GAMEBOOMERS provides you with all the latest PC adventure computer games information, forum, walkthroughs, reviews and news.

GB Reviews

Latest & Upcoming Adventure Games

GB Annual Game Lists

GB Interviews

BAAGS

GB @ acebook

About Us

Walkthroughs

free games galore

Game Publishers & Developers

World of Adventure

Patches

GB @ witter

GameBoomers Store

Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Divine Divinity #885873
05/06/13 07:11 AM
05/06/13 07:11 AM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
Does anyone remember WHERE you find the way out of the Verdistis sewers? I'm going bonkers. I've killed 3 millions lizards throwing radioactive silly putty at me with my morningstar and stepped in a lot of stuff that makes me glad there's no such thing as Smell-O-Vision in this game but I keep winding up at the ladder that takes me right back where I started in Verdistis.

Gil.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: Divine Divinity [Re: traveler] #885921
05/06/13 11:19 AM
05/06/13 11:19 AM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Traveler, there are maps and instructions on Kiya's Divine Divinty site and some clearer ones at Game Banshee. I bet you can find what you need there. I remember using both those sites when I was playing through it.

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras
Re: Divine Divinity [Re: traveler] #885970
05/06/13 03:32 PM
05/06/13 03:32 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
That site at Game Banshee is great, l4l! Thanks! I took a peek at the map but my patience has slowly returned (like my stamina bar filling up without help) so now that I'm assured that I can get out.... Would you believe that the first alternate exit I found I can't unlock? Lay you odds it's the doctor's. grin

I love this game. Just when you think it's all over, there's another huge area to conquer.

I especially enjoy turning the bad guys into little rabbits and frogs. grin

Uh, are we supposed to hide stuff like that here? Just say if we are and I'll run back and hide it.

Gil.

"Best not to think about it. I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought."
Re: Divine Divinity [Re: traveler] #885976
05/06/13 03:39 PM
05/06/13 03:39 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
[spoiler][/spoiler]Hi ya Gil

If it's a story spoiler we hide it, but I don't think your remark is.

My favorite part was getting stronger and going back and swacking folks who I'd had to run from before.

The one big tip I remember from playing this is to leave the quest at the castle as long as possible. puppy

-Roger Caras
Re: Divine Divinity [Re: traveler] #885977
05/06/13 03:46 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
Jeez, I'm at 80 strength and I'm still having to run from the bandit leader! Lol! That guy is tough! I cannot imagine playing this game as the mage, especially if he's snarky and has a bad rep. My brainless warrior has enough trouble, but he is noble!

I hear you on the castle.

Gil.
She of a million saves.

Re: Divine Divinity [Re: looney4labs] #885978
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
"The one big tip I remember from playing this is to leave the quest at the castle as long as possible"

Yep !! That's a definite definite !!!! eek

Time : The Most Precious Commodity
Re: Divine Divinity [Re: traveler] #885980
05/06/13 04:09 PM
05/06/13 04:09 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Originally Posted By: traveler
Gil.
She of a million saves.

Lol, I did the same thing. I'd save before going in to stores and if they didn't have the spell book I wanted, I'd try again, and again, and again. puppy

-Roger Caras
Re: Divine Divinity [Re: traveler] #886338
05/08/13 01:43 PM
05/08/13 01:43 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
Oh, man, I love this game! My only regret at this point is that I didn't wait for the best charms on a couple of things and that I can't seem to kill that monstrosity in the doctor's basement. I'm blazing, I tell you, blazing! Funky lizards go down to my sword, poisonous zombies can't stop me, the World is Mine!! Ming, look to your laurels!

I just last night read nickie's review of the game and I wholeheartedly concur with that excellent forensic analysis. Her review (or his) deserves 5 stars itself.

So, in the far distant future, after I've finished it and assuming I don't go back and play it again on Normal or with a wimpy mage, grin does anyone have a recommendation for another RPG like this? I.e., with a great interface that is easy and intuitive for someone who hasn't played a real RPG until now? (Well, Neophyte. Does that count?)

Gil.
giddy with power

Re: Divine Divinity [Re: traveler] #886360
05/08/13 03:23 PM
05/08/13 03:23 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Reviews Editor - Hints/Glitches Mod - Site Support
Draclvr  Online Content
Graduate Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
Diablo II Lord of Destruction is a great dungeon crawler type game RPG. And of course, if you can keep yourself from falling in love with Geralt, you can't beat the first Witcher game.

