GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.
GB Reviews Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games GB Annual Game Lists GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

GB @ witter

About Us
Walkthroughs free games galore Independent Games World of Adventure Patches Game Publishers & Developers GameBoomers Store
The Adventure Shop Big Fish Games Homepage
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#210431 - 10/03/07 01:36 PM Re: Download vs Hard Copy [Re: Becky]
Darleen03 Offline
Adept Boomer

Loc: Northeast NJ
There is only one thing that I feel strongly about.

If you download a game it should be cheaper then the hard copy.
I think packaging & distribution would be more expensive think

Not only that on a download you can't trade at all..

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"

#210699 - 10/04/07 01:28 AM Re: Download vs Hard Copy [Re: Darleen03]
dragonuk44 Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: stoke on trent England
I thought so .Thanks Becky .I think it should be cheaper for a downloaded version .Still prefer the cd so I can trade .I guess sooner or later it will be all down loaded games .

#210711 - 10/04/07 02:42 AM Re: Download vs Hard Copy [Re: Becky]
Mystic Falls Offline
Settled Boomer

I prefer to buy a game in a "box", either CD or DVD, doesn't matter. Like books, I like to see them on the shelf.

#210742 - 10/04/07 04:30 AM Re: Download vs Hard Copy [Re: Sally(MG)]
Drizzt Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Sweden
Even though I have a 100Mbit connection, I would never even think of downloading a game instead of buying a real copy. smile

#211150 - 10/05/07 01:25 AM Re: Download vs Hard Copy [Re: Drizzt]
BaldBob Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: California
I used to think that I would only buy a hard copy of a game. Then my garage, closets, office, living room, etc. started filling with boxes and jewel cases that I had no intention of re-visiting. Though I know alotta folks in here like to do it, re-playing a game reminds me of the definition of insanity. To wit: doing the same thing over-and-over, hoping for a different outcome.

So, I joined Gametap, download games, play them, delete them, and move on. Life is good. I got to play a good game (or not). And I have more room in my house for other useless junk to collect. I also downloaded Half-Life, and I have never regretted not have a dust-collecting box in my way. I played it....it was great....Next!

Like the old TV ad used to say: "Try it, You'll like it." There is just too much great new material coming out there to keep re-playing "Stairway to Heaven" over-and-over, because they just don't write them like they used to.

Bob

#211276 - 10/05/07 10:53 AM Re: Download vs Hard Copy [Re: BaldBob]
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Denmark, Europe
I much prefer dvd-cases or cd-boxes, simply because I like to look at and feel the dvd-box for the game. As I've mentioned before, I really like the dvdbox for Jade Empire and Secret Fiels:Tunguska and other games.

I have downloaded Fate, The Shivah and Morning's Wrath as well as have a an account on Steam. I have chosen Steam since you'r allowed to burn your downloaded to a cd or dvd, and to keep your downloaded bought games on your HDD for very long time.

On top of that many downloaded games also require you to activate them via the internet. What if Still Life and Post Mortem only could be downloaded via the internet. This would have meant that new gamers wouldn't be able to play these games as Microïds Canada went the way of the dodo --- gone...

/Karsten

#211298 - 10/05/07 11:40 AM Re: Download vs Hard Copy [Re: Karsten]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi smile

"Though I know alotta folks in here like to do it, re-playing a game reminds me of the definition of insanity."

Yep, BaldBob !!

That's me for sure .... I much prefer a boxed disk version of a game AND re-play old games all the time .... Explains a lot !! lol lol

Cheers.

Mad wave

#211882 - 10/06/07 03:18 PM Re: Download vs Hard Copy [Re: Mad]
Darleen03 Offline
Adept Boomer

Loc: Northeast NJ
Well......
I went & did it...I downloaded Cleopatra...
I just had to play it...

One thing I have to say...I am glad we have a choice..
I do prefer hard copy, but I just couldn't wait for the DVD release...The download was too tempting lol

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"

#220412 - 10/23/07 10:53 AM Re: Download vs Hard Copy [Re: Becky]
BubbaJake Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Illinois
IMHO, the reasons mentioned above are excellent reasons for getting the cds. Recently, I had serious problems with my full time HP. I'm not sure what happened, but it could have been worse. I got updates to the harddrive with Norton's, and I had to get dvds to burn the updates TO. I needed passwords/codes for everything! I was going crazy getting pssswords changed (Online stuff, a thesis, writing, and all kinds of other passwords) to even think about the casual games I had via downloads. (BTW, Gameboomers, heads up for what you do quietly). I like casual games but had quit the club. Didn't think it was legal to burn them to cd even though I'd paid for them. I have written down and tried to save every password both new and old, but paper is just so much garbage when you can't remember what it means. I do not think I will ever get the info for the downloaded games. In addition to everything else out of pocket, it chills to think, what if the downloads had been $30 a shot...

#220460 - 10/23/07 12:58 PM Re: Download vs Hard Copy [Re: BaldBob]
GuybrushThreepwood Offline
Addicted Boomer

Loc: Lincoln, NE
I think its foolish to release games only for download. Publishers cut their customer base in half by doing that.

#220524 - 10/23/07 03:06 PM Re: Download vs Hard Copy [Re: GuybrushThreepwood]
Rayfer Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Florida
I just looked at the Nancy Drew games. They are 20.00 in store,25.00 if shipped and 25.00 if downloaded! I think if they want to push the idea of downloaded games they should drop there price. To say at least 15.00. They would stand to make more money because of production costs and the resale would stop, forcing others to also pay full price to play.

#220713 - 10/23/07 10:45 PM Re: Download vs Hard Copy [Re: Rayfer]
Mad Offline
True Blue Boomer

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi smile

"the resale would stop, forcing others to also pay full price to play"

People who depend on buying used games because of not being able to find the money for new ones might then have to give up playing - which would be rather sad think

Cheers.

Mad wave

#220780 - 10/24/07 04:39 AM Re: Download vs Hard Copy [Re: Sally(MG)]
Kaki's Sister Offline
Graduate Boomer

Loc: Marlborough USA
I like my games in a box so if I want to put it on a new computer or delete it from the one I have to save space I can do it.

#220875 - 10/24/07 09:48 AM Re: Download vs Hard Copy [Re: Kaki's Sister]
Rayfer Offline
Settled Boomer

Loc: Florida
Hi Mad, I agree,I was just pointing out what would have to happen in order to make everybody happy. most used games sell for about haft the retail price so maybe download them for that. As for making a copy you can burn a copy for yourself as a backup.

Ray

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
Key: Admin Global Mod Mod Staff  )
17 registered (Marian, Gimme, Barb, Ewil02, Draclvr, Jarkeld, GBC, gymcandy1, kjos, Debra), 67 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Moonbat, kooker1957, ctillis, GreenBoat, Spidermna133
8496 Registered Users