GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
Big Fish Games Homepage    
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#124084 - 11/05/02 07:33 PM Re: When did we as gamers get dumber?
Kathy Salisbury Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mbc841:
Kathy said:
Quote:
I won't give away too much, but it will involve a mad scientist and talking cats
Well I'm ready for this game now ! ! laugh
laugh laugh And I'm ready for "Harvest". It looks great so far!!

#124085 - 11/06/02 12:53 AM Re: When did we as gamers get dumber?
Advpuzlov Offline
Addicted Boomer

KATHY SALISBURY
Quote:
Well, I checked out Byzantine, and one reviewer said that most people feel let down and even a little mad when they find out it's educational. He said most people want to escape from the real world for a little while when they are playing a game.
Well, it ranks 35 in the 2001 GameBoomers Favorite Games List, which isn't too bad for an "edutainment" game. I get the impression that you haven't played it. Play it. You may wind up thinking that you have read the wrong reviews. laugh

#124086 - 11/06/02 10:00 AM Re: When did we as gamers get dumber?
Kathy Salisbury Offline
Settled Boomer

Quote:
Originally posted by Advpuzlov:
I get the impression that you haven't played it. Play it. You may wind up thinking that you have read the wrong reviews. laugh
You're right about that... I haven't played it.
35th is a good rank! I'll try it. Thank you.

#124087 - 11/06/02 10:41 AM Re: When did we as gamers get dumber?
Jenny100 Offline
GB Reviewer Glitches Moderator
Sonic Boomer

Loc: southeast USA
Byzantine is light on the educational part. The game takes place in a historical setting and you visit some famous old buildings, like Hagia Sofia/Aya Sofya. But it is basically an adventure game and a murder mystery.

One of the things you do in the game that I thought was really cool was to be able to visit places that no longer exist. You gather information for this computer thing and it creates a virtual simulation of what the place was really like. You are able to enter the virtual world to find clues to help you solve the mystery.

#124088 - 11/06/02 01:49 PM Re: When did we as gamers get dumber?
Agent Provocateur Offline
Settled Boomer

I thought the hint system in UAKM was excellent. You lost points if you used them.This made you want to get the solution without resorting to the hint button.

But if you were a novice player or really stuck, you knew that the hint ystem would help you out.

#124089 - 11/06/02 02:16 PM Re: When did we as gamers get dumber?
Bastet Offline
Settled Boomer

Hi Kathy!

I'm thrilled with the idea of an adventure with cats!

[b]You MUST read Akif Pirin

#124090 - 11/06/02 02:57 PM Re: When did we as gamers get dumber?
Kathy Salisbury Offline
Settled Boomer

[quote]Originally posted by Bastet:
[b]Hi Kathy!

I'm thrilled with the idea of an adventure with cats!

[b]You MUST Akif Pirin

#124091 - 11/07/02 12:15 PM Re: When did we as gamers get dumber?
chrisdist Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: NY, NY
Syd (it's chris),
We didn't get dumber. It's the bottom line.
In the beginning I'm sure it was a creative process. I just played Full Throttle and I LOVED it. Even with the retro graphics this game had more personality than alot played lately. chris

#124092 - 11/07/02 12:47 PM Re: When did we as gamers get dumber?
mszv Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA (left my bel...
As the thread moved in a different direction, I didn't want to comment. Now that it is back to the original, I'll comment now.

I'm a new adventure gamer (Myst and beyond), so I didn't play the older games. I love the new adventure games. I like how they look, I like the puzzles (as much as I like any puzzles), I like how they sound, and I like the experience of playing them. For me, a game has to have that "special something". There have been many threads written about that here, so I won't go into it. All games don't have to be "hard", whatever that could possibly mean, to be enjoyable.

If we want to keep the adventure game genre alive, we had better not keep looking back to the old days. Hey, I'm 50, I'm a boomer, I love some of the old games (Myst and later, that's old for me), but I hate nostalgia with a passion. If it takes using every little bit of the new technology out there to make the games appealing to new adventure gamers, so be it. Newbies don't want to look at outdated graphics and sounds. If it takes easier puzzles, so be it. I'm an adventure gamer, and I love easy games! If it takes better and better cut scenes, to be it. If it takes putting the games on consoles, so be it. An aside here, Tim Schaefer's (the creator of Grim Fandango) latest game is going to be out on the xbox. If it take supporting both independent "slide show" games, (beautifull graphics, simpler technology, no 3D engines, perfect for an independent developer), and the 3D engines, other goodies of the big budget games, I'm OK with that too. I'm also OK with multiplayer games. I'm going to give Myst Online a chance when it comes out. I prefer no action in an adventure game, but if you have to have a little bit of action to keep the genre alive, heck, I'll try to go with that too.

You know, I suspect that the difficulty of adventure games (puzzles and dialogue) had something to do with the technology of the times. Sometimes I think it was an accident. Games were expensive, so you had to make them last a long, long time. There was only so much you could do with the processors, memory, graphics cards and sound systems of the day. So, hey, hard puzzles and complicated dialogue trees! Now, I know this is an oversimplification, and I haven't done a single bit of research on this, so I could be all wrong. It's just a thought.

blog - http://www.amarez.com, Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/amareze

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
3 registered (oldman, kjos, Lex), 48 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Elentgirl, tiathyme, Mr_Underhill, Lani, Rachissa
8581 Registered Users