GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: auntiegram] #224256
10/30/07 12:33 PM
10/30/07 12:33 PM
F
Fathamburger Offline
Shy Boomer
Fathamburger  Offline
Shy Boomer
F

Well basically art direction means something that is aesthetically pleasing regardless of method or form. For example World of Warcraft despite lower tech graphics is more aesthetically pleasing in cartoony abstract way than more realistic and higher tech games like Everquest 2.

When I say lack of polish, a lot of that goes into what I described above but since I gather most of you shy away from the mainstream type games, they have far more polish in design etc (and budget wink ). Since I generally play everything, I'm going with pure love for the adventure genre right now. Sam and Max and Dreamfall are probably the best ways to describe polish curently, but the main thing is that the majority of adventure games are archaic in design and production value and that's what many people see when they try one who are used to mainstream games. It's a dying genre not necessarily because of all those things though, it is a dying genre because it is appealing mainly to an aging playerbase that remembers them in their heyday, and a genre that is not growing or appealing to new players.

Adventure games are basically amateur hour nowadays, but as I mentioned Blackwell above.. Dave Gilbert could technically be considered an amateur but his games are far tighter and more polished than most of the Myst clone [blip] that makes it to the shelf smile

Last edited by Fathamburger; 10/30/07 12:39 PM.
Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: Fathamburger] #224273
10/30/07 12:55 PM
10/30/07 12:55 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi Fathamburger smile

Whilst I respect that you are entitled to your opinion grin I have to say I totally disagree with you on a lot of counts.
Mainly :
Who plays adventure games, who might be encouraged to play adventure games, how polished adventure games actually are.... that old chestnut "the adventure genre is dead or dying" .... and .... your new "wannabe" chestnut "adventure games are basically amateur hour nowadays".

I too enjoyed the "Glory Days of Adventure" but I am also enjoying very many of the games on offer today thumbsup

And I will welcome more of them bravo

Cheers.

Mad broccoli

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: Fathamburger] #224276
10/30/07 01:02 PM
10/30/07 01:02 PM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
The Sassy Admin and PR Liaison
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
I guess it's good to be me, because I can play the games while being ignorant of what is good or bad graphics. I would not even think of criticising the graphics in Culpa, in fact the only thing I can remember from playing was how unbelievably clear their faces and expressions were. The rest was more than adequate to keep this gamer happy and content.

Posted by fathamburger:

Quote:
It's a dying genre not necessarily because of all those things though, it is a dying genre because it is appealing mainly to an aging playerbase that remembers them in their heyday, and a genre that is not growing or appealing to new players.

Adventure games are basically amateur hour nowadays, but as I mentioned Blackwell above.. Dave Gilbert could technically be considered an amateur but his games are far tighter and more polished than most of the Myst clone [blip] that makes it to the shelf

Ouch. I can't even begin to formulate a response to that except to say that this comes across as a clone statement from any number of gaming sites that cater to those that think the world only revolves around shooters.

I'm sorry you can't relax and enjoy the game for what it is and instead just see what it is not. You are missing out on some simple pleasures.

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #224283
10/30/07 01:35 PM
10/30/07 01:35 PM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
I also agree with Mad, & Ana...

The graphics are beautiful...You can see the expressions in the eyes very well..

As far as I am concerned we came along way since the adventure games of years gone by..

I am totally happy with this game ,and a lot of the others..

Great work to the developers of this game thumbsup

Last edited by Darleen2003; 10/30/07 01:39 PM. Reason: spell

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
"Games Are More Enticing Because Of Our "MaG"nificent Efficient Radiant Site"
Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: Darleen03] #224303
10/30/07 02:02 PM
10/30/07 02:02 PM
Rockford, Illinois
S
sierramindy Offline
Addicted Boomer
sierramindy  Offline
Addicted Boomer
S

Rockford, Illinois
Good or bad graphics are opinions, not facts. I like a lot of so-called "bad" or "poor" graphics because I like that style. Case in point, the old style of pixelated graphics are fine with me!

To love is to be happy with!
Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: sierramindy] #224319
10/30/07 02:31 PM
10/30/07 02:31 PM
oldmariner Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldmariner  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Well it just arrived from Strat 1st and now sits on the pc desk daring me to install it. But I resist!, fearing the oft maligned graphics and it's reported inferiority to F.P.S. games. It is merely another issue of the dying Adventure genre afterall. Though resistance is futile I continue to wait for what I don't know. smile

Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: action9026] #224351
10/30/07 03:46 PM
10/30/07 03:46 PM
near Yosemite
Marian Offline
Global Moderator
Marian  Offline
Global Moderator
Sonic Boomer

near Yosemite
I've only played for a few minutes but the graphics are beautiful. I'm very curious to know how the earliest intro in the game ties in to the rest of the story line, and I see great intrigue ahead.

