillo is, at first glance, a very normal young woman, but she is about to get involved in a conspiracy that spans parallel worlds and hundreds of years. Something is affecting the world -- static interference is disrupting technology, causing Zoë to see visions of a ghostly presence that is inhabiting a black house in a wintry landscape.

Re: Dreamfall U.K. DVD version on Win 7 64 bit. [Re: JoAJ] #1061920
04/06/16 02:35 AM
04/06/16 02:35 AM
J
JoAJ Offline OP
Settled Boomer
JoAJ  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
J

Same game, my DVD is the UK one says it's from 28/4/06 and it came out some time after The Longest Journey. Same story as what you just quoted according to the manual I have right here that came with the DVD. Think some of these games came with more than one DVD from what I've read on the Net and this one was put out by Empire Interactive and labelled on the cover Dreamfall The Longest Journey, certainly not TLJ - I have both games right here.

Re: Dreamfall U.K. DVD version on Win 7 64 bit. [Re: JoAJ] #1061951
04/06/16 09:31 AM
04/06/16 09:31 AM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Offline
Draclvr  Offline
True Blue Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Both of the TLJs were listed and it seems the first on came out in 2000 - I hadn't remembered it was that long ago! So glad you got your Dreamfall running, but now we know it is also available at GOG. I have purchased several games from them that I have on disk, but that just won't play on new systems. It's so nice to have our "good old games" kept alive for us.

I got the remastered Grim Fandando and had even more fun with it than the first time. I've been reading in the Adventure Games forum that a remastered Day of the Tentacle is also out. What fun to play these old favorites on new computers.

Re: Dreamfall U.K. DVD version on Win 7 64 bit. [Re: JoAJ] #1061969
04/06/16 11:40 AM
04/06/16 11:40 AM
southeast USA
Jenny100 Offline
Jenny100  Offline
Sonic Boomer

southeast USA
Glad you managed to find a NoCD that worked for the game.
I'm curious whether your game actually used SecuROM and not StarForce. The only NoCD I found was for SecuROM.

Re: Dreamfall U.K. DVD version on Win 7 64 bit. [Re: JoAJ] #1062027
04/06/16 06:32 PM
04/06/16 06:32 PM
J
JoAJ Offline OP
Settled Boomer
JoAJ  Offline OP
Settled Boomer
J

Hi guys,

Jenny I had a look at the install and clicked the part where it says Protect exe. and in details it does StarForce(r). I can give you the link for the NoCD that I used if you or anyone wants it, just wasn't sure if it was something that I should post here! LOL

Draclvr, Yeah I've thought of buying the remastered version of Grim Fandango but haven't been very sure if I want to replay it at the moment, think I've the original disc here somewhere or other but never did play Day of the Tentacle - maybe one day soon though.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (curly, 1 invisible), 466 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users