There was a Divine Divinity II game, but it didn't seem to draw as many fans as the first game. I have the game on my Windows 7 computer, but still have to play the first Divine Divinity.

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Divine Divinity [Re: traveler] #886361
05/08/13 03:30 PM
05/08/13 03:30 PM
Alabama
looney4labs Offline
Sonic Boomer
looney4labs  Offline
Sonic Boomer

Alabama
Traveler, I'm so glad you are loving it. A lot of folks like Balder's Gate: Throne of Baal, but you would control a party in that game and the combat is turn based. It also has a great story.

Neverwinter's Night is another that many folks like but I never got far in it.

As Drac said, Witcher is lots of fun and has a good story. The combat is a little different, so I turned on the visual clue and that made a big difference for me.

I'll ask my RPG kids for some recommendations. lol

Edit: There is a List Here of some member favorites. Roll on past the Adventure Games to get to the Darkside. puppy

Last edited by looney4labs; 05/08/13 03:33 PM.

-Roger Caras
Re: Divine Divinity [Re: traveler] #886378
05/08/13 04:59 PM
05/08/13 04:59 PM
Denmark, Europe
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer
Karsten  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Denmark, Europe
Traveler:

You might like the Gothic games, or the Dragon Age games, starting with DA: Origins.

As for Baldur's Gate: Throne of Bhaal, please be carefull; this game is an expansion for Baldur's Gate: Shadows of Amn which in turn is a sequel to Baldur's Gate and BG: Tales of the Sword Coast.

You can buy the Baldur's Gate games at www.gog.com
and a lot of other interesting rpgs as well.

As for the combat in the Baldur Gate's games, it is sort of more round-based than turnbased. It it sometimes described as realtime combat with pause. You can pause the game at any time during combat, give orders and your 'figures/characters' will carry out these orders - in rounds.

Adventure gaming is fun smile

Re: Divine Divinity [Re: traveler] #886379
05/08/13 05:00 PM
05/08/13 05:00 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
"Diablo II Lord of Destruction is a great dungeon crawler type game RPG."

Hey, Draclvr,

I'll put that on my list but I am not terribly fond of ugly dungeons. The country in DD is lovely, especially the ponds in which you can see your wavering reflection.

"And of course, if you can keep yourself from falling in love with Geralt, you can't beat the first Witcher game."

For some reason, I like short men so I can probably resist. grin But I have The Witcher. I should try it. Later. After I run out of worlds to conquer in Divine Divinity. Woo hoo!

"I...still have to play the first Divine Divinity."

Oh, Drac!! Set aside...a month?...and go for it! You'll love this game!

And hey to you, l4l,

"A lot of folks like Balder's Gate: Throne of Baal, but you would control a party in that game and the combat is turn based. It also has a great story."

Um, I'm not sure about controlling a party but I wasn't sure about this game either so I'll put that on my list. What is 'turn based'?

"As Drac said, Witcher is lots of fun and has a good story. The combat is a little different, so I turned on the visual clue and that made a big difference for me."

I hope it doesn't require much more dexterity. grin

"I'll ask my RPG kids for some recommendations."

Ask the four year old. That should be about right.

Has anyone got an opinion on the new game from the makers of Planescape Torment, Tides of Numenera? It looks great on Kickstarter but I have no clue how difficult it might be.

Thank you guys for the replies and the link to the list of faves, l4l.

Gil.

Re: Divine Divinity [Re: Karsten] #886382
05/08/13 05:07 PM
05/08/13 05:07 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
Hey, Karsten,

I have Gothic Gold some edition. I think GOG gave it away. Anyway, it's sitting on my shelf.

"As for the combat in the Baldur Gate's games, it is sort of more round-based than turnbased. It it sometimes described as realtime combat with pause. You can pause the game at any time during combat, give orders and your 'figures/characters' will carry out these orders - in rounds."

Well, the pause option sounds good but I'm at a loss again. Turn-based? Real-time? When you say the characters carry out orders in rounds...does that mean that first one does it, then another?

Gil.