I also enjoyed the timelines/wall info in the first building where events of past history were outlined; I found them to be quite believable.

And, it's really neat to see so many familiar names in the game manual!! smile wave

Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: BrownEyedTigre] #224569
10/31/07 01:59 AM
10/31/07 01:59 AM
F
Fathamburger Offline
Shy Boomer
Fathamburger  Offline
Shy Boomer
F

Well I guess I've been spoiled by Heavenly Sword cutscenes and TF2 facial animations etc wink I actually like that touch though, the faces are lifeless but the lipsync is pretty cool, I can't tell if it's scripted or generated by reading the waveform (the latter likely, and is pretty impressive). I can't really fault the lack of facial animation though since their minimum spec was targeted to be very low.

I Can't enjoy the game because it's badly designed, bugs or not ,see hint section smile I probably will finish it eventually though, but Sam and Max seems to be carrying the torch single handedly nowadays. Either way I don't think this game deserves the glowing reviews at all. *For an adventure game* Syberia, Still Life/Post Mortem etc yes but this is nowhere in their league so far like the reviews seem to have indicated. JA is especially guilty of over reviewing some adventures which would have been lackluster "back in the day" to try and encourage the genre along but Culpa's praise so far seems really ridiculous even by their standards.

Originally Posted By: BrownEyedTigre
I guess it's good to be me, because I can play the games while being ignorant of what is good or bad graphics. I would not even think of criticising the graphics in Culpa, in fact the only thing I can remember from playing was how unbelievably clear their faces and expressions were. The rest was more than adequate to keep this gamer happy and content.

Posted by fathamburger:

Quote:
It's a dying genre not necessarily because of all those things though, it is a dying genre because it is appealing mainly to an aging playerbase that remembers them in their heyday, and a genre that is not growing or appealing to new players.

Adventure games are basically amateur hour nowadays, but as I mentioned Blackwell above.. Dave Gilbert could technically be considered an amateur but his games are far tighter and more polished than most of the Myst clone [blip] that makes it to the shelf

Ouch. I can't even begin to formulate a response to that except to say that this comes across as a clone statement from any number of gaming sites that cater to those that think the world only revolves around shooters.

I'm sorry you can't relax and enjoy the game for what it is and instead just see what it is not. You are missing out on some simple pleasures.

Ana wave

Last edited by Fathamburger; 10/31/07 02:02 AM.
Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: Fathamburger] #224622
10/31/07 06:26 AM
10/31/07 06:26 AM
Israel
-
-=sinotek=- Offline
Settled Boomer
-=sinotek=-  Offline
Settled Boomer
-

Israel
Syberia wasn't that good. I finished both 1 and 2 and found both to be quiet boring.
As for culpa, it does worth the good reviews it gets. When you first start it you'll probably hate it. But after playing for 20-40 min you will really get into it. The story line has these awesome twists that you would never expect. If you would advance in the game, you'd know what I mean.

The only downsides of culpa are crash and movement bugs (That most are already fixed with the new patch) and the graphics. Let's face it, they're out dated. The facial expression are ok but the rest could really use an improvement. But the good story line makes up for all flaws.

Last edited by -=sinotek=-; 10/31/07 06:32 AM.
Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: -=sinotek=-] #224643
10/31/07 07:21 AM
10/31/07 07:21 AM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
I also find the interface is very interesting...So much to do with the GPS system...Not a bore at all for me..

The game is Vast in territory..I love the halogen TV..

I also think Phoenix...Is amazingly smart..She makes a good cop.

As far as Sam & Max..I have played the cartoon style game..
Thats what I think of the graphics <cartoon>

The graphics in this Culpa game is realistic...

I give culpa three thumbsup thumbsup thumbsupwhich is Great in my book. :ghost1:

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: Darleen03] #224679
10/31/07 08:14 AM
10/31/07 08:14 AM
Stony Brook, New York, USA
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Hi Fathamburger --

I agree with you that "Art Direction" is a rather amorphous term.

I disagree with this, however:

Quote:

At GameBoomers we frequently see new adventure gamers who are just beginning to enjoy gaming and the adventure genre. Often these are not gamers who played the classic adventures and then have gone on to other genres. Often these are gamers who are starting out by first playing a recently released adventure, which they enjoy for its strong story, strong characters, or immersive environments.

The lack of combat or other kinds of explicit violence in adventure games is often a calling card for these new gamers. It's not unusual for these gamers to hail from the vast, relatively untapped hordes of "older" gamers, including the Baby Boomers.

