GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage    
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#121510 - 02/20/03 09:43 PM Re: Has anyone returned to Zork?
Rowan Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Does it play on XP?

#121511 - 02/20/03 10:51 PM Re: Has anyone returned to Zork?
shrimpnose Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I still remember that cow kicking me out of the barn, cause my hands were too cold! Hello? Picky Picky...
Want some Rye? Fond memories...

Regards,
Jose

#121512 - 02/21/03 01:27 AM Re: Has anyone returned to Zork?
nickie Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
Adept Boomer

Loc: Texas
You too, Tom? I thought I was just weird!

#121513 - 02/21/03 02:32 AM Re: Has anyone returned to Zork?
frazap Offline
Settled Boomer

I've started to play RtZ several times but I just don't know what I'm supposed to do down there in the Great Underground Empire. I've just been wandering around for several hours and done things that can be done but without having any idea why... Not a very good game in my opinion, but I think I'll play it through with a WT someday just to see what happens.

I'm currently reading a novel called The Zork Chronicles. Picked it up used for almost no money and it's quite good. Anybody else read it?

#121514 - 02/21/03 05:41 AM Re: Has anyone returned to Zork?
Quandary Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Fremantle, Western Australia
Hi Peter et al,

Return to Zork was the game that forced us to buy a sound card when it first came out. We had got by with just the PC speaker until then laugh The intro music alone was worth the price of the sound card.

I remember that we finished it in just a few days and we wrote a walkthrough and sent it to PC Format in the UK, but they never used it. When we started Quandary it was the first walkthrough we published and it used to get hundreds of hits a week even back then. Rosemary and I used to joke that we wished we had one cent for every time it was viewed smile

A great game despite being dated now.

Cheers

Gordon
(PS if your bonding plant dies don't despair you can always get another! Hint: read the files in the mayor's office smile )

#121515 - 02/21/03 06:48 AM Re: Has anyone returned to Zork?
Kickaha Offline
GB Special Events Reporter
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Cambridge, England
I was wondering about the bonding plant!

The game has a nostalgic feel to it. There's depth there even if there isn't surface gloss. I'll connect up the external sound system I have to my Mac laptop for the full benefit.

Think it will take me more than a few days!

Regards, Peter.

#121516 - 02/21/03 07:00 AM Re: Has anyone returned to Zork?
JMK Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: California
Hee hee! This one isn't from RTZ but from one of the later ones. "You must find the coconut of Qwendar". Anyone remember that?

Jean

#121517 - 02/21/03 03:30 PM Re: Has anyone returned to Zork?
Brian Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Buffalo, NY USA
I played Return to Zork for the first time about a year and a half ago and it was a found it to be a remarkable game considering it was close to 10 years old. Although I did have to use a slow down utility to help compete the mine maze. I also feel that this is a must play game for any adventure gamer. I just popped it in my XP machine and was amazed that it actually worked!!! I may have to play it again but I'm not sure I want to deal with that bog again as that was one of the worst mazes I have come across ever in an adventure game.

#121518 - 02/22/03 01:58 AM Re: Has anyone returned to Zork?
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Jean.

Yep !! I certainly do remember that coconut happydance

Cheers.

Mad wave

#121519 - 02/22/03 02:27 AM Re: Has anyone returned to Zork?
Hanksdog Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Mandeville, LA
Jean...What were the other two, the coconut of Qwendor, (loved letting that guy die in the whale(hee hee), and the other two???
***on RTZ you must get a living plant which I could only find at the beginning, do not cut it or it will die, you have to pull it up I think ?? There are several actions..but again it is at the beginning, so you may have to go back to the beginning which is what I did...I was so sick of hearing the wizard of Trembal say "HEY, Can anybody hear me"..I wanted to put tape on his mouth. If you go back it doesn't help the plant, another is supposed to appear somewhere but I never could find it? AND I too got kicked so many times for having cold hands I wanted to make hamburger out of that darned cow!!! You want carrots...I'll give you carrots!!! Ain't just a lovely person.
But what were the other two things you had to get in ZGI besides the Coconut of Qwendor??
They need to make the first text games into graphic ones so we can play again....ZORK WHERE ARE YOU ???? With tears of Love in my Eyes...Hanksdog

#121520 - 02/22/03 02:41 AM Re: Has anyone returned to Zork?
Hanksdog Offline
Addicted Boomer

An addition.....
Ms Peepers asking you to "Name a day of the week?????
"I used to have a girl ...she was a witch!"
And of course Molly saying" Peewu..you're just a little ripe."
Oh lord...I just finished playing it again for the 10 milliionth time and my mouth is watering to play it again...I hate you all...of course just kidding...the number one games RTZ, ZN and ZGI althought ZN is a little off base with the rest of the Zorks but it's great in it's own right...ASK ME ANYTHING>>ANYTIME !!!!! COme on I dare ya!! Hanksdog

#121521 - 02/22/03 06:14 AM Re: Has anyone returned to Zork?
kwbridge Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Philly
I guess I will be the voice that says I didn't like this game at all ... maybe if I played it when it first came out but I just played it a couple of months ago. And it wasn't the dated graphics that bothered me - it was the gameplay. I felt that it was directionless and I usually had no idea what to do next and felt it was just one of those games where I had to try everything with everything for no apparent reason. Also, hearing the same phrases over and over really got on my nerves. The only other game that bothered me as much was Normality, which is the only game I didn't bother to finish. I finally finished RTZ with a walkthrough just to see it through and get it finished.

Kim

#121522 - 02/22/03 06:41 AM Re: Has anyone returned to Zork?
Hanksdog Offline
Addicted Boomer

AHA...I remember the other two things from ZGI, #2 "The Cube fo Foundation (looked liked a sugar cube to me) and #3 The skull of Yoruk...do you know how long I tossed and turned in bed trying to remember those two and the Pain it caused Blanche. She wanted to sleep me..No way..I HAD to remember! Hanksdog and a VERY TIRED Blanchedog

#121523 - 02/22/03 09:46 AM Re: Has anyone returned to Zork?
JMK Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: California
Ha, Hanksdog! I tried and tried to remember last night but couldn't, either. Yes, the infamous Skull of Yoruk and Cube of Foundation! I's funny how some things stick in the mind about a game, isn't it? smile

Jean

#121524 - 02/22/03 05:43 PM Re: Has anyone returned to Zork?
Marian Online   content
True Blue Boomer

Loc: near Yosemite in California
Return to Zork, Zork Nemesis, and Zork Grand Inquisitor were all great games and all were totally different--it's quite a feat, considering they were loosely based on the Zork text adventures. It's a shame that Activision is not going to do any more (as far as I know).

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
14 registered (InlandAZ, 3dobermans, Gordon, GuybrushThreepwood, Darlene, BrownEyedTigre, kjos, Ana_Wolf, Iurii, GIOVANNA LARIOU), 100 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Cabb, Veilant, tookiebgirl12, Adam_B, Polikolp
8542 Registered Users