Re: Divine Divinity [Re: traveler] #886383
05/08/13 05:13 PM
05/08/13 05:13 PM
Alaska
lanlynk Offline
Settled Boomer
lanlynk  Offline
Settled Boomer

Alaska
I especially enjoy turning the bad guys into little rabbits and frogs.

Oh, Gil, you just triggered a hilarious flashback for me! You know how games always invoke these great memories that stay with you forever?

Well, I had just turned some enemy into a rabbit, and he hopped away through a secret door. Soon after, the game gave me a cut scene where the main villain was standing there doing the usual boss bragging thing. Then he says, "I want to introduce you to my little friends." In walks several of his bad guy team, including the one hopping in still as a bunny! It was so funny!

"Wow, what tough-looking henchmen you have! I'm trembling in my boots--with laughter" rotfl

EDIT:
Quote:
Well, the pause option sounds good but I'm at a loss again. Turn-based? Real-time? When you say the characters carry out orders in rounds...does that mean that first one does it, then another?

Not exactly, it basically means that your team gets to carry out their moves, then the enemy gets a chance. This continues until the battle is done. In real time versions, you have immediate control over what moves your team makes. With pause, you can take time to rethink strategies and switch them around during battle, but all the action feels very real. Of course, you don't have to pause either. Just go for it!

RE: Hack and slash games: Have you tried Sacred Gold? If I remember correctly, it was a lot like DD. And nice graphics too.

Last edited by lanlynk; 05/08/13 05:31 PM.

"Dragons were never gone. They were just invisible and very, very quiet." ~ M'aiq the Liar (Skyrim)
Re: Divine Divinity [Re: traveler] #886387
05/08/13 05:44 PM
05/08/13 05:44 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
"...I had just turned some enemy into a rabbit, and he hopped away through a secret door. Soon after, the game gave me a cut scene where the main villain was standing there doing the usual boss bragging thing. Then he says, "I want to introduce you to my little friends." In walks several of his bad guy team, including the one hopping in still as a bunny! It was so funny!"

"Wow, what tough-looking henchmen you have! I'm trembling in my boots--with laughter" rotfl

lanlnk,

That is hysterical! What game was it?

DD is hack and slash? Well, maybe so. I'll go look up Sacred Gold. Thanks!

Gil.

Re: Divine Divinity [Re: traveler] #886392
05/08/13 06:18 PM
05/08/13 06:18 PM
Alaska
lanlynk Offline
Settled Boomer
lanlynk  Offline
Settled Boomer

Alaska
lanlnk,

That is hysterical! What game was it?

DD is hack and slash? Well, maybe so. I'll go look up Sacred Gold. Thanks!

Oh, sorry. It was Divine Divinity.

RE: Hack and Slash. Refers more to the action type RPGs with emphasis on fighting. All these categories seem to overlap now days though.

Also, for another suggestion: the first Dungeon Siege games came out about the same time as Divine Divinity.

Dungeon Siege Complete at Steam

Sacred Gold at GOG

Sacred Gold II at Steam

EDIT: Just found this list. It lists 10 games with videos.
The 10 Best Action RPGs Between Diablo 2 and Diablo 3

Last edited by lanlynk; 05/08/13 06:33 PM.

"Dragons were never gone. They were just invisible and very, very quiet." ~ M'aiq the Liar (Skyrim)
Re: Divine Divinity [Re: traveler] #886406
05/08/13 07:35 PM
05/08/13 07:35 PM
Near St. Louis, MO
Draclvr Online content
Draclvr  Online Content
Graduate Boomer

Near St. Louis, MO
So many games, so little time! Gil, I'd love to take a month to just play, play, play! Would you come here and take care of my 140 tomato plants and spread the 2 tons of mulch I have out by the barn on all the perennial beds? And while you're here you can shovel horse poo for me a couple of times a week down at Longmeadow Rescue Ranch? Oh, yeah... That works for me!

