GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Black Mirror-Rate it on a Scale #117995
11/03/03 08:47 PM
11/03/03 08:47 PM
Southern Wisconsin through Nor...
DBK Offline
Addicted Boomer
DBK  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Southern Wisconsin through Nor...
Looks like I'm going to have to get this one! Sounds wonderful. happydance

Did I see a little "slider puzzle" in one post though? eek

Dawn B.
Re: Black Mirror-Rate it on a Scale #117996
11/03/03 10:19 PM
11/03/03 10:19 PM
USA
looney Offline
Addicted Boomer
looney  Offline
Addicted Boomer

USA
Holy Cow! eek Somebody please tell me this gets better!!! I am almost done with Chapter 1, I know this because I had to look at a WT to see what the heck was wrong! I talked to everyone till there was nothing left to say, I looked at every painting, every object, etc etc... Turns out that I clicked on a locked door, but I didn't click twice, I mean, once you hear "it's locked" the logical conclusion would be to go and find a key or some way to get it open...never thought to keep hitting the door!! rolleyes I find it ridiculous that you have to click on everything so many times before you actually get a trigger to move on! And can we talk dialog? I'm finding it so mind-numbing [img]http://www.ordnance.org/smiles/images/gifs/web%20smilies/faint.bmp[/img] that I nodded off twice in the four hours that I played! I actually nodded off!! The accents are bad enough, but all the dialog is delivered so monotonous and so monotone that I find myself wanting to skip it altogether and go on a hunt to find a puzzle! Which, of course, I can't...

I see that everyone is rating this as high as possible, and I have 2 questions! Why? and does it get better? Am I too quick to judge? It does get better right??

Sorry to go on and on like this, but I don't ever recall a game that had me nodding off! Frustrated but never falling asleep! [img]http://www.ordnance.org/smiles/images/gifs/web%20smilies/yikes.bmp[/img]

So all you BM lovers, please tell me it gets better, and that's why you love it!?

Sorry to vent, but hey! Enquiring minds wnat to know! lol

Thanks! wave

Banana phone!
Re: Black Mirror-Rate it on a Scale #117997
11/03/03 11:22 PM
11/03/03 11:22 PM
gatorlaw Offline
Adept Boomer
gatorlaw  Offline
Adept Boomer

Actually I don't recall clicking on it twice. Hmm

Anyway - this just may not be your kind of game. For any given game that many people like - there are also those who just don't get the same thrill. I liked Shivers alright - but never got into it that much and lots of people love this game.

Black Mirror has a slower pace in many places, lots of walking around looking at things, talking to people. You really won;t get all the plot threads unless you read all the material that pops up in the game. There are plenty of people who find this laborious rather than fun.

One thing about the voices - I suppose to me Samuel was like a classic British horror movie star - like Christopher Lee - so his voice delivery felt right to me. Plus he is always popping some kind of meds for his "headaches" so I figured he was a bit numbed by that and events. The plot does get much more intricate, ypur character has more to do and more challenges to interact with. There are also many more places to go as things progress. I did get a little impatient waiting to get out of that house the first time and go exploring.

Maybe when you get the map opened up - the game will pick up for you. smile

Re: Black Mirror-Rate it on a Scale #117998
11/03/03 11:56 PM
11/03/03 11:56 PM
Kansas City, Missouri, USA
girlgeek Offline
Addicted Boomer
girlgeek  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Looney,

ABSOLUTELY do NOT give up on this game, Hun! I thought the EXACT same thing right at first, and just wanted out of that castle and its grounds! LOL It really DOES get better as you begin to feel, "Hmmm....something is amiss here." Once the map opens up and you have other areas to go to...there's more to do and find out. The story kind of unfolds bit by bit, I think. I'm in chapter 3 and NOW....I'm completely hooked. Unless you just don't like adventure games...PERIOD...I can't imagine that you wouldn't come to treasure this game.

I would certainly say...stick to it. Some interesting things are going to happen. Oh yeah...that reminds me of a spoiler I need to post to ask the board members who have played up through chapter 3 a question! Thanks!

PLAYING ON PC: World of Warcraft...nothing else...there is no need for ANY other game when you have THIS one to play!! LOL
Re: Black Mirror-Rate it on a Scale #117999
11/04/03 02:40 AM
11/04/03 02:40 AM
Indiana
Bryansmom Offline
Addicted Boomer
Bryansmom  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Indiana
I would give the game a 9.5. I would give it a 10, but it was a little too linear in some ways. I didn't like it when I knew that I needed an item for a task that was coming up, but I wasn't allowed to pick it up until I went back to it a few times and the game decided it was time. I am also holding back a half point because I'm just mad that I wasn't allowed to explore a spooky nursery! lol The door was never unlocked (I will say this to spare all of you the torture of trying to open that blasted door 500 times, like I did). Other than that, the game was everything I love in an adventure game. I would suggest, though, that the game be played with earphones (you can pick up a very inexpensive set at Walmart or a similar store for very little money. Mine came from a very cheap radio with headset that cost less than $10, including the radio!), because the sounds are so much more effective that way. Also, I would play in a dark room, because the lighting is so wonderful (especially during thunderstorms in the game) and because it's just creepier that way! This one is on my keeper shelf for all time, and I would even keep an older computer just to play it (as I did with Amber).
Happy gaming,
Beth

