GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1140696 - 02/05/18 05:52 PM Re: Internet Security Alert Code...issue [Re: rmelone]
Creeping_Doom Offline
Settled Boomer

Originally Posted By: rmelone
Actually those 1,000 problems happened on my laptop when I installed Malwarebytes to try to fix a Windows 10 update problem.

My desktop, where I'm having this Security Alert problem, had zero problems found when I ran Malwarebytes.

As you can imagine changing my email from Yahoo, which is my main email, would pose some problems but it is
something to consider. But then it becomes another problem that wasn't fixed on my computer - which can be
frustrating.

I'm still wondering what you think - good or bad - about taking advantage of the Spectrum offer to install
McAfee Security Suite.

If I do reinstall Windows 10 - and I do have the disk that came with the PC - is there anything I should be
aware of to do or not do during the installation or is it pretty straight forward?

Thanks,

Robert

McAfee , to put it bluntly , sucks out loud ! If you install another antivirus , Avast . Avast can do a boot scan , & their detection rates are consistently high . Windows Defender , while improving , doesn't perform as well as Avast . I think Drac is correct , & that this is a piece of malware/virus that has buried itself in the boot files , & for whatever reason , does nothing until you decide to open your email . Before doing a boot scan , I would , at least temporarily , disable Windows Defender , & turn off/delete any system restore points . I say that , because some viruses & malware like to "reside" in system restore . A switch from Yahoo email would probably be a good idea as well . As for a Windows reinstall , if you can , back up any important files (documents , pictures,etc.)beforehand . The process is pretty straightforward .

#1140700 - 02/05/18 06:54 PM Re: Internet Security Alert Code...issue [Re: rmelone]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Back up anything you want to keep before reinstalling Windows. Don't try to "install over" a previous infected installation. You want to start clean.

#1140702 - 02/05/18 07:00 PM Re: Internet Security Alert Code...issue [Re: Jenny100]
Creeping_Doom Offline
Settled Boomer

Originally Posted By: Jenny100
Back up anything you want to keep before reinstalling Windows. Don't try to "install over" a previous infected installation. You want to start clean.

Agree 1000%

#1140709 - 02/05/18 07:39 PM Re: Internet Security Alert Code...issue [Re: rmelone]
Draclvr Offline
Hints & Glitches forum Moderator
Adept Boomer

Loc: In Missouri near St. Louis
Double agree 1000%!!

But again, is this a Windows 10 operating system disk or a restore disc? It will make a difference on how you approach this if you decide to do it.

#1140715 - 02/05/18 08:33 PM Re: Internet Security Alert Code...issue [Re: rmelone]
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Michigan
"If I do reinstall Windows 10 - and I do have the disk that came with the PC - is there anything I should be
aware of to do or not do during the installation or is it pretty straight forward?"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1).Backup documents, favorites, and pictures on flash drives and you will be happy.
2).Unplug all external stuff except mouse, modem, and keyboard, then plug them back in one at a time after windows is done.
3).Have windows code ready in case you are asked for it.

#1140746 - 02/06/18 08:41 AM Re: Internet Security Alert Code...issue [Re: rmelone]
rmelone Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Kingston, NY USA
It's a full Windows 10 installation disk.

The odd thing is, and I could be wrong on this, but the problem pops up even though I'm not in the
process of opening or looking at mail. It's almost as if - and I know this sounds strange - that
something just randomly interjects itself into Yahoo mail.

I'm going to see if I can get a better handle on that as that might be a clue...or not as to what is
causing this problem.

Robert

-Dr. Seuss

#1140759 - 02/06/18 11:05 AM Re: Internet Security Alert Code...issue [Re: rmelone]
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
When I Google for
Yahoo Mail Internet Security Alert Code:

I find several forum posts from people getting the "Internet Security Alert Code:" only on Yahoo and no other website they visit.

Here are a couple of examples
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1198782

https://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Account-security/Security-Alert-Virus/td-p/311889
https://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Account-security/Security-Alert-Virus/td-p/311889/page/2

Did you try using an adblocker like AdBlock Plus or uBlock Origin like I suggested?

One person said uBlock Origin worked better than AdBlock Plus for this problem.

I assumed you'd tried this, but if you haven't it's the first thing to try.

If Yahoo is running infected javascript ads, as many people suspect (and which has happened repeatedly in the past), reinstalling Windows is not going to help you.

#1140768 - 02/06/18 12:07 PM Re: Internet Security Alert Code...issue [Re: rmelone]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

I also assumed Robert had tried using an adblocker like Adblock Plus as you suggested earlier. As I said earlier, just staying away from Yahoo is something I've implemented for one person.

#1140777 - 02/06/18 02:29 PM Re: Internet Security Alert Code...issue [Re: rmelone]
rmelone Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Kingston, NY USA
I just activated AdBlock Plus in Chrome - let's see what happens.

If that doesn't fix the problem I'll try uBlock Origin. I like to try one attempted fix
at a time.

The reason I hesitated installing either of the utilities was that they both indicated they could
make some changes to web sites, so we'll see.

Robert

-Dr. Seuss

#1140778 - 02/06/18 02:43 PM Re: Internet Security Alert Code...issue [Re: rmelone]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

Yes, they do make changes to websites! They stop their ads and scripts from popping up! I love AdBlock Plus.

#1140843 - 02/07/18 01:58 PM Re: Internet Security Alert Code...issue [Re: Draclvr]
Creeping_Doom Offline
Settled Boomer

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
Yes, they do make changes to websites! They stop their ads and scripts from popping up! I love AdBlock Plus.

Privacy Badger also . Good combo , those two .

#1140873 - 02/07/18 09:27 PM Re: Internet Security Alert Code...issue [Re: rmelone]
Geo Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Michigan
Have you ever heard of-Advanced SystemCare Pro 11?
If so is it good?

#1140876 - 02/07/18 10:10 PM Re: Internet Security Alert Code...issue [Re: rmelone]
Draclvr Offline
Adept Boomer

I used to hear nightmare stories about Advanced SystemCare... It may have been improved since then.

The Malware Response Team at Bleeping Computer doesn't think much of it...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/...od-or-not-good/

#1140897 - 02/08/18 09:38 AM Re: Internet Security Alert Code...issue [Re: Draclvr]
Creeping_Doom Offline
Settled Boomer

Originally Posted By: Draclvr
I used to hear nightmare stories about Advanced SystemCare... It may have been improved since then.

The Malware Response Team at Bleeping Computer doesn't think much of it...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/...od-or-not-good/

Makes two of us , the horror stories . Too many other pieces of software available , both free & paid , that do a much better job .

#1141261 - 02/11/18 02:13 AM Re: Internet Security Alert Code...issue [Re: rmelone]
lakerz Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Los Angeles, CA. USA
My mom is having this problem happen on her computer. It also pops up when accessing yahoo home page from time to time. I install ad-aware, but maybe I will try removing that and using ublock origins instead. Or can both be used at same time? I will have to apologize to her, as I kept thinking she was clicking on a link that led to the site hosting this scam. Now it looks like it is a weird yahoo thing.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Draclvr, Jenny100 

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
9 registered (venus, Sherlock, BrownEyedTigre, gymcandy1, family, Marian, Winfrey, flotsam, CanukDenis), 207 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Debcon, lucebend, Lethal_Angel, AustriaGame24, 1madmouse
9042 Registered Users