As for new adventure gamers who don't enjoy a game because of its lack of "polish" -- you may have seen that, but I haven't. Usually when I talk to someone who has drifted away from the genre without ever getting "hooked," I hear two complaints.

Either they couldn't get the game to play glitch-free on their computer and don't want the hassle of tweaking it (in this case, in my experience, they are usually trying to install games on their laptops). Or they think that the puzzles are too hard and too obscure. The first problem is a problem for all PC games, not just adventures. The second problem is one that I think should be addressed, either through in-game hint systems or varying difficulty levels -- and I'm seeing more adventure games using one or the other.

It's impossible to think that the adventure genre is dying when dozens of adventures are released every year. At this time of year, adventures seem to be releasing every week. The problem is keeping up with all the releases, not lamenting that there aren't any new games.

Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: Becky] #224781
10/31/07 10:42 AM
10/31/07 10:42 AM
Israel
-
-=sinotek=- Offline
Settled Boomer
-=sinotek=-  Offline
Settled Boomer
-

Israel
The problem with adventure games today is that there are no big companies that want to make them. Most companies that make adventure games are small ones that you only get to know through the game. If EA games or Eidos would make adventure game, for example, it would be awesome.

Most big companies aim for other genre such as FPS or strategy. Adventure games today are not that good tbh. When was the last time you saw a breathtaking graphics in a quest game?

The Adventure Company is the only well known company for adventure games (at least for me) and they are ok. But thats the problem, they are just ok. Today's FPS games are simply amazing (Bioshock, Half life 2 etc). There are no amazing adventure games anymore, just ok ones.

Last edited by -=sinotek=-; 10/31/07 10:43 AM.
Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: -=sinotek=-] #224804
10/31/07 11:07 AM
10/31/07 11:07 AM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Originally Posted By: -=sinotek=-
There are no amazing adventure games anymore, just ok ones.

Sinotek, I'm sorry you haven't found any amazing adventure games. I assure you, I have.

What makes a game "amazing" is different for every player. I am lucky in that I have 2 kids that love gaming and so I see and sometimes play many different genres with them on many different platforms.

One is not inherently better than the other. To each their own. Sometimes, my own is Keepsake on the PC, while at others, it's Baldur's Gate 2 on the PS2 or Hero's on the Box.

I also have to take issue with the statement by Fathamburger that there are no new Adventure game players. I started playing adventure games for the first time 3 years ago and came over to Adventure games from the Xbox and the PS2. I don't think I'm alone in this.

However, as interesting as this debate has become, it has wandered rather a long way from the topic :witch: puppy

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: looney4labs] #224808
10/31/07 11:16 AM
10/31/07 11:16 AM
Israel
-
-=sinotek=- Offline
Settled Boomer
-=sinotek=-  Offline
Settled Boomer
-

Israel
Yeah and again, Keepsake's graphics is pretty bad (And yeah I know it was at 2006, but still). Thats the main problem. All companies can make good story lines, but the problem is the way they execute them.

Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: -=sinotek=-] #224840
10/31/07 12:01 PM
10/31/07 12:01 PM
Texas
nickie Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
nickie  Offline
Grand wizard of high mucky muck
Adept Boomer

Texas
I very much disagree with you - Keepsake is one game that did just about everything right. But as the mods have indicated, this is getting off topic, and I'm only contributing to that and will stop there.
I haven't seen Culpa yet, but it will be interesting to see a game that sparks such feeling, whether positive or negative.

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: nickie] #224879
10/31/07 01:09 PM
10/31/07 01:09 PM
F
Fathamburger Offline
Shy Boomer
Fathamburger  Offline
Shy Boomer
F

well if anything, you guys do give hope that aging graphics isn't necessarily a turn off to everyone smile

Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: Fathamburger] #224898
10/31/07 02:00 PM
10/31/07 02:00 PM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

Hope is good! We're happy to give hope. lol

(I know, I'm still off-topic.)

If Culpa Innata had been developed by Electronic Arts for a more general market, and had full 3D amazingly photorealistic graphics with lots of extra animations, etc. --

Would it also have a WASD control scheme that would alienate the point-and-click adventure gamers?
Would it require a better, faster computer than most of us have, and would there be more glitches to deal with?
Would the puzzles need to be "simplified" for the general audience?
Would the dialogs have been shortened, and the plot "simplified" for the general audience?
Despite all of this, would the action/arcade gamers be attracted to its more leisurely-paced gaming style and thought-provoking themes?

Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: Becky] #224908
10/31/07 02:17 PM
10/31/07 02:17 PM
Canada
Sally(MG) Offline
Settled Boomer
Sally(MG)  Offline
Settled Boomer

Canada
I have mine too, but I'm still playing Wintersonne. <-- me too slow... Now you guys are making me want to abandon Wintersonne and just install Culpa Innata instead. !