What lies behind you and what lies before you are tiny matters compared to what lies within you.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Re: Black Mirror-Rate it on a Scale #118000
11/04/03 10:20 AM
11/04/03 10:20 AM
Virginia
popcorneater Offline OP
Adept Boomer
popcorneater  Offline OP
Adept Boomer

Virginia
Looney, :kiss:
Ha! I know the problem, you little rpger you! lol
Adventures seem slower because until you solve whatever you cannot move onto something else.
I agree with almost everyone, give it a shot and just realize that some things move slower. Example: try right mouse click on something after left mouse won't work, that took me forever to remember.
I gave it a 9 rating for all the reasons I listed, but like Bryansmom, the constant walking back and forth and waiting for time to pass irked me; but the story line was so good I was bound to find out the end.
It is worth the sweat and tears-honest.
But, if you're nodding off-maybe you need to put it aside until you're ready for an adventure-hint, hint. wink
Have fun at whatever you decide.
I will share this with you, I tried to play Post Mortem after playing Zanzarah and DD and just could not do it, I tried so hard. But nope I needed a faster pace and so Morrowind was born into my life
Once I had that out of my system I had this game and I loved the hours I put into it.
Ingie laugh

playing DS2, Oblivion and WoW
Re: Black Mirror-Rate it on a Scale #118001
11/04/03 01:24 PM
11/04/03 01:24 PM
girlgeek Offline
Addicted Boomer
girlgeek  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Well, Looney...popcorneater has a point! This game, like MOST adventure games, is NOT Diablo II: Lords of Destruction Online (and THAT is a SLOW-paced game for ITS type TOO)! LOL

You really have to be in the mood to, say...read a book...to be able to get into an adventure game, I think. Adventures are really interactive books where they are spoken and shown TO you rather than you having to do all the reading (without pictures) yourself. They are really story-intensive and exploration-driven. You have to be able to look at a room in the game with the curiosity of a child, I think. "Hmmm....I wonder what's in that drawer? Maybe there will be something I can use!" And then go get into everything (like a two year old would)! That's one of the things I enjoy MOST in an adventure...exploring everything.

I think all adventures, for the most part, are for people who enjoy reasoning, searching, trying to put together the pieces of a mystery, problem, or puzzle...which, like the job of a detective, can be time-consuming and slow going sometimes, BUT...the payoff is GOOD. If you've had to track down the clues, or parts to the solution...when you solve the problem at hand, you get a feeling of accomplishment...which you EARNED.

RPGs and action games, are more like the fast food of gaming...instant gratification... as opposed to having to wait at a five-star restaurant for each course to be served. It depends on what kind of "brain food" you're in the mood for! :-)

PLAYING ON PC: World of Warcraft...nothing else...there is no need for ANY other game when you have THIS one to play!! LOL
Re: Black Mirror-Rate it on a Scale #118002
11/04/03 06:01 PM
11/04/03 06:01 PM
the netherlands
josefien Offline
Addicted Boomer
josefien  Offline
Addicted Boomer

the netherlands
Tell me honestly, is it very creepy?
That's the reason I still didn't buy it. I was waiting for your comment
Beaver

josefien
Re: Black Mirror-Rate it on a Scale #118003
11/04/03 08:07 PM
11/04/03 08:07 PM
Virginia
popcorneater Offline OP
Adept Boomer
popcorneater  Offline OP
Adept Boomer

Virginia
Joseflin, wave
Depending I think on your description of creepy.
It is-hair raising in spots and quite graphic in others. If you need more precise details you can email one of the Mods, er..that's what you're here for-right?(sheepish grin on my face)
Anyway, email that way nothing is given away for others that want to play.
Ingie laugh

Re: Black Mirror-Rate it on a Scale #118004
11/04/03 08:21 PM
11/04/03 08:21 PM
Alaska =^..^=
Alaska Offline
Settled Boomer
Alaska  Offline
Settled Boomer

Alaska =^..^=
thumbsup 9.999999999999 thumbsup Detailed graphics, rich color, and an absorbing storyline that twists and turns. Watch out for what's around the next corner. Don't let it catch ya sleepin'! devil

Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Re: Black Mirror-Rate it on a Scale #118005
11/04/03 09:41 PM
11/04/03 09:41 PM
USA
looney Offline
Addicted Boomer
looney  Offline
Addicted Boomer

USA
Owww! Let go of my arm! lol Okay, you guys have convinced me to keep at it! Maybe the slow pace of conversation and moving is on purpose, to really zap ya when it gets hairy? I did make it to chapter 2 today, just at the start..love that rain storm! wink

BTW, Ingie, I think you could sell icecubes in Alaska! You are very good!!! lol ) of a point! haha!

wave

Banana phone!
Re: Black Mirror-Rate it on a Scale #118006
11/05/03 07:12 AM
11/05/03 07:12 AM
Virginia
popcorneater Offline OP
Adept Boomer
popcorneater  Offline OP
Adept Boomer

Virginia
Way to go Looney, happydance
I think you'll be glad you did; after you visit Wales, check out what girlgeek has to say..but wait until then don't want to give anything away
Spooky, oh yes, my yes-slow of course-MYSTERY
We're waiting for you in RPG land when you're ready to try yet another. evil
Ingie laugh

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 726 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Watcheroftheskys, Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat
9390 Registered Users