GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
The Adventure Shop Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#117261 - 03/08/05 04:51 AM Re: Would you play a game without voices?
MyAllyCat Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
Absolutely. Sometimes I just find myself in a mood to just play a nice quiet relaxing adventure game where there is no chattering or loud noises. Rather a nice calm time after a hectic day.

"A cat is a puzzle for which there is no solution."

"Dogs come when they're called; cats take a message and get back to you later."

#117262 - 03/08/05 02:39 PM Re: Would you play a game without voices?
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi smile

Something to consider might be that the "developer" is a newie and so possibly can't afford to give us an all singin' all dancin' "everything" game first time around ??
[I've no idea how these things are costed up.]

But if we all buy the game - thus giving financial as well as moral encouragement - maybe next time round we WILL get voices ??

Just a thought laugh
[One of those few rare ones wave

#117263 - 03/08/05 04:39 PM Re: Would you play a game without voices?
Nipomo Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: S.F./Bay Area CA
I am playing Divine Divinity right now and it has a mix of text and voice and it took me awhile to slow down and read the text but now I am use to it. I did think in the beginning my game was broke when it was just text so you may want to explain that right up front to players. I am very curious to play Marrowind and see what it is like to play an all text game.

I have grown very fond of music and ambient sounds and things like different foot falls in different terrain.

I like the quiet Myst type games but lately have been playing 3erd person games and getting use to the chattering, in which case I always have both voice and subtitles on. I use the subtitles to catch dialog that is slurred or hard to understand.

Black Mirror was almost ruined for me because of the bad voice acting but then I got used to it and just considered the main guy to be a little slooow and socially inadept and it worked for me.

Well enough babbling

#117264 - 03/10/05 01:39 AM Re: Would you play a game without voices?
Advpuzlov Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: USA
Since you talked about text and voices that focused my thoughts to that alone. However, I have enjoyed games in which there was essentially no interaction with other characters, except in a few video clips, and in which one wandered about exploring the location and working puzzles. Examples would be MYST and SHIVERS. There was, however scene music which, if well done, makes the game even more enjoyable. I sometimes returned to SHIVERS just to catch the "room music" again.

That doesn't mean there can't be quite a bit of text to read, but it is text found in documents, books, notes, etc., but not text as conversation, although that wouldn't necessarily deter me if there weren't a great deal of it.

#117265 - 03/10/05 05:09 AM Re: Would you play a game without voices?
Tyke Offline
Adept Boomer

Loc: West Yorkshire/U.K.
I would certainly play a game with just text and no voices, after all that is what games were like when I started playing lol

And judging by how busy the 'trading post' is, with people searching for older games, I suspect a lot of gamers would laugh

I recently played 'Other Worlds' that was text and no voices, but I really enjoyed it, as long as it is a good story, it doesn't bother me smile

Sue wave

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
8 registered (GBC, connie, 3dobermans, michele rose, curly, Volkana, Kayc, 1 invisible), 80 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Newest Members
GameFiend, Lubomir, andi6116, razorsedge4444, LUD
8486 Registered Users