Fathambeurger/ aging graphics is a GOOD thing. It means I don't have to plunk down $400 for a better graphics card spend $ on games instead. (The Awakened ran like a snail on this beast) It means that the budget for making those amazing graphics could go towards better voice acting and more time developing story and puzzles.

MinuteGamer
Free flash games, casual game reviews and wts.
Latest: Virtual Villagers 3 cheats
Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: Becky] #224912
10/31/07 02:24 PM
10/31/07 02:24 PM
Israel
-
-=sinotek=- Offline
Settled Boomer
-=sinotek=-  Offline
Settled Boomer
-

Israel
EA can pull off a decent quest game if they'll dedicate themselves to it. Yes, it would require a better PC but thats how everything is today. You gotta move on with the time. It won't take long before all adventure games will require a better PC.
BTW I know people who hate quest/adventure games but they loved Dreamfall. Why? because it had a good visual to it and an amazing story line. Most adventure games have an average graphics with good story lines. That is a shame because it makes the game less attractive to some. That is the major flaw in adventure games today. Most gamers see the not so attractive graphics and they get turned off by it. To some (like you Becky) graphics is not a factor. But to some gamers (Like me) it is.

P.S: Sorry for going off topic again, but I had to reply to Becky . smile

Last edited by -=sinotek=-; 10/31/07 02:25 PM.
Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: -=sinotek=-] #225055
10/31/07 07:30 PM
10/31/07 07:30 PM
Becky Offline
The Medieval Lady
Becky  Offline
The Medieval Lady
Sonic Boomer

lol It's okay, sinotek, I'm going off topic too (well sort of).

I think the conversation here does logically lead to Dreamfall, which I think is the best recent example of a game trying to bridge these issues. If anyone is interested, we can join the Dreamfall thread here.

Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: -=sinotek=-] #225057
10/31/07 07:34 PM
10/31/07 07:34 PM
McClure P.A. USA.
ron.etti Offline
Addicted Boomer
ron.etti  Offline
Addicted Boomer

McClure P.A. USA.
Please let one of the aging old players give his 2 cents.
If these younger players had older Windows 95 computers and
could play the older classic they would see how we progressed
from reading the conversation to organ music,and little square
people .
Then Myst and Gabriel Knight,7th Guest.
We seen the Adventure game evolve to what it is today.
The games were so few we played them over and over waiting
for the next one to come out.
We learned to appreciate all kinds.
It wasn't good or bad it was a ADVENTURE GAME.You took it for what it was...................

Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: ron.etti] #225077
10/31/07 08:09 PM
10/31/07 08:09 PM
Northeast NJ
Darleen03 Offline
Graduate Boomer
Darleen03  Offline
Graduate Boomer

Northeast NJ
Originally Posted By: ron.etti
Please let one of the aging old players give his 2 cents.
If these younger players had older Windows 95 computers and
could play the older classic they would see how we progressed
from reading the conversation to organ music,and little square
people .
Then Myst and Gabriel Knight,7th Guest.
We seen the Adventure game evolve to what it is today.
The games were so few we played them over and over waiting
for the next one to come out.
We learned to appreciate all kinds.
It wasn't good or bad it was a ADVENTURE GAME.You took it for what it was...................

Very Well Said...Thank You.. ron.etti kissy
thumbsup

Last edited by Darleen2003; 10/31/07 08:13 PM. Reason: forgot something

Luv Dar

GameBoomers
Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: Darleen03] #225171
11/01/07 06:38 AM
11/01/07 06:38 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi smile

Naughtily off topic still .... blush .... but ....

"It wasn't good or bad it was a ADVENTURE GAME.You took it for what it was"

I so agree !!

[And good, bad or ugly, and despite their ancient graphics, some of those old adventure games STILL knock the spots off some of what we are offered as adventure games today praise]

Cheers.

Mad devilchili

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: sierramindy] #225230
11/01/07 09:10 AM
11/01/07 09:10 AM
Illinois
BubbaJake Offline
Settled Boomer
BubbaJake  Offline
Settled Boomer

Illinois
Well, I just got to load my copy (which came yesterday) Do you load the patch just in case or what?

Re: OK who has Culpa Innata? First Impressions?? [Re: BubbaJake] #225233
11/01/07 09:13 AM
11/01/07 09:13 AM
In the Naughty Corner
BrownEyedTigre Offline
BrownEyedTigre  Offline
Sonic Boomer

In the Naughty Corner
Bubba, yes, I would load the patch. It fixes things that may make your gameplay more enjoyable.

Happy gaming!

Ana wave

Don't feed the Trolls
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (oldbroad, Kaki's Sister), 239 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users