GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
COMER #88115
04/25/02 01:14 PM
04/25/02 01:14 PM
Sacramento, CA USA
Betty Lou Offline OP
Adept Boomer
Betty Lou  Offline OP
Adept Boomer

Sacramento, CA USA
Comer = one who comes to this place
1998 - Shine Studio
System Requirements:
Windows 95
100MHz Pentium or faster
16M RAM minimum
10MB hard disk space
8x CD-ROM drive or faster
800 X 600 display, 24-bit True Color preferred
640 x 480 display, 16-High Color acceptable
Windows compatible sound device
MULTI-LANGUAGE platform = English and Chinese (manual too)
The CD includes (1) the game and (2) The Making of Comer (in OPTIONS)
(I understand it is also on DVD, have not played it on DVD so cannot comment on installation or play)
A point and click adventure, some say Mystlike, I guess so. Graphics are beautiful, music is wonderful and pleasant and familiar. Movement in the game is easy to accomplish. There is no inventory, if you pick something up you use it right away. Open, Save, Exit in toolbar at top in COMER. Saving games very easy, no problem. I had terrible technical problems, (more later) so once I got it to finally run I played it all the way thru. I was afraid to get out of it and shut my computer down, because it was a lot of work to get it to run.
Story = You are a Comer. Not the first to come to this place. Maybe not the last if you don't discover what the previous comers did and succeed in solving the problem. You will see some famous people and/or their works...one of them speaks to you (in a hologram). You are completely alone here (where ever here is) OR are you? Mmmmmmm. I guess you could call your tasks puzzles, they are not too difficult to solve however. What is that SOUND? Maybe you are not alone?
I used the walkthru from mrbill@aol.net and it is a good thing - see Tech Diff
Technical Difficulties:
Check out my posting of Comer thread April 24 2002 in Glitches, Bugs & Patches
The game was easy to install. I had a great deal of trouble getting it to run. What worked for me I posted in the above thread. It may not work just the same for everyone. I had help from the following places to adjust my computer and be able to play the game:
1. shinestudio.com the FAQ 3 pages
2. Jenny100 here on Gameboomers
3. Mr. Bill's (generic) Trouble Shooting Guide for Games in Windows 95 or 98
4. Mr. Bill himself
There is also a REVIEW by Quandary which may be more detailed than I have written here.
ALSO, I started a NEW GAME and played thru a bit to see how to move around and what to look at/for. I always play with a walkthru and had 2 in front of me, one being from gameboomers. I however used the one from Mr. Bill more completely. If I had not had this one, I would have missed the audio dialogues completely. After hearing a message on a telephone the first time and starting over a second time the dialogues disappeared on me. In Mr. Bills walkthru he has documented every dialogue thoroughly so I did not miss anything and could understand what was going on in the game. Thanks much to Mr. Bill.
All in all, I enjoyed this one. If it was not such a pain to get it up and running I might hang onto it and play it again, this time doing more exploring on my own. If you play it and can hear the dialogue then by all means do not use a walkthru. While the telephone message is not real important the later dialogues are and you will have to dope out what the ancient story behind the game is all about and GOOD LUCK! you will definitely be smarter than I am!
Enjoy. Love, Betty Lou laugh

I am 'the HAT lady"! and "who loves ya BABY?!"
Re: COMER #88116
05/01/02 01:08 AM
05/01/02 01:08 AM
gatorlaw Offline
Adept Boomer
gatorlaw  Offline
Adept Boomer

Betty Lou,

Nice review and I am glad that you picked a game that apparently not many have heard about.

I got this from Hong Kong when it first came out. It is a very beautiful game and definitely not hectic or fast paced. I am sorry to hear that you had such a horrific time getting it installed and running. It loaded well for me on W98 and I had no problems with the game play. I did find the plot thin and it wasn't extremely long - but the puzzles were quite good and unique in many instances. I wish I had paid a bit less - but it is definitely one I plan on revisiting and an excellent independent effort. It was the first effort from a young and talented guy from Hong Kong. He definitely made this as a labor of personal love and spent a great deal of effort trying to get the game out to people.

The coolest thing was all the customs stamps and such from Hong Kong when it arrived. smile

Laura

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (oldbroad), 221 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users