GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1140218 - 01/31/18 10:20 PM Re: New Casual Game List? [Re: 8dognight]
Chief Offline
Staff
Adept Boomer

Loc: Québec
Good for me. thumbsup

#1140221 - 01/31/18 10:49 PM Re: New Casual Game List? [Re: BrownEyedTigre]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
Sounds like we have a plan! We will get this implemented! Ana wave

Fantastic !! And thank you !! hamster

And if the list can be kept by title in alphabetical order, we could easily see if a game we might wish to add is already there (?) smile

#1140242 - 02/01/18 08:06 AM Re: New Casual Game List? [Re: 8dognight]
8dognight Online   content
Settled Boomer

Loc: deep south
Mad, that would be nice but it's more work. I thought alphabetization avoidance was the point here.

#1140244 - 02/01/18 08:37 AM Re: New Casual Game List? [Re: 8dognight]
colpet Online   content
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Orillia, Ontario, Canada
The idea of a Recommendations thread appeals to me too. I haven't been playing many PC games lately, and have a bunch of credits to spend. Now I find myself sifting through this forum and cross-referencing to the BF reviews to see if I might like the game. Very tedious, when all I want to know is if it has challenging puzzles, or a unique spin like the Green Moon games.

#1140245 - 02/01/18 08:59 AM Re: New Casual Game List? [Re: 8dognight]
BrownEyedTigre Online   happy
The Sassy Administrator PR Liaison
Sonic Boomer

Loc: In the Naughty Corner
Mad, I can not reorder the post in alphabetical order and it would require someone to physically add the titles to the first post with every addition. The weight of that would fall on Marian's shoulder, because I honestly have no more room on my plate and I don't expect her to do it either. We will see how much work it would entail and if it's feasible to maintain that way.

There is always a way to check if something has been said about a game by searching the forum.

Also, more than one referral/review for a game is to be encouraged! The more the merrier!

#1140247 - 02/01/18 09:13 AM Re: New Casual Game List? [Re: 8dognight]
Settled Boomer

What follows is a rough draft of my impression of what we're talking about. The paragraph says what I like about a particular game and mentions why I think a few people won't. To get a feeling for the goal, I ask if this is the kind of brief statement we're considering?

Legacy Tales: Mercy of the Gallows: The artwork uses real historical settings, and the play is very much like a regular adventure game. Mercy of the Gallows has a pleasingly retro look and was obviously made with lavish attention to historical detail. The downside is that to move forward, you must find 10 gold coins in the environment, not in a separate screen, and a few of those coins are blooming hard to see. I had to use hints several times. This didn’t bother me because I usually dislike HO tasks in any form; however, I understand that some players have very high standards about ever hitting the hint button when looking for hidden objects.

Edited by 8dognight (02/01/18 09:14 AM)

#1140253 - 02/01/18 09:37 AM Re: New Casual Game List? [Re: 8dognight]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Originally Posted By: 8dognight
Legacy Tales: Mercy of the Gallows: The artwork uses real historical settings, and the play is very much like a regular adventure game. Mercy of the Gallows has a pleasingly retro look and was obviously made with lavish attention to historical detail. The downside is that to move forward, you must find 10 gold coins in the environment, not in a separate screen, and a few of those coins are blooming hard to see. I had to use hints several times. This didn’t bother me because I usually dislike HO tasks in any form; however, I understand that some players have very high standards about ever hitting the hint button when looking for hidden objects.

Here are some other things you might mention.

Puzzle difficulty? Drop dead easy? Medium? Hard? Problem understanding the goal?

What types of puzzles?

How intrusive is the game with popups and slide-ins?
(SE may be very different from CE here)

Does the game use Dexterity sequences? If so, how many and do they have a skip?

Ridiculous hidden objects? -- like toasters and mobile phones in a game that's supposed to take place in the 1500's.

Are colors fairly natural or are they bizarro combinations of blue and magenta?

What style of hidden objects? I actually like the more traditional lists, or put the objects back, because there is more than one object you can work on at a time. What I dislike is one-at-a-time types where only one object is actually available to find. Some games are so bad that I've had to use the Hint for almost every object.

Voice acting -- good, OK, bad, absent. I prefer absent over bad. It bothers me when a character has a completely inappropriate voice -- like California girl voice for character in the 1500's. I don't expect an actual recreation of 1500's speech, but leave off the modern slang.

Maybe other people have things they look for (or avoid) in a game and could suggest more.

#1140257 - 02/01/18 09:56 AM Re: New Casual Game List? [Re: 8dognight]
Settled Boomer

Suggestion: Jenny 100, make a numbered list/template of points to hit that can be copied and filled in. Emphasize that all or even a majority of the points don't have to be covered. If the process is too time consuming or complex, people will quit doing it.

#1140260 - 02/01/18 10:03 AM Re: New Casual Game List? [Re: 8dognight]
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
I just posted the stickied thread for the casual game list.

Thank you in advance to all who participate. wave

#1140269 - 02/01/18 11:42 AM Re: New Casual Game List? [Re: 8dognight]
Settled Boomer

Please, go look at my review in the sticky. I took Jenny100's preferences into account and lengthened the statement. I only added the date because I remembered it. Overall, I think the review is about twice as long as thoughts on a game need to be in order to be useful; however, when looking at an entry I really want to see a hair more than "enjoyed this" or "long and complicated."

Edited by 8dognight (02/01/18 11:46 AM)

#1140271 - 02/01/18 11:53 AM Re: New Casual Game List? [Re: 8dognight]
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
That looks good to me, 8dognight. And I agree with you about ideally wanting something more than, "I enjoyed this."

I can always add to my initial post in the thread if need be, stating the kind of information that would be most helpful when submitting a review/recommendation.

#1140274 - 02/01/18 12:23 PM Re: New Casual Game List? [Re: 8dognight]
Jenny100 Offline
Sonic Boomer

I think it's fine.
A list would also be OK.
Anything that lets the reader know what sets the game above most of the rest.

#1140281 - 02/01/18 01:54 PM Re: New Casual Game List? [Re: Jenny100]
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Right ....

I didn't realise a "mini review" with each game listed would be a requirement.
(I doubt I would have the time, myself.)
But obviously I can see the merit yes

And if a "list" format ... Surely the person doing the listing could manage to place their entry in its alphabetical place. Not expect a Moderator to do it for them slapforehead

#1140283 - 02/01/18 02:04 PM Re: New Casual Game List? [Re: Jenny100]
Jenny100 Offline
Sonic Boomer

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
I think it's fine.
A list would also be OK.
Anything that lets the reader know what sets the game above most of the rest.

Just to be clear, the "list" I was talking about in my above post was a "list of features" by the reviewer rather than a full review with complete sentences.

I didn't mean I expected every person's entry to be alphabetized and added to a "list" in the original post by Marian or Ana.

#1140285 - 02/01/18 02:21 PM Re: New Casual Game List? [Re: 8dognight]
Settled Boomer

I think a list with even a phrase about each game on that list would be grand. In fact, when I finish my list, I'll edit in the sticky to reflect that.

Edited by 8dognight (02/01/18 02:22 PM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BrownEyedTigre, Marian 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
9 registered (curly, 8dognight, rmelone, BrownEyedTigre, dorish, colpet, manxman, Tally Ho, misslilo), 38 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Winx, mamalucci74, redflaregraf, Dionous_Games, Littlelady1
8985 Registered Users