Gardens put to bed for the winter. Time for some gaming!
Re: Divine Divinity [Re: Draclvr] #886408
05/08/13 07:59 PM
05/08/13 07:59 PM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
I thought the "King's Bounty" games were good fun and not too difficult - although not as "serious" as some grin

[There's a review of both HERE]

Most of the other RPGs I've played have required managing a party but with "turn based" combat and a "pause button" I can usually cope - even though I can be an absolute wimp at times where combat is concerned lol

Baldur's Gat, Neverwinter Nights and the two Knights of the Old Republic are just some of my favourites where managing a party is the thing. And that's because they are not all combat. They have good storylines thumbsup

Re: Divine Divinity [Re: Mad] #886420
05/08/13 10:20 PM
05/08/13 10:20 PM
Alaska
lanlynk Offline
Settled Boomer
lanlynk  Offline
Settled Boomer

Alaska
Originally Posted By: Mad
I thought the "King's Bounty" games were good fun and not too difficult - although not as "serious" as some ...

I can be an absolute wimp at times where combat is concerned ...

Baldur's Gat, Neverwinter Nights and the two Knights of the Old Republic are just some of my favourites where managing a party is the thing. And that's because they are not all combat. They have good storylines thumbsup

I have the King's Bounty, but I've only waded in a bit. It does look like fun though. I think it's the only time I've tried a basic turn-based game.

Right with you on the story focused games, rather than action: Baldur's Gate, NWN, KOTOR, Dragon Age. But I also liked Witcher and all the Elder Scrolls games even though they're more real-time and not party combat.

Re: Divine Divinity [Re: traveler] #886520
05/09/13 11:04 AM
05/09/13 11:04 AM
Denmark, Europe
Karsten Offline
Addicted Boomer
Karsten  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Denmark, Europe
Realtime combat with pause is basically what lanlynk is saying that is. I can continue by saying this:

You give you guys orders, the enemy give his guys orders; and then you release the pause button. The actions for both you guys and the enemy's will be carried out at the same time. But at individual rounds/turns. It takes longer for a spellcaster to cast a spell than it does for a thief to throw a dagger and so on...

1 turn in Baldur's Gate is 6 seconds, while a round is 60 seconds.

Adventure gaming is fun smile

Re: Divine Divinity [Re: traveler] #886541
05/09/13 12:49 PM
05/09/13 12:49 PM
Toronto, Canada
Rowan Offline
Addicted Boomer
Rowan  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Toronto, Canada
My first RPG was Divine Divinity and I liked it so much I asked for further recommendations. My second was Morrowind which I loved even more. I'm just not sure where you can get it any more. But it's part of the Elder Scrolls series so any of those games are excellent.

Re: Divine Divinity [Re: traveler] #886575
05/09/13 03:32 PM
05/09/13 03:32 PM
Rivellon
T
traveler Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
traveler  Offline OP
Addicted Boomer
T

Rivellon
Rowan, thanks! Morrowind is on the Wishlist at GOG so I just went and voted for it. It's # 3 on the list now!

Grim is #1 and surprisingly, the game that isn't even out yet, Tides of Numenera, is #2.

I have a feeling we'll see 2 or 3 long before 1 shows up. But ya never know!

Gil.

Re: Divine Divinity [Re: traveler] #886652
05/10/13 02:48 AM
05/10/13 02:48 AM
United Kingdom
Mad Offline
Sonic Boomer
Mad  Offline
Sonic Boomer

United Kingdom
Ahhhhh !! Morrowind !! One of the best RPGs ever made bravo bravo bravo

Re: Divine Divinity [Re: traveler] #886661
05/10/13 03:49 AM
05/10/13 03:49 AM
Lost in the Arizona Desert
oldman Offline
Addicted Boomer
oldman  Offline
Addicted Boomer

Lost in the Arizona Desert
Morrowind GOTY is available right now for $19.99 on Steam.

You laugh because I'm different
I laugh because you're all the same

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

John
Re: Divine Divinity [Re: traveler] #886725
05/10/13 11:40 AM
05/10/13 11:40 AM
Tacoma, Washington
Annie Offline
Settled Boomer
Annie  Offline
Settled Boomer

Tacoma, Washington
This was my first rpg too, and I still love it. I must have played it at least a dozen times. Recently I played it again just to seen how much stuff I could steal.

Annie
Farewell, Achenar!
"Perhaps the ending has not yet been written."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Trail_Mystic 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Koala), 147 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Staff, Mod
Newest Members
PierreLombardo, Dux, WillPowerGoat, Ebalon, J7769mon
9388 Registered Users