GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Spycraft: The Great Game #88129
05/03/02 11:24 AM
05/03/02 11:24 AM
gatorlaw Offline OP
Adept Boomer
gatorlaw  Offline OP
Adept Boomer

Spycraft: The Great Game

Released by Activision in 1996, Spycraft was an innovative game using an interactive movie format, an internet based side game and resource as well as a great cast.

From the opening introduction by William Colby talking about the reality of what Kipling called: "The Great Game" as contrasted with the recited credo of the CIA - you know you are in for something different.

Imagine that you find yourself on a park bench on a nice spring day in Washington. Suddenly there is a call on your PDA and your whole world is turned upside down.

You are summoned to the Director's office at the CIA and told that the fate of our President and perhaps the entire world may well rest in your hands. Once your team has assembled it is off to "the Farm" for a refresher course in high tech spy gadgets and field operations. However nothing will be easy about this mission - no one is safe and perhaps no one can even be trusted. You learn the hard way with the first of many assasinations that occurs.

As head of Operation Eagle Shield, you will travel the world. You will have at your disposal a variety of high tech tools along with your PDA to try and unravel the conspiracy that is rooted within the agency itself and expands to an internatonal criminal organization run by a union of highly dangerous rogue agents, international terrorists and mercenaries.

In the end - it comes down to your skills and wit in this race for global domination.

Now for the basics. Spycraft loads well on W98 and earlier. You will need to re-size your desk top to 480x640 and make sure that your toolbar is not set to "always on top" The interface is standard point and click. The puzzles in this game are based on using a wide variety of high tech tools along with your PDA and ingame PC. You will use cypher tools, photo doctoring, track named suspects through the use of tagged money and airline reservations. In other words the way that it is done in the real world of counter - espionage. In fact, the game was developed with the input of William Colby: former head of the CIA and Oleg Kalugin, former Major General of the KGB.

At the time the game was released there was an excellent online resource center with another Spycraft related game and links to all the intelligence community agencies. Unfortunately this is no longer available. I mention it just as another indication of the attention to detail and factual diligence with which this game was developed. Even without this resource the game is a lot of fun, extremely immersive and has definitely aged well.

In fact I have realized after this replay that the game was non-linear and there were other ways to get things done as well as a variety of cut scenes I had missed the first time around. So I would add that it has a great deal of replay value.

I am actually trying to figure out how to trigger a location that I have never accessed before in my current game.

The quality of the acting is first rate. I tried to find a list of the cast members - but I am sure that many of them will be familiar to you. I just wish I could recall who exactly they are. smile The locations are varied ranging from Washington to Tunesia, Moscow and even a country garden in England. The music is very unobtrusive, but effective in setting the mood. I really enjoyed the sound effects in the game. Footsteps approaching on a dark street, a sudden shot rings out. Made me jump more than once laugh

I would say that if you are a fan of reality based games, have always had the urge to engage in some cloak and dagger intrigue - then you will enjoy this game very much.

The better news is that you can still get this game and at a reasonable price. I found it available online at CD Access for $14.95.

Go here: [URLhttp://www.cdaccess.com/html/pc/spycraft.htm]Spycraft[/URL]

Well that is about all I can think of at this moment about this great game - shhhhhh I hear someone coming - It may just be the person I have been hunting......

Laura

Re: Spycraft: The Great Game #88130
05/03/02 04:20 PM
05/03/02 04:20 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi gatorlaw.

Great review !!

I really, really wanted to enjoy this game - but found myself totally overwhelmed by "gadgets" frown

I think I have an absolute "mental block" where gadgets /techie stuff abound - even in computer games lol lol

Cheers.

Mad wave

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Spycraft: The Great Game #88131
05/03/02 09:01 PM
05/03/02 09:01 PM
gatorlaw Offline OP
Adept Boomer
gatorlaw  Offline OP
Adept Boomer

I hear you Mad,

This game tries hard to be as realistic to the great game of spying and so it is high tech gadget haven. Definitely not the game to play if you are not into mechanical problems.

I had quite a time with a few of the puzzles myself - until I figured out what to do.

But thanks for reading my review. smile

Laura

Re: Spycraft: The Great Game #88132
05/05/02 03:34 PM
05/05/02 03:34 PM
Florida, USA
Old Rooster Offline
Shy Boomer
Old Rooster  Offline
Shy Boomer

Florida, USA
Very nice job, Laura. I'm glad to see one of my favorite games ever brought to folks attention. Indeed, it's a game I would like to see remade. Glad you played it and shared so well with us. Obsessor

Re: Spycraft: The Great Game #88133
05/09/02 10:37 PM
05/09/02 10:37 PM
Northern New Jersey, USA
kat165 Offline
Addicted Boomer
kat165  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Northern New Jersey, USA
Laura, you're getting to be as bad as Syd!! The way you two dangle these games in front of us... laugh laugh laugh What a great review! You make this game sound incredible. How will I ever hold out until next pay check to get it?

Andy, don't think we're parting ways yet or any time soon. This game sounds fascinating. Thanks for pointing it out to me. I wonder if the game is really that good, or is it just that Laura's enthusiasm is contagious?! This game sounds like alot of fun. I love intrigue and gadgets of all kinds. And we get to use a computer in the game? My idea of heaven. laugh Can't wait to get this one.

Re: Spycraft: The Great Game #88134
05/09/02 10:50 PM
05/09/02 10:50 PM
gatorlaw Offline OP
Adept Boomer
gatorlaw  Offline OP
Adept Boomer

Actually Kat,

The gadgets and all are based on your PDA and PC. You do things like back track trajectory to isolate the position of a shooter. zoom in and catch a picture of him and then cross match him through identi-something to get his ID.

There are plenty of cut scenes too. Also locations that you search for clues and have dialogues with suspects, rogue agents etc. I love all the PC based puzzles though. Since I figured that most of all spy work these days is done in the intelligence lab - it was what made the game real to me. Like I was in The Agency or CSI. BTW I heard that a CSI game was in the making. That will be really cool.

Laura

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (oldbroad, LadyKestrel), 187 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
Darkfallwithin, PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon
9389 Registered Users