GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Toonstruck #88301
08/13/02 10:59 PM
08/13/02 10:59 PM
Michigan
taf4 Offline OP
Settled Boomer
taf4  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Michigan
Toonstruck
Win 95
3rd person cartoon adventure

Having seen mostly negative reviews of Toonstruck I went in with low expectations. However, after finishing I found that I had one of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had with a 3rd person game.

You play Drew Blanc, a cartoonist who gets sucked into his cartoon world and must find a way out. In his cartoon world the forces are good and evil are fighting and in order for drew to make his way home he must help the 'Cutopians' win their battle over the evil Nefarious. The game is split into two parts: the first in which you find parts for a machine (standarad adventure stuff) and the second in which you must escape from Nefarious' castle.

Why I really loved this game is most clearly the voice acting. It is simply the best I have ever heard. Famous actor Christopher Lloyd is the star. The voice of Homer Simpson plays the sidekick and other voices I recognized from the game included persons from Animaniacs and the godfather of adventure games, Tim Curry. The voices give life to the cartoons on the screen, which usually have much more fluid animation than characters we see in other adventure games. Also, I found the humor pretty consistently funny (although parents should take note of the adult nature of the game).

I also liked this game because I am a big fan of easy puzzles. I like to be challenged, but nothing frustrates me more than a ridiculous puzzle with seemingly no logic to it. None of that is to be found here. It is a mid-length game, I would say, even though the puzzles are not too challenging.

Toonstruck ended up being one of the better adventures I have played, so don't let the negative reviews scare you away.

A-

Re: Toonstruck #88302
08/14/02 12:52 AM
08/14/02 12:52 AM
pretzel Offline
Shy Boomer
pretzel  Offline
Shy Boomer

Hi Taf.

First of all, I agree - You should never be let down by a bad review.

Having said that, I want to point out that Toonstruck (together with DarkSeed) mark the bottom of the adventure genre for me.

Normally, I wouldn't follow a good review by a bad remark, but this game was such a huge disappointment for me, that I had to...

I bought Toonstruck exactly for the reason you stated above. The animations looked great. The voice acting was clearly taken very seriously, and when I bought it (close to it's publication date), it had GOOD reviews.

I was very disappointed. I was bored to death.
I think the main problem with this game is that the puzzles are targeted at mature players, while everything else is targeted for small kids. I really wanted to like this game because I love cartoons and this was one of a few cartoon games back then, but I couldn't. It made me irritated and bored.

Still, I am glad you liked it, and hope many more did and will.

Re: Toonstruck #88303
08/14/02 01:00 AM
08/14/02 01:00 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Hi.

Toonstruck for me, doesn't in all honesty deserve up there with "The Classics"...but I have to admit to liking it more each time I play it smile

Who knows why ??

Certainly not me wave

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Toonstruck #88304
08/14/02 01:30 AM
08/14/02 01:30 AM
gatorlaw Offline
Adept Boomer
gatorlaw  Offline
Adept Boomer

Great review Taf4,

I agree with you about the vocal talent for this game. I love Christopher Lloyd. I bought the game - primarily because of his involvement.

My problem with the game (and it's a huge hating kind of problem) was the character of Fluffy Fluffy Bun bun. I detested the character so much -I let that spoil the game for me. Well not entirely - but even now - just thinking of that weepy wabbit makes me start grinding my teeth.

But the game has all the good points you mentioned. Hmmm maybe I shouldn't have crushed, mutilated and drop kicked the game. Might have liked it much more on a replay. Darn!

Laura

Re: Toonstruck #88305
08/14/02 11:01 AM
08/14/02 11:01 AM
Michigan
taf4 Offline OP
Settled Boomer
taf4  Offline OP
Settled Boomer

Michigan
lol lol gatorlaw..

I did find Fluffy Fluffy Bun Bun to be the most annoying character in the game (even typing the name is annoying).. However, I think the character is supposed to be annoying... Which they clearly did a good job at, as shown by your mangled copy of toonstruck laying across the room laugh

Re: Toonstruck #88306
08/14/02 08:09 PM
08/14/02 08:09 PM
Body in California/Heart in Ha...
syd Offline
Adept Boomer
syd  Offline
Adept Boomer

Body in California/Heart in Ha...
[syd peeks head out from under table and says rather bodly]

Well I happened to like Toonstruck and Fluffy fluffy bun bun.

[syd quickly ducks back under table to avoid being hit by stuffed fluffy fluffy bun buns]

Dark Side : Risen
Light Side:

I can only please one person a day. Today isn't your day. Tomorrow's not looking good either.
Re: Toonstruck #88307
08/15/02 12:23 AM
08/15/02 12:23 AM
gatorlaw Offline
Adept Boomer
gatorlaw  Offline
Adept Boomer

Hmmmmm sounds like a smokescreen to me. Stuffed bun bun huh - sounds like a donut feast under that table. "Hand over the donuts or the bunny gets it."

*Stupid movie lines don't die they just get ripped off and used badly in forum posts*

Well I super glued and duct taped the hacked up copy of Toonstruck only to find that though it loaded - nothing but a video loop of FFBB weeping in the field would play. The game is now splintered and diced - far beyond further repair and will never serve to torment me again. heh-heh-heh

Laura

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Draclvr 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 232 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users