GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#123305 - 06/26/03 08:58 PM Re: Conversation with characters as puzzles?
Scout Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Pandora Directive had a scene where you had to negotiate through the dialouge tree in a specific order otherwise you died. There was no way past that scene until you found the correct order. Much like a visual puzzle where you are required to click your mouse over the correct hotspots in the correct sequence. It was different than the insult sword fighting in MI in that when you restarted the converstation was fixed. I think in MI the game introduced some randomness which was more fun I thought.

#123306 - 06/26/03 09:44 PM Re: Conversation with characters as puzzles?
Raj Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Portland Oregon USA
Count me in with the Monkey Island insult fights, ya bunch of Grog Grubbers!!

But wasn't the language learning part of TLJ a puzzle?

Although I have heard people hated that part (or at least the long monologue which followed), I loved it. It's unusual that any fantasy undertakes the effort to explain how it is that the protagonist travels to another world and everyone speaks English. SO... I liked it just because it made sense (kinda like the miniturization backpack in Outcast... finally solving the riddle of how a character carries around all that inventory!).

But I also liked it as a puzzle. Certainly not something graphical like a slider, but not an inventory based puzzle either. I thought it was interesting.

Now... here's a question... Does "talking" to the monkey in Road to India count?

#123307 - 06/27/03 12:43 AM Re: Conversation with characters as puzzles?
gatorlaw Offline
Adept Boomer

Hey....I forgot about the monkey puzzle in Road to India, sure seems to fit to me. As for monkey combat/ insult sword fighting... one of my most favorite puzzles of all times. Bwah-ha-ha-ha and a dead gamer's chest. laugh

Laura

#123308 - 06/28/03 02:18 AM Re: Conversation with characters as puzzles?
Advpuzlov Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by CNW400:
Most times I dislike conversations in games because the choices given are either not the questions I really have and would want to ask...
Some of the questions given as choices are sometimes rather stupid and not at all pertinent. Of course, the same thing can be true of actions. The obvious thing to do is such and such and you can't do that since some triggering action has not been taken. This happens so much in inventory games. I think it is because of the programming complexities that some rational actions cannot be taken. Maybe with more advanced game-creation programs it will be possible to "act" more naturally in a game. I won't hold my breath. smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
2 registered (michele rose, Redz), 177 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Newest Members
TomaszM, Debcon, lucebend, Lethal_Angel, AustriaGame24
9043 